Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Atton Rand: I think we all took grade school, we know about how inhospitable Venus is. Also, there's a habitable level of the atmosphere a few dozen kilometers up in Venus' atmosphere, so sky cities almost certainly would have been put in place for the sake of Venus' chemical industries.

Next time ask before you flat out declare things about the setting.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Atton, consider this a warning; you seem to continue to take liberties with the setting without prior consultation. I don't mind people introducing their ideas, anyone in the FTL skype chat can attest to this. What I do mind is people taking those liberties without me giving permission to use them. Please, consult me in the future on these points, I'm pretty easily reached on here or on Skype, and do my best to get back to questions promptly. In the case of your Gaia PM, I consulted some others before getting back to you, and that was the reason for the delay.

Do not do this again and we should be fine.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Atton, consider this a warning; you seem to continue to take liberties with the setting without prior consultation. I don't mind people introducing their ideas, anyone in the FTL skype chat can attest to this. What I do mind is people taking those liberties without me giving permission to use them. Please, consult me in the future on these points, I'm pretty easily reached on here or on Skype, and do my best to get back to questions promptly. In the case of your Gaia PM, I consulted some others before getting back to you, and that was the reason for the delay.

Do not do this again and we should be fine.

Alright then, I'm sorry I pulled that little thing. Admittedly you people were right to an extent in me forgetting about that habitable portion of the Venusian atmosphere. I will go out an say I'm a little skeptical about the possibility of building stations there but I can't provide any solid reasoning why it couldn't be done if the means were available.

I feel I should ask this right now. Am I a burden on you people? I can justify myself pointing out that I'm alternating between two different extremes regarding the hardness of science fiction but if you feel that I'm causing trouble, you just say the word and I'll go off and write my own hard science fiction stories where I have complete control over everything and leave you all alone.

If you can keep yourself within the scope of this universe then your presence is fine, but if you can't then I think it would be in your best interests to write your own thing.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I'm gonna be the one to say what he's thinking instead of trying to be nice, since that's what I do.

Yes. You are a burden. Your RPing is lackluster, your ideas are uninspired, you seem to think that you're the most learned person in a thread full of engineers and networkers. Your characters fit with the group terribly. You seem more interested in RPing with made-up NPCs rather than the party. You don't seem to contribute much to the group.

I speak only for myself, but I want you out of the game and think it would be better without you.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Well, part of the reason I got into this was to allow me to practice writing a bit more often, if only casual as opposed to my more professional work. To be fair working with other players is also a good exercise in that regard. I'm okay working with other players I'm more concerned about how other players feel about me.

Alright, I'll try and keep to the limits. I even took the liberty of adding a few extra lines clarifying that I was referring to the surface and the cloud cities (I'm not sure if there's a proper name) exist. Fortunately that was just a single conversation dealing with something we probably won't be seeing, so I suppose it could have been worse, especially if it was with something relevant to the main plot.

Your characters fit with the group terribly. You seem more interested in RPing with made-up NPCs rather than the party. You don't seem to contribute much to the group.

Hey man, I've been interacting with other players. Yes, at the moment my character is in a conversation with an NPC but I thought that conversation was helping to develop her character. The only other significant NPC I have is the one who Nicole only interacts with in flashbacks because she's dead. That was supposed to be a major driving force in her psychology, including the way she interacts with other players in the present.

Also last I checked interacting with NPCs wasn't usually a serious crime in RPG's, I know in this one it is discouraged to introduce NPC's among the crew but when we're on another ship surrounded by them I don't see why it's a problem giving one guy a name and allowing him some minor interaction.

And what do you mean I'm uninspired? I thought at times I was being quite clever.

Edited by Atton Rand

Frankly, if wanting someone out of the game was sufficent reason to boot someone out, I suspect we'd have alot of empty RPGs.

Atton is active, might make mistakes, but he's stuck with a single RPG for years. Dedicated, if nothing else.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I never said we should boot him. He asked a question and I gave my opinion. Never asked for any sort of action.

Also, Rand, as correction about Venus. Carbon dioxide is not toxic. You exhale it every time you breathe. As for "Interacting" with other characters, if that's what you call skipping their chance to even speak so you can keep talking, sure.

-Rover

Really? Try breathing a bunch of carbon dioxide with little to no oxygen and see what happens. If only simply because it is not oxygen, it is toxic.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Really? Try breathing a bunch of carbon dioxide with little to no oxygen and see what happens. If only simply because it is not oxygen, it is toxic.

Actually, pure oxygen is deadly as well. You can only breathe a very specific mixture of both carbon and oxygen, and too much of one or the other is poisonous.

Do what? Breathe pure oxygen? I think so, I mean there's a reason that military planes, at least, have pure oxygen breathing masks. As far as I know, breathing pure oxygen just makes you high. (A friend of mine did it on a field trip, he was more hyper than normal the rest of the time).

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Pretty sure breathing pure oxygen doesn't make you high. Thats why hospitals still have to give you morphine rather than letting you huff oxygen. But they do have to keep watch on those oxygen masks they sometimes use so you don't breathe too much of it because, yes, breathe enough pure oxygen and it'll kill you. Too much of anything will kill you, oxygen, salt, water, sugar...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Well, that's true. But still, my friend was loopy all that afternoon. Perhaps not high, per say, but hyper and loopy, yes.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

You're misusing the word "Toxic"

Toxic means that a gas is outright damaging to an organism, on its own. Carbon dioxide is an inert gas and not chemically reactive enough to be toxic. Just because it means you can't get oxygen doesn't mean it's toxic. By your logic, water is toxic, which it obviously isn't.

-Rover

By the way, Xom, your use of the term "Mantis crew members" reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

The other one hasn't been posted with once so far, so does he still exist, or...?

- :burnmad:

By the way, Xom, your use of the term "Mantis crew members" reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

The other one hasn't been posted with once so far, so does he still exist, or...?

Maybe if you're sure his player isn't coming back, you could throw in a mention of him being transferred to the crew of Brasilla. That way you could acknowledge his existence but have some justification for why we don't see him.

Edited by Atton Rand

Heh, if I had a a char in Ashley's position...

He would first peruse all of the information contained within Dorian's mind and, upon learning of the possibility that he received psionic powers, immediately begin trying to break into the minds of those around him. As he felt the rising concern emanating from Dorian for the agent's own well-being, considering his status of being trapped in a maniac's head, he would sneer and say something along the lines of "Who cares what happens to you, you're just a copy."

Then his consciousness would be crushed under the weight of all the information contained within the minds he wormed into. Not necessarily a bad thing, since we haven't had a death yet, let alone a nice, dramatic one.

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

I'm going to just step waaaaaay back here. Away from Burnmad.

Far away.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

The Corps Is Mother. The Corps is Father. Trust The Corps.

-Rover

Psionics are not really stealthy at all in this game; any telepathic presence can basically be instantly detected, except for the smallest and very fine attempts. Of course, if your intent is to violently take someone's thoughts, doesn't matter too much.

voidstars.png

Of course, if your intent is to violently take someone's thoughts, doesn't matter too much.

Exactly!

And besides, I'd imagine you'd have to A) be familiar with someone's mind or B] (You can't slip past me, emote!) glean their identity from their invasive mental presence as they're stripping your consciousness of information, to know exactly who was reading your mind, anyway. =P

No, but psionic defense training is a thing, and has been for a while. When someone wants you out of their mind, you need to be very good to pry through.

voidstars.png

True enough. What variables do you think would effect someone's psionic ability, by the way? Training is the most obvious one, after which I'd probably say willpower.

Now I want to make a TBS RPG with psionics. Dangit, Humva. =P

TBS RPG? What does that mean?

Humva, can you explain what just happened, and what planets were mentioned, and why they are important?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Turn based strategy.

As to what happened, humanity is turning the war around and Vendar's ghosts are coming back to haunt it. The planets aren't that significant to us but I like to make it feel like stuff is happening in the universe.

voidstars.png

Literally, Vendar has ghosts coming to haunt it, or the results of some bad decisions are coming back?

EDIT:

Okay, in retrospect, that was a stupid question. Results, obviously.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

As detailed in Basilisk's expanded lore in his profile post, Bastion is a planet that was conquered by the Vendarians. This is some peeps getting rather upset after all those years and coming back.

voidstars.png

Oh, okay. To be honest, I never read all that extended lore. Too much, with too little time. I just read the character profiles.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

My lore is primarily holed up in the FTL skype chat and doesn't come of much in the game proper, Basilisk's is handily collected in his profile post.

voidstars.png

My lore is primarily holed up in the FTL skype chat and doesn't come of much in the game proper, Basilisk's is handily collected in his profile post.

Certainly a lot of information that might be helpful the next time I encounter a Vendarian, maybe even a little bit too much; I'm not sure we'll be needing any of those boats in an RPG set primarily in outer space. (Also, is it just me or did the "assault boat" look suspiciously like the boats used at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan)

In the meantime, I've got to wait for Magus to come along and post the next part of our conversation. Until then there isn't a whole lot I can do IC-wise unless anyone else wants to come down and interact with Nicole. Unfortunately that may be difficult given most of our cast is either busy with more important matters or doesn't know where she is (in the case of Ashley and Souper Saladd).