Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

For all of you who have Xbox Live Gold out there, one of my favorite games ever, Dust: An Elysian Tail, is free right now.

I would really suggest picking it up.

(also couch co-op is infinitely better in almost every regard.)

Already got Dust during Steam Winter Sale.

then i got it in a humble bundle and gave it to blade, I think.

emerald was my least favourite it was just so boring. i could never get past the fourth gym, the pokedex was so barren, the extra features were just done so much better in dppt...

Emerald is...eh, but out of the choices Emerald was one of the better ones (Gen II is nice, though.)

D/P/Pt and HG/SS are my favorite main series pokemon games, though. Favorite Pokemon game overall, thought? No. Platinum takes second place for that.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Also, has anyone here played online co-op with a someone they know IRL? Best feeling in the world.

I dunno, I much prefer to do co-op in the same room.

Specifically, co-op with you, your friend on the couch, a distant friend and his couch friend?

Edited by Dapper-Kun

Morally unambiguous.

Also, has anyone here played online co-op with a someone they know IRL? Best feeling in the world.

I dunno, I much prefer to do co-op in the same room.

Specifically, co-op with you, your friend on the couch, a distant friend and his couch friend?

Okay. That works.

Local Multiplayer > Online Multiplayer.

Mario Kart Wii and Kid Icarus: Uprising are the only games I've ever gotten into online for (though I did some Brawl back in the day, it just frustrates me now).

I remember how, as a kid, if the game included a mutliplayer mode, it was suddenly way awesomer. Now, I never touch multiplayer modes in a single player game. When I do multiplayer, it's in a dedicated game, like a racer or fighter or shooter.

Can someone please tell me what exactly is so appealing about Emerald compared to the rest of the games? Honestly, Hoenn is probably the region with the least amount of Pokemon designs that I can go 'awesome!'. Maybe the plot? I dunno, but regardless, I'm unlikely to play the game.

Anyone really like the music from Pokemon? Among my favorites for battle music are the HGSS mixes of the Gym Leader theme, their Champion remix, BW2's Gym Leader theme, and Cynthia's theme. For other cities... Driftveil. Driftveil's music is amazing. Oh, and I really like Eterna City's theme too. So relaxing....

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Can someone please tell me what exactly is so appealing about Emerald compared to the rest of the games? Honestly, Hoenn is probably the region with the least amount of Pokemon designs that I can go 'awesome!'. Maybe the plot? I dunno, but regardless, I'm unlikely to play the game.

Anyone really like the music from Pokemon? Among my favorites for battle music are the HGSS mixes of the Gym Leader theme, their Champion remix, BW2's Gym Leader theme, and Cynthia's theme. For other cities... Driftveil. Driftveil's music is amazing. Oh, and I really like Eterna City's theme too. So relaxing....

-Generation III is where I came in, so you have nostalgia factor.

-I did enjoy the story. I also liked having two criminal teams (especially in the segments where one team would help you defeat the other - they weren't your run-of-the-mill villains, but rather more like anti-hero groups).

-I liked the layout of the region; not as much as Generation I or II, but definitely leagues more than IV, V, or VI.

-The music for Emerald (and Ruby/Sapphire) is rather unique in its style compared to the rest of the series, and I really liked the new themes and variations on old themes.

-Generation III holds many of my favorite Pokemon designs, as well as some of my favorite Pokemon period. Swellow, Grovyle, Rayquaza... I could list the Generation III Pokemon that I like all day. The only other Generation that matches it for me is the first.

-I dislike the music in Generations V and VI, and the music in IV doesn't stand out very much.

Eh... Took a listen to the Gym Leader and Elite Four songs of X and Y, and I gotta say... Trying something new is not always a good thing. The themes arent bad, just.... Highly unfitting for the bosses of the game. They are WAY too slow compared to previous songs, and there's hardly any melody. It feels more like an extended intro to me. Lysandre's theme is better, but the leader of the evil Team deserves something better than a remix of the Grunt theme.

This one's more of a nitpick, but I miss the way they handled VS screens in the DS games! You and your opponent had pixel portraits that clashed on the screen, and UUUUUGGGGH IT WAS SO COOL! And with Gen V's songs having epic chords going down while this was happening, oh man, I always got pumped to fight! Sadly, in Gen VI, this appears to be replaced with Sugimori art intros, and rarely 3D models. Eh...

Also, can someone explain to me why fans hate friendly rivals? I though friendship was an important theme in Pokemon? Am I really the only guy who appreciates that Hugh/Barry/Anyone besides Blue or Silver isn't a total prick? Dont gey me wrong, Silver especially is pretty cool, but why is it blasphemous to like friendship?

EDIT: I actually prefer Gen V to IV, even with nostalgia factored in. I will admit a great deal of my favorite Pokemon come from IV though (Lucario, Staraptor, Torterra, etc.)

Edited by Edea Lee

-Generation III is where I came in, so you have nostalgia factor.

this is the only relevant thing when discussing games within the pokemon community

people just prefer the games they started with.

Go into any Pokemon discussion forum and say that. You will be swarmed. If you're using me to represent your opinion of the Pokemon fandom, look elsewhere, because I'm not your guy.

@JiMing: Yes, the music in VI is terrible. As for friendly rivals... for me, in the recent generations with the friendly rivals, it feels like it has accompanied a consistent increase in the "kid-friendly" look Pokemon goes for, alongside a slow-but-sure simplification of the story (apparently Generation V is the opposite of this, but I couldn't stand those games regardless). There's some dynamic in the antagonistic-rivalry that characters like Blue and Silver provide that just improves the overall experience.

you're acting like you're the only experience i've had with the pokemon community

Go into any Pokemon discussion forum and say that. You will be swarmed.

that swarming

that is the denial i am talking about

everyone is so militant with their nostalgia they refuse to believe that any other generation is better and will scream bloodthirsty things when it is suggested that nostalgia is the reason they're saying that

like, the generations are more or less equal. it just comes down to preference. and everyone prefers the one they started with. i dont know why. they just do. its bad in other communities but it is worst in the pokemon one.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Really? You think the games have been getting more kid-friendly? On the surface, maybe, but I daresay it's the opposite. Let's see, in Gen IV, the main villain Cyrus is a sociopath who's locked away his emotions and wants to reset all of existence. And after you beat him, he does not change his ways, but vows to achieve his goal one way or another! And in V, the main villain Ghetsis is a manipulative mastermind who warps the mind of his own adopted son to meet his goal to seperate everyone from their Pokemon so he can us ethem all and take over the world with ease. Then when he is defeated, Ghetsis slowly loses more and more of his sanity while he changes gears to freeze all of Unova. And when he is beaten that time, he finally snaps and turns into a raving lunatic unable to do cause any further evil. And for Gen VI, the main vilain Lysandre wants to commit mass genocide to kill off all those who are not loyal to him in order to solve the Malthusian problem. And when you defeat him, he tries to take you down with him, either dying, or more scarily, becoming completely immortal along with his grunts, yet trapped underground for who knows how long. And the Pokedex entries? Also getting Darker and Edgier. You know, with Yamask apparently being the spirits of people interred in graves? Or how Gourgeist 'sings joyfully as it observes the suffering of it's prey'? That't just the ghosts, too.

Case in point, I'd say Pokemon is slowly getting Edgier instead of Friendlier. There may not be any swearing or blood, but the content in the newer games maaaay not be entirely appropriate for children.

As for nostalgia, I am still able to point out flaws in Gen IV. For example, you only have a choice between two Fire-type lines, one being the starter. The reason I still say it's better is because of the improvements made on the mechanics from previous generations, like making moves physical or special based on the move itself, rather than the type.

Edited by Edea Lee
  • Upvote 1

I'm down with the whole Nostalgia thing being the reason everyone's first Pokemon is their favorite.

Although I'd also say that there are other reasons to prefer one generation over another, biggest thing for me is the visuals. I thought I was okay for a GB game, II was pretty good, III was kinda bland, IV was pretty good, V's battle were even worse than Gen. I, and VI... I just hate those 3D models.

I might get X or Y sometime just for the sake of trying them, but I have so many other JRPGs I'm currently/will be working on that I have no idea when I'll get the chance.

Also: Is it still a thing that the Player Character is 10?

Generation I involved the illegal capture, torture, and selling of Pokemon on the black market, I believe. Generation II was Team Rocket attempting to re-form so that they could continue.

Team Aqua wanted to wipe out all land. Team Magma wanted to wipe out all water.

The older generations have villains just like the latter generations.

Voltex: *facepalm* No, they didn't. Giovanni was a stereotypical crime boss. Archie and Maxie were misguided. Again, Cyrus was a sociopath and both Ghetsis and Lysandre are flat out insane. And no matter how you spin it, mass genocide beats illegal selling of Pokemon.

@Raku Ichijo: For what it's worth, the protagonists from Black and White were said to be older than previous protagonists. Given that though, they could be anywhere from 15 to 20. According to players of X and Y, depending on the clothes and hairstyles you choose, the player characters can look younger than Red or appear to be college students.

Edited by Edea Lee

Voltex: *facepalm* No, they didn't. Giovanni was a stereotypical crime boss. Archie and Maxie were misguided. Again, Cyrus was a sociopath and both Ghetsis and Lysandre are flat out insane. And no matter how you spin it, mass genocide beats illegal selling of Pokemon.

@Raku Ichijo: For what it's worth, the protagonists from Black and White were said to be older than previous protagonists. Given that though, they could be anywhere from 15 to 20. According to players of X and Y, depending on the clothes and hairstyles you choose, the player characters can look younger like read or appear to be college students.

And stereotypical crime bosses aren't dark and gritty?

It's not as if I'm saying Pokemon went from being "Call of Duty" to being "Mario"; it's more like it's gone from "Super Paper Mario" to "Paper Mario: Sticker Star"; it was child-friendly to begin with, but with everything being simplified (including the story), it is only becoming more child-friendly.

As for Lysandre... I have difficulty taking a villain seriously when their goal is to make everything more fashionable, or whatever his team's silly goals were. That was 50% of the reason I stopped playing X.

Really? You think the games have been getting more kid-friendly? On the surface, maybe, but I daresay it's the opposite. Let's see, in Gen IV, the main villain Cyrus is a sociopath who's locked away his emotions and wants to reset all of existence. And after you beat him, he does not change his ways, but vows to achieve his goal one way or another! And in V, the main villain Ghetsis is a manipulative mastermind who warps the mind of his own adopted son to meet his goal to seperate everyone from their Pokemon so he can us ethem all and take over the world with ease. Then when he is defeated, Ghetsis slowly loses more and more of his sanity while he changes gears to freeze all of Unova. And when he is beaten that time, he finally snaps and turns into a raving lunatic unable to do cause any further evil. And for Gen VI, the main vilain Lysandre wants to commit mass genocide to kill off all those who are not loyal to him in order to solve the Malthusian problem. And when you defeat him, he tries to take you down with him, either dying, or more scarily, becoming completely immortal along with his grunts, yet trapped underground for who knows how long. And the Pokedex entries? Also getting Darker and Edgier. You know, with Yamask apparently being the spirits of people interred in graves? Or how Gourgeist 'sings joyfully as it observes the suffering of it's prey'? That't just the ghosts, too.

Case in point, I'd say Pokemon is slowly getting Edgier instead of Friendlier. There may not be any swearing or blood, but the content in the newer games maaaay not be entirely appropriate for children.

As for nostalgia, I am still able to point out flaws in Gen IV. For example, you only have a choice between two Fire-type lines, one being the starter. The reason I still say it's better is because of the improvements made on the mechanics from previous generations, like making moves physical or special based on the move itself, rather than the type.

And that is why I love the Pokemon series. Kid friendly is fine and all, but adding dark/grim things to the game perfects it.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I see there's an argument about Pokemon in here...uh

I like Gen IV the most, it was my first, but it's mainly because HG and SS were freaking awesome. Platinum is one of my favorites, second favorite, but only because nostalgia

and the distortion world was fun.

I will say, right now, that my second favorite generation would have to be VI, only because I do love the 3D models. It looks nice.

And it's also the first set of games to ever make me feel a handheld heat up, too. Just my two cents, not going to compare anything "dark and edgy" or such between generations. Like JC said, it's all preference about each individual generation. Not always because of nostalgia (I still feel it somewhat with Gen IV, but Gen VI is also really great), but for some it is why.

And Gen I is just freaking awfully broken beyond belief. FR/LG are decent, though. And HG/SS are the best remakes yet, and have the best endgame, too.

• Upvote 1

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

The point of Team Flare being silly in the beginning was to act as a red herring for how utterly twisted their motives actually were. You didn't catch on.

After all my attempts to show the fridge horror in the series, you still think it's becoming kid friendly? And the story is being simplified? Uh... Sorry, but there is no way to simplify a plot that already wasn't there to begin with. =/ Gen III had a better plot than Gens I or II, but there is no way Gen's III plot is any more complex than IV-VI's.

Okay, back to Pokedex entries. Phantump is explicitly stated to be the spirits of children who died while in the forest. And yes, the Pokedex entry does use the word 'died'. Mm-hmm. Does that sound like Pokemon is getting friendlier?

Does Pokemon have the best, deepest plots? No, and they probably never will. But they are making the motives of the villains darker while also making them less and less sympathetic. Even as the colors get brighter and the rivals friendlier, I still say Pokemon is not kidifying itself.

Edited by Edea Lee

Shouldn't you guys be discussing this in the Pokemon topic....?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

So over the weekend I got Kirby: Triple Deluxe, since I needed a break from high-investment games like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's gorgeous and amazingly fun, although I'm not sure how much replay value it'll offer once I've finished it. But it's definitely the game I needed right now, so I'm happy. Perhaps once I'm done with it I'll pick up Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, depending on how long is left until Smash Bros. for 3DS at that point.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Meanwhile, outside the topic of Pokemon...

I've gotten Borderlands 2 again after trading it in. Who here has it for the PS3? I've never played a video game with fellow BZP'ers before, and I kinda want to.

I've got a PS3, but I've never once played online, and I have no intention of playing any of the games I currently own online. If I get Playstation Smash Bros., I'll gladly play you in that, but otherwise, the only games I have interest in playing online are fighters (and I prefer those on 360 because of the controller, and will NEVER play 360 online), Mario Kart, and Kid Icarus.

But if you want to friend me anyways, go on ahead :P

Meanwhile, outside the topic of Pokemon...

I've gotten Borderlands 2 again after trading it in. Who here has it for the PS3? I've never played a video game with fellow BZP'ers before, and I kinda want to.

I'm usually up for Borderlands 2 sessions, PSN is ToaDriken.

I'm just ToaD

I know it's only slightly a videogame, but I've been playing some Phoenix Wright recently. It's quite awesome.

Starting at the beginning or jumping on with Dual Destinies?

Either way I agree, it's an awesome series.

I recently got Dragon's Crown on PS Vita, really enjoying it. Definitely the side-scrolling beat-em-up I've been looking for. Considering picking up the PS3 version, since I got the Vita version for free (yay trade-ins!) and I'm guessing It'd look even better on the big screen.

Also, I'm hoping the Ace Attorney Trilogy that was released a little while ago in Japan on 3DS comes stateside. I haven't played any of the games, but that would definitely seem like a good place to start (and It'd be easier than tracking down all the DS cartriges for the first games).

Edited by Raku Ichijo

I recently got Dragon's Crown on PS Vita, really enjoying it. Definitely the side-scrolling beat-em-up I've been looking for. Considering picking up the PS3 version, since I got the Vita version for free (yay trade-ins!) and I'm guessing It'd look even better on the big screen.

Also, I'm hoping the Ace Attorney Trilogy that was released a little while ago in Japan on 3DS comes stateside. I haven't played any of the games, but that would definitely seem like a good place to start (and It'd be easier than tracking down all the DS cartriges for the first games).

...or the really original GBA cartridges.

Which are all in Japanese (as far as I know).

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

...or the really original GBA cartridges.

Which are all in Japanese (as far as I know).

Yup. The first three games were released for the GBA, then ported to the DS with slight improvements for the Western releases.

Sadly, there's been no word on a Western release for the 3DS collection, even though the Japanese version has an English option (as did the Japanese versions of the DS ports, actually). That said, if you can track down the DS games for a decent price, I'd recommend those - the 3DS version has some minor issues like missing animation frames. Still, may as well wait a bit and see if the ports are coming over (maybe a small Capcom E3 announcement...?)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

The Ace Attorney Trilogy is actually already available stateside on iOS. I got the first game used but realized that getting the trilogy app would be easier and cheaper than getting the sequels used, so that's how I played them.

Unfortunately, the iOS port is less than ideal, with numerous errors. They shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game too much (it's mostly typos), but perhaps you'd be better off waiting until the 3DS version to see if it's more polished.

I've tried getting into iOS ports of games before... And I absolutely cannot stand them. Only game I can stand to play on my iPod is Tetris, and that's in super-short two-minute bursts a couple times a month.

So yeah, that's why I'm hoping the trilogy comes over.

I've tried getting into iOS ports of games before... And I absolutely cannot stand them. Only game I can stand to play on my iPod is Tetris, and that's in super-short two-minute bursts a couple times a month.

So yeah, that's why I'm hoping the trilogy comes over.

While I understand where you're coming from, a visual novel like Phoenix Wright doesn't really have any interface problems on a touchscreen device. Heck, Ace Attorney games can be completely controlled via touch on the DS itself. It's a different case for other sorts of games, but when you get right down to it Ace Attorney is controlled solely through selecting options from a menu.

I really, really wouldn't recommend the HD iOS trilogy, though. There's missing animations, loads of typos, low-quality or missing music, and frankly, the redrawn art doesn't really look that good. There is an older iOS version of at least the first game that's just an upscale of the DS version, though.

The 3DS version is based off of the iOS version, but they fixed most of those issues (there's still some missing animation frames, but it's not nearly as bad.)

Alternatively, the first three games are available on WiiWare for $10 each, but I think the series really works better on a handheld.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I've tried, but I cant even get into Visual Novels on iOS. It's not so much the controls that push me away as much as the platform itself, it's just not something I use for any period of time longer than a few minutes. Although the HD Collection has a free demo, so I will give it a try... Once I manage to free up enough space on my iPod...

So, guys...

10277811_760979837276316_486936692332092

"You beat Adventure mode on Very Hard with a stock of one!" - SSBM

Yeah. Easily the hardest thing I've EVER done in a video game. This challenge was insane. I spent four years working on this.

Now to just go and reach that 1,000,000 match mark.