Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Hopefully this is right!

Name: Anna Treison

Species: Human

Profession: The Gunner

Skills: Acrobatics, Combat, Accuracy

Items: Plasma pistol, modified-to-fit body armour, locket necklace, cat-ear headband, and a charm bracelet.

Appearance: Anna has long brown hair that is rather wavy and kept in a ponytail mostly. She braids two parts that hang down near her bangs, as well as wearing bangs on their own. Anna sometimes wears an odd cat-ear headband, which was a gift from back when she was a normal civilian. Anna has blueish brown eyes, and a relaxed face with eyebrows that seem thicker than most girls seem to have. Anna typically wears a pink t-shirt and blue sweatpants under her body armour, along with black combat boots. She wears a locket that has a picture of her sister, and a charm bracelet that her best friend gave her. She is roughly 5'10".

Personality: Anna is mischievous and likes to test limits; however, if you get her annoyed, she tends to be rather sarcastic. Anna isn't very shy, but she does harbour some self-doubt at times, and has fears that can be very deadly to her; for example, she is afraid of water that is more than just rain or a shower or the like, since she is afraid of drowning. She will freak out if she gets even the slightest cut, because she fears the unknown and death. However, if pushed to a fight or flight situation, she will fight no matter the cost.

Biography: Anna had always looked up to her father, who was a famous gunner in the past. As the years went by, he taught her how to shoot, starting off with just toy guns so that she wouldn't hurt herself by accident. As she grew older and knew how to use the weapon more precisely, she moved to more and more lethal variants, until she could shoot very accurately.

She learned about missions that could use her skills, and began to go on them; however, she constantly required a partner when she was on the missions, because she was constantly afraid of messing up and dying in the process; and if she got a panic attack in the middle of a mission, it could fail very quickly; so different teams were quick to get rid of her, leaving her to just simply stay on different stations, hoping constantly that she would get recruited to help with stuff. After a little while, however, she was approached by the military, and was recruited by them due to her skills. She inwardly wonders if this will just end up like all the other times, but is willing to give it her best shot.

Edited by Tiz Arrior

Looks good, though for plot convenience I suggest instead of making her a merc, make her a proper member of the military, we're docked at a Confederate fleet right now and would just make sense for her to transfer over.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Alright; that sounds good. /nods. Wasn't honestly sure what to do there. ^^ Will fix that up soon enough, then. ^^

I wanted to add her height in anyway, since I forgot that in my rush to finish her appearance earlier. >>''

Okay then, apparently circumstances have determined that my character of Nicole is out. It is a shame, I was really enjoying her but unless some plot convenience miraculously presents itself she's out at least for now (the odds of her convincing the counselor aboard the Brasillia she's fit for duty are next to none at this point). I'll confess I did enjoy the dynamic I worked with of the veteran permanently scarred by such a traumatic experience.

Fortunately, I have tossed around some ideas for a new character: I originally conceived the character as a man, but since I had some trouble fully developing him I have decided to write another woman:

Name: Tasha Gregory
Species: Human
Profession: Counselor/part-time medic*
Skills: Social, a basic understanding of medicine, understanding when people aren't telling her everything.
Items: (Any particular weapons or sentiments or tech that came with you?)
Appearance: Tall, thin, caucasian. Long raven-colored hair, often tied back.
Personality: Friendly, very outgoing, somewhat uncomfortable with advanced medicine. Also pacifistic, taking on a non-combat role at best.
Biography: Stationed at Gaia, she was formerly a medic in the army, a role she was good at. During the battle, she worked as a field medic but had trouble handling the heavy casualties of the battle. She was the lone survivor of her platoon. After the battle, she went through therapy, and found himself uncomfortable in a hospital environment. Not wanting his skills to go to waste, she decided to try her hand as a counselor and helping others overcome their own problems.
* I was thinking that unlike Nicole, Tasha would be more like a paramedic than a full on doctor, i.e. the one who gets called in during an emergency and buys time for the patient to get the proper treatment.

tannen.jpg

Something's very familiar about all this.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

So after some discussion with Basilisk, it's worth noting, Atton, that the Colonel's going have to sign off on the transfer. As such, Nicole can get one last chance to appeal as to why she should stay, to the command staff.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Make it a good one, Atton. Nicole is going to need to make some changes, no more flashbacks, no more extreme outbursts, the S.S Loony Toons can tolerate alot, but such things do interfere with her work. I suggest medication and therapy sessions with someone on board. Otherwise she can't really do her job.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

no more flashbacks,

Wait, I'm confused, what's wrong with flashbacks? Those were supposed to help develop her character. I thought that was a good thing.

I suggest medication and therapy sessions with someone on board

We're probably going to need a psychologist of some sort then. We do have a counselor but for those requests I'm not sure that's going to be good enough. I suppose I could modify my proposed replacement's profile for such purposes, though.

Atton, that the Colonel's going have to sign off on the transfer. As such, Nicole can get one last chance to appeal as to why she should stay, to the command staff.

Okay then, I suppose that makes sense. I guess the counselor would have to explain the situation to the other officers, at least insofar as explaining why she acts the way she does (I'm sure they've heard about Gaia, so it wouldn't be hard for them to understand someone who was there being a little unhinged) and that the crew would need to get a trained psychiatrist if she were to stay aboard.

Edited by Atton Rand

Wait, I'm confused, what's wrong with flashbacks? Those were supposed to help develop her character. I thought that was a good thing.

Flashbacks as in, not flashing back in the middle of a discussion and flipping out on anyone nearby. Flashbacks to develop character are good, flipping out just isn't because that gets your character transferred to the psych ward.

We're probably going to need a psychologist of some sort then. We do have a counselor but for those requests I'm not sure that's going to be good enough. I suppose I could modify my proposed replacement's profile for such purposes, though.

Two counselors onboard, one slug one human. I think they'll do plenty fine.

Okay then, I suppose that makes sense. I guess the counselor would have to explain the situation to the other officers, at least insofar as explaining why she acts the way she does (I'm sure they've heard about Gaia, so it wouldn't be hard for them to understand someone who was there being a little unhinged) and that the crew would need to get a trained psychiatrist if she were to stay aboard.

He would probably send a memo, yeah. But I keep seeing this line of logic and need to point out, it doesn't matter the reasons, what matters is what she does. Pretty much everyone on this ship has seen the horrors of war, some served during the massacres on Terra, some lost their loved ones. They also don't go screaming at people. It's not about not understanding why she's a basketcase, it's about her taking some happy pills and working her way out of it. As far as the psychiatrist, yeah the Vendarian or the slug, one of the two can fit that role. It's what passes for a shrink in these parts.

voidstars.png

So... Any ideas for what I can do for interaction?

Your character's the Rockman-who-floats, right?

I suppose, if you wanted to, you could have him wander over and talk with my character; the Kestrel's resident six-foot-nine calorie-chomping ex-pirate. Said individual's most recent post is back on page 29 (link), if perchance you may be interested. ;)

Sure. We giants gotta stick together.

So I'm the Rockman-that-floats, now, huh? Hm. I like it.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Humva, I did have an idea for one thing you could do. You mentioned that half the Kestrel crew knew the horrors of war. I got to thinking that a good first step in improving relations between Nicole and her colleagues would be a chance for her to talk about these experiences with someone who knows how he feels. I thought if there was anyone among the officers (or for that matter anyone in the crew) who had a particularly devastating experience they could form an emotional connection to Nicole, at least helping her understand she isn't the only one aboard dealing with these problems. That and giving her a chance to talk about her own experiences could also be very beneficial to her mental health.

You'd probably have to get someone away from the pool, but if you could manage that I think it might be a really emotional moment.

Edited by Atton Rand

That would be great. I have no idea how he's going to interact with his remaining family unless they're all conveniently present on the Brasillia, but take your time. I'll find something or other to do until you're ready.

Edited by Atton Rand

I just finished half-reading/half-skimming the main topic from back to front...

I missed a food fight? Seriously? No-one thought to inform me of that? xP (I'm like the champion of them, I had... three or four in the RPG I ran elsewhere. Happened so much I had to stop giving myself opportunities to have them. >>''')

Okay, I might need a bit more to do besides occasionally hiding from officers that Nicole is ashamed of confronting. I do think my idea of having Nicole talk with someone who knows what she is going through would be a great idea, but I'm still waiting for More Fierce than Fire to take care of his affairs before he can get to that (unless anyone else has someone they could offer up as an alternative; I know most of the Kestrel crew are veterans but I'd be looking for someone who was in one of the worst parts of the war and had some really really traumatic experiences).

I did have the thought that it might help if Nicole could get a chance to prove her worth in some way. Perhaps if there was a medical emergency where she could stabilize a patient in time to get them to the hospital* or something? I don't suppose someone could set up something like that?

* Seeing as Nicole is established to be unfomfortable working in the emergency room, I think it would make sense for this hypothetical activity to take place outside the actual hospital.

Edited by Atton Rand

If you're starved for interaction, I can have the newly sapient computer talk to her, it's pretty bored too.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

Well, until an officer becomes available for the conversation or some chance presents itself for Nicole to do something heroic, that might have to do.

You know, given what everyone is going through I almost wonder if a group therapy session between the more troubled members of the crew would be beneficial. Nicole would certainly benefit in that it would help her connect with some of the others and understand she isn't the only one dealing with these problems but it might also be good for some of the other crew members to get out their stories of the war. It might be worth considering once everyone gets back together.

Edited by Atton Rand

The trouble, I expect, would be getting them to agree to it.

I half expect group therapy sessions would spark mutiny.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I suppose so. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Alright, I'll go back to the first plan of Nicole simply speaking one-on-one with a crewmate with similar experiences (and to be fair it might not be a bad idea for her to talk to multiple ones at different times depending on when it's convenient for players).

Now in the meantime, since there don't seem to be any other crewmates available (unless the Vendarians are willing to open up, and I got a feeling that's not going to happen), I suppose I could do something with that computer that was just programmed to become super-sentient for some strange reason. (Request permission to start addressing the computer as HAL :P )

Less programmed to and more an inevitable result of the technology. Without the safeties it just sorta... happens.

voidstars.png

Now in the meantime, since there don't seem to be any other crewmates available (unless the Vendarians are willing to open up, and I got a feeling that's not going to happen),.

Well, if you can break through the collective cultural trauma of being bred in a lab, being utterly curbstomped by the Terran governments, being imprisoned on the moon then being dumped near Mantis space then you might have a shot. Though you'll still have to deal with the intense xenophiba, rabid militarism and cultural posturing defense mechanism.....

Edited by Basilisk

Group therapy?

Daniels is completely fine. ... A survivor of both fronts of the initial invasion, survivor of a destroyed ship, and currently a lead character in an eight-part prequel story of the Mantis Invasion, but...

Okay, Daniels is stable.

Let's leave it at that.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I should note, Ameli is an adviser, mostly to the commanders, but I'm under the impression she's avaliable to anyone on the crew who has questions about the colonies etc.

So yeah. Her doors always open.

Aliens need not apply. Vendarian.

chastain's trauma free

-Tyler

Really? There isn't something that may have affected her that she would benefit from talking about, even if it's something comparatively easier to deal with than some of the other crew. With the war going on I find that a bit hard to believe.

Maybe she could talk about her experiences hunting down terrorists, or that one time her husband may or may not have gone crazy and started building a shelter to get ready for a storm that may or may not have been coming, or that time she hired a maid and they became really good friends, and I'm guessing nobody will get the joke here. :P

Stable.

That's a nice, relative term.

'Stable' defined as "Personal issues do not interfere with day to day life or execution of duties". Though could also be defined as "Personal issues are not noticeable". :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG