Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOC: Oh, they're Syrrinx. What else should I expect them to amount to but extremely skilled warriors with no concept of honor?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Genetically modified to the point of barely resembling a true Syrrinx. Also, a very strange set of morals.Not even highly skilled; the whole Syrrinx species has little experience with ground warfare lately. They have high stats but low skills.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Ah. Whereas Diemawr warriors fight for sport, have high physical strength, and wear a freaking mechanical exoskeleton into battle.Unless the Syrrinx fighters have a fondness for the taste of lead, they maybe aren't going to enjoy this very much.'Course, since the little bomb they've set up is alien tech, this particular group of warriors is dead anyway. Good thing the Diemawr don't like putting aliens in major cities, I suppose.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Immortality has that sort of effect on a species, I guess.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Immortality how? Just don't die of old age, or something else?If they just don't die of old age, then that means they've got telomerase in their cells without any of the other stuff usually associated with cancer, which is... interesting. If it's full-on immortality, then I just hope they can feel pain.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Brain uploading, constant body replacement. You kill the body, they just come back with their consciousness transferred to a clone body, like Seela did in IL, twice.Strangely, I came up with this before getting into EVE, and EVE has the exact same thing...

-Rover

OOC: Ohoho, excellent. So those who fight the Diemawr and die doing so will be able to return home and tell people that maybe they should train their ground troops a bit more.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Well the Syrrinx are going to learn that in their first engagement no matter what.Assuming you guys don't just blast their planets from orbit...

-Rover

OOC: Oh, that just reminded me of something. Remember the whole "4 lasers isn't much of an alpha-strike" thing? Well... See, thing is, each of those four lasers is a Medium weapon, which means it's objectively a very powerful laser on its own. Concentrate fire from four of them, and that Starbase should be showing signs of damage from the initial volley, never mind that the whole point of the Llygad-o-Dan is that it can support a high rate of fire.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I've envisioned the power of a Medium weapon being "One ruins a small ship's day, is bad news for a Medium, damages a Large, is shrugged off by a Starbase"Basically the idea is that a starbase is so massive it's obscenely tough.

-Rover

OOC: Right, so what number of shots from four medium weapons is required before a Starbase has to care? Or do they just always never work?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Um, well, it depends on the weapon, really. More than four. Six or seven or so.Keep in mind, since your guns are capable of either rapid or constant-beam fire(not sure which) and hit instantly and have near perfect accuracy, and need no ammo, they'll do much lower damage than a similarly sized weapon of another type.

-Rover

OOC: Well, they don't hit instantly. Light can't go faster than light-speed.And I think it's a bit odd that you are deciding the specifications of my weapons. You can put a fair bit of energy into a laser without having to increase the size of it, so I think it's a bit silly that their relative accuracy and speed would have any effect on their power.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Seriously guys, I only have one protestNot every race will see an unprovoked attack as a bad thing. The Syrrinx don't; they simply don't have an idea of provocation; if you can get an advantage from it, you attack. I just wish someone was playing the same way. "Unprovoked" doesn't have to equal "immoral" for everyone just because it does for humans. It also makes things incredibly boring when no one wants to be the bad guy.

No, not every race, just the ones you're allied with :PWhile this is the kind of style I'll be using when the next iteration rolls round, I prefer more subtle less heavy-handed measures for the Alizarin

There's a simple way to defeat the electronic desably bits. Two that I can think of offhand, actually.

Is one of those ways 'blow up their ship before it can disable us' by any chance? :D

Still, I'm waiting for Power. S'pose we could go through the motions of the fight on Goron-Trysor, but Idunno. Three companies of exoskeleton-wearing Diemawr against what basically amounts to diplomatic security guards...

Yeah, sorry about that, time-zones and all. I never usually stay up much past 1:30 even at my most insomnious

IC [Location: 1-40. Identity: Head Admiral]"Sir, the Syrrinx ships have retreated." The lieutenant rapidly went over his panel. "Fleet reports sixteen dead, five wounded; all ships survived, though many are in need of repairs. Orders?""Fall back to New Llef; we'll make our repairs there and regroup." The Admiral opened a beam to the Alizarin ships present. "Please inform your government that in light of current events we would like to renegotiate our peace treaty, as well as inform you that the TAP fleet will be regrouping before launching the assault on the Syrrinx."An explosion rocked the ship, the Admiral cursing something."And get us out of here! This place is a death trap."OOCTAP fleet warped to 1-39. Repairs beginning, to be completed tomorrow. Protector class starbase begun in orbit of 1-40.

IC(1-40): "Received and understood. Ambassadors will be waiting for you when all this is over," replied the Alizarin, "We hope you were not too badly hit by their opening salvo. We will fall back and chase them back to their planets. Be well."Gathering together the Alizarin fleet warped back to 2-5. Where the Syrrinx were not just waiting, but asking for help. Well, that was interesting. Apparently they hadn't noticed the Alizarin ships in Natsirt space, or assumed they were there as friends."Our navy has just arrived here after answering your summons for the invasion," the Chief Navigator on the Halfway to Never answered, thinking quickly, "We will need time to recharge our warp drives before making any further journeys. If you are under the attack from the Diemawr, we suggest you disperse to those places in need. We will follow behind you."They were trying to get the large Syrrinx fleet to split up. If they could separate the Dragon and Kraken from the smaller ships they would be more vulnerable to small ships and fighters, much easier to disable and take down. And if that didn't work, well, the Carnelian's Ion Storm superweapon was still charging. It could bring down one of the large ships, though it would mean full-fledged battle over their own homeworld

IC: The Tsui'nau Admiral paused, transmitting the conversation to the Grand Proctor for instructions.What do you have in mind? he asked the Alizarin.

IC: "The Syrrinx have made it clear they will not hesitate to attack if it means gain, no matter how small. So we must prevent them expanding further. We must attack their home turf, bring down their ships, starbases, shipyards, everything. The Diemawr are already with us on this, and from our reports have already begun attacking. Our own fleet will soon be joining combat, it is chasing the Syrrinx from 1-40. With the three of us together we can put these mad dogs down."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: Oh, lovely. Sending the Syrrinx fleet back to the places I'm attacking. Nice way to get the Diemawr fleet cut up.Well, dignity in death, I suppose.IC(2-7): The larger of the Diemawr fleets, with no pestilential Dragon to harass them, was able to cut the enemy missiles out of the sky with little trouble, and, with the four Marwolaeth lashing out again and again at the Starbase with their lasers while the two Marwolaeth Mawr put theirs to work providing point-defense against the oncoming missiles. The primary objective over Lianka was to eliminate the Starbase - after that, the ships could move on and be put to work cutting apart other parts of the enemy's defenses. This fleet was, as yet, unaware of the precise nature of the Alizarin ploy against the Syrrinx, and therefore could not know that Syrrinx reinforcements were likely to come after them before they could finish the job.IC(2-14): Meanwhile, with no suitable targets in this system, the Dugrhyfel moved on to 2-15, and once again cruised in towards the planet, sensors hard at work searching for something to fire upon.IC(2-9): With the sudden appearance of the Dragon, the Marwolaeth scattered, lasers firing rapidly to ward off the enemy missiles. Three of their number were not so lucky, however, and with the temporary sensor malfunction before the computer could adjust to compensate for the crude jamming of their sensors, they found themselves flying directly into the flames of the Dragon's breath. The remaining five ships scattered through the outer solar system, keen on putting as much distance between themselves and the Dragon as possible.OOC: I'll say five minutes have passed in-game for the 2-9 and 2-7 forces. Time passing fairly normally for the Dugrhyfel, because it was not involved in any fighting.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Well, I've got two medium ships and four smalls in the area they'd be heading for, and they're preoccupied taking on the Starbase because apparently fast, accurate weapons have about as much punch as a limbless baby.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Construction of Colonizer halted, two days to completion. Drydocked.The Scylla and Riptide Group are temporarily ungrounded.Fleet consisting of1 Archaeteuthidae-Class Dreadnought, the Poseidon2 Teuthis-Class Battlecruisers, the Leviathan and the Kraken1 Brachyura Class Batteship, the Revenant2 Flights(4) of Caridea-Class Corvettes, Saber Group and Spectre Group2 Flights(4) of Scyphozoa-Class Interceptors, Tsunami Group and Typhoon GroupNeed help, Rover? :P

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: Need? Maybe. Would I appreciate help? Certainly, I've no interest in rebuilding my fleet, and subjecting the Syrrinx to a battle against overwhelming odds is the only way to make sure I won't have to.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC [Location: New Llaf. Identity: Head Admiral]The Imperium reinforcements had obviously arrived, though not in time for the party. As directed they too jumped to 1-39, joining up with the rather large strike force present. The repairs had gone well, and would be able to launch a massive counter strike. Over New Llor missiles and railgun rounds alike flew past the planet, a few hitting the atmosphere and burning, others crashing into the oceans. It would cause tidal disturbances for some time, but nothing that would impact the colony.All the while the Head Admiral met with the admirals the TAP had sent, discussing the war plans. It was rather simple; they would jump through Alizarin space, directly into Syrrinx space. From there they stay as one fleet, moving from world to world and destroying whatever orbital placements there were.OOCSo, using Xom's medium weapon scale, this should be what happens;Small: Seriously wounds a small, damages a medium, is shrugged off by larges and starbasesMedium: Destroys a small, seriously wounds a medium, damages a large and is shrugged off by a starbaseLarge: Destroys a small, destroys a medium, seriously wounds a large and damages a starbase.Superweapon: Destroys all.Also, Xom? You whining about all of us assaulting you is kinda poetic justice; you made a deal with the TAP saying you'd destroy a Pact member, and then you turned around and invaded me. None of the Pact members -accept ToA and Necro; dunno what they said- actually outright broke a deal; they politicked their way around it. Thus, while you outright broke your deal everyone else is just weaseling around it. In character you're too much of a threat to keep alive; you have the largest military slot-wise of the entire bloody game. We need to take you out to ensure you can't invade, say, Alizarin space just like you did mine.And if your feel is that war will never start, keep in mind that space will eventually become contested, and the industry cap will be imposed. Sector 2 is about to have only four inhabitants. When both the Pact and the TAP use up all the space in their respective four sectors, when the industry equals itself out, there will be war have no doubt. There will indeed be war.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Well, yes, of course there will be war then. In the meantime, I'm still saying half of Xom's systems are too rigid and table-toppy.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCWell, I can understand why it's so rigid; while if you take long hard looks at it the rules start to crumble, if we don't have them then we end up like IL, where we have thousands upon thousands of ships and a bazillion stardocks pumping out more.I do agree though that the weapons thing are too strict though; a medium laser and a medium railgun are going do two completely different things. Or once you get into more exotic weaponry it blurs the line even more.

Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: [28-3, Abjiost. Fleet Shipyard]The ship was glorious, sailing out of the light blue atmosphere across majestic streams of turbulence and potential breath. It was an ark that would carry the Lopec into a new era, expanding the Five Stars into Six. In the future, yet more would be built, and so the dots of the race across the void would grow in density and concentration until the galaxy was a sea of deep dark blue.It was entirely unarmed, of course. There were none to attack it: no other race save the Lopec dwelled these stars, and there was no reason to comprehend that any Lopec would attack another of their race.Of course, such optimism soon revealed itself to be a false assumption.The Jihek assault frigate appeared out of nowhere, warping in with a flash that transcended light. Like an electron it orbited its target, the nucleus that was the Colonizer Ship. Once at its underside, the Jihek fired a round of opalescent cyan shots that cut the docking doors in two.The vacuum greeted those who happened to be in there, accepting their lives as payment for their breath.The Jihek pushed itself into the bay, right before blast doors slammed shut the vacuum's transaction. It extended legs, lowered itself, and was silent. Ramps fell outwards, and dozens of soldiers streamed out of it.Through a series of turns and twists, they made it to the bridge. All was silent as the crew held their opposadendrites outstretched, until a figure pushed itself out of the croud of soldiers."I am Scholar of Mind Hokenj. We lay claim to this ship in the name of the Third Star, Homsej."

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

IC [General]In Imperium space, a clerical error had taken place and dozens of files regarding the status of planetary development had been misplaced. Needless to say this development continued nonetheless, but until the clerks could get around to finding the said files there would be no ship production.OOCBlah, digging through Lloyd's posts is a pain.EDIT:And now I have his stuff. Most of it at least.IC [General]After much, much, work, the clerks of the Imperium had found the planetary status reports, and now were busy finding the construction reports for the last month.OOCLloyd Planetary Status Report:Baross: Homeworld.Ithaka: Forge World, upgrade Dec. 15thGallia: Forge World, upgrade Dec. 15thMasada: Core World, upgrade Dec. 18thDamascus: Outer world, upgrade Dec. 10th.Phonecia: Protectorate, upgrade Dec. 9thNow it's just to get all his constructions afterwards complied and I can start effectively using his civilization until he returns.

voidstars.png

OOC: I'm honestly not surprised that we went from the looseness of IL to the rigidity of this. It's a work in progress - IL Mk. 2, if you will. Mk. 3 should be the point where we find a happy medium, with rules that are tough enough to prevent the stupid things we did in IL, but elastic enough that they don't crumble in odd situations.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Pure game balance, Rover; a Laser has all sorts of advantages over a Railgun, so it will naturally have decreased damage or some other limitation. Taking EVE Online as an example, as I do constantly, the Lasers in that game are actually sort of the middle range weapon(less than railguns or artillery, more than autocannons) but they have unlimited ammo, can swap ammo types instantly vs. a ten second reload for other races, and are better at targeting smaller ships, but they of course do less damage than other guns.IC:The Syrrinx Fleet had disappeared from 2-5 not long after cutting all their communications. They reappeared roughly two light-hours away from the star of 2-6, and this time made no broadcasts at all. The Admiral was following standard protocols, long-reaction jumps.

-Rover

OOC: Herpderp

-Rover

IC [Location: Citamgine. Identity: General]All while research and experimentation continued on jump gate technology, military scientists were devoted to researching new fields; the central military command had decided that kinetic weaponry, while it would remain the primary choice for the fleet, was too inflexible. They were given the tasks of researching the weaponization of jump technology, further research into laser weaponry, and the applications of using antimatter charges to allow instant energy for railguns. As well, civilian tug craft were sent into the Citamgine system's asteroid belt to begin collecting asteroids, for a new weapon that was being planned.Meanwhile, the TAP fleet was nearly complete; as soon as the Imperium had finished solving their clerical error they had promised more ships for the front lines. Additional Kalarii ships were called up, and the fleet that was forming would be a fleet unlike any the galaxy had seen thus far.

voidstars.png

OOC: The problem I have with that is that you're mandating that it's less damage, and not "some other limitation." Off the top of my head, it's pretty obvious that lasers would have issues with overheating - in the vacuum of space, heat dissipation is a big problem, so sustained firing of lasers could end up cooking the ship, and would certainly make it easy to spot on infrared scans, so, whereas railguns that are medium weapons or smaller could shoot until they run out of ammo, the laser could fire for maybe two or three posts and then have to go through a cooling cycle.For example, if we go with that, my ships attacking your planets are going to be doing less gunning and more running in the next post for that fight.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCI personally suggest a healthy diet of railguns, lasers, microjump capable missiles and a few small but deadly coilgun machine guns.Gives you a wide assortment of things to do when your lasers are cooling.

voidstars.png

IC: The Alizarin sent a message to the Syrrinx, "If you expect us to help you, it would be common sense to tell us where to help. We know not where you are going, or where we are supposed to go."If this failed to draw out the Syrrinx, they'd move on to one of their planets, coordinate their efforts with the Diemawr and, hopefully by now, the Treanuans. The Syrrinx could not ignore bombardment of their planets, it would force them into a combat situation, one they could not win. The Alizarin had considered the Syrrinx might try a hostage tactic, moving over one of their "enemy's" planets and threatening to bombard it if they were not left alone, but as that would only occupy one of the attacking races, leaving the others free to take the Syrrinx worlds, it would be a futile gesture

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: Well, I suppose you could adjust the power you're pumping into your lasers, and even do one or the other.Do lasers work like that or is it a fixed wattage?IC:"Our forces will handle defense; perhaps your forces would best stage a counterattack against their systems?"A message was also sent to the other celaphod like race in the cluster, informing them of the situation and requesting a counterattack on Diemawr space.

-Rover

IC:"Cut that com, now!" The Commander who had been speaking shouted to a lieutenant. "I don't know whether the Alizarin are sincere, but even they know they'd have little chance of being challenged just by being far away in system. Too suspicious." The Commander wouldn't have normally done this, but after their closest ally betraying them, he was understandably nervous, even seeing evidence where it wasn't there.

-Rover

OOCThe stuff I'm thinking up right now... looks like the Mark III ship classes will be coming soon enough.Ok, FINALLY got through Lloyd's posts. Harder than it sounds. He said something about ground defenses being built on all words except Baross (it's building a large) so I'mma assume it was the system upgrade; it'll finish on the tenth anyways and there's no IP drain so if I'm wrong, well, it's a bonus for him. His holdings are as follows;-1 Large (Infinitus) 3 IP-1 Large (Invictus) 3 IP, ETA Dec. 10th.-4 Medium (2 Sicarii, 2 Praetorians) 4 IP-8 Small (6 Praesidii, 2 EWACS) 2 IPA somewhat puny fleet but he does have... quite some IP available, four to be exact. Gives him enough leg room to constantly be putting out a colonizer. His instructions said to colonize and prepare for war, so that I shall.IC [General]The Imperium, having solved it's clerk crisis, went hard to work back to their current goals. While all their worlds were tied up in ground fortifications plans were made; plans to begin expanding once more and to begin building a fleet to match their allies.

voidstars.png