Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

We discuss the RPG, politics, and the world there.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Just curious, Simon:
Did you not see my post of Gaven talking to Major Williams, or did you just not feel it required a response?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Just curious, Simon:

Did you not see my post of Gaven talking to Major Williams, or did you just not feel it required a response?

Dang it, those situations are annoying. You could try running up to him and yanking the cards out of his hands. :P

Anyway, I guess Nicole and Vincent are both open for interaction with anyone who happens to be in the enlisted area of the Brasillia, especially since we're going out to find people now..

Or I could wait patiently, possibly nudging Simon if I must. After that, our group shall "charge" appears the Brasilia.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

For future reference; It's a rare day that I don't see a post. If I haven't posted anything, while you are free to check with me (And if it has been more than a few days, encouraged to do so), it's probably because I haven't the time or the ability to post properly.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Okay, thanks. Looking back, I see the response about "if it helps." At the time, I simply thought he was talking to Estelle, about if it helps her take the statement better.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Oh my. I've slipped up on posting here, I'll be trying to get something up.

College ended for me, but I've got a somewhat trying work schedule going, the heat is not helping matters. Makes it difficult to focus.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Hey, Rand. You can stop trying to teach us science. You've been blatantly wrong on at least two basic things, and so far you haven't mentioned anything I didn't know by the time I was eleven. I think everyone here is about on that same level. We all have general knowledge of physics and chemistry, some of us much more than you given that at least one of us is an engineering student. So, you don't really need to explain yourself when it comes to basic science.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Hey, Rand. You can stop trying to teach us science. You've been blatantly wrong on at least two basic things, and so far you haven't mentioned anything I didn't know by the time I was eleven. I think everyone here is about on that same level. We all have general knowledge of physics and chemistry, some of us much more than you given that at least one of us is an engineering student. So, you don't really need to explain yourself when it comes to basic science.

Ah yes, how dare I try and explain myself whenever I have to refer to some actual science just in case anyone on the board doesn't fully understand.

Children, play nice. Atton's fifth grade science lessons are not entirely unappreciated; it gives me a stepping stone to go into college-level physics after all.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Children, play nice. Atton's fifth grade science lessons are not entirely unappreciated; it gives me a stepping stone to go into college-level physics after all.

Fifth grade science? I don't remember learning about light years in grade five. And for the record I have taken a few university astronomy courses as well.

Of course, at this point the most sophisticated thing I've had to bring up is the way light works. I remember touching on light around Grade Four or Five, but I don't remember learning about how light travels at a constant speed, the different wavelengths of light, or the way "light years" work as a unit of measurement". Of course if you'd like some more complicated material I could tell you about dark matter and dark energy and Kepler's Laws and try to explain the confusing physics of how the universe is expanding without expanding into anything despite also being infinite and how the center of the universe is all relative to where you're observing from (even I don't fully understand this part).

Funny. I knew what a light year was in third grade. What sort of schooling did you get?

On the center-of-the-universe bit; The universe has no center because it has no shape. But because of the age of the universe and the speed of light, a given observer is always at the center of the observable universe.

There you go.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I knew what a light year was in third grade also. Be respectful of all members. -B6

Also, Princess Anna: Did Ashely not notice Gaven greeting her?

Edited by Black Six

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Okay, did they ever teach you about dark matter? The stuff that we can't see but which may well outnumber anything that is visible. In fact the visible part of our galaxy, namely the actual spiral that you usually see in illustrations (though technically this is only one type of galaxy, also common is the "elliptical galaxy" but that's another matter) is actually a very small part of it. The spiral of the milky way is literally surrounded by a massive sphere of dark matter. Oh, and there's also the "globular clusters''; large groups of ancient stars located just outside the galaxy.

Then there's dark energy which is basically speeding up the expansion of the universe. Dark energy and dark matter are kinda rivals towards each other in a way, since dark energy is attempting to expand the universe and thus pull everything apart, while dark matter exerts a gravitational force that keeps certain objects (i.e. galaxies) from being pulled apart by the universe's expansion.

Okay, much as I love showing off my astronomical knowledge that's probably enough lecturing for now. Understanding dark matter is very helpful in learning how the universe works but there isn't a whole lot you can do with it in science fiction, especially if you're a had science fiction writer like me.

>Okay, did they ever teach you about dark matter?

Yes. We covered that last month in my high school Astronomy class, at the same time as Dark Energy. But I've known about them since I was in sixth grade, because I read science news and sci fi on my own. And if you can't do anything with Dark Matter or Dark Energy in hard sci fi, then you need to work on your imagination.

Av: Dark Matter and Dark Energy are theoretical but are currently the best theory that explains the facts, and have generally been accepted by the scientific community at large as a concept even if there's disagreements about the particulars.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

And if you can't do anything with Dark Matter or Dark Energy in hard sci fi, then you need to work on your imagination.

Well, the thing with Dark Matter is that while we have reasonable evidence that it exists, we have no idea what it actually is, which makes it very hard to write about in a scientifically accurate manner. Also there's the question of what exactly you'd do with it. In a soft sci-fi story you might be able to make up some silly explanation of how someone found a way to convert dark matter into energy and use it for interstellar travel. In a hard sci-fi, considering it's an invisible substance that outside of its gravitational pull doesn't seem to interact much with visible matter makes it kinda difficult to find a way to utilize it in any major capacity.

That, and it may just be a case of me being a cynic. I mean out of my body of work at the moment, I've got a grand total of one story (okay, two if you include this RPG) that even so much as suggests the possibility of interstellar travel (and even then that one pretty much ended with everybody dying, or likely to die of asphyxiation once they lost all their oxygen). Most of the other ones are confined to the solar system and even then the furthest I've gone out is Saturn (granted that story wasn't very good). And of course I certainly never touch intergalactic travel because that I do not see happening (unless you include that really bad time travel comedy I wrote where I attempted to use the absurdity of it as a source of humor).

Edited by Atton Rand

Rand, I was going to PM this to you, but your inbox is either full or locked, so it's going where everyone can see.

You seem to be acting under the impression that you're the smartest person in the FTL RPG, and it really bothers me and that you're taking that for granted when it's so blatantly false. I would appreciate it if you stopped. It's very insulting to belittle what we know and expect us not to know basic science, and then "lecture" us about it while getting your facts wrong. From here on out, please assume that nothing you know needs explaining, because the rest of us will know it too. If we don't we will ask a reliable authority.

No, don't start typing about how much stuff you know about astrophysics. It's really not important what you know. The issue is your self-important, pretentious attitude of being the smartest person in the room. Even if it were true, which it isn't, it also makes you extremely unpleasant to associate with.

-Rover

Xomeron, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable yourself, but that doesn't mean everyone here is. If you don't like me explaining the science whenever I have to refer to it just in case someone doesn't understand you don't have to read my descriptions.

lol science

plot is where it's at

Of course. How dare a science fiction writer rely primarily on actual science when writing his stories instead of just making up scientifically-sounding nonsense.

Alright. I'm getting pretty sick of this arguement. So here's a suggestion for everyone, lest this go on for another page.

Drop it.

Nice. Simple. Sweet.

• Upvote 2

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Alright. I'm getting pretty sick of this arguement. So here's a suggestion for everyone, lest this go on for another page.

Drop it.

Nice. Simple. Sweet.

I'll second that.

Atton, Xomeron; if you two simply must bicker and debate, please do it via PM, where the rest of us don't have to put up with it, alright? It gets wearisome after a while. :)

Drop it.

Nice. Simple. Sweet.

I'll second that.

Atton, Xomeron; if you two simply must bicker and debate, please do it via PM, where the rest of us don't have to put up with it, alright? It gets wearisome after a while. :)

Alrighty then. Now I just need to find something I can do in the RPG itself. I have to get out of the pool because I can't get a swimsuit (I could browse around the stores but given she just came off a slave ship she probably doesn't have much money), but my character's still open for interaction.

Yeah I don't think the ship payday has come yet, Nicole probably hasn't gotten a check yet.

Of additional note, I remind people of my earlier comment; play nice. Hate for things to get violent.

voidstars.png

Yeah I don't think the ship payday has come yet, Nicole probably hasn't gotten a check yet.

Right, so that probably keeps her out of the restaurants or bars as well unless there's some sort of credit system (i.e. each crew member is given a certain amount of money they're allowed to spend while aboard) or if the bartenders are just ordered not to charge anyone aboard the Kesler for drinks. I've got a feeling neither is in place given they both could be a bit problematic (with the latter it probably wouldn't be absolute, maybe specific drinks are free but you have to pay for anything fancy).