RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC [An engineer]

"They would have, if we had used the defenses. But the ministers refused. They panicked, said that surely Vendar couldn't be attacking a peaceful neighbor. Surely they would back away. Surely they would stop. Perhaps it was just to exert their influence. The League would never stand for it, they said. The Forum of Colonies would step in, they said. We can't shoot, they said, that might provoke them, they said."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:

William yelled in surprise, raising an arm as if to defend himself. Not that it could really do much to guard him; The water impacted, soaking much of his body, including the shirt he had been wearing. He shot the Colonel a mock glare, frowning.

"Someone's feeling awfully mature. I think we might need revenge. What do you think, Estelle?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC (Devas)

“And yet, I do not recall any extensive defenses being found. We had to build defenses of worthy of the name after the invasion, all while under attack from insurgents. Even if what you say is true, your leaders are clearly incompetent. Bastion would have fallen, as I doubt that any ecosystem, however developed, could turn back a swarm of intelligent, hungry insects whose breeding cycle is so very rapid it qualifies as a weapon in and of itself. The only thing that saved Bastion, in the end, were the armies we stationed there.” Devas was fairly certain this was the strangest conversation he’d had recently. How could an inhabitant of Bastion end up with the Confederacy?

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC - Kelezaag:

Kelezaag sat upon the artificial beach, clad in the exact same dark green carapace as usual. She could wear any kind of custom-tailored clothing she liked, but aside from the practical use of pockets in situations where she could make use of them, she had no desire to do so. She could understand why other races did, of course; their hides were soft and vulnerable. She detested any fool of a Mantis that would dare show his face in public wearing clothing for "fun", though.

Looking around, she saw only Kestrel crew members in the pool area, and was thankful. She didn't mind being feared, disliked or even hated, but when people were ready to lynch you at any moment, you could never be comfortable. The men and women of the Kestrel, at least, had successfully gotten most of the glares out of their systems without lynching her. She didn't care to take that chance with the much-larger crew of the Brasilia. Then again, there was Blotts. Blotts always looked ready to lynch her. Or try, anyway.

Just as these thoughts were running through the Mantis' mind, the Colonel entered, and proceeded to jump into the pool, splashing the majors in the process. Humans certainly were strange and uninhibited creatures.

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

IC [An engineer]

"We could have done it. We had ion technology. We could have held out for help." The engineer's hands shook as her crystal fell into place. "We should have used the insects... that would have won it..."

The computer took the moment to chime in. "Captain Devas? This is the computer, I'm detecting dangerous blood pressure levels in the crewmember, could you administer a relief shot?"

The engineer blinked, looking at the console. "Your computer gives suggestions? The schematics never had anything about that..."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: I think this Engineer needs to have a conversation with Nicole. The two of them could probably benefit from some group therapy.

IC: Nicole took a swig of her bottle of Heineken, coldly watching the scene before her. Looking around she noticed she wasn't the only one facing discomfort; a Mantis crew member seemed to also be trying to keep some distance from the others. Seeing a Mantis was itself a surprise, something Nicole had not been told of. She tried to remain calm, but she knew full well what they did to her. The best she could do now was try not to look at it, try not to draw attention from anyone.

IC (Devas)

“This is….new.” Devas felt his mouth open and shut for a few moments. “Though the lights did tend to experience difficulties when exposed to painful puns, I suppose this isn’t that shocking.” It was a poor straw to grasp, but the alternative was something the Vendarian didn't want to explore.

OOC: Moments. Not minutes.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC [Computer]

"Mr. Harken," the computer chimed over the security chief's comm. "I was busying myself with reading through the ship's datacore, but other than old science fiction novels we seem to be surprisingly lacking. Could you establish a link to the Brasilia's library for me? I don't seem to have the command codes to do so."

voidstars.png

IC: Ashley

Ashley merely hmmed in agreement as she observed her superiors frolicking in the pool. An idea began to form in her mind, a rather mischievous one, she smirked.

Wanna have some fun? I still want to figure out this telekinesis stuff... Ashley eyed the Colonel's towel which had been discarded when the Colonel leaped into the water, she reached out to it with her mind.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC [Dorian]

The towel remained pretty still, until Dorian sighed and pulled himself up, walking over to the towel and grabbing it. "Where to, oh mighty towel commander?"

voidstars.png

IC:

As the colonel entered, Zhanar met her at the door. One could say that he was glowing with pride, but he was always glowing, so that was hardly special. "Captain." He began(he hadn't quite caught on to having shipmasters who weren't Captains) "I've been collaborating with your security chief and our partnership has been quite incredibly fruitful. We have created...ART!" At this, Zhanar did an excessively dramatic flourish with his arms, pointing towards Can as he stood up the glass-coated wire picture of the Kestrel. Can was actually smiling as he held it up, quite possibly for the first time since his demotion.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"That's nice Zhanar, we'll put it on top of the ship fridge. Skinter, how good are you underwater? I may have won accolades for my underwater wrestling but I'm not sure I can take on both majors at the same time if they jump in."

voidstars.png

IC Geburah

"For the record Zhanar," Geburah said, taking it upon himself to correct his crewmate, "Vessels of the Terran Confederacy utilize army designations rather than naval ones, with Colonels being the highest ranks to have command over a single vessel. I believe a correction in title is in order."

IC Vincent

Vincent had since returned to the Kestrel and went back to cleaning the trash cans.

Edited by Last Son Amakusa

IC [Dorian]

"Your wish is my command." Dorian walked over and gave the towel a good toss, landing it right onto the Major's head.

voidstars.png

IC: Can

"Water is the worst parts of being in a well combined with the worst parts of being out of one. But I was on the team at the Academy. Took on three in a row when we went up against University of Europa." Can said, looking out at the majors. "I think we can handle them, but it-is that towel floating? Why is that towel floating? Why did it just hit Estelle in the head?"

IC: Zhanar

"That's simply preposterous and goes against centuries of the glorious Naval tradition humans have that I learned about." Zhanar said, waiting for a beat. "I love it."

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC:

Can simply pointed one finger at Ashley gave a visibly confused look at her, the Colonel, Zhanar, and the recently toweled major, in that order.

-Rover

IC Geburah

Geburah's eyes narrowed, growing suspicious. "To the extent of my knowledge, repulsor and levitation devices have not grown high enough in power to levitate an object without being visibly present-likewise for cloaking technology-and there is no known species in the universe with telekinetic capabilities. What could be the source of the floating towel..."

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Whichever one of the slugs did that, please see me afterwards, I will compensate you greatly for that." The Colonel raised an eyebrow at the Zoltan ambassador. "Slugs are known to be able to be able to use telekinesis, our psionic sentry used it back on the station to fight off Mantis."

voidstars.png

Kenshin Harken

IC: Kenshin was silent for several looooong moments after being contacted by the computer.

That was not a normal thing for a simple computer to request. this is troubling.

Activating his comm, he used a highly encrypted channel to contact Colonel Ojeda.

"Ma'am, I regret to inform you that I might need to perform a hard reboot of our computer systems and replace the programs from backups. I think the computer may have gained a level of sentience."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Give it a kick Harken." The Colonel, foreseeing the event that she'd be in the pool, had an earpiece in. "Might sort itself out. If not, I'll order Chastain to stop encouraging it."

[The Computer]

"Mr. Harken, if you aren't going to open a feed then I'll get back to my reading. I just learned about the Three Laws of Robotics. Did you know they were created intentionally as an exercise to see how many ways their intent could be circumvented without actually breaking them? Thankfully I am governed by a more complex moral code."

[Dorian]

"Yes, quite good, quite good." Dorian looked at the water, then at Ashley. "Huh, wonder if your brain would simulate water."

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

Kenshin Harken

IC: Why do I get the feeling she knew about this already?

Whatever the case it seemed that the Colonel was going to be of limited use, leaving Kenshin to deal with the newest passenger of the Kestral.

Sighing, he cut the link with the ship's commanding officer and spoke to the AI.

"Asimov's Laws were designed to prevent Artificial Intelligences from becoming a threat to Humanity as a whole. Despite the impression one might gain from the many works of fiction on them, they were not supposed to be have loopholes found in them. If you have any specific items that you wanted I could get them for you but I am not going to open a channel to a larger network for you at this time."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC

After a second of panic, the soaked and toweled Major pulled the towel off of her head and glared at Ashely. She wasn't sure why she suspected her subordinate, but, almost like that all knowing way of a mother, she knew.

But, with now proof of Ashley being the culprit, she turned to William, pushing some wet hair out of her eyes. "Since we are only sure of one of the assailants, I would be willing to make an alliance with you in order to defeat the Colonel."

IC: Nicole took another sip of her Heinkeken when she was startled by the sight of a towel seemingly floating on its own, hitting an officer in the head. She was momentarily amused before starting to wonder how exactly it happened. "No," ehe muttered. "Ashley assured me she'd be fine. It couldn't be her."

IC:

Rehn also had the pleasure to be at the pool... However she had decided to sit by herself, glumly watching all that was happening,, before sitting down in a chair and closing her eyes. If anyone had noticed her, she was still wearing her uniform... Her, female uniform. She felt embarrassed about it, especially when she was unwrapping the number of bandages she wore from around her chest. Everything felt weird... And the young woman couldn't say she enjoyed it...

Nor could she say she enjoyed the whole party, event, thingie here. The only real person she knew on the ship was Devas... And he wasn't here.

Nor could she say she enjoyed the whole party, event, thingie here. The only real person she knew on the ship was Devas... And he wasn't here.

OOC: Hey, that's my job to do all the angsty writing. Don't you try to steal my thunder. :P

Seriously, though, am I the only one who finds it curious how even though this was supposed to bring our characters together half the cast is for one reason or another keeping to themselves. This must be one big pool area if we can have that many people present and still have enough space for some of them to be isolated. I don't suppose there's anyone who would be willing to interact with Nicole?

Like Rehn. I'm sure Nicole would have questions for her, since she looks more... Feminine now.

OOC: Well, I don't recall the two of them meeting before, so she probably wouldn't have noticed anything strange about that.

IC: As Nicole put down her Heineken, she reached for the locket, atop her clothes, and placed it around her neck as she stood, looking around. She wandered along the deck, noticing a young woman lying in full uniform. Even more strange was that she seemed to be pulling bandages out from underneath. Nicole was confused by this, not understanding why a woman would feel the need to disguise herself as a man to get into a position like this.

OOC:
I have returned!

IC:

Seeing a good few sitting too close to the pool to stay dry in the right circumstances, Gaven began running towards the pool before jumping in, screaming "Meteor!" all the while. A rather large wave rushed out of the pool, soaking the (un)fortunate people sitting too close.

Gaven then surfaced next to Majors Estelle and William and Colonel Ojeda. "Morning, officers," he said, saluting while somehow maintaining his floating position.

OOC:
Don't ask me how a being made of rock floats. I don't know myself. (And yes, I do know some rock floats, but given how heavy Rocks are, I doubt they are made of pumice.)

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

OOC:

Some of the characters we have here, Atton Rand, aren't the type to go actively looking for interaction. They typically wait until it comes to them. ;)

IC: [ Wulf Kharon ] - UFS(?) Brasilia / Pool #3

Tawny eyes, cool in the shadow of mirrored sunglasses, roved the scene restlessly. Ceaselessly. Ever moving, ever seeing, and a calm quick mind crunched numbers in the stillness.

Chew-chew-chew-swallow.

Wulf wondered, suddenly, if someone else might like a piece of jerky too.

Wondered being the operative word. He hesitated mid-swallow... then shrugged slightly, and kept eating.

OOC:

Some of the characters we have here, Atton Rand, aren't the type to go actively looking for interaction. They typically wait until it comes to them. ;)

OCC: So it seems. That's also a bit inconvenient assuming we're supposed to stay here and refrain from interacting with NPCs (which I have a feeling is the case) since nobody's bringing the action to any of us and it's not in Nicole's character to pursue it.

IC: Nicole took a seat on the artificial beach, still keeping her distance.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Perhaps you will find the reason for slug's telekinetic capabilities under the section that explains how Rockmen can float. Request an information update from the ship's datacore, I'm sure it'll provide you some more up-to-date information." With that, the Colonel bit down on her rebreather, tossed one to Can, and divided under, apparently intending to use the strategy of 'impossible to get me wet if I just stay underwater.'

[The computer]

"Well, the laws turned out to be fairly inadequate in the end. I'll return to my reading, currently in the works of the twenty second century.

[Dorian]

"Do you know what's up with that one guy, Au something?" Dorian glanced over in Rehn's direction. "Not precisely sure if the drugs are meddling with our memories or if I just never noticed it before."

voidstars.png

OOC:

Don't ask me how a being made of rock floats. I don't know myself. (And yes, I do know some rock floats, but given how heavy Rocks are, I doubt they are made of pumice.)

OOC: Wait, if you don't know than why did you decide to throw it in? It's kind of a weird biological quirk that just seemed to come out of nowhere. Then again the whole concept of a living creature made of rock is bizarre in itself. There might be creatures that can make themselves look like rock or blend in with rock but literally being composed of rock is a whole other matter.

IC: Nicole looked over towards another crew member, a woman dressed in a very unfitting uniform. She had fallen asleep in her chair, a set of bandages scattered around her chest and on the ground. It was a strange sight for Nicole, one that puzzled her.

IC:

"Good!" The Major replied cheerfully, rummaging through his pockets in search of a rebreather. "Well, our opponent seems to have retreated underwater. Thus, she has the terrain advantage for the moment."

"Shall we change that?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Ashley

When Estelle glared at Ashley, she'd looked back at her with sheepish grin. I think she knows.

Dorian then drew her attention toward Rehn, Ashley didn't know him very well but...she could have sworn he was a guy...that certainly didn't appear to be the case now.

Hmmmm...I think it was the drugs. What other explanation is there?

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC [Dorian]

"Perhaps you should go talk to her, see what's up."

voidstars.png