How tall are (various) Bionicle supposed to be?

Krisha

Generall, the sets are pretty much to scale, except I'd moderate Toa around to roughly Toa Metru sized. The Piraka Should look pretty beefy next to the Toa Inika, who shouldn't tower over the Toa Nuva the way they do, but other than that, there's no reason to think the sets aren't to scale unless stated otherwise.

Zivon and Tahtorak are giants, more to scale with the Playsets.

Edited by Takhamavahu

I'm pretty shore Fenrakk is supposed to be bigger cause in BIONICLE Heroes, he's huge. Plus, compare Fenrakk to Vezon in the set and the game and you'll see a difference.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Toa are all about 6-7 foot tall. Matoran I think are half that, and turaga somewhere in between, even hunched as they are. Skakdi, Ehlek's species and most titans are the same height as a Toa or a little bigger. Keetongu is head-and-shoulders taller than Toa, and more muscled. Consider him a gorilla to a Toa's human.

Kardas is *bleeping* massive, even by Rahi standards. It's as big as it looks compared to matoran, perhaps larger. Tahtorak and Krahka can match him, but like Makuta, Krahka is a shapeshifter and so could be any height she wanted to be.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Toa are all about 6-7 foot tall. Matoran I think are half that, and turaga somewhere in between, even hunched as they are. Skakdi, Ehlek's species and most titans are the same height as a Toa or a little bigger.

I like to think that Toa range in height from 6 to 8 feet, with most around 7. I seem to recall Greg stating that Matoran are 5 feet tall, but that seems a bit too big, looking at either the sets or the movies. 5 feet seems more appropriate for a Turaga; I'd presume that Matoran are generally around 4 feet.

Keetongu is head-and-shoulders taller than Toa, and more muscled. Consider him a gorilla to a Toa's human.

That's true for the set, but the Keetongu set is also shorter than those of Roodaka and Sidorak, who are both head-and-shoulders taller than Toa (about 9 feet, I'd guess) but WoS depicts Keetongu as being nearly twice Sidorak's height. Based on that I'd estimate that Keetongu would be about 15 feet tall, and that's a conservative guess.

Kardas is *bleeping* massive, even by Rahi standards. It's as big as it looks compared to matoran, perhaps larger. Tahtorak and Krahka can match him, but like Makuta, Krahka is a shapeshifter and so could be any height she wanted to be.

Kardas is as big as his set looks, true, but he's still diminutive compared to the Tahtorak, who is confirmed in the books -- Adventures #8 IIRC -- to be 40 feet tall at the shoulder (more potential evidence that Keetongu is significantly larger than the set suggests; Keetongu's species used to use the Tahtorahk species as mounts, which would be potentially difficult if they are only 9 feet tall). The Zivon is probably about the same size, but I think even they are slightly smaller than the Kanohi Dragon.

Shouldn't the sets be the official scale, since Bionicle is a toyline before anything else? Other medias could be artistic liscences, cause there are multiple instances where the characters look nothing like they should in the comics. And Bionicle Heroes has a bunch of random stuff added just to make it more playable as a game.

Perhaps they should be, but that would mean that every wave of Toa sets would be literally taller than their preddecessors (on average}. In-universe, all Toa are close to the same height. And that's just one example.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Toa are all about 6-7 foot tall. Matoran I think are half that, and turaga somewhere in between, even hunched as they are. Skakdi, Ehlek's species and most titans are the same height as a Toa or a little bigger.

I like to think that Toa range in height from 6 to 8 feet, with most around 7. I seem to recall Greg stating that Matoran are 5 feet tall, but that seems a bit too big, looking at either the sets or the movies. 5 feet seems more appropriate for a Turaga; I'd presume that Matoran are generally around 4 feet.

Keetongu is head-and-shoulders taller than Toa, and more muscled. Consider him a gorilla to a Toa's human.

That's true for the set, but the Keetongu set is also shorter than those of Roodaka and Sidorak, who are both head-and-shoulders taller than Toa (about 9 feet, I'd guess) but WoS depicts Keetongu as being nearly twice Sidorak's height. Based on that I'd estimate that Keetongu would be about 15 feet tall, and that's a conservative guess.

Correct about the Matoran height--4 feet is more appropriate.

Wrong about Keetongu being twice Sidorak's height. Look at how tall Sidorak is when walking next to Vakama, and compare the end shot of Keetongu with all the Toa later on. There's very little difference in height. The only scene in which Keetongu and Sidorak were together had Sidorak slightly hunched over, and Keetongu standing on the lip of the crater he'd just made in the floor of the Colliseum. Besides, Keetongu raised his hands over Sidorak's head, and Sidorak would have been looking up at those.

Looking up at hands+hunched over+Keetongu standing on the raised edge of the crater=They are about the same height.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

yknow, looking back on it, Keetongu's size is actually wildly inconsistent within WoS itself. I always assumed that Sidorak was still standing in that one scene, but it's possible he could've fallen to his knees. So that would make the scene you mentioned, when he's walking past Vakama, the most realistic. And yet, when the other five Hordika were telling their story to Keetongu as he sat on his massive pedestal, apparently at least ten feet above them, he is somehow able to reach his fist down to theirs. ???????????

Even when he's walking alongside Vakama, though, Keetongu still looks significantly more than head and shoulders above the toa -- maybe not fully twice their height, but I don't see how he could be any less than 12 feet tall, at least. Maybe 11.

Edited by Junkbot Master of Trash

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Even when he's walking alongside Vakama, though, Keetongu still looks significantly more than head and shoulders above the toa -- maybe not fully twice their height, but I don't see how he could be any less than 12 feet tall, at least. Maybe 11.

A possible explanation for  this is that the Hordikas' height could have been reduced after being exposed to the venom. Although I'm not sure if that's canon or not. 

bZpOwEr

A possible explanation for  this is that the Hordikas' height could have been reduced after being exposed to the venom. Although I'm not sure if that's canon or not. 

They were hunched over a lot more. Look at the way they walk, keeping their arms low to the ground and the trunk (torso) almost parallel with the ground. It was a matter of posture, not size change. With this in mind, They were likely a lot taller at full height than they looked next to Keetongu and Sidorak.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Shouldn't the sets be the official scale, since Bionicle is a toyline before anything else? Other medias could be artistic liscences, cause there are multiple instances where the characters look nothing like they should in the comics. And Bionicle Heroes has a bunch of random stuff added just to make it more playable as a game.

Perhaps they should be, but that would mean that every wave of Toa sets would be literally taller than their preddecessors (on average}. In-universe, all Toa are close to the same height. And that's just one example.

Barring the special sets (Toa Mata Nui), the comics do show the Toas similar to their sets. For example, Bionicle Star characters were indeed smaller and simpler in form in the comics. There are also short Toa and tall Toa within each wave. Perhaps the scale changes each year as sets get more complex, but for the most part they're pretty spot on.

They were hunched over a lot more. Look at the way they walk, keeping their arms low to the ground and the trunk (torso) almost parallel with the ground. It was a matter of posture, not size change. With this in mind, They were likely a lot taller at full height than they looked next to Keetongu and Sidorak.

These are all legitimate point, except that the Hordika were sitting down in the scene I was referencing, so their standing height isn't quite relevant.

Barring the special sets (Toa Mata Nui), the comics do show the Toas similar to their sets. For example, Bionicle Star characters were indeed smaller and simpler in form in the comics. There are also short Toa and tall Toa within each wave. Perhaps the scale changes each year as sets get more complex, but for the most part they're pretty spot on.

That depends on the artist. Stuart Sayger drew Axonn and Brutaka far larger than their sets, whereas the artists who succeeded him were much more set-accurate, but that also isn't an accurate indication of size -- we know, for instance, that the diminutive stature of the Stars is non-canon, since Gresh was never transformed in any way, nor were Nektann, the Rahkshi, or any of the Skrall.

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

These are all legitimate point, except that the Hordika were sitting down in the scene I was referencing, so their standing height isn't quite relevant.

Check the scene again. They were sitting down to tell him why they needed him. Then, they stood up, shouted "Unity!" and Matau invited Keetongu to include his fist among theirs.

They were standing.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I know that the Titan Takanuva's height is non-canon. He is suposed to be the same height he has allways been. (average Toa height is around 2.2 meters)

Nope. He was enlarged by the energy in the core.

He did grow larger, but not quite as large as the set. 

Actually, yes. The Av-Matoran grew to the size of Turaga, due to being designed differently than other Matoran, but Takanuva was a Toa. His energies reacted differently to Karda Nui, and he did, after a while, grow to that size. It wasn't noticed at first, because the effect took a while to manifest. But his already larger size coupled with the fact that he was a Toa increased his size to what you see in the '08 set. However, being removed from Karda Nui's energies allowed him and the Av-Matoran to return to their original size.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I know that the Titan Takanuva's height is non-canon. He is suposed to be the same height he has allways been. (average Toa height is around 2.2 meters)

Nope. He was enlarged by the energy in the core.

He did grow larger, but not quite as large as the set. 

Actually, yes. The Av-Matoran grew to the size of Turaga, due to being designed differently than other Matoran, but Takanuva was a Toa. His energies reacted differently to Karda Nui, and he did, after a while, grow to that size. It wasn't noticed at first, because the effect took a while to manifest. But his already larger size coupled with the fact that he was a Toa increased his size to what you see in the '08 set. However, being removed from Karda Nui's energies allowed him and the Av-Matoran to return to their original size.

The fifth item in the trivia section on Takanuva's page mislead me  :blushlaugh:

P.s. I liked your earlier avatar better tbh 1st Shadow. I do like the Matoran writing on it though.

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Generall, the sets are pretty much to scale, except I'd moderate Toa around to roughly Toa Metru sized. The Piraka Should look pretty beefy next to the Toa Inika, who shouldn't tower over the Toa Nuva the way they do, but other than that, there's no reason to think the sets aren't to scale unless stated otherwise.

Zivon and Tahtorak are giants, more to scale with the Playsets.

I guess a good way of saying that is the sets are up to scale in their respective design years (i.e, 2001-2003 and 2006-2009) and scaled up to the height and size of the building model that succeeds it (unless explicitly specified, like the McToran being smaller than average Matoran or the Stars being the same size as a typical canister set).

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

All Toa are the same size, roughly 7 feet in height I think. Sets within the same scale are in scale with each other. 01-03 and 2010 is one scale. 04-05 is one scale. 06-09 is one scale. Of all the sets, I consider the inika-glatorian the official scale so far as sets goes. Probably because it's the closest to the one we have in Gen 2.

2015 should be pretty up to scale, because the sets were created with the size difference in mind. And we're pretty advance on the building system not to expect a huge dramatic change in size anymore, so the entirety of gen 2 will likely be in scale. I'm not counting animations. Unless they go stars on us.

Edited by Prime Axiom

Check the scene again. They were sitting down to tell him why they needed him. Then, they stood up, shouted "Unity!" and Matau invited Keetongu to include his fist among theirs.

They were standing.

Ahh, you were right. I was going by memory.

Granted, even with the Hordika standing, Keetongu would still have to be pretty dang big to reach his fist into their circle without getting off his pedestal

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You