BZPRPG - Onu-Wahi

Nuju Metru

IC:

Deep within the earth, in the highest security prison that Onu-Koro had, it was difficult to tell the time. Night and day blurred without distinction, and for one such as Alamancia, it was debatable whether the prisoner even cared about the time of day. Their sentence was not due to end within the near future, nor did they have any visitors to expect. A meal was provided at the proper intervals, but that was more or less the extent of their human interaction. Their twilight purgatory was unending, their solitude undisturbed, and their isolation so complete that some went mad. Perhaps Alamancia herself believed that she had gone mad, when she heard the quiet, understated sound of the door sliding across the ground.

The handful of footsteps into the room were quiet, and they stopped a few paces into the room. The entrance was out of schedule; Even in the total isolation, a schedule could be determined, and it was nor nearly time for her jailer to provide a meal. She was not slated for a court appearance, nor any other sort of event.

Her curiosity was answered after several long moments of silence.

"I cannot say I am too surprised to find you here, Daylaria."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: (Almanacia)

Daylaria. The sound of it was bitter. No, not even bitter- empty. A false title. Like Daylaria was someone else entirely, a person separate from who she was now. And in truth, the strong, heroic soldier she had been was locked down as far deep as any other soul she could imprison. All that was left was a would-be magnificent creature in the cage of a beast. Though her eyes were shut, she instantly recognized the sound of his voice. Through gritted teeth, she let out a weak noise, the first sound she'd made in weeks: "Leave," she croaked, more of a beg than a demand.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

IC: Ashiem

Ashiem nodded quickly.

"Thanks for your help," she said, smiling. "I know she'll love it."

IC: Ferron (Ferron's Forge)

"Goodbye for now then" Ferron said with a nod to Ashiem as he grabbed his satchel and went for the door himself too.

"See you soon, Tuli" he called to the Matoran before he hobbled out of the Forge.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC (Xaron):

Tick. Tock.

I was sitting in a chair.

Tick. Tock.

I was doing nothing in the chair.

Tick. Tock.

I looked at the wall. The wall that was keeping me trapped here.

Tick. Tock.

The wall, covered in chips and scratches and dirt, remnants of previous people who had been through these halls.

Tick.

The walls preserved the memories of many, to show their own little stories, to unhearing ears, to unknowing people

Tock.

Xaron...are you getting philosophical about a wall?

...Maybe.

Tick. Tock.

It’s stupid. Stop that.

Hey now, I’m the one in charge of my own thoughts, thank you very much.

It’s still stupid.

Yeah well you’re stupid.

This is even dumber.

Not as dumb as the slug.

True.

Tick. Tock.

I sat in silence, waiting for a clerk. I sat in boredom, for only a few seconds that felt like months of nothing. I sat and got philosophical about a freaking wall, for Mata-Nui’s sake.

OOC: And with that short post out of the way, I'm back.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

IC:

"I'm afraid I can't do that." The Onu-Matoran replied, setting down a wooden stool and taking a seat on it. He regarded the imprisoned Valkyr silently, his thoughts impossible to gauge from his expression. Not that she was looking; The last time the two had come face to face had been in a Ko-Wahi cave, where the Valkyr had attempted to dispatch him prematurely from the mortal plane. Her attempts had been foiled, though not without effort. Now the situation was very much reversed. The once-proud warrior was sealed away, and in her place... Was Alamancia. Broken, hateful, and vindictive. All emotions directed inwardly as much as outwardly, if his understanding was correct.

The Onu-Matoran had requested her service record from Ga-Koro, and it had been handed over easily. It depicted a person far different from what he had seen, and what he saw. Somewhere along the way, something changed. Something was lost.

“I don’t believe we were ever properly introduced.” Tarnok said finally, expression never changing. “I’m Ussalmatoran Tarnok, formerly of Seventh Squadron, under the command of Sulov Koskium.”

“You are Daylaria, formerly of the Ga-Koro Marines. That isn’t what you’re calling yourself now. Why?”

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

The Valkyr's eyelids shot open, her emerald irises shooting daggers at Tarnok with the utmost hate.

"My name is Almanacia. If you're here to gloat, do not bother. Nothing you can say has not already been said by others, in more hateful tones than yours." Visions of a horde of Ga-Koroans shouting for her blood flashed through her head.

"Gloating is pointless. I failed." A pause. "More importantly, if you claim to be Almanacia, why would I gloat? I fought Daylaria. So why does it matter to you?"

Fury, then despair, phased through her features. "Daylaria is- was -a figment of my soul. My innocence. My heroism. Daylaria is what kept me from being a complete monster for a short time after my ascension into this world. Daylaria is now but a still, small voice deep inside me."

"My name is Almanacia."

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

IC:

After the Valkyr’s proclamation, the room went silent. Emerald eyes met green, the fury of the latter crashing against the implacable stillness of the former until fury turned to despair. Still the silence continued, almost oppressive in its absolution. Nothing moved, nothing stirred. Her captor was barely visible in the gloom, save for the piercing green of the Onu-Matoran’s eyes. What met those same eyes troubled him; A being nearly angelic in appearance, so similar in form to a once-great hero, in chains, far below the earth’s surface. Cast aside, and locked away; for good reason, perhaps, but nevertheless, a reason he struggled to understand. The reports he had read all said the same; Daylaria had been a good commander, one who truly cared for those under her leadership. According to those same reports, that had still been true after her return, despite her changes. But was that an act, or was it the truth? Had it been Daylaria’s influence, and if it was, was the former soul as weak as she now claimed?

Her behavior was that of a vengeful angel, a being consumed by hatred and fury. He had first encountered that identity, when last they had clashed in the frozen wastes. The Valkyr clung to the identity she had claimed, wrath rising at any mention of the person she had been. Her jailers had told him a different story; claims that she spent her time with her wings wrapped around her, accompanied by bitter laughter and barely audible tears. There was no more evidence for one or the other, and both possibilities held the potential for truth. The truth could even be somewhere between them, fashioned from portions of both cases.

Truthfully, Tarnok had no way of knowing. He did not fear the Valkyr, not in any physical sense; she was chained, muscles steadily atrophying from lack of use. For all her attempted fire, she wasn’t even intimidating. She was just pitiable, a once powerful force weakened, rendered impotent. He couldn’t see into her mind, to find what was true and what was not. It was a struggle to understand, to see how she could have fallen so far from what she had been. The Onu-Matoran couldn’t find it in him to believe that she truly had fallen so far, that what had been good was so far gone.

But was that what he believed, or what he wanted to believe? Was that what he truly saw, or was he simply unwilling to accept that the Toa once so strongly allied with good had decayed, fallen away, and become lost. Perhaps the thought struck too close to home. If her warrant had gone through, if Tarnok had been arrested all those months ago, what would she have seen? If the positions were reversed, what would she see? Deep down, the Onu-Matoran couldn’t truthfully say that he wasn’t lost. Not in the same way, but just as lost; he had been since the Makuta fell, and he had watched everything that mattered to him slowly stripped away, without a word of acknowledgement for his efforts. Was that where she had started? Was that all it had taken to push her down this path, a single moment of weakness, a single moment of rage, or of pride?

The stillness broke as he shook his head, pushing the thought away. In a single motion he stood, taking several steps towards her, stopping just out of reach, had her arms been free.

“If that is true, why does the thought of who you were cause despair? If you have become a complete monster, why are you here? Maybe Daylaria’s last act of will was to turn you in, and if so, I commend her. Whatever she’s become now, she didn’t deserve the fate that was handed to her.” His voice was quiet, but it rang through clearly, easily crossing the distance between them. Up close, it was easier to try and read his expression; It had changed little, but there was something there that she hadn’t seen before; an attempt at understanding, and perhaps, a note of pity.

“If you’re a complete monster, why do you call yourself such? Why have you never tried to escape, even as you have grown weak? The jailers say you cry at times, though you’ve never allowed anyone to witness it. Maybe they’re crocodile tears, meant to evoke pity. Maybe they’re real. I have no way to know.”

“I have no way to know what’s true. I want to believe that you’re wrong, or that you’re lying. I want to believe that the person you used to be didn’t fall so far.”

He paused a moment, staring at her impassively. But there was a searching edge to it, as if he was trying to find some hint of an answer, some shred of proof one way or another.

“... Maybe I’m wrong. Perhaps you did fall that far, because no matter how much you hate to hear it, you are still Daylaria, and she’s you. Neither of you are the same, but you’re both still there. I think she’s why you cry, and why you so hate yourself.”

“Maybe that’s as far as it goes, and you did become a monster. Maybe that’s what happens to every great person, when they lose their way. Mata Nui help us all if that’s the way of the world.”

fK5oqYf.jpg

Inside her head, everything froze. She fell from the chains, suddenly free. Tarnok disappeared, replaced by what she originally thought to be a mirror image. Then she realized that the ethereal being was not herself, but Daylaria- the real Daylaria. She nearly reached for her sword before remembering it wasn't there. The Valkyr stood, the same and yet so different from the Toa. A whirlpool of emotions swirled through her mind, leaving her in silence.

"Hello Almanacia," said the being, in reality Daylaria's soul personified. Her voice was calm, soothing- an alternative to Almanacia's tortured tones.

"Why are you here?" she gasped, exasperated.

"You have led us on a path of destruction. Allow me to take control, for now."

The Valkyr gritted her teeth. She knew exactly what this meant- the change in dominion would be very serious internally. Almanacia would be put aside, Daylaria taking her place until it was decided that the Valkyr persona was needed. "...no," she said firmly, her soul dominating the mental plane, "I will not allow it. Not now." Her power of will was stronger than the Toa's- Daylaria was forced back by her sheer power. The personification of her soul fell to its knees, as if powerless. For a second, it almost seemed as though Daylaria's essence was defeated; this was not so. Another voice, much older than the others, took her side. Suddenly, a Turaga flashed into existence.

"This will be so." said the power of two voices, forcing Almanacia into the shadows.

----------------------------------------------------------

The rattling of chains awoke her from her trance. Daylaria's head throbbed, her soul becoming accustomed to the new body. She knew instantly that no explanation of the event that had just occurred would be believed, and so chose not to try to explain. Something absolutely unexpected happened: her eyes grew wide, and she smiled. Not jovial nor exuberant, just a show of the tiny shred of hope that this soul had as an advantage over the others.

"Listen," the voice of a survivor came out of her lips, apologetic but hopeful, and struggling but sweet, "I do not by any means expect you to believe this, but I am so, so sorry. I used to think I needed to be more powerful. I thought I wasn't strong enough- look where that got me. Whatever you do, don't give up on who you are! Never." Tears came, but not sobs.

Daylaria lived again.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

So pay me more AuRon.

OOC: Jam between myself and KNI. Aka the man who always seems to give Tarnok his headaches.

IC:

There was a single beat, a moment of silence, as the Onu-Matoran processed what had just occurred. For the first time since entering the room, there was a noticeable change of expression, as his eyes narrowed a fraction of an inch, becoming decidedly more wary. “Either you’re attempting to mess with my head, or something unexpected just happened.”

Daylaria made no attempt to justify herself. “I’m not trying to confuse you. I simply wish to atone for my sins.”

“With all due respect, I’m going to need more than that to even begin to put any stock in what you’re saying.” Tarnok clasped his hands behind his back, looking the captive Valkyr up and down. “Because to say that you just underwent a sudden shift is beyond an understatement, Almanacia. Assuming that’s who I’m addressing.”

The Valkyr nodded quickly, not attempting to dispute. “I understand your lack of trust.” Her wings suddenly spread, and she twisted her neck. It was almost as if the Valkyr was doing a wake-up stretch. “What must I do to gain your trust?” she asked eagerly.

“Firstly, identify yourself. Am I addressing Almanacia?”

“Would you believe me if I said otherwise?”

“Truthfully?” The rhetorical query was spoken a touch ironically. “Possibly, possibly not. Either way, I’m conversing with a being not seen on Mata Nui before the past year that entered this realm through means unknown. That raises the bar rather high for things I won’t at least listen to.”

The Valkyr smiled again, this time less grimly. “Wonderful. Me and Almanacia are tied together, our souls part of one hivemind. Consider us a...consider us a tree. A tree has many branches. We have three. Now, here’s where you need to trust me- Almanacia has been in control since my ascension; she committed the crimes you’ve seen. I have now taken control- an event you triggered!”

She gave him a nod of approval.

“Now, if I’m lying, then whatever. Not much else to be said on the topic. But if I’m not, then good on you. Which do you believe?”

The Onu-Matoran, to his credit, listened attentively as she explained, eyebrows arching upwards a few degrees every now and again. For the most part, however, his expression remained stoically impassive, revealing little of what he was thinking.

“I think you’ll understand why I can’t take you at your word,” He said slowly, as if carefully considering his words. “But let’s, for a moment, pretend that I believe you completely. How long do you think you will be in control?”

“I understand your mistrust- I doubt anything I say could convince you. As for your second question… I am in control for the foreseeable future. Only a significant physical or mental event could knock it back in her favor.”

“Can you be any more specific? What kind of physical event, in particular? A concussion, a scrape, a near death experience?”

“Well… I’m not absolutely sure, actually. Something quite damaging to my mind or body. A brush with death isn’t far off.”

“I didn’t expect you to be able to be specific, so that is significantly more helpful than expected.” A long pause, as Tarnok thought, the gears almost audibly turning in his head. The amount of information to be processed was immense, but he seemed to be doing quite well. “... If it helps, I would like to believe you. But confirmation of identity is very, very far outside of my area of expertise.”

“I have no delusions about anyone- least of all yourself -but I do hope to extend my deepest apologies for Almanacia’s actions.”

At that, the Matoran’s expression tightened slightly, and he fell silent once more. Tarnok’s own experiences with Almanacia had, indirectly, caused him a great deal with grief; A teammate’s time in a coma, for one, might very well have been prevented. However… If what the Valkyr claimed was true, holding her accountable was hardly productive, or fair. If not, then justice would still take its course.

“I can’t speak for anyone else, nor should I. For my part… If what you say is true, you didn’t do it. That doesn’t absolve you of blame, for your actions made it possible, but that does not make you guilty of the crime.”

“I accept my fate. If I am to rot here for the rest of my allotted time in this body, so be it.”

He quieted once more, turning in place towards the door, and taking a few paces in that direction. It might have seemed to the captive being that she’d said something she shouldn’t have, or somehow angered the Matoran; In truth, she struck a chord that was difficult to describe. After a few steps he paused, and turned back to her.

“... If what you’ve said is true, then this isn’t the sentence you’ve earned. I said that you deserved a better fate than you got, and I believe that. One of my superiors is far better with psychology than I; If she determines that you are, in fact, being truthful…” Though the tone didn’t change, his voice trailed off for a moment. “... Then I’ll do what I can to see your sentence lightened, if it can be done safely. Of that you have my word.”

The Valkyr simply smiled once more, almost girlishly. “If the Great Spirit allows, we shall meet on stranger tides. Until then… Don’t give up on heroes, Tarnok. For to do so would be to give up on yourself.”

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC Khervos

(Onu-Koro, Khervos' Detective Office):

Khervos was busy going through some less important documents when he heard someone behind him. He turned to see a Lesterin standing in the doorway. His copper armor was partly covered by a grey cloak that somehow made his tall form more imposing. The eyes behind his Huna mask looked intently at Khervos. Immediately, Khervos knew this was a customer.

"Welcome", Khervos said. "Do come in. How may I help you?"

IC:

The Valkyr's parting statement gave the Onu-Matoran a moment of pause, but he recovered quickly, turning to the door and moving towards it. Don't give up on heroes... For to do so would be to give up on yourself. Daylaria, if indeed that was who she was, didn't have any way of reading his mind, as far he was aware. Nor had he spoken on the subject. But her remark stuck in his head anyway, refusing to quiet. The implications were clear, but they didn't sit with what he knew. Belief was to be placed in those who had earned it; heroes were Sulov, and the people like him. People who had taken action when it was needed, and left behind a lasting, positive impact. 

She'd been removed from events. The conclusion reached, Tarnok tapped the door, waiting a moment for the jailers to open it to let him out. He'd collect the weapons he had left in their care, and go to find-

Noxra.

He pivoted in place, instinctively snapping to attention with a salute. The Commander was already present, watching the proceedings inscrutably. Tarnok had never spoken with her personally, nor had he had any cause to; she commanded a division far removed from his own, after all. Nevertheless, he had heard her reputation. Effective in her role, and, according to those that did interact with her, unnerving, even with the knowledge that she was an ally. He had no knowledge of her outside of what her position entailed, and the naturally dubious information the rumors imparted. What little he knew flashed through his mind as he saluted, leading to exactly no conclusions.

Well, he'd been saved some time, at least.

"Commander. I had just been about to seek you."

fK5oqYf.jpg

-IC:-

"At ease, Ussalmatoran," from anyone else, the words could have been tinged with a humorous inflection, or accompanied by a smirk. Noxra refrained even from blinking during the statement's delivery, indigo eyes tranquil within the surrounding gloom of the darkened hallway. "Your management of this situation to its current state has been satisfactory. Admirable, perhaps." She leaned against the iron doorframe, her stature preventing her from proper posture in the enclosed space. Her hands rested lightly over a newly incandescent cigarette, fostering the flame with uncharacteristic benevolence. The smoke rose lazily, contorting in a torsional trail of hazy gray; the air tasted of ash and pollution.

"You required my attendance, Tarnok?" The words, like all of the suavely militaristic allocution that flowed from Noxra's predatorily sombre mouth, were imbrued by the darkly debonnaire accent that pervaded and saturated her speech. It was as lissome as the underlying elegance of her movements, and as monolithic in its power as her presence. Her words became verses of a slow lament, her pauses nocturnes in the ambient orchestra of Onu's clandestine subsurface. To non-Onu observers, there would be little more than darkness, punctuated with the candent blossom of Noxra's cigarette, and filled with the quiet speech of the two wraithlike soldiers.

pNNgXax.jpg

IC:

"I did, Commander." It was an unusual occurrence, for perhaps the two most professionally stoic beings within the village to encounter one another. Neither knew for sure what was behind the other's mask, in a metaphorical sense, and perhaps neither really wanted to know. It was within the Toa's station to wonder, and even to know, but it was far from within Tarnok's; he was, as she had noted, a Ussalmatoran. His rank was the baseline, the absolute minimum enlisted title. His authority was nearly non-existent, and curiosity was a privilege for those who could afford it.

In the dim tunnel, barely illuminated by the glowing end of the officer's slowly burning cigarette, the gulf in power was clear. Noxra towered above her subordinate, her posture at relative ease compared even to the now-relaxed stance of the Ussalmatoran. Despite the clear dichotomy, however, the Matoran did not seem in the slightest unnerved. Even in the presence of the commander of the Ussalry's less scrupulous division, he was calm and collected. Tranquil indigo eyes met cool green, two wills of steel taking an almost appraising measure of the each other. Tarnok gestured towards the door he had just passed through, and beyond it, the captive Valkyr. 

"I was interviewing the captive. Largely for personal reasons, I must admit. I do not know how much of the proceedings you observed, ma'am, but the captive claims a shift in personality was triggered." A pause, very brief, as the Onu-Matoran reflected on how ludicrous what he was saying sounded, and how gullible it was likely making him appear before the Ussalry's best interrogator. Then again, he had little to lose, and a word to keep. Even the lowest pawn kept his word. "According to her, there are multiple personalities within her head. Almanacia is the Valkyr, the one who has been in control. Daylaria is the former owner of the body. Almanacia was in control when the conversation began, but according to the captive, I have triggered a shift in control. She claims that the shift is for the immediate future, barring certain events."

"Determining the truthfulness of these statements is beyond both my duties and my influence, Commander. It is not my right to render judgement. For that reason, I intended to seek you. As you are the village's foremost interrogator, you are best suited to determine the validity of her claims." A pause, much longer this time. Though his expression never shifted, the glow of his eyes seemed to take on a shade of determination, a determination well beyond the confining restrictions his rank, in this situation, imposed.

"If you determine that they are true, Commander, I will use what little influence I have to push for a lightened sentence. Her crimes belong to Almanacia, not herself, in that case."

fK5oqYf.jpg

-IC:-

Noxra did not nod or otherwise communicate while Tarnok elucidated his position concerning the prisoner, her indigo oculi framed vaguely (and insidiously shadowed) by the edges of her stylised mask. Silence reigned supreme after Tarnok finished, uninterrupted, absolute; it was an absence made almost tangible, palpable in the uncomfortable closeness of the air.

"I understand," the words were captivatingly elegant in their delivery, like the entirety of Immiti's speech, and seemed to approach the mind sinuously, snaking into the listener's consciousness and seeping into dark, hidden recesses. "I comprehend the situation," she stood as straight as she could, shouldering her briefcase, cigarette now held at her side, gripped lightly betwixt calloused fingers. "Rest assured, comrade, I shall anatomise her propositions with care. Truth, if it is present, shall be found." The words' syllabic stress made them seem alien and iniquitous, despite their apparent utilitarian medocrity, an accent not of mortals, but belonging to things deeper in the earth, older than Matoran or Rahi. Cyclopian whispers from eldritch caverns, carried across saturnine seas under gibbous moon, susurruses of dark winter nights.

Her eyes travelled away slowly from Tarnok's, not hesitantly, possessing only the deliberation of the certain, and she entered the room. The door closed softly behind her, the sound unintrusive, almost welcome ambiance in the sterility of the cell. Noxra stood at full height now, the cell's ceiling elevated, towering over the chained Valkyr. For a moment, she stared in silence, eyes and mouth unmoving, emotions absent. She seated herself with elegant silence, eyes unblinking, and remained wordless, cigarette gently raised to her lips.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

pNNgXax.jpg

IC

"Oh. My. Gosh!"

Lira skipped into Onu-Koro, satchel bouncing form her shoulder. "Look at all the lightstones! Omigosh, it's like looking at the night sky! Constellations of lightstones! Wow!"

She spun in a slow circle, eyes fixed on the roof of the cavern, mouth agape. One hand scrabbled at her bag for a piece of paper and a pen.

"I've got to write this down..."

IC: Uyism

"You show much cheer," said a voice from next to Lira. "Not common."

Uyism had been wondering the streets of the village for a while. Although the Iroiit was of the belief that she had recovered perfectly, the brass did not think so, and as such she had been assigned to relax for the next few months. And she had stumbled upon this Matoran.

"Reasoning?"

IC

"You know. When something is beautiful, it just makes you want to dance and sing. It makes your heart beat faster. It makes you glad to be alive!"

Her scribbling paused for a moment, Lira plopped to the ground and read what she'd written.

Stones and stars

Constellations

A spider web of beauty underground

She looked up quizzically. "What do you think?"