Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

It's very slow. Just trust me, it's all a build up. Why don't you enjoy the music in the meantime? Since you don't play much Nintendo, this will probably be the best game soundtrack you've ever heard.

this right here is what's bad about being a nintendo fanboy

or a fanboy of anything, for that matter

Just compare Wind Waker to Twilight Princess. I'd say Wind Waker will still look gorgeous years from now, while Twilight Princess already looks dated.

this is wrong on two levels. one, twilight princess was a wii game. the wii was a weak console. it couldn't be coded well in 2006, and even if it could, it wasn't very powerful. there have been plenty of realistic looking games that hold up (in the case of a few games, have yet to be beaten) in the graphic department. examples include the original uncharted, or the original crisis, both of which were released around the same time as twilight princess. uncharted 2, released three years after twilight princess, remains a fantastic looking game. it doesn't look dated at all. did those three years make a huge difference or did twilight princess never look all that good?

however, ignoring your bad example, you're trying to say art style can carry graphics. sure, it can. is that to say cartoon > realism forever? no. the original bioshock attempted realism. didn't do a great job. it had a really funky, imaginitive and breathtaking art style, though, that keeps it as a fantastic example of good art in a realistic game. if you aren't satisfied with that, look at god of war 3. released in 2010, but it was easily the best looking console game until killzone shadowfall.

as for your comment about technology evolving, it's stopped. we hit the ceiling in the last generation. well, at least sony and microsoft did. PC devs did it before them.

just because nintendo can't do realism doesn't mean it can't be done.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

It's very slow. Just trust me, it's all a build up. Why don't you enjoy the music in the meantime? Since you don't play much Nintendo, this will probably be the best game soundtrack you've ever heard.

or a fanboy of anything, for that matter

SotC is a brilliant game and all.

But god, I hate the fanboys. Same with Nintendo fans.

Why are their hardware releases so horribly underpowered?

I think I've said this before, but Wii U is NOT underpowered. It's SLIGHTLY weaker than the PS4/Xbone, by about the same scale that the Gamecube was stronger than the PS2. Look how far THAT got them. The biggest issue is the architecture, which is just too different, and devs don't want to take the time to port games over.

inb4 RAM!

You don't need 8GB of RAM on a game console. Last gen used HALF a gig, and was more than sufficient. A gaming PC will have 8GB, and it's doing plenty of things besides running games. Heck, the PS4/Xbone actually have a LOWER percentage of games running at 1080p than the Wii U does. Eat that, specs.

the wii u is a more powerful version of the PS3 and Xbox 360, but still quite a bit weaker than the PS4 or even the Xbox One.

also displaying at 1080p isn't as much of an achievement as you're making it sound. The problem with most games on the PS4/XBone not running games at 1080 is because how they're multiplat. The Xbox One can't even run 1080p, IIRC, and the system architecture of the two is close enough that in most cases it won't need to be rectified.

Mostly because only a small handful of people actually care.

Saying that realism ages worse than cartoonish graphics in this day is also silly. The thing is, we've kind of hit the peak of what our graphical hardware are gonna be able to do for awhile- the next big leap in realism won't be for years to come, and even more so when we not only would get out of the uncanny valley with those super-graphics and making them be affordable. Right now, the only improvements we're gonna really even see are how graphical engines handle things like clothing and hair.

When a game ages badly now, it's not completely the fault of the hardware. The fault lies in the modelers.

I mean, for example? Look at Dragon Age Origins. The game is five years old now, but it still generally looks decent. Where it falls apart, however, is whenever the faces. They're overly plastic-y and generally fake looking.

But this isn't the fault of the graphics or even artstyle, at least not completely. This issue is also apparent in not only DAO, but it's sequel and the Mass Effect series. It's even continued into the upcoming third game in the series- which is out this year.

hElbrZ6.gif

My problem with the Vita's power isn't so much that it's so powerful, but that it's powerful enough for PS3 games to be ported to it. These ports also aren't usually as good as their PS3 counterparts and also take away from the Vita's library of exclusives, so while the Vita has plenty of games, a good chunk of them are also on PS3, which is one if the reasons I held out on a Vita for so long (along with the price, because I wanted the 3G model, just in case). Of course, I can get where people who want a pocket PS3 are coming from, but I'm just not a fan of it.

Also, I'm not a fan of cross-buy, (I actually think the concept could be a good Idea for some games), mainly because of the issues with the memory card pricing.

Anyways, I'm probably going to be building my Vita library over the next month or so, I have Danganronpa preordered, and I might pick up LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway soon, and I eventually want to give Gravity Rush a try.

~JC~, I am just going to say you are just as biased as us 'diehard Nintendo fanboys', so your word is as good as ours, diehard Playstation fan. =P

First of all, my comparison does work. Why? Because both games started out development on the GameCube. Yes, the Wii version of TP is just a straight port with the game flipped so the main character is right handed, and with motion controls added. No extra graphical flair. Plus, they're from the same era as the PS2 or the original Xbox. You may have heard about the HD release of Wind Waker on Wii U, but I wasn't talking about that. So if you compare both of them, I'd still say that Wind Waker beats out Twilight Princess in the graphics department, because with the same platform to work with, Wind Waker is just aesthetically pleasing and unique. Sure, Twilight Princess doesn't look as bad as, oh I don't know, a PS1 or PS2, it just doesn't hold up to today's standards. As I said before though, there really isn't much else like Wind Waker, which is why I can look at it and The Last of Us or Uncharted, or even Crysis 3, and say all of them look good, despite the last three made on obviously superior hardware.

I don't care how long the ceiling is going to stay, sooner or later, it will rise past it. Maybe we can't get more detail, but oh I don't know, breaking past the Uncanny Valley, something that plagues many, many so called 'realistic' games? See, this is why I like my games artistic. If you're playing games to see realism in a story, then you can only get so much. And besides, if everything was realistic, why play a game in the first place? Reality is all around you. Maybe I'm different, but I play games to submit to the illusion of a world different from my own. Where things don't have to emulate what's real. I'm not sure how many people agree with me, but videogames are art. Sure, maybe I could play an indie game or something for this stuff, but why can't mainstream game developers do so too? I don't think every game should be Wind Waker or Journey, but the demand for realism to me is limiting what potential can be found in a new medium of art. This is what I believe and if you don't agree with me, oh well, at least I said what I believe.

Oh, and Nintendo can't do realism? Hm, I thought people here said the Wii U was possibly more powerful than the Xbox 360, or say, the PS3, with Uncharted and whatnot. Oops.

Edited by Zero: Maverick Hunter

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

^Is jealous because he doesn't have music that compares to Nintendo on his consoles :P

Just compare Wind Waker to Twilight Princess. I'd say Wind Waker will still look gorgeous years from now, while Twilight Princess already looks dated.

this is wrong on two levels. one, twilight princess was a wii game. the wii was a weak console. it couldn't be coded well in 2006, and even if it could, it wasn't very powerful. there have been plenty of realistic looking games that hold up (in the case of a few games, have yet to be beaten) in the graphic department. examples include the original uncharted, or the original crisis, both of which were released around the same time as twilight princess. uncharted 2, released three years after twilight princess, remains a fantastic looking game. it doesn't look dated at all. did those three years make a huge difference or did twilight princess never look all that good?

however, ignoring your bad example, you're trying to say art style can carry graphics. sure, it can. is that to say cartoon > realism forever? no. the original bioshock attempted realism. didn't do a great job. it had a really funky, imaginitive and breathtaking art style, though, that keeps it as a fantastic example of good art in a realistic game. if you aren't satisfied with that, look at god of war 3. released in 2010, but it was easily the best looking console game until killzone shadowfall.

as for your comment about technology evolving, it's stopped. we hit the ceiling in the last generation. well, at least sony and microsoft did. PC devs did it before them.

just because nintendo can't do realism doesn't mean it can't be done.

Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game, the same console The Wind Waker was released on. The Gamecube was the most powerful console it's generation, and Twilight Princess was one of it's best looking games. It hasn't aged very well. I liked Uncharted 1's graphical style, but I wouldn't call it realism. The image was bright and colorful, and compared to something like The Last of Us, it's very clear which game has more realistic graphics. And you said it yourself - the games look better because they were on better hardware. The PS3 was a whole generation after the Gamecube. Wait until devs actually figure out what they are doing with PS4 hardware. Suddenly, your fancy graphics in Uncharted 2 won't be looking too great. Heck, compared to The Last of Us once more, it doesn't look to great. So yeah, realistic games don't age as well. The Wind Waker still looks amazing, and it's something that I feel was actually a bit ruined when they tried to edit it for the HD edition.

I don't not think cartoony graphics are always best - hence the reason I included in my little Nintendo rant that they need to do something with realism. However, Zero has a solid point. Cartoony graphics will never age, while realistic ones will.

To say we've hit a ceiling is absurd. Graphics won't stop getting better until they are indistinguishable from real life, and that won't happen any time in this decade.

And Nintendo can do realism, same as anyone else. The problem with realism is that it will always look outdated by the next generation, at least for the time being. Despite that, I do still want a realistic Zelda HD.

Why are their hardware releases so horribly underpowered?

I think I've said this before, but Wii U is NOT underpowered. It's SLIGHTLY weaker than the PS4/Xbone, by about the same scale that the Gamecube was stronger than the PS2. Look how far THAT got them. The biggest issue is the architecture, which is just too different, and devs don't want to take the time to port games over.

inb4 RAM!

You don't need 8GB of RAM on a game console. Last gen used HALF a gig, and was more than sufficient. A gaming PC will have 8GB, and it's doing plenty of things besides running games. Heck, the PS4/Xbone actually have a LOWER percentage of games running at 1080p than the Wii U does. Eat that, specs.

the wii u is a more powerful version of the PS3 and Xbox 360, but still quite a bit weaker than the PS4 or even the Xbox One.

also displaying at 1080p isn't as much of an achievement as you're making it sound. The problem with most games on the PS4/XBone not running games at 1080 is because how they're multiplat. The Xbox One can't even run 1080p, IIRC, and the system architecture of the two is close enough that in most cases it won't need to be rectified.

Mostly because only a small handful of people actually care.

Saying that realism ages worse than cartoonish graphics in this day is also silly. The thing is, we've kind of hit the peak of what our graphical hardware are gonna be able to do for awhile- the next big leap in realism won't be for years to come, and even more so when we not only would get out of the uncanny valley with those super-graphics and making them be affordable. Right now, the only improvements we're gonna really even see are how graphical engines handle things like clothing and hair.

When a game ages badly now, it's not completely the fault of the hardware. The fault lies in the modelers.

I mean, for example? Look at Dragon Age Origins. The game is five years old now, but it still generally looks decent. Where it falls apart, however, is whenever the faces. They're overly plastic-y and generally fake looking.

But this isn't the fault of the graphics or even artstyle, at least not completely. This issue is also apparent in not only DAO, but it's sequel and the Mass Effect series. It's even continued into the upcoming third game in the series- which is out this year.

I was just pointing out facts.

Yes, the Wii U is slightly weaker, but it's really not to the extent everyone makes it out to be. The main CPU is different, and just looking at the numbers may make it seem weaker, but it runs multiple threads of code at once. Basically, the 3 cores of the Wii U are approximately 7 cores of the Xbone. Yes, that's still weaker, but not as much as everyone thinks. Likewise, the GPU is great on the Wii U. It's downfall is that it has to render a second image on the tablet (kinda wish they had made it more expensive and just given the tablet it's own stuff). That does cut into the console, but if a game were made that offered no Gamepad support (and if devs really cared about making good ports/getting over the console's differences), they could get it looking just about as good.

Again, I don't really think graphics will grow as slowly as people have been saying. Think back to the good old 6th gen games, and how everyone was saying PS2/GCN/Xbox were the top of the line, the best, most realistic graphics we'd ever see. Think back to the 3rd gen, and how people said the same thing about the NES. Can you believe people were blown away with the graphics of Super Mario Bros.?

Graphics may not improve as much this gen as they did last gen, but they will improve, it will be noticably, and in 5-7 years, I want someone to say "You know, the graphics of The Last of Us still blow me away!". They won't, because it tried to look realistic, and as great game as it was, realistic graphics just don't age well.

Oh, and Nintendo can't do realism? Hm, I thought people here said the Wii U was possibly more powerful than the Xbox 360, or say, the PS3, with Uncharted and whatnot. Oops.

thats like saying america has a good military so its not billions of dollars in debt

lets see a wiiu game that looks as good as uncharted. that gundam thing? yaight, cool. four years late to the party, whatever.

Edited by ~JC~

But it's the potential that matters, isn't it? Or does everything Nintendo related have to be inferior to Playstation or Xbox?

Great job ignoring the rest of my post, by the way. I thought you'd have a lot to say about it.

thats like saying america has a good military so its not billions of dollars in debt

lets see a wiiu game that looks as good as uncharted. that gundam thing? yaight, cool. four years late to the party, whatever.

A Wii U game? Look at any of the 3rd party ones - Batman, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc.

Of course, that is assuming that "realistic" and "good" are the same thing. They aren't.

But, if you aren't convinced, let's see any of the Uncharted games for PS3 look even half as good as whatever HD Metroid title Nintendo makes. That's a series we can all bet on looking realistic and being dark, gritty, and "mature".

I'll take the Mortal Kombat Kollection.

let's get back to soundtracks though are you for real saying that nobody outside of nintendo franchies have good soundtracks? go listen to halo or the elder scroll's soundtracks then come back with your blasphemy

I wasn't being too serious. They certainly have some of the best, but there are plenty of other games out there with good soundtracks. Kingdom Hearts comes to mind, and that's a series I wasn't really a fan of.

But, I find I can always go into a first party Nintendo game and expect the soundtrack to be good. That's just a given.

I don't have much experience with Halo, and will be purchasing an original Xbox in the near future to play through the first two. Having played Skyrim... outside the main theme, it's all ambient and forgettable.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

You seem disrespectful to anyone that shows a slight hint of praise for Nintendo.

And also, opinions exist. Nintendo may not have the only good soundtracks, but they have a lot of them. Several iconic themes come from them too, like the World 1-1 theme from Mario, The Main theme for Zelda, etc.

However, another franchise with music that I do like is Sonic. Make fun of the games as much as you want, even Sonic 06 had some pretty sweet tunes. Radical Train, anyone? The only game from the franchise with bad music that comes to mind is Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Oh, and that was developed by BioWare, by the way. =P

i respect opinions i can understand.

like, i didn't grow up with nintendo like most people. i'm immune to the nostalgia so heavily assosciated with it. and for the record, i didn't grow up with playstation either. didn't get into vidya until i was 14.

Edited by ~JC~

Well, my love for Nintendo games, despite my first system being a GameCube, is not just all nostalgia. I like their games because I find them fun. Simple as that, really.

Oh, and that Sonic Boom game I mentioned? Here's something to raise a few eyebrows. The head of the Wii U developer, Big Red Button Entertainment, is a veteran of Naughty Dog, and in fact the first employee they hired. So he's worked on the Crash games and Jak and Daxter as well. The developer of the 3DS version, Sanzaru Games, recently developed Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. So no, Sonic Team is not mindlessly banging their heads against keyboards, these are industry veterans well versed in the platform genre. Oh, and it'll be the last game exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Rejoice, Xbox, Playstation, and PC users!

However, another franchise with music that I do like is Sonic. Make fun of the games as much as you want, even Sonic 06 had some pretty sweet tunes. Radical Train, anyone? The only game from the franchise with bad music that comes to mind is Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Oh, and that was developed by BioWare, by the way. =P

The music was the only good thing to come out of Sonic 06.

Oh, and let's get Sanzaru on Sonic Boom! Those idiots who not only managed to ruin the Sly Cooper series with Thieves in Time, but who also proved in the Sly Cooper Collection that they are incapable of grasping basic concepts! By that, I mean go play the Ms. Ruby battle in the PS2 game, then in the HD Collection. Notice anything? It's a rhythm boss battle, and one of the coolest boss battles I've ever seen. In the PS2 version, the background music was synched to the beat Ms. Ruby attacked you in. In the HD collection, they completely remixed the song, which, while certainly not a terrible idea most of the time, doesn't work if you don't redo her attack pattern to stick with it! I had to actually mute my TV to beat it on the PS3, despite having no trouble at all on PS2 (I could almost literally do it with my eyes closed, relying only on sound), because I would just instinctively try to dodge the next attack with the beat of the music.

Between completely ruining a simple concept for a boss and making an awful 4th game, I've little to no respect for Sanzaru as a developer. I probably won't even pick up a hypothetical Sly 5 unless it goes back to Sucker Punch (even then, I found the 2cnd and 3rd games to be a bit lesser than the 1st.)

Many people think the same way. So much ambtion put into such a lackluster product... And I'd say my favorite soundtrack from the series are the Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack and Sonic Colors soundtrack, my favorite songs from both being Wacky Wprkbench Present and Planet Wisp.

Ouch. I didn't know that about Sanzaru. Odd, Sucker Punch liked the game, right? At least they're only working on the 3DS version of Sonic Boom...

Ouch. I didn't know that about Sanzaru. Odd, Sucker Punch liked the game, right? At least they're only working on the 3DS version of Sonic Boom...

Dunno how Sucker Punch liked it. The game was tedious and boring, each area had pretty much the exact same formula, the plot was stupid (spoilers PENELOPE BETRAYS THE REST OF THE GANG? SERIOUSLY? I couldn't believe how out of character that was!), it didn't have an ending...

I dunno.

I remember when the game was first announced to have time travel. I came up with an AWESOME idea for an ending (not that I expected it to be used, but it was still awesome). Basically, since it's about Time Travel, near the end of the game, for one reason or another, Sly goes back in time, to the night where his father was murdered. He then has a choice - he can step in, help his father fight, and thus, not become orphaned (not that a Back to the Future-esque time travel really has much logic to it compared to other theories, but ignore that), but at the cost of never being able to meet Bently and Murray, and just inheriting the Thievius Raccoonus instead of truly earning it. Of course, he would make the decision to let his father die, but it would make a nice and emotional ending to the game!

At least it would have been better than Sly just kinda getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not too interested in Sonic Boom, mainly because I've never really been a fan of Sonic, although that's probably because I got into the series with Riders (which was an awesome racing game, way better than All-Stars), and then tried Sonic and the Secret Rings, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood, and by then I had no drive to play any Sonic games... It kinda sucks that a few bad games can completely ruin an opinion of a franchise. I feel like I should give some of the older Sonic games a chance, especially considering how I loved playing Ultimate Flash Sonic during my computer classes way back in elementary school (anyone else remember that game?)

Edited by Raku Ichijo

I believe I played that verson aalot when i was, like, 4/5/6 years old :3

and mario star catcher. :3

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Ultimate Flash Sonic? I used to play it in Second Grade! I wonder if it's still floating around...

The 2D games are awesome, as I have Sonic CD and Sonic 1 for Android. But Sonic Colors is still a very good game. Sonic Boom is also inspired by Sonic Adventure, so...

• Upvote 2

Does anyone here have that one genre that they'll just always like?

For me it's platformers, puzzle-platformers in particular. I just love how every platformer has a lot of personality to it. Sometimes it's through the aesthetics (Say what you want about Phil Fish, but there's no denying that Fez is a beautiful game), or sometimes it's through the mechanics (VVVVVV comes to mind here, as well as a dozen other examples), and sometimes it's through the narrative or atmosphere (Thomas Was Alone, Verge).

I have yet to play a platformer that didn't manage to make itself stand out in some way. Contrast that with, say, point-and-click adventures where everyone seems more interested in copying Lucasarts or Sierra instead of making their own style, and you can see what I mean. Seriously, I can't even count the number of times I've seen "In the style of Monkey Island!" in the description of a completely unrelated adventure game.

What's your 'pet' genre?

Edited by Primis

I can't really think of a genre that I just always like. I've played my fair share of bad JRPGS, I only really like every other fighing game, and shooters have lots of variance in quality...

I guess... Puzzle games? I've never met a puzzle game I didn't like, although I rarely play any outside the occasional Tetris on my smartphone.

Anyways, I got my preorders of DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. I was excited for LR:FF13, but then I read IGN's review of it this morning... And now I'm not too excited to jump in anymore (seriously, what's up with JRPG devs and not being able to earn experience in battles?). On the other hand, I'm pretty excited to start DanganRonpa, it's always a good time for a murder mystery.

I don't think there are any genres I always love. There are some that I RARELY like, such as RPGs, sports/racing, shooters, sandbox, and fighters (A LOT of exceptions here, but I still generally dislike fighters), but there are exceptions to all of those (excluding sports. Don't think I've ever played a fun sports game).

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

FPS and TPS always get a pass from me. quality, in regards to those games, is an arbitrary notion that implies they don't play nearly identically. even when they aren't great i still can play them. i didn't like bioshock infinite but i could still play it and have a good time (about 40% of the time)

my favourite games are traditionally RPGs but that doesn't make RPGs my favourite genre- there's so much room to screw up in an RPG and it bothers me that the biggest dev in that field has gotten so amateur.

when it comes to racing games there are two subgenres, those are realistic driving sims and goofy, arcadey NFS types. i enjoy the goofy, arcadey NFS types 90% of the time. when i'm in the mood for them, anyhow.

platformers rank really low for me. LBP is tons of fun but mario gets old quick, the platforming in god of war is okay but the platforming in dark souls is so annoying i've dropped that game for weeks on end (just got to anor londo, i'm gonna beat this game yet).

by and large, i hate fighters. street fighter gets a pass, though. brawl is good but it's something i have to be in the mood for. can't stand mortal kombat, MvC is too goofy, and killer instinct is just a street fighter clone.

FPS and RTS are my favorite genres. 3rd person action and shooters still work for me.

FPS are really nice because they generally require a low amount of skill to learn to play, while have a greater difficulty in getting '1337'.

For example, anybody can play Halo, but not everybody can play Halo well.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

So... Little Mac is coming to the next Smash Bros.? Even though I wasn't exactly expecting it... I cant say I'm surprised. At all. He just makes sense. He's from a boxing game, after all.

Anyways, I finished DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc really late last night... Or early this morning, whichever you prefer. Anyways, It's a fantastic murder mystery/death game story, and I really had trouble pulling myself away from it (which is how I managed to finish the entire game in a day and a half). My only complaints are that it's insanely linear (most Visual Novels I've played have some sort of diverging storyline somewhere other than a bad ending), and that what little gameplay it has isn't really all that great.

Also, It's official: GBA games will be available on the WiiU, starting this spring with Metroid Fusion and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Still now word on GBA games on 3DS, though...

Edited by Raku Ichijo

So... Little Mac is coming to the next Smash Bros.? Even though I wasn't exactly expecting it... I cant say I'm surprised. At all. He just makes sense. He's from a boxing game, after all.

Also, It's official: GBA games will be available on the WiiU, starting this spring with Metroid Fusion and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Still now word on GBA games on 3DS, though...

I am REALLY interested in his power bar mechanic.

Oh, more games Nintendo expects me to rebuy. Still no word on SNES/GBA on 3DS, like everyone wanted (heck, they could even do DS on 3DS easily), or cross-platform, which really shouldn't be such an issue, because it's practically a given!

Just wondering... Could the reason that the 3DS has no SNES games be that the 3DS's resolution is too dang low? Because NES games fill up most of the screen, and I'm something like 99% positive that SNES games are higher resolution than plain old NES.

I doubt that, mostly because Nintendo just doesn't care 'bout VC. Look at the amount of Virtual Console games the Wii had in it's first 6 months, compared to the amount the Wii U got it it's first year. The Wii U doesn't even have N64 yet! That is honestly the biggest reason.

NES and 3DS are 240i (p in the case of 3DS), whereas SNES was 240i - 480i, depending on the game. Since some games are low enough, that's not the issue. They're just lazy.

FPS are really nice because they generally require a low amount of skill to learn to play, while have a greater difficulty in getting '1337'.

For example, anybody can play Halo, but not everybody can play Halo well.

skill ceiling in FPS is pretty low. you should play more games (also, get over halo. it isn't that special)

fightng games (smash not included sorry guys) > RTS > PVP MMOs > shooters > platformers

in terms of skill ceiling. smash bros does have a high skill ceiling but compared to other fighters it just falls short, namely because there are fewer buttons.

So I know this might not be a sentiment some of you will agree with, but I am drawn to platformers, particularly the action variety. Why? Well, my first video game was The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Game. Yeah, kinda embarrassing, but we all have to start somewhere, right? Plus, the game itself is surprisingly good for a licensed title, though I won't say it's a masterpiece. Anyways, ever since, Platformers have been my go-to games, 2D or 3D. However, I am becoming more interested in Action-Adventure games lately, after playing some Zelda. The only FPS game I've played so far is Team Fortress 2, coincidentally the only M rated game I've played. Call me a wimp if you want, I just don't find blood and gore necessary to enjoy a game, though several M rated games are pretty good, I'm sure.

Anyways, here's a question for 3DS owners. If I had to choose between A Link Between Worlds or Bravely Default, which would be the better option?

I just don't find blood and gore necessary to enjoy a game

giphy.gif

M games are fun because they're fun, blood is just added in for realism. it isn't why you play M games.

the only time i think gore ever made a difference was in killzone 3. headshots from sniper rifles make a sound that sounds like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer, and the only reason that's enjoyable is because it's so hilariously over the top.

Edited by ~JC~