Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Yeah, so I just got a new laptop. It can run Skyrim at decent settings, it can run Portal at max specs perfectly, and I've rigged it to work with my PS4 controller and hook up to my HDTV, so I might get into some PC gaming.

But can it run Crysis?

I just got a gaming PC myself. I've modded the karz out of Skyrim and am now looking into getting Spore.

I'm not going to try, I'll just feel like a failure. :P

But I've been playing a decent bit of Asphalt 8 recently (free decent windows 8 racing game), love the fact that I can play games on my TV with my PS4 controller.

And I'm loving that I can now do the final Testchamber of Portal without hitting some SERIOUS lag at the end...

I hate PS2/PS3 controllers. They are just uncomfortable to me. I don't like the placement of the sticks and the grips and everything about them. The only thing I like is how they aren't just ABXY, so I don't have to think about hitting buttons, which I guess I'd take over hitting X in place of Y and B in place of A (curse you Microsoft!)

I hate PS2/PS3 controllers. They are just uncomfortable to me. I don't like the placement of the sticks and the grips and everything about them. The only thing I like is how they aren't just ABXY, so I don't have to think about hitting buttons, which I guess I'd take over hitting X in place of Y and B in place of A (curse you Microsoft!)

I'm no expert on game controllers having basically only ever owned Nintendo systems, but I would think ABXY would be a great deal easier to memorize than a series of shapes. And I think Microsoft may have the right idea with brightly-colored buttons—if you do have to glance down to see which button is where, I feel colors would make the recognition more instantaneous. Nintendo did something similar with the Gamecube, with some buttons being different colors and all buttons being different shapes. I never really appreciated it at the time (I felt like the Gamecube layout was weird, and the weirdly shaped and colored buttons didn't help), but over time I've grown to see the advantage—you don't have to look down at all to tell which button is which, since onscreen tutorials and prompts can show the shape of the button and you can feel which one it is. Sometimes I wonder why no company has done this since (not even Nintendo themselves).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm no expert on game controllers having basically only ever owned Nintendo systems, but I would think ABXY would be a great deal easier to memorize than a series of shapes. And I think Microsoft may have the right idea with brightly-colored buttons—if you do have to glance down to see which button is where, I feel colors would make the recognition more instantaneous. Nintendo did something similar with the Gamecube, with some buttons being different colors and all buttons being different shapes. I never really appreciated it at the time (I felt like the Gamecube layout was weird, and the weirdly shaped and colored buttons didn't help), but over time I've grown to see the advantage—you don't have to look down at all to tell which button is which, since onscreen tutorials and prompts can show the shape of the button and you can feel which one it is. Sometimes I wonder why no company has done this since (not even Nintendo themselves).

Gamecube controller is the best controller I've ever used. The problem I have with Xbox controllers is when I'm told to hit "A", I instinctively hit the button on the right. I'm not going to take the time to glance down. I'm sure that "X" would give me trouble on Sony if I hadn't grown up on Playstation, but the rest of the buttons are different, so I found it easy to adjust.

What I'd really love to see in a (modern) controller is octagonal restrictors for the analog sticks. Those are FANTASTIC if you want to use an analog stick in a fighting game. Although they aren't really as useful with anything else...

Anyways, I just got MadWorld (which will probably be one of the last Wii games I'll ever buy- I'm planning on getting Pandora's Tower and MAYBE Skyward Sword soon, and that's pretty much it), it's good so far, although the clunky camera, slow combat, and all black-and-white (with some red) color scheme all get kinda... Annoying. Still, it was highly recommended by the person at the cash register and I've loved every Platinum game I've played, so I'll probably see this one through.

What I'd really love to see in a (modern) controller is octagonal restrictors for the analog sticks. Those are FANTASTIC if you want to use an analog stick in a fighting game. Although they aren't really as useful with anything else...

Anyways, I just got MadWorld (which will probably be one of the last Wii games I'll ever buy- I'm planning on getting Pandora's Tower and MAYBE Skyward Sword soon, and that's pretty much it), it's good so far, although the clunky camera, slow combat, and all black-and-white (with some red) color scheme all get kinda... Annoying. Still, it was highly recommended by the person at the cash register and I've loved every Platinum game I've played, so I'll probably see this one through.

Octagonal restrictors? You mean like the GCN controller had? Those were such awesome controllers.

I've heard good things about Pandora's Tower, but I can't say I'd recommend Skyward Sword. I'm sure you've heard plenty of flak about the controls, and they were honestly one of the better parts of the game IMO.

If you combined the GCN controller's design, Dualshock 4's buttons, and Xbox's analog sticks, you'd simply have the most amazing controller in the world.

I kinda feel guilty about not having Pandora's Tower yet, as I was in the Operation Rainfall campaign a while back sending letters to Nintendo that basically amounted to "BRING OVER XENOBLADE, THE LAST STORY, AND PANDORA'S TOWER AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY MONEY!!!1!", except they were more polite and had good grammar. Well, I guess since XSeed released it, I don't feel too bad...

And the maybe on SS was a huge maybe. I've yet to actually finish a Zelda game (been working on OoT for what, 7 years now?), and TP's motion controls bug me to no end, so I'm pretty sure if I ever get it, it'll be because I've beaten every other Zelda game and want to finish them all... And that won't happen anytime soon.

Now that I think about it... I'd really like Mistwalker to make a Zelda game. The Last Story was a great almost-Zelda game, and Nintendo seems more willing to team up with outside devs on their big games now then they were a while back...

If you combined the GCN controller's design, Dualshock 4's buttons, and Xbox's analog sticks, you'd simply have the most amazing controller in the world.

I kinda feel guilty about not having Pandora's Tower yet, as I was in the Operation Rainfall campaign a while back sending letters to Nintendo that basically amounted to "BRING OVER XENOBLADE, THE LAST STORY, AND PANDORA'S TOWER AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY MONEY!!!1!", except they were more polite and had good grammar. Well, I guess since XSeed released it, I don't feel too bad...

And the maybe on SS was a huge maybe. I've yet to actually finish a Zelda game (been working on OoT for what, 7 years now?), and TP's motion controls bug me to no end, so I'm pretty sure if I ever get it, it'll be because I've beaten every other Zelda game and want to finish them all... And that won't happen anytime soon.

Now that I think about it... I'd really like Mistwalker to make a Zelda game. The Last Story was a great almost-Zelda game, and Nintendo seems more willing to team up with outside devs on their big games now then they were a while back...

Not sure I want Dualshock buttons. The Gamecube had a better layout, and I don't think I could adjust to having Playstation buttons on that layout :P

I also campaigned with Operation Rainfall, only to not buy any of the games. I got Xenoblade a few months ago, but haven't opened it yet.

I'm not sure I want Mistwalker to do Zelda. I've yet to play The Last Story, but I believe it's more of an RPG, and while Zelda II was great, I'm not sure I want more RPG elements in Zelda. Maybe a level up system, but I hate grinding in games, and every RPG I've ever played has forced me to grind at one point or another.

Not sure I want Dualshock buttons. The Gamecube had a better layout, and I don't think I could adjust to having Playstation buttons on that layout :P

I also campaigned with Operation Rainfall, only to not buy any of the games. I got Xenoblade a few months ago, but haven't opened it yet.

I'm not sure I want Mistwalker to do Zelda. I've yet to play The Last Story, but I believe it's more of an RPG, and while Zelda II was great, I'm not sure I want more RPG elements in Zelda. Maybe a level up system, but I hate grinding in games, and every RPG I've ever played has forced me to grind at one point or another.

I like the DS4's triggers, plus it has a touchpad and Start/Select... er, Option/Share buttons. The Cube had a good ABXY layout, although I slightly prefer the standard + layout for the face buttons.

If they took out the level system in TLS, it would basically be just like Zelda, albeit a bit more strategy-focused and with less puzzles. Also, compared to other RPGs, TLS requires little grinding (levels don't matter nearly as much as weapons), and it's quite easy to overlevel yourself just by grinding for a short while. Anyways, the big thing that makes the two feel similar is the setting, I could easily see TLS taking part in another part of the Zelda world (and it has voice acting. WHICH I'D REALLY LIKE IN A ZELDA GAME.). Also, this:

Zangurak+looks+like....+Who+else+thought

Can't forget Mario Party preferably the first three, my friends and I very rarely complete a board since we get too into yelling death threats at each other, to add fuel to the fire my friend and I want to have a Mario Party game where each player pays $5 to join and the winner gets it all.

I'm just ToaD

(and it has voice acting. WHICH I'D REALLY LIKE IN A ZELDA GAME.).

YES. I will be legitimately if Zelda HD doesn't have voice acting.

played mario kart for the first time ever today. won my first race, but my friend was so upset she didn't speak to me directly for nearly ten minutes. :^(

How was this your first time? Like... HOW? Did you have no childhood?

Mario Kart never destroyed frienships for me. It's actually fairly balanced (you can doge blue shells in the Wii version), and my friends and I were all way too good at it (anyone else unlock Mii Outfit B in Mario Kart Wii?)

It was always Mario Party that ruined friendships.

I'm absolutely terrible at Mario Kart. Heck, I'm bad at most Mario-type games.

In other news: Thoughts on Titanfall PC? Somebody who has it, enlighten me if it is a worthy purchase.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Mario Kart is that one game that always makes people hate each other, no matter what. I'm surprised that it was only ten minutes.

she's a real sweetheart

not really. i didn't get into pokemon until i was fourteen, and i only started playing video games when i was thirteen. nothing up until then since my family was so poor. outside of lego i had next to nothing as a kid.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

So we got a Mario Kart 8 Direct... the final character reveals were pretty terrible, in my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of small Mario characters that aren't baby versions of characters we already have, and now we have another one.

Plus the "metal version" precedent has been expanded upon - so there's that to look forward to in the future as well. Ugh. >.<

On the bright side, everything else about the game looks great (although the lack of Wario Coliseum from Double-Dash makes me sad), and it's even nicer when I can grab Wind Waker HD for free alongside it!

not really. i didn't get into pokemon until i was fourteen, and i only started playing video games when i was thirteen. nothing up until then since my family was so poor. outside of lego i had next to nothing as a kid.

Oh. Sorry to hear that.

I've actually not been able to get into Pokemon, though some friends of mine have talked me into doing some kind of odd style of run (involving the naming of every Pokemon and the killing off of fainted ones?), and so I'm looking into which of these games would be the best to do it for.

So we got a Mario Kart 8 Direct... the final character reveals were pretty terrible, in my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of small Mario characters that aren't baby versions of characters we already have, and now we have another one.

Plus the "metal version" precedent has been expanded upon - so there's that to look forward to in the future as well. Ugh. >.<

On the bright side, everything else about the game looks great (although the lack of Wario Coliseum from Double-Dash makes me sad), and it's even nicer when I can grab Wind Waker HD for free alongside it!

Yeah, really. Baby Rosalina? You take my least favorite concept for Mario Kart characters (babies), and mix it with someone who was the coolest character ever in her debut and has been tacked on meaninglessly in every other game since then besides Smash Bros., and what do you get? An even worse character decision than the Queen Bee and Metal Mario in Mario Kart 7 (who apparently were more important to add than Waluigi?) Adding all of the Koopalings was pretty bad, especially since Bowser Jr. isn't making the cut, and I can't even use BZPower appropriate words to describe how awestruck I am that Pink Gold Peach is actually a thing that, not only did they consider in more than just passing thought, but actually approved, modeled, playtested, and are including in the final package.

Like, seriously?

I'm still convinced it's some kind of hoax.

Yeah, I'm really glad Wiggler and Queen Bee aren't returning, and I'm shocked that Nintendo thought two metal characters was a good idea... we'll be seeing Metal Luigi and Metal Yoshi next.

I'll probably just stick to Koopa Troopa anyway - he's my default racer.

I've actually not been able to get into Pokemon, though some friends of mine have talked me into doing some kind of odd style of run (involving the naming of every Pokemon and the killing off of fainted ones?), and so I'm looking into which of these games would be the best to do it for.

Oh

A nuzlocke run.

Hm...well, I've only attempted a Nuzlocke run (Well, something similar to it but I won't complicate things with subsets of Nuzlocke) and didn't finish it in X and Y. However, I'd say...maybe Platinum? Platinum is one of my favorite Pokemon games, and it's decently challenging (Gym 2 is a nightmare with the Water-type starter and nothing else...) so maybe try Platinum.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I'm kind of upset. I've been getting back into Fire Emblem Awakening lately, and had intended to pass down Lancebreaker to Yarne. But when I went into his mission I found that he received a lame skill from Kellam and nothing from Panne. Apparently, I must have gone into that mission and quit long before I had any decent skills on either of his parents, which I didn't know was a problem. And worse, I don't know how many of the other kids I've done that with, meaning a lot of my tireless training and reclassing might have been for nothing.

It's really a letdown, and I might end up quitting the game again because of it. I just don't have the energy to start over but continuing this current file feels like it could be a waste. :(

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Oh

A nuzlocke run.

Hm...well, I've only attempted a Nuzlocke run (Well, something similar to it but I won't complicate things with subsets of Nuzlocke) and didn't finish it in X and Y. However, I'd say...maybe Platinum? Platinum is one of my favorite Pokemon games, and it's decently challenging (Gym 2 is a nightmare with the Water-type starter and nothing else...) so maybe try Platinum.

They've told me to Let's Play it, and since I don't wish to use emulators, DS/3DS games are kinda out of range.

Yeah, I'm really glad Wiggler and Queen Bee aren't returning, and I'm shocked that Nintendo thought two metal characters was a good idea... we'll be seeing Metal Luigi and Metal Yoshi next.

I'll probably just stick to Koopa Troopa anyway - he's my default racer.

I'm waiting for the day they drop Luigi and Yoshi all together in favor of Baby Metal Queen Bee.

Oh

A nuzlocke run.

They've told me to Let's Play it, and since I don't wish to use emulators, DS/3DS games are kinda out of range.

That means you have a choice beween the incredibly broken and buggy 1st gen games (Why people are so enamored with them, I'll never know...), Gen 2 which is a huge improvement on Gen 1, and Gen 3, which is more modern and is also a sizable improvement on Gen 2. However, Gen 2 has the largest postgame, as there is an entire set of 8 gyms after you beat the E4-and they are freaking HARD gyms, too.

Gen 1 and 2 are on GB/GB color, and Gen 3 is GBA exclusive.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Oh

A nuzlocke run.

That means you have a choice beween the incredibly broken and buggy 1st gen games (Why people are so enamored with them, I'll never know...), Gen 2 which is a huge improvement on Gen 1, and Gen 3, which is more modern and is also a sizable improvement on Gen 2. However, Gen 2 has the largest postgame, as there is an entire set of 8 gyms after you beat the E4-and they are freaking HARD gyms, too.

Gen 1 and 2 are on GB/GB color, and Gen 3 is GBA exclusive.

Gen 3 sounds best to me, since I don't plan on doing much postgame. What version from Gen 3 should I get?

• Upvote 1

Ohey I tried Brawl again and suddenly I like playing as Marth. I has third main nao! Other two are Sonic and Toon Link, both of whom I have gushed over previously in the topic. =P Anyways I especially like hitting my friends on a platform by doing a sliding up-smash. Or repeatedly down-throwing them. Or Countering extremely telegraphed attacks. And I'm still not that great at Smash!

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Gen 3 sounds best to me, since I don't plan on doing much postgame. What version from Gen 3 should I get?

Emerald. Definitely Emerald.

BEST POKEMON GAME EVER

(I will admit that Generation II games are very enjoyable, but nothing can beat Emerald for me)

emerald was my least favourite it was just so boring. i could never get past the fourth gym, the pokedex was so barren, the extra features were just done so much better in dppt...

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I prefer Gen. II for Pokemon, although that's just because those were the ones I really liked before I stopped playing, and I didn't really like any of the games released after D/P.

Also, I used to play some MMOs with some of my IRL friends, although I've been out of touch with that for a while. It was fun, though. I sometimes still play DS/3DS games with my friends online, although none of my friends have a PS3, so I can't do console multiplayer games with them, which kinda sucks.

And Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was revealed earlier, and... I'm actually kinda excited for it. I'm thinking it was the Kevin Spacey narration that sold me.

For all of you who have Xbox Live Gold out there, one of my favorite games ever, Dust: An Elysian Tail, is free right now.

I would really suggest picking it up.

(also couch co-op is infinitely better in almost every regard.)