Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

With the war going on I find that a bit hard to believe.

Most of the characters have seen bad stuff but that doesn't mean our characters can't sleep at night. The Colonel's seen massacres but it just doesn't affect her anymore, not after all the woman's been through. Being jaded is a defense and I imagine most of the veterans on this boat are to some extent.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Really, it tends to boil down to this:

Most of the veterans on board the Kestrel have seen some bad things, been through some bad things, maybe even done some bad things. Odds are a fair bit of them aren't quite normal. However, very few of them have obvious conditions. There's a bit pf fridge kogic at work here; Anyone who went through those things and didn't come out psychologically stable isn't able to do their job, and thus, aren't on board. Regardless of any personal issues that may have arisen, most of the people on board are psychologically... Well, 'fine' might be a bit too normal-sounding, but at least 'okay'.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Issues do not define a character, so no, not really.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

And of course Nicole just got stationed at the site of one of the most devastating battles of the war and watched her girlfriend die on her own operating table. No biggie. :P

Okay, maybe the group therapy is a bit much, but if Nicole is going to overcome this I do think her being able to talk to some other veterans would still be very good for her mental health, but a few one-on-one sessions would probably work better.

Edited by Atton Rand

Can generally enjoyed his part in the war; he was successful, powerful, and shot up the ranks quickly as time went on. He hasn't really been touched by the bad parts of war, thanks to a mix of success and the fact that he never really empathizes with Mantis enough to realize that he's actually killing entire people. If that's insanity, it's necessary insanity, because the alternative is too horrible for him to come to terms with.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Quick question: if we happen to make a new character, will we treat it as if it had been on the ship the entire time? Or will there be stops at outposts where new characters can jump in?

I think the idea is that the character would have to be picked up somewhere along the line. With Nicole at least I had to start out on the slave ship.

Harken is special ops. He probably has seen and done enough things to have some issues by now.

However

He also knows how to deal with them by now. You don't last for twenty years in his line of work without being able to do that. A couple sessions with the psychologist attached to his group, figuring out how to deal with other stuff on his own and he is good. I think it is safe to say that his mental troubles are behind him.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Hmm...

Vincent, in his own words, is just on the Kestrel to fix things. He never really thinks about the implications of the war and all that; he just does what he's told.

Geburah doesn't have too much combat experience, but he's been through a lot of political... Stuff. He acknowledges the ugliness in the world and can empathize with the enemy, but rationalizes this thinking along the lines of what is best for the Zoltan people and the Federation.

Both of them are definitely straight men though (in the comedy sense).

Me, I wrote a lovingly detailed treatsie on the Vendarian culture, it's cultural screwups and the fairly rational reasons those screwups exist.

What can I say, reading history has made me a cynic. :P

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

You know, just because someone isn't posting, doesn't meant they aren't watching the RPG.

And I do have other things to besides post constantly.

Hobbies.

Yard work.

Dark Rites in the name of the most blessed Yig.

You know, every day things.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Well, fortunately my lawn seems to still be inta- oh hang on, it seems some unnamable, indescribable sanity-shattering eldritch horror has just wandered into my yard and started digging some sort of dimensional gateway in my lawn. And now there's an angry mob of James Bond fans armed with torches and pitchforks and shotguns and one guy with a noose trying to break through my fence because they want to kill me for the remarks I said about the franchise in my blog.

I can hear it all coming. The Bond fans have trampled my lawn and broken into the house. They got me, the Eldritch horror is following them, and they're dragging me outside, right towards the ancient otherworldly gateway in the lawn. WHY AM I STILL TYPING THIS! And now I'm falling in, and I've just found myself on the Plateau of Leng. I guess that leaves Nicole open for Interaction while I try and figure out how to get out of here. :P

Edited by Atton Rand

I have a plan, don't worry.

You really want a drone engineer, don't you? xD

voidstars.png

Humva, the ship computer needs a name and a physical platform. ;o;

I thought I'd already named the computer GERTY. I also suggested HAL but apparently artificially intelligent computers resent being named after a computer that malfunctioned killing four people and very nearly a fifth.

Dude we're up to like thirty people on this ship, I'd prefer to keep things open for new players xD

voidstars.png

I know, I know, but I'm still going to keep bringing it up. =P

(Living space wouldn't really be a problem for him, though, he'd probably sleep away from the crew quarters. Not to mention, being commissioned to build an experimental physical platform for an experimental AI would be a great reason for him to come aboard... =P)

- :burnmad: