Which powers can affect Voporak?

So far, we've only seen one power capable of actually harming (and defeating) Voporak: Vacuum. It was used by Makuta in Time Trap. Since speeding up time, as Voporak does, cannot create air where there is none, this power can neutralize him.

But is it the only one?

For instance, I was thinking about mental powers. In Time Trap, Makuta, when battling Voporak, uses his Mind-Reading power to predict his moves, which suggests that Voporak is vulnerable to that kind of thing. However, despite being extremely skilled with mental powers (as we've seen many times), Makuta never used them to actually attack his opponent.

Does this mean that a mental attack wouldn't work? If so, why (since it is possible to read his mind)? Perhaps, I thought, actually attacking mentally means directing psionic energy at Voporak and his temporal shield would disperse it. What do you think?

Another power I was wondering about is gravity. Voporak is affected by ordinary gravity, otherwise he wouldn't be able to stick to the ground. If so, variating it should still affect him. Again, what do you think?

Can you also think about any other power which might affect him?

Edited by Toa of Italy
  • Upvote 2

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

Well, speaking realistically, it's probably because the story team hadn't decided to give Makuta killer telepathic powers at that point yet, so Greg was "limited" to the Kraata powers they'd come up with in '03. Story-wise, I've got no clue. Maybe since Makuta was only recently freed, he was too scatterbrained to muster up all his mental strength?

Voporak is actually vulnerable to a lot of attacks -- essentially, anything that isn't physical in origin. Gravity or magnetism could easily shut him down, along with laser vision, heat vision, disintegration, etc. Not sure why he gave Makuta so much trouble, actually.

(Note that gravity does not make Voporak "stick" to the ground. It pulls him -- and everything else -- towards the ground. There's no adhesion involved.)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Actually, Hakann's mental blast could have taken V out. Also: Komau.

Voporak is actually vulnerable to a lot of attacks -- essentially, anything that isn't physical in origin. Gravity or magnetism could easily shut him down, along with laser vision, heat vision, disintegration, etc. Not sure why he gave Makuta so much trouble, actually.

(Note that gravity does not make Voporak "stick" to the ground. It pulls him -- and everything else -- towards the ground. There's no adhesion involved.)

Why would laser vision, etc, and disintegration not be susceptible to the time field? Also magnetic forces can only last so long, especially if they're being generated by a Toa. Gravity might work, but an increase in Gravity might be connected to time as well, rendering Voporak immune.

I imagine using certain powers indirectly - such as by toppling a building over him - would be something Voporak can't simply age to dust to get away from. Just slashing him with a sword should hurt him in a way, so long as the sword was made of materials that stand up well to age. Drowning him should also be efficient.

I imagine using certain powers indirectly - such as by toppling a building over him - would be something Voporak can't simply age to dust to get away from. Just slashing him with a sword should hurt him in a way, so long as the sword was made of materials that stand up well to age. Drowning him should also be efficient.

i don't think you understand the degree of Voporak's power. as evidenced by the Rahkshi that Makuta sends after him in Time Trap, anything that gets near him starts aging before it even touches him, and ages extremely quickly. you couldn't harm him just by toppling a building on him or cutting him with a weapon - the building, the weapon, and whoever was holding it would all turn to dust before doing any damage.

gravity or magnetism, as constant, universal forces, would probably be able to do something to Voporak - whether or not it would actually harm him is questionable, and probably depends on how the power is used.

• Upvote 2

Actually, Hakann's mental blast could have taken V out. Also: Komau.

Why would laser vision, etc, and disintegration not be susceptible to the time field? Also magnetic forces can only last so long, especially if they're being generated by a Toa. Gravity might work, but an increase in Gravity might be connected to time as well, rendering Voporak immune.

Why would laser vision and disintegration be susceptible to the time field?? From my understanding of Voporak's powers, he ages individual beings or objects to dust. A laser beam or a disintegration ray, not being physical objects, would be unaffected. Stick a bunch of photons in a vacuum for a hundred millennia, and they will not somehow decompose; they're not radioactive isotopes, they're not even atoms, they're energy dressed up like mass. Magnetism, similarly, is a fundamental force and has no physical form, only physical effects. Correct me if I misunderstand the way the world works, but I'm pretty confident you can't age force or energy away.

As for disintegration rays, we simply don't know enough about how they work in BIONICLE to know if they dissipate with time or not. My assumption is that they're also a form of energy, and thus immune to age.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

While energy, such as a laser beam, won't disintegrate, it WILL dissipate and become harmless. Magnetism and gravity, being forces rather than matter or energy, should affect him, but I don't think either could be fatal to such a powerful creature. And the Olmak's portals close once something travels through them, so eventually the energy and ambient matter that goes back-and-forth through them would cause them to vanish.

But any power that involves the removal of something, like Hunger, or psychic force, like Fear, should work.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

While energy, such as a laser beam, won't disintegrate, it WILL dissipate and become harmless. Magnetism and gravity, being forces rather than matter or energy, should affect him, but I don't think either could be fatal to such a powerful creature. And the Olmak's portals close once something travels through them, so eventually the energy and ambient matter that goes back-and-forth through them would cause them to vanish.

But any power that involves the removal of something, like Hunger, or psychic force, like Fear, should work.

Lasers disperse their light with distance, not time--though it does take time for it to traverse the distance. If I remember my physics classes right, time isn't the determining factor in energy being dispersed, distance and area along with transformation to less useful forms (thermal) are. I could be wrong there, but it seems reasonable to me that a laser beam from, say, a Skakdi should be able to hit Voporak because the field around him doesn't stretch things out over a greater distance, it just speeds up the local time-rate.

Also, I don't think just ambient matter and energy (blowing wind, sunlight) are enough to cause an Olmak Portal to close. On Voya Nui a portal opened by Brutaka simply stayed open until Krahka and the Tahtorak came through from the Field of Shadows. So Voporok could still be forced through an Olmak portal, the problem there is getting him to actually go through without touching him.

• Upvote 2

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

oh!!!! Gorast's Mask of Disruption! If she could possibly get close enough without him noticing, she could activate her mask and make him age himself to death!!! It's brilliant really. :D Use his own powers against him.

Gohrast is dead, and if I remember correctly, The Shadowed One got too close to Voporak and aged 200 years in a second or two.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

It might take years for an Olmak portal to close by ambient processes, but that's no problem for Voporak. And actually a laser would have to work on Voporak, I realized, because if a laser couldn't hit him, light couldn't either, and that would mean looking at him one would only see a black fuzzy cloud.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

oh!!!! Gorast's Mask of Disruption! If she could possibly get close enough without him noticing, she could activate her mask and make him age himself to death!!! It's brilliant really. :D Use his own powers against him.

Gohrast is dead, and if I remember correctly, The Shadowed One got too close to Voporak and aged 200 years in a second or two.

Well, yes Gorast is dead, but I'm saying that using a mask like hers could affect Voporak. :) And the Shadowed One only got aged because Teridax picked him up and threw him at Voporak. He aged because Voporak took the Shadowed One's advance as an attack and activated his "defense aging shield" therefore aging him. He can turn it off or turn it on at will. :)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

i don't think you understand the degree of Voporak's power. as evidenced by the Rahkshi that Makuta sends after him in Time Trap, anything that gets near him starts aging before it even touches him, and ages extremely quickly. you couldn't harm him just by toppling a building on him or cutting him with a weapon - the building, the weapon, and whoever was holding it would all turn to dust before doing any damage.

I assumed that if the Shadowed One (who is partly organic, even) could get close to him/touch him and not be dust in a moment, then a completely inorganic structure like a building or a car or whatever would have the same ability to stay in one piece even if aged a few thousand years. Maybe in real life erosion would remove large parts of a rock in those thousand years, but the time field is not able to suddenly bring in wind and weather. It has to work with what is already in the vicinity of the field, and if that is rock and air, then I doubt the non-windy air would affect the rock all that much by comparison.

A also agree with the other points raised here about lasers etc. They do not dissipate based on time, they dissipate because of the things they bump into on their way through the air. Speeding up their time would make it all happen faster, but this should only cause the laser to reach its destination sooner. Honestly, without having ever cared all that much about Voporak, I was under the impression he was most dangerous to living beings.

Well, yes Gorast is dead, but I'm saying that using a mask like hers could affect Voporak. :) And the Shadowed One only got aged because Teridax picked him up and threw him at Voporak. He aged because Voporak took the Shadowed One's advance as an attack and activated his "defense aging shield" therefore aging him. He can turn it off or turn it on at will. :)

If Voporak has the shield off at any time, then I believe he can be killed by pretty much any sort of quick ambush.
  • Upvote 1

I assumed that if the Shadowed One (who is partly organic, even) could get close to him/touch him and not be dust in a moment, then a completely inorganic structure like a building or a car or whatever would have the same ability to stay in one piece even if aged a few thousand years. Maybe in real life erosion would remove large parts of a rock in those thousand years, but the time field is not able to suddenly bring in wind and weather. It has to work with what is already in the vicinity of the field, and if that is rock and air, then I doubt the non-windy air would affect the rock all that much by comparison.

that's a good point. i'm actually a bit confused at the difference between scenarios here - maybe it was a consistency error on Greg's part? if that's the case, then the Shadowed One scenario is probably more accurate, as it had implications on the future story...you could be right about that building.

maybe it was a consistency error on Greg's part?

Almost certainly; BIONICLE was never the most consistent with how powers can be used. For example, Tahu could slow his own fall by heating the air below him back in '01, and block rocks by applying some fire with a "kra-kamm!" sound effect or similar. Why he needs a Mask of Shielding is beyond me. :lol: Voporak's method of blocking attacks is likely just a case of him needing to block a few blows during fights, and the writer (Greg) using the aging power as the method by which the block succeeds. He could just as easily have written that the attack narrowly missed or something, but since the idea was likely to make Voporak appear extremely dangerous, it makes sense that we'd see weapons turn to dust against him instead.

There is also the possibility that because Voporak did not intend to kill The Shadowed One with his aging power, that his reflexes left the shield on in only a mild fashion. You know how you can turn off an electronic apparatus and then the effect may take a second to completely fade away? Voporak may have turned the aging power on/off by reflex when the Shadowed One impacted him, and that caused TSO to only receive a small dose of aging compared to the much more powerful doses that other targets did because the exposure was so brief.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anything that travels at the speed of light can not experience time. Although real-life physics don't apply in bionicle, the theory of special relativity says that the faster something moves, the slower time passes for them. It also says that if something were to travel at the speed of light, time would stand still for that object. So, things that travel at the speed of light (such as light, electromagnetic fields, and gravitational fields) would be unaffected by the time field. In fact, it would appear as if they are traveling at the same speed even after they pass through the "time field" since the speed of light must remain the same no matter who is observing it.

This is why Umbra, the only character known to travel at the speed of light, would probably be the best character to defeat Voporak, since he would be able to pass through the time field unaffected.

Edited by Toa Of Virtues
  • Upvote 2

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif