Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Yeah I don't think the ship payday has come yet, Nicole probably hasn't gotten a check yet.

Right, so that probably keeps her out of the restaurants or bars as well unless there's some sort of credit system (i.e. each crew member is given a certain amount of money they're allowed to spend while aboard) or if the bartenders are just ordered not to charge anyone aboard the Kesler for drinks. I've got a feeling neither is in place given they both could be a bit problematic (with the latter it probably wouldn't be absolute, maybe specific drinks are free but you have to pay for anything fancy).

"I'll have... uh...

...just water, please."

Yeah I don't think the ship payday has come yet, Nicole probably hasn't gotten a check yet.

Right, so that probably keeps her out of the restaurants or bars as well unless there's some sort of credit system (i.e. each crew member is given a certain amount of money they're allowed to spend while aboard) or if the bartenders are just ordered not to charge anyone aboard the Kesler for drinks. I've got a feeling neither is in place given they both could be a bit problematic (with the latter it probably wouldn't be absolute, maybe specific drinks are free but you have to pay for anything fancy).

"I'll have... uh...

...just water, please."

I could maybe see a system wherein certain more common beverages are free. I believe we have established that many popular sodas (I.E. Coca-Cola) are still around. Maybe some popular beers like Heineken or Pabst Blue Ribbon (insert obligatory joke referencing the movie Blue Velvet which I'm guessing nobody in this RPG has seen and thus probably won't get here).

We do have physical money, the commonly accepted human and by extension Federation currency (we adopted it partially from the aliens, though it's complicated origins) is Iridium chips. Iridium is sufficiently rare enough in the cosmos to keep inflation down while also having new supplies found frequently enough to be justifiable. Paperbacks and digital exist, but it is entirely backed by an iridium standard. Our currency is called a credit, as all good scifi currencies are.

Worth noting, though, that food and beverages are so cheap that on a military vessel it's probably free unless it's really fancy or rare. For something like a Battleship it's going have a huge stockpile, enough to last the better part of a year, so for a fellow military officer, probably not going to charge.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Why is a psychologically unstable slaver victim who really ought to be sent groundside for therapy on the ship's payroll in the first place?

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Having two doctors is nice for when one of them suffers an unfortunate accident. Woman will need to get a psyche eval though, probably while we're still docked at the Brasilia.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Why is a psychologically unstable slaver victim who really ought to be sent groundside for therapy on the ship's payroll in the first place?

That's a good question. I did consider one elaborate idea that maybe there was some shady official who had some sort of hidden agenda (which would explain why she was taken out so abruptly and her own psychologists weren't given a say in the matter), perhaps because they wanted the Ambassador to get captured so they assigned an officer they knew wouldn't be able to protect him.

As for why she was put on the Kestrel, Humva's explanation is probably the most straight forward and makes the most sense (even if my idea of there being some kind of conspiracy turned out to be true why she would be assigned to that ship is anyone's guess).

Woman will need to get a psyche eval though, probably while we're still docked at the Brasilia.

That's a good point. You might want to send a psychologist my way first chance you get.

I can't really see that psyche eval ending in anything other than an "UNFIT FOR DUTY" stamp.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

The instability may raise a few flags.

voidstars.png

Well, understandably given she was present at one of the worst events of the war, personally saw a loved one die on her own operating table, and then got dragged out of subsequent therapy I guess some concerns might arise, but evidently she was considered fit enough to be assigned to the Kestrel instead of being sent off with the other slaves.

Edited by Atton Rand

Yeah, and honestly the Colonel delegates a lot of these things. She was probably waved through on the doctor thing alone, and her psych record wouldn't be available in the Kestrel's database, not that expansive. There's just been no way to figure this out until now, other than a scheduled appointment with the slugs or something.

voidstars.png

Say, after we all die horribly in space, can we do a run on the Adjudicator? Or maybe the Bravais?

- :burnmad:

I nominate the Kruos or the Shrike.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

"I'll have... uh...

...just water, please."

I could maybe see a system wherein certain more common beverages are free. I believe we have established that many popular sodas (I.E. Coca-Cola) are still around. Maybe some popular beers like Heineken or Pabst Blue Ribbon (insert obligatory joke referencing the movie Blue Velvet which I'm guessing nobody in this RPG has seen and thus probably won't get here).

I love David Lynch so yeah there's that I guess just an aside.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

"I'll have... uh...

...just water, please."

I love David Lynch so yeah there's that I guess just an aside.

-Tyler

Ah, good. I'm not the only Lynch fan here. At least that joke went over better than that time I was in a futuristic RPG where I kept referencing the movie Zulu and half my cast was made up of people who were direct descendants of people from the battle that movie is based off of which of course nobody had heard of before I came along.

Edited by Atton Rand

Knowing lots of references to movies is not something to be particularly proud of, and absolutely no one is interested in hearing you brag about how much you know.

For reference, no one's much interested in hearing you brag about anything.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

If we descend into "he started it first" territory, my backhand is ever-ready for a bi***slap.

voidstars.png

Sigh.

Just hug it out guys. It honestly has gotten a little annoying, and before one of you jumps on my case, I honestly don't care who started it. Find a way to work past your differences or do us all a favor and just don't pay attention to each other's posts.

Fight fight fight. Kiss kiss.

Edited by Commander Viral

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Now, to get back on track here, I'd say Nicole is open for interaction if anyone wants to head on to the bar. We were discussing before whether to give her a psyche evaluation. It might be good to address some of the issues she does have and how she remains part of the Kestrel.

If we descend into "he started it first" territory, my backhand is ever-ready for a bi***slap.

This was hilarious. My sides hurt from unexpected laughter. Wowee. Good stuff.

That's all well and good but I don't suppose we could get back to the game now?

Adveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeent!

There you are! Your presence has been lacking. Welcome back. Side note, Avengers will probably be up and running over in Marvel in a few days.

That's all well and good but I don't suppose we could get back to the game now?

Atton, relaaaaaaaaaaaax. Deep breaths. In, out. It was funny, and it's not like he's talking about the dispute; Just Humva's very amusing reaction to it. So let's all relax, all stop being touchy, and move on from there.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Psst. Atton.

A dirty little secret for you to mull over...

Most characters who aren't doing stuff are still open for your interaction. Even if it isn't in your character's nature to go looking for people to talk to, it's easy enough for you get two characters doing stuff in-context if you're creative enough.

Sooooooo...

Rehn is open for interaction. Nicole is open for interaction. If you'd like, I could have this be really easy and have Rehn come up to her and begin firing off questions...

Psst. Atton.

A dirty little secret for you to mull over...

Most characters who aren't doing stuff are still open for your interaction. Even if it isn't in your character's nature to go looking for people to talk to, it's easy enough for you get two characters doing stuff in-context if you're creative enough.

Sooooooo...

Rehn is open for interaction. Nicole is open for interaction. If you'd like, I could have this be really easy and have Rehn come up to her and begin firing off questions...

Um... okay, maybe something like that could work. I was going to set up an interaction like that but instead of responding you just had her fall asleep.

I have this suspicion that Rockmen float because of these absolutely massive lungs they have, needed to drive creatures of such weight.

voidstars.png