Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

#BionicleIsBack Spread the word people!

Not until something official is announced.

I'm with this guy. 

Also, Greg is not entirely responsible for stuff that you don't like in the Bionicle franchise.

He kinda is.

Also, "you" implies that I am the only person who has this opinion, when in fact this is an opinion pretty much everyone on the internet that are not on BZPower agrees with, and that being GregF did an utterly abysmal job.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin
  • Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

Hey, how long ago were BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com taken down? Just so there can be a time frame of when they decided to "possibly-not sure but pretty sure-probably" bring it back?

what do you mean by this?

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I'm with this guy. 

Also, Greg is not entirely responsible for stuff that you don't like in the Bionicle franchise.

He kinda is.

Also, "you" implies that I am the only person who has this opinion, when in fact this is an opinion pretty much everyone on the internet that are not on BZPower agrees with.

"You" is the normal way to refer to the opinions of others. Fishers isn't specifically targeting you at all; you're personalizing something which doesn't specifically have to do with you.

could someone give me a link to the topic on legos website about bionicle not coming back?

I'm pretty sure that it was a general notice, not a topic on the LMBs. It wouldn't be possible to link to if its been taken down.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Hey, how long ago were BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com taken down? Just so there can be a time frame of when they decided to "possibly-not sure but pretty sure-probably" bring it back?

I mean, they wouldn't have taken them down without intention of bringing it back. When they took them down, they still weren't bringing it back at that point. So somewhere between now and then Lego decided to bring BIONICLE back. I would like to know when they were taken down so we at least have a time frame of when they decided to bring it back so we can look for clues in that time frame for its eventual return.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I'm with this guy. 

He kinda is.

Also, "you" implies that I am the only person who has this opinion, when in fact this is an opinion pretty much everyone on the internet that are not on BZPower agrees with, and that being GregF did an utterly abysmal job.

That's kind of funny since I hardly ever hear people whining about Greg's writing on the other LEGO forums I use. It's mostly on BZPower that I seem to see people seem to give him a "historical villain upgrade".

His writing for many of the early comics was pretty good, in my opinion, other than the never-resolved cliffhanger in comic #2. I still get chills when re-reading some of those comics. This comic is a good example. The books also tended to be pretty good as far as merchandise-driven chapter books are concerned. I loved BIONICLE Adventures #3 and BIONICLE Legends #7.

But for some reason people only remember him for plot holes, poor characterization, and fanservice that was generally relegated to the serials and other online-exclusive stories released in the later years (as well as his somewhat clumsy attempt to explain just why Makuta was never defeated for good, something that wasn't entirely his fault since Makuta was central to BIONICLE's original concept from the beginning).

Furthermore, nobody ever seems to read Greg Farshtey's books from other LEGO themes, which prove he's not nearly such a one-note author as people seem to expect of him. He can write humor that far exceeds anything his BIONICLE books ever offered, and he can write lighthearted and heartwarming adventure stories just as easily as he can write grim, serious, melodramatic ones. I encourage people to read some of his Ninjago chapter books or Chima storybooks to get a feel for his versatility as a writer. Frustratingly, some people read these stories and assume that the differences are because "his heart's not in it", rather than because he knows how to write a story that isn't wrapped up in all of BIONICLE's pretensions.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 3

I might be a bit off with the dates, but I think that both were taken down in the first week of August last year.

He kinda is.

That's kind of funny since I hardly ever hear people whining about Greg's writing on the other LEGO forums I use. It's mostly on BZPower that I seem to see people seem to give him a "historical villain upgrade".

His writing for many of the early comics was pretty good, in my opinion, other than the never-resolved cliffhanger in comic #2. I still get chills when re-reading some of those comics. This comic is a good example. The books also tended to be pretty good as far as merchandise-driven chapter books are concerned. I loved BIONICLE Adventures #3 and BIONICLE Legends #7.

But for some reason people only remember him for plot holes, poor characterization, and fanservice that was generally relegated to the serials and other online-exclusive stories released in the later years (as well as his somewhat clumsy attempt to explain just why Makuta was never defeated for good, something that wasn't entirely his fault since Makuta was central to BIONICLE's original concept from the beginning).

I would say that all of the media in the years that we spent on Mata Nui was extremely well written, whether it was the comics, the MNOLG, or anything else. Greg definitely had a massive part in making those years amazing, but a lot of the credit should go to the writers of the MNOLG at Templar, IMO. Continuing into the later years, none of the films or any of the story driven games were written by him. It's worth noting that Greg wrote the comics every year, and yet the later years of the series are rarely as lauded as the first three years were; the general mood of the story that Greg was working in, which was often determined by others, seemed to have a large effect on the style and arguably, the quality, of his writing.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I mean, they wouldn't have taken them down without intention of bringing it back. When they took them down, they still weren't bringing it back at that point. So somewhere between now and then Lego decided to bring BIONICLE back. I would like to know when they were taken down so we at least have a time frame of when they decided to bring it back so we can look for clues in that time frame for its eventual return.

According to this post, it was shut down on July 3, 2013. So approximately one year ago. 

Also, it's possible that they scrapped the old site in order to prepare for the release of the reboot - getting the old site off the Internet could have been part of the plan to re-release it (if they were going to :P) with a new upgraded site. :shrugs: It's not a definitive time slot.

According to this post, it was shut down on July 3, 2013. So approximately one year ago. 

Also, it's possible that they scrapped the old site in order to prepare for the release of the reboot - getting the old site off the Internet could have been part of the plan to re-release it (if they were going to :P) with a new upgraded site. :shrugs: It's not a definitive time slot.

That's kinda what I'm thinking with it. Also, they've had other theme sites up for long after they've died before. They would pretty much only take down the sites once everyone forgot they existed, or something like that.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

also greg wrote time trap

As beloved as Time Trap is by certain fans, it's also a big part of why Greg is often criticized as a writer, and Makuta as a character. It was where he attempted to explain the way Makuta kept coming back after every defeat, saying that even his defeats were factors in his greater plan. On one hand, I do feel that the story did need some kind of explanation — every time Makuta reappeared in a new story year, I couldn't help thinking, "Him again? Can't we get a new villain?"

Obviously, once Christian Faber's original vision for the storyline became clear, it also became clear why the story team wanted to keep Makuta in the storyline — he was the virus the Toa were sent in their pill-like capsules to eradicate. But before that, it just seemed problematic. I think a lot of people felt sort of the same way, which is why Time Trap was welcomed by so many people. Still, it was not a perfect solution, and when he seemed to be defeated again and again only to come back with the upper hand, people inevitably became fatigued of a villain who always had all the answers.

Ninjago's Overlord is a somewhat more poetic villain because his reappearance is explained differently — he is the darkness that exists to balance out all the light in the world, and so the cosmic balance demands that he can never be destroyed for good. Furthermore, not every threat to Ninjago is directly his fault. He created the Great Devourer (if the graphic novels are to be believed), which in turn gave rise to the Serpentine and turned Garmadon into the villain he became. But the Overlord was not directly pulling the strings during the invasions of the Skulkins or the Serpentine — he was just sowing seeds of darkness that might one day tip the cosmic balance back in darkness's favor. There was no reveal that it was him all along, unlike with, say, the Bahrag, whose supposed illusion powers were revealed to be Makuta's doing in BIONICLE Chronicles #4, and whose awakening was revealed to be his deliberate doing rather than just an accidental consequence of his defeat in the Mangaia.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

the_helix_speaks.jpg

Hahaha. But honestly, I think there is serious credence to this possible return, but I still think its best for everyone to just stay skeptical until it is either confirmed/unconfirmed. It will be a pleasant surprise if it does come back though!

-Star

• Upvote 6

Solaris Magnus. Formerly Starparu. 

That's kinda what I'm thinking with it. Also, they've had other theme sites up for long after they've died before. They would pretty much only take down the sites once everyone forgot they existed, or something like that.

Maybe Lego was convinced that most people had completely forgotten Bionicle by the time that they took down the websites last year. Obviously, we haven't forgotten about it on this site, but we're a really tiny minority of all the folks that had heard of Bionicle during it's original ten year run. For years, I was a devoted fan of Bionicle; yet, when the line ended, I stayed a fan for about a year before forgetting about it, pretty much completely for more than two years. Until I rediscovered BZPower, I hadn't even thought of the line in a long time. The average casual fan had almost certainly forgotten about Bionicle after it had been absent from shelves for more than three years.

AAZZ.jpg

Greg made binoicle what it was.

Exactly why we should never bring him back.

Ha! The only reason Bionicle's story was interesting after 2003 was because of Greg's writing the books and web serials. Considering he's been writing for the series for over a decade, it might be a smart idea to bring him back so that they can attract older fans with his story input.

[discussion of alleged leaks removed]

Note: Was attempting to quote content of Zenerius's post prior to edit by staff. Is not discussing the alleged leaks.

You might want to add that Lego has removed the notice on the LMBs that Bionicle will not be returning, within a few days of the leaks.

Well, I guess that you can't have that list up here. Oh well.

Please ignore this post, everyone.

AAZZ.jpg

Keep in mind that it would not be good for everyone to forget about BIONICLE. Specifically, it benefits the LEGO Group if retailers still remember it, since it was such a huge success during a time when the LEGO Group did not have a whole lot of other successes.

And as for fans, BIONICLE would only be known second-hand by the youngest constraction fans (generally, six years old). A fourteen-year-old fan would have grown up during BIONICLE's run but would not have been old enough to play with it until well after its peak years (they would have been just two years old in 2002 when its sales were at their highest point, and would not have been old enough to meet the recommended age range until 2006 or 2007).

Just a piece of info regarding their story direction for the reboot of Bionicle-

The story could very well be intended for a slightly older audience. Since the older children/teenagers will be interested in the theme, then the younger children will want to be a part of it. This means that instead of going the more childish approach that Hero Factory had, the new Bionicle could be more similar to the original in terms of maturity. However, it won't work the other way around.

Heard this from Farshtey himself.

Or, on the other hand-

It would be interesting to see two different constraction themes run side by side, both focusing on a different demographic. Maybe Lego will run the new theme (presumably Bionicle) alongside with Hero Factory and see how they do, and if their sales don't cannibalize maybe they could keep both running together at the same time.

Edited by Zenerius

Just a piece of info regarding their story direction for the reboot of Bionicle-

The story could very well be intended for a slightly older audience. Since the older children/teenagers will be interested in the theme, then the younger children will want to be a part of it. This means that instead of going the more childish approach that Hero Factory had, the new Bionicle could be more similar to the original in terms of maturity. However, it won't work the other way around.

Or, on the other hand-

It would be interesting to see two different constraction themes run side by side, both focusing on a different demographic. Maybe Lego will run the new theme (presumably Bionicle) alongside with Hero Factory and see how they do, and if their sales don't cannibalize maybe they could keep both running together at the same time.

I find this highly unlikely. I don't thik LEGO has the money to run 2 constraction themes at the same time. Besides, if one makes more success than the other, one of them will begin to suffer with low sales.

Or, on the other hand-

When and where did Greg say this?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Or, on the other hand-

When and where did Greg say this?

At one point in TheThreeVirtues interview with Greg. I'll link it here.

Or, on the other hand-

I find this highly unlikely. I don't thik LEGO has the money to run 2 constraction themes at the same time. Besides, if one makes more success than the other, one of them will begin to suffer with low sales.

Lego has always wished to have multiple constraction themes running at the same time. And, like I said, if one theme turns unsuccessful, then they could cancel it if it gets too out of hand.

Edited by Zenerius

Or, on the other hand-

LEGO has run two constraction themes at the same time many times in the past when they had even less money than they do now:
  • BIONICLE and Galidor (2002)
  • BIONICLE and Knights' Kingdom II (2004–2006)
  • BIONICLE and Ben 10: Alien Force (2010)
  • Hero Factory and Super Heroes (2012)
  • Hero Factory and Legends of Chima (2013–2014)
It's true that many of the secondary constraction themes the LEGO Group runs are offshoots of existing themes, and that they're generally very different than one another in terms of content (with one, either BIONICLE or Hero Factory, focusing on robot-like characters, and the other focusing on organic human, animal, or alien characters). However, the LEGO Group has stated multiple times that it is a goal of theirs to run multiple constraction themes side-by-side, and with their business booming like it is currently, they're more equipped to do it now than ever before.

I do not, however, think that BIONICLE and Hero Factory would coexist in the long term. There might be a year of overlap at best, and even that's being optimistic. It would be very easy for the similarities to confuse buyers and it might result in one theme cannibalizing the other's sales. Furthermore, I feel like the effect of demographic differences would be negligible. BIONICLE and Hero Factory might have targeted slightly different audiences in terms of story, but the sets have always been aimed at nearly the same age range. I do not expect that to change with the new constraction theme — not when the LEGO Group has had fifteen years to learn the buying habits of constraction fans and has scarcely changed their strategy one bit in that time.

• Upvote 1

It should be noted, though, that HF has been drifting slightly more towards a fusion of System and constraction recently. It's possible that this will continue and we'll end up with HF being more like the Bionicle playsets (which I think would actually be fairly cool).

Just a thought.

• Upvote 3
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

It should be noted, though, that HF has been drifting slightly more towards a fusion of System and constraction recently. It's possible that this will continue and we'll end up with HF being more like the Bionicle playsets (which I think would actually be fairly cool).

Just a thought.

Now that might work. Having Bionicle with the main Constraction theme while Hero Factory remains primarily system with the occasional constraction crossover.

Edited by Zenerius

Just a thought.

Very good point.

There should be enough references to the old story to make sure it's not completely forgotten, and to excite some old fans, but a story arc should never depend on a point made five or more years ago, because, once again, new fans should not have to slog through nine years of story just to understand what's happening.

This is exactly what I would like to see. Having someone like Tahu saying: "This is worse than that one time we had to fight Bohrok."

Simple stuff like that. Enough to excite the "old-timers" but not enough to confuse the new fans.

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

There should be enough references to the old story to make sure it's not completely forgotten, and to excite some old fans, but a story arc should never depend on a point made five or more years ago, because, once again, new fans should not have to slog through nine years of story just to understand what's happening.

This is exactly what I would like to see. Having someone like Tahu saying: "This is worse than that one time we had to fight Bohrok."

Simple stuff like that. Enough to excite the "old-timers" but not enough to confuse the new fans.

I think that would confuse new fans because they won't have the faintest clue what Bohrok are.

I think that would confuse new fans because they won't have the faintest clue what Bohrok are.

Well it could be used as mere expository technobabble. Most people watching Star Wars for the first time don't know what the Kessel Run is (and not even the writers knew what a parsec was), but they all got the gist of the comment — making the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs is supposed to be a pretty impressive feat for a galactic smuggler. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 4

Well it could be used as mere expository technobabble. Most people watching Star Wars for the first time don't know what the Kessel Run is (and not even the writers knew what a parsec was), but they all got the gist of the comment — making the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs is supposed to be a pretty impressive feat for a galactic smuggler.

I was kind of thinking along the lines of that. You would understand the gist of it if you were new, but only the older fans would know the actual words I suppose.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

MURICA

Edited by Matoro_Lives
  • Upvote 1

POWER TO THE FANS

LETS TAKE BACK BZP FROM THE HERO FACTORY FANBOYS

STOP THIS POINTLESS CENSORSHIP AND SHEATHE THE BAN HAMMERS

BRING BACK THE FRIENDLY AND INFORMATIVE BZP

SUPPORT TTV AND GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN

At least tell us were we can see it without linking it.

It's nothing new. People have been rambling about it since it first surfaced 3 days ago.

Let's hope the new Bionicle is what we've been hoping for. If there are collectables, I'm in.

Edited by Zenerius

IM IN FOR SOME

It's nothing new. People have been rambling about it since it first surfaced 3 days ago.

Let's hope the new Bionicle is what we've been hoping for. If there are collectables, I'm in.

IM IN FOR SOME KAHNOI COLLECTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAHNOI COLLECTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM IN FOR SOME

IM IN FOR SOME KAHNOI COLLECTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAHNOI COLLECTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is some Kanohi collecting involved, it would be so fantastic..... There could be, actually, since this very well might be a reboot.

All right everyone, listen up

My warnings have been mostly ignored up to this point so let's make it a little clearer to understand.

If the leaks are real - Then we shouldn't be discussing them until Lego has officially released information. Then you can chatter until the cows come home. This has always been a rule. This goes for the Blogs, too.

If the leaks are fake -  Then we don't have anything further to discuss.

I'm going to start deleting posts if I have to. Put your anticipation on hold until more information comes to light so I don't have to break up any verbal fisticuffs, all right?

You may now continue to silently curse me behind my back for ruining the fun.

Reblogging posting this for the page 7 crowd. BZPower's policy on leaked or supposedly leaked content allows us to receive continued support from LEGO, so please follow it.

• Upvote 3

All right everyone, listen up

My warnings have been mostly ignored up to this point so let's make it a little clearer to understand.

If the leaks are real - Then we shouldn't be discussing them until Lego has officially released information. Then you can chatter until the cows come home. This has always been a rule. This goes for the Blogs, too.

If the leaks are fake -  Then we don't have anything further to discuss.

I'm going to start deleting posts if I have to. Put your anticipation on hold until more information comes to light so I don't have to break up any verbal fisticuffs, all right?

You may now continue to silently curse me behind my back for ruining the fun.

Reblogging posting this for the page 7 crowd. BZPower's policy on leaked or supposedly leaked content allows us to receive continued support from LEGO, so please follow it.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAA TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

• Upvote 2