Star Wars: Interregnum

sunflower

IC:

"Eventually you're going to loop back around to threatening to space me." Liare added helpfully, sipping his coffee and watching the street in front of him. "That's when I know you're out of material."

IC:

"I see."

The words were non-indicative, a placeholder while she mulled the answer over in her head. Her mission operator had clearly been intending that outcome from the beginning, at least as her primary plan, and she was forced to admit that there was merit in it. She would not be able to flee forever, nor would Dana be able to maintain her cover forever. A ship, however, could effectively sustain itself with minimal supply stops indefinitely. A staging ground, perhaps, to advance their ideals.

Did she trust Dana's intentions, however? Luring her to the ship under such pretenses would make her capture much, much easier. Even sacrificing the group of Stormtroopers at her apartment would be a bargain in the long run. It would have been an efficient method to earn her trust.  Nothing she said would give away her intentions, she was too professional for that, so it came down to whether or not she believed the risk was worth it. Did she trust Dana?

"What would your plan of action be, if that were the chosen course?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC Zi'tala

Contrary to her 'comrades', The Zabrak Inquisitor was not out in the vast cities of Taris searching. She had elected instead to  use her training in the Force to search for her goal. Millennia ago, two powerful Force users had left their mark on the planet, and their presence lingered even still. 

In her chambers, she meditated, kneeling in the center of her room, trying to feel the swirls of energy as they pushed and flowed against each other. The faintness of it frustrated her, and she fueled her anger with it, trying to use the methods of Sith Lords and Ladies who had come before her to bend the Force to her will. 

The Dark Side burned within her, and she flowed with raw power, but nothing came. No visions of her goal  passed before her.

She opened her eyes. She was getting nowhere. Hours had passed with no change, save her own anger and frustration steadily rising.

Zi'tala rose. In truth, she had little care about the Republic fugitive, or the rogue Novatrooper. She had always followed her own path, and she was not about to stop now. Her goal was singular: Power. The holocron that allegedly lie somewhere on this planet was her best chance of gaining the power of the Sith, and she would be the one to claim it.

The Empire, the other Inquisitors, the very planet itself were simply a means of attaining that power.

She stepped out of her room, and mounted her speeder bike, headed for the vast swampos that still covered the planet's surface. If the Force would not help her, she would find her answers herself.

IC:

"That's it. Mani, pedi, and ##### sucking lipstick. Riiiiiight," Costa kissed the index and middle fingers of her left hand and reached up to grind the tips hard into Liare's lips, "right there. You'll be too cute. We'll market you as a pop star and conquer the galaxy through your fanboys."

Every time she was sure her job was making her too miserable to joke around, Sarir was always there to bug her.

She loved it.

"Imperial channels are going haywire with activity in the surrounding here. Witnesses reporting a Zabrak fitting the description of our guy getting himself run by some whacked out bounty hunter. Since you like this dive bar so much, we might as well make some use of it. We'll start with that as a focusing point and search in concentric circles. I'm sure we can spare some troops from Insight."

IC:

"My intention is to aid, abet, and obscure for you in any way you require, NT-084, as befits my mission protocol for any operative. This being a passion project does not change my intended function in the slightest."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC (Vanndred, Taris Streets -> Jenth's Workshop):

During his return trip, Vanndred went over the bounty he was pursuing. He'd seen the bothan before at the Stray Tach; lucky, but unless he ran into him there, he'd need more information. The guy was involved in smuggling, and chasing that type never ended well. No, an information broker could do the trick. He knew of none that owed him any favors, nor did he have the funds to hire one. But he did know one that would talk to him, and had expressed an interest in his services. Like many others, he stayed at the Tach as well. Yes, he'd have to have a chat with Viido after he picked up his gear. Speaking of...

Vanndred didn't wait for the automatic door to Jenth's workshop to fully open before squeezing his bulk through the small opening. "Jenth! How's it coming?"

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: (Dak Ulgo, Stray Tach)

Dak paused, only a meter away from the table and she was experiencing a mix of feelings. She was hardly calm. Part of her was nervous that she was wrong. What if this was just some group of people who had nothing to do with her situation. Then what would she say?

On the other hand, if she was right, this could mean many things. She was hoping for answers, but she was officially a deserter now. They hadn't made a firm effort at locating her, but that may have only been because the Imperial Forces on Taris had much higher priorities, and they probably wouldn't mind arresting and/or executing her if given the chance. One way or another, she was a fugitive, and she couldn't hide out with the street gangs forever. Getting off Taris was probably her best bet, and if this guy was who she thought he was, he could be the key.

The ex-Stormtrooper approached the table slowly. She wasn't entirely sure what to say. Her training hadn't exactly covered discretion, and she definitely wasn't trained for undercover work. Perhaps the only option was to tell the truth (or at least as much as she could safely reveal) and hope they believed her.

"You're the one they're hunting, aren't you?" Dak finally said as she approached the table. "The Empire has been looking for someone who matches your description, a fugitive of great significance."

Dak paused.

"Relax," she finally said. "I'm not here to collect. If you are who I think you are, I'm willing to trade work for safe passage off Taris."

IC:

In spite of Costa's best efforts, Liare Sarir just continued to grin. In fact, after her comments, he took the time to blow her an exaggerated, flamboyant kiss coupled with a wink. The con-man-turned-Inquisitor downed the last of his coffee and tossed the cup into a receptacle, casually throwing an arm around his boss' shoulders and squeezing gently. 

"Sure thing, Costa, but you've gotta blend. You remember how to blend, right?"

IC:

"Respectfully, I asked what your plan of action would be Ms. Dana. I understand your intentions."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

OOC: So I've been talking to Rache, and it turns out the street gang plot hasn't been very good. In fact, it seems people are actively ignoring those posts. I was hoping it would bring in a new angle, but I've failed miserably. I'm still waiting a response before I can do anything more with Dak, so this seemed like a good time to finally resolve it. I know this isn't exactly the most dramatic way to deal with the problem, but it's something.

IC: The Twi'lek stood in surprise as she approached the Vulkar Base. The old building wasn't in particularly great shape. Next to her, Viseria appeared to show discomfort.

"I can feel it," the Miraluka said, a sense of mourning in her voice.

Nadia approached reluctantly. As she stepped inside, the place was in ruins. Furniture had been knocked over, the remnants of blaster fire everywhere. Some of the vulkars were injured, with others tending to their wounded. A few bodies were lying around, among them Nadia recognized Dorq Joben. 

"Nadia?" A familiar voice called out. The Twi'lek turned. She could see Gonzai standing in front of her. He looked shaken, though otherwise unharmed. 

"What happened?"

"What do you think?" The Gamorrean replied. "The Beks attacked."

"It looks bad," Nadia replied.

"The Beks are getting nasty. We managed to repel them for now, but they're going to keep coming. Listen, Nadia. I've given it some thought, and I've had to make a difficult decision."

Nadia remained quiet. 

"How much you got in winnings?"

"Around five hundred credits," Nadia replied.

Gonzai reached into his pocket, handing Nadia a few credit chits.

"Here's 200. That should be enough for you and Viseria to buy passage off Taris."

"What?" Nadia asked. "You want me to leave?"

"I know it's hard to accept," Gonzai said. "At this rate, the Vulkars are done. If you stick around here, they'll kill you at the first opportunity."

Nadia paused, a few tears emerging, though she was visibly trying to hold back the urge to cry. Viseria approached her, placing her hands on her shoulders.

"You're a great swoop rider, Nadia. You could succeed off-world. Viseria, you've always wanted answers. I hope you find them."

"Thanks," the Miraluka said, her voice soft.

"Find a place to lay low," Gonzai said. "From there, take the first opportunity to get off-world. Tashka's going to want to come fight. If you see her, try to convince her to leave."

"Got it," Nadia replied, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Now I'll need you to get out of here before anyone comes back."

Nadia nodded. "Goodbye," she said, with a sniff.

"I'll miss you," Gonzai replied.

Nadia turned toward the door. She walked out the door, Viseria behind her. Nadia wiped another tear as she stepped out of the Vulkar Base for the last time. Viseria placed an arm on her shoulder in comfort.

OOC: Nadia is open for interaction. 

Edited by Atton Rand

• 4 weeks later...

IC:

Isariah happily started in on the dumpling soup while Roka mulled over his options. Privately, she thought he was taking a little long to make up his mind, but, she reasoned, everyone had days like that.

As she enjoyed her soup, she reflected that she might be a little less understanding if they'd been ordering together.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

"You're the one they're hunting, aren't you?" Dak finally said as she approached the table. "The Empire has been looking for someone who matches your description, a fugitive of great significance."

Dak paused.

"Relax," she finally said. "I'm not here to collect. If you are who I think you are, I'm willing to trade work for safe passage off Taris."

IC [Tallik Vao, The Stray Tach]

Tallik's hand moved calmly but decisively to the grip of his blaster pistol.

"Word of advice," he said to the woman who had approached them. "You think you've found a wanted man? Walking up to him and telling him you know who he is is a great way to get yourself shot."

The Twi'lek wasn't one for shooting first and asking questions later (unlike his partner, the cavalier Calrissian), but neither was he inclined to trust random strangers in bars. He often had an instinctive sense for whether a person was trouble, and he wasn't getting such a feeling from this woman, but nonetheless Tallik was wary. That she would not only infer the Zabrak's identity, but approach him in public, call him out, and then ask him for work was more than enough grounds for suspicion.

"In any case, I'm not sure why you'd think my client was such a person."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: Dak paused. The Twi'lek had every right to be suspicious of her. His reaction seemed to at the very least indicate that they were trying to keep a low profile, assuming she was wrong about who she was working with. It didn't seem like there was a logical response. In any case, perhaps these people could still get her off-world, which would be a start.

The ex-stormtrooper looked around nervously, before taking a seat. On the upside, it seemed unlikely that any of the men were Imperial Spies, given the Empire's generally anti-alien outlook.

"Okay," she muttered. "Let's just say that I'm in a lot of trouble right now and could really use a ship off-world. The Empire's got people after me and if I stay on Taris too long I could die."

• 4 weeks later...

IC (Varis):

As she drew closer to the southern portion of the Jorza District, with still no further contact from Veyura, Varis began to have concerns about the Inquisitor who was serving as her direct commander for this mission. She had expected to receive coordinates for the rendezvous by now, and while both foot and vehicle traffic on Taris were unpredictable at the best of times, if something had happened to impede Veyura's progress, she knew the Inquisitor to be one who would give a status update, in order to keep control of the situation.

If something unforeseen had happened, Veyura would have informed her team - if she was able. She could handle herself in a fight, that was unquestionable, but even with the Force, there was always the possibility of being incapacitated without the possibility of a fight.

Pushing further speculation from her mind, Varis double-clicked her comlink, then set it to transmit. Speaking quietly to avoid suspicion, she began, "Kalaf, nearing search area. Awaiting further instructions. If safely possible, report status."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC [Raia Veyura, Lower City]

"I read you, Kalaf," Veyura replied. "I think I've found a good place to start. Meet me in Viggy's Lounge. I'll find us a private booth."

The Inquisitor swung herself off the rental speederbike and walked through the doors beneath the large holo-sign that proclaimed, in stylised lettering, the name of the aforementioned Lounge. It looked to be a quieter and cleaner establishment than a lot of the bars in the area. The multitude of private booths that lined the interior walls made it an attractive place for the Inquisitors to meet and plan their search.

The sound of classy music and quiet conversation washed over Veyura as she entered, taking a quick look around in case their quarry was here himself. Most of the tables and stools were underlit in red, as was the bar, behind which the eponymous Viggy (a gangly Xexto) was preparing drinks with all four of his arms. He looked up as she approached, big black eyes twinkling amiably.

"What can I getcha?" he croaked.

"One Raxus Seabreeze," Veyura requested. "And a booth for three."

"Seabreeze, comin' right up," Viggy replied, already snatching up a glass with one hand and beginning to pour liquors with two others. Within seconds, Veyura's drink was sliding towards her across the counter. "Take your pick of the booths."

Veyura smiled her thanks, took the drink and headed for the nearest booth. It was a cylindrical alcove, with a table set in the middle and a single padded bench curving around it. Veyura sat down and took a sip from her glass, leaving the door of the booth open for now so her colleagues would see her. After allowing herself a few seconds to savour the fresh tang of the Raxus Seabreeze, she put a finger to her comm.

"Got a booth. I expect I'll see you shortly, Kalaf. Raine, what about you?"

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

"You are late."

"Couldn't be avoided, the Empir-"

The armored being tilted his head upward, the motion catching Rav's attention and cutting him off mid sentence. The zabrak turned in his seat to look over his shoulder, following his contact's line of sight to focus on a young, long-haired human woman approaching them. Her wear was characteristic of the less than savory citizens of the metropolis, though it honestly looked out of place on her. Rather than the ease which many of the gang members of the city held themselves with, she quite frankly appeared terrified. Instinctively, Rav's hand drifted towards his blaster, but Tallik was way ahead of him, intercepting the woman as she reached their table. Rav managed to hide the flinch as the human laid out what she wanted, his image would've been plastered across every screen the Empire could reasonably control, naturally, more and more people would recognize him the longer he stayed.

Mostly satisfied that she wasn't a threat, Rav relaxed somewhat. There was little point in wasting time, and he wasn't in the business of playing transport right now. 

"We're in the same boat then," Rav stared at her for a moment, looking for any break, and possible tell, as she slid into one of the empty seats. He had the distinct feeling that she wasn't exactly a native to Taris, though not really an Imperial spy either. "Fine, you have a deal, though I can't exactly guarantee passage at this point."

Rav turned back towards his contact, who had remained stoic throughout, though only his larger body language conveyed through his armor. Not that there was much to work with, the stale beverage on the table was more emotive. From within his vest's pockets he produced a small datachip, compact and secure, the kind normally used by military agencies. He passed it off to the armored being, who stowed it in his belt. "Get that back to Command, have them run salvage on those coordinates, I only scratched the surface of what may be there."

"Alright, so what did you find on it?"

"Dantooine system, the data was largely corrupted from age, I reconstructed what was left." From another compartment his contact took out a metallic cylinder, not unlike the access codes worn by Imperial Officers, and handed it to Rav. "That will put you within a thousand kilometers."

Rav let out a breath, he didn't like that margin of error.

After a moment, he seemed to remember that he wasn't the only one at the table, and turned his attention to Tallik. "One more favor, I'm starting to get too well known around these parts," he glanced at the human woman, "you think you could ask around for some transport offworld. Preferably a pilot who doesn't follow Imperial regulations and would be willing to leave in a rush."

Rav focused his attention back to the most recent addition to the group, lacing his fingers together. "And you, what exactly did the Empire pin on you?"

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Dak remained quiet. She wasn't sure what to say. Should she tell him the truth? She'd already remained honest up until now. It wasn't like she had managed to hide the fact that she was a fugitive.

"Desertion," she finally stammered out. It looked like shew as going to have to tell him the truth.

"Until about a day ago, I was a stormtrooper. I was part of a crew sent to investigate a downed B-wing in the undercity, probably yours. Things went wrong, and next thing I knew I was running to the elevator and trying to disappear. I don't know much about what went on down there, but whatever was in that B-wing was important to them. It was enough that they murdered my commanding officer and then blamed you for her death just so they had a public justification for tracking you. Now I don't know what's going on, but as far as the Empire is concerned I'm a deserter who knows too much, a loose end that needs to be dealt with."

OOC: Question: Is there a bounty on Dak at the moment? I get the sense that the Empire has bigger priorities, but it seems logical that at the very least a warrant would be issued saying that she is a fugitive and should be apprehended or reported if seen.

Tallik gave a low whistle, exchanging glances with Cylund. From what he could glean from the ex-Stormtrooper's words, whatever trouble their Zabrak client was in, it looked to be deeper than he'd anticipated. Good. They could handle it. And the bigger the black eye the Empire got as a result, the better.

"Well, finding a ship won't be a problem," he said to Rav with a smirk. "It just so happens that my partner and I have a ship of our own, ready to go. She's a blockade runner. Class 1 hyperdrive, sensor jammers, the works. We'll get you to Dantooine in no time."

IC: Dak listened as Talik described his ship. He had a blockade runner? Like the kinds used by rebels? That was new. Riding one of those would be a first.

"You will need to get past Imperial Security," she said. "If they want you this bad, I'm guessing the spaceports will be watched. At the very least there would be patrols in the upper city. Probably ready to shoot on sight. And that's assuming we don't have to deal with any more of these inquisitors. We'd also need to be sure they can't I.D. Us in orbit."

"Then ain't it a good thing she's nowhere near the spaceport?" Cylund replied with his patented grin.

Tallik nodded.

"We parked her out in the junk fields, in an old hiding spot of ours. Avoiding run-ins with Imperial customs officers is one of our specialities. Sneaking on and off Taris isn't so hard; the Imps out here don't have the resources for a proper sensor net like you'd find nearer the Core. Our jammers are enough to avoid detection nine times out of ten."

The Twi'lek turned to Rav.

"What worries me is these rumours about a Star Destroyer in orbit. We should be able to escape any trouble if we charge the hyperdrive quick enough, but all the same..."

Edited by Ghosthands

IC: "I don't know much," Dak said. "But I did hear about the Star Destroyer. There was a dark trooper squad that came from there, led by someone named Raltz. He didn't like my C.O. and was probably involved in killing her. He was also the one who dragged us into the undercity over a b-wing and got me into this mess in the first place."

Edited by Atton Rand

IC (Varis):

"En route, ETA..." She looked around casually, taking in the signs of the various businesses nearby, "Ah, never mind. I see the sign. Kerning's a bit... ah, could be worse, yeah?"

Shrugging, the Inquisitor pocketed her comlink and walked the rest of the distance to the door of Viggy's, pointedly not looking at the holo-sign and the slightly odd decisions that had been made when making it. As she opened the door, a quick look inside told her that kerning was likely to be the biggest problem with this place; it was quiet, comfortably lit, and didn't look like the sort of place whose owners welcomed customers settling disputes with blasters. A quick glance at the booths along one wall showed her which way Veyura had gone, and, with a polite greeting to the bartender, she followed her colleague to a booth.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC Odiina - Stray Tach:

The off duty Trooper had made her way to the cantina after feeling hungry. This place had its fair share of less than savory people in it, but Odiina happened to know that the Wookie who ran the place made excellent food.

As such, it was generally the one individual pleasure she allowed herself.

And it might have continued to be merely that had she not caught sight of...

"Dak?"

• Upvote 1

IC: (Stray Tach)

Dak remained tense. She was starting to get a strange sensation. It felt like she was being watched.

"I don't know what's going on, but every Imperial on Taris is watching for you, enough that the Inquisitorious is working on-Taris."

Dak glanced to her right, careful not to turn her head. There did seem to be someone sitting there, only a few seats down from the drunk half-asleep Togruta. She did seem familiar. It took a moment to realize why without her armor, especially with her limited view.

"That woman at the bar," Dak whispered. "Odiina Brando. She's a stormtrooper, and unlike me she hasn't been accused of desertion. She's probably off-duty but wouldn't be afraid to report either of us if we were recognized."

Tashka slowly lifted her head as she half-consciously looked at the woman next to her. It was hard to say who it was in her intoxicated state. She probably wouldn't need to defend herself, though that wouldn't stop her if she managed to get provoked, especially in a state where she wouldn't be thinking clearly. The Togruta turned toward her, her eyelids still heavy.

"Hey," she muttered, her voice slurring. "You want a drink. You've come to the right place." She started to lower her head back down. "More whiskey please," she called out before closing her eyes.

Edited by Atton Rand

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

"It appears, upon reflection and analysis, Plans A through K all involve stealing this ship. Its tactical benefits and wicked cool factor would make it quite a boon in any further endeavors with comparatively small risks, whereas the vast majority of other ships would diminish my operating abilities."

Though unspoken, the words and did I mention wicked cool seemed to hang, unspoken, between the two females.

-Tyler

Edited by April Schwarz

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"Viggy's." Liare scoffed under his breath, quite aware that his commline was open while he escorted Costa towards his new favorite place on Taris. "Never let Veyura pick the drinks, Kalaf, she's got awful taste in lounges. Going incognito. Sarir out."

The Inquisitor cheerfully pulled the comm unit out of his ear and pocketed it, shooting his Zeltron best friend an innocent grin, before he opened the door and stepped in.

"Welcome to my favorite place for drinks, boss."

IC:

"I am sure the 'wicked cool factor' is a very real matter for consideration." The Novatrooper commented dryly, though not without a trace of humor. "If we were to steal the ship, what would be your recommended plan of action?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC(Varis):

"I'm having water, Liare. I always have water. How bad can it possibly be?"

Varis didn't feel quite right starting discussion of more official matters without either Raine's presence or Veyura's go-ahead, so she kept it to drinks for the time being.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: Dak took a deep breath, though she still felt tense. Odiina wasn't wearing her armor, and she was probably unarmed. That would mean if she engaged them directly, Dak would have the upper hand through numbers. If Odiina was smart, she would probably call for backup, in which case they would have to leave quick. Of course, the man in front of Dak had so far managed to elude the Inquisitorious.'He probably had a means of escape already. They already had a means off-world, it was just a matter of avoiding detection, which also seemed to be covered.

"If it's any use, I've got a few contacts in the lower city. I've been hiding out with one of the gangs. That's where I got these clothes."

IC: The ex-stormtrooper remained quiet. Sure, the place was noisy enough, but it wasn't too hard make out that voice.

"Dak?! You...you're alive?" 

Dak quickly shot a glance towards her new partners, unsure of what to do. She tried to act ignorant of the approaching stormtrooper.

Edited by Atton Rand

• 4 weeks later...

IC(Isariah):

The second bowl of soup was a bit thicker and a lot spicier than the first. The crabs also tasted pretty great dipped into it, so Isariah was having a pretty good time while she tried to ignore the growing number of people gathered in one corner.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC:

"I might know a few things about avoiding Imperial Cruisers," Rav replied, glad to hear that transport had been all but taken care of rather easily. He had a feeling that most of the unmarked credits he had on his person were going to go to a single source. Not that it mattered much, they weren't his credits, though he didn't expect to buy his way through this mission.

The ex-trooper spoke up again, indicating another human at the bar, who had started turned towards their group.

Discreetly, Rav's hand moved towards his blaster under the table, the amount of attention that was being drawn towards the table was beginning to get out of hand. The last he needed was this woman's old friends recognizing her, and make a big deal out of it. He wasn't comfortable with the idea of starting a firefight in such an enclosed space.  According to her, the approaching human was a Stormtrooper, which only made matters worse.

Before he had a chance to act, his blue-armored contact stood up from the table, a feat which had previously seemed impossible given how long he had been seated there, and placed himself deftly between Odiina and the rapidly growing group. He planted himself there, and spoke from behind his helmet. "Is there a problem, ma'am?"

Rav caught Dak's attention. "Alright, we may need to use some of those contacts, but if you're coming with us you have to keep your head down and avoid attention," he spoke in nearly a whisper, though the last bit came out as a hiss.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC:

Weeeeeeeeell, ######.

Upon stepping into the Stray Tach, Liare couldn't quite decide whether this was his luckiest yet or his unluckiest. On the one hand there was the fugitive- right there!- in the corner. With the rogue Stormtrooper he'd gone out of his way to spare. And a really, really armored buddy. Which also meant there wasn't gonna be any subtlety about it, she was bound to recognize his handsome mug.

Pros; easy search, Veyura didn't find him, Costa is gonna have to tell me I did a good job.

Cons; I'm gonna have to actually fight, that Stormtrooper's probably gonna die, and I'm never gonna be allowed back in this bar.

Maybe if he was lucky they wouldn't do something stupid and start a fight in the bar. He'd really, really prefer it if they could take this outside. He hated to get civilians caught in the crossfire, he really hoped that trooper was smart enough to bolt, and he'd really hate to damage such a nice bar. Nevertheless his left hand went for his blaster, tucked inside his coat, and his right slipped towards his concealed lightsaber.

That said, their attention was focused on someone his old friend the motormouth trooper seemed to know. They hadn't seen him yet, and she was the only one who'd be able to place him. He reconsidered reaching for his saber and gripped his boss' wrist instead, pulling her quickly into a booth with as much of a casual air as he could and hoped for some really good luck.

If he was lucky, Dak didn't see him.

If he was really, really lucky then his best friend wouldn't do something rash before he talked to her.

Edited by Peele

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Dak looked at her new friends. Stealth wasn't exactly her strong point, especially for a trooper trained in front line combat.

"Okay," She finally muttered. "Keep a low profile."

Dak took a deep breath.

"I've been hiding out with one of the gangs, the Black Vulkars. My C.O. gave them a lot of business so they don't mind hiding a friend of hers. They've had some difficulties with a rival gang but the Empire hasn't given them much trouble. They're run by a Gammorrean named Gonzai. The other people to watch for are a pair of young women: a green Twi'lek who goes by Nadia Rinlo. She's usually accompanied by a friend, Viseria. You should be able to recognize her by her hood. They're both riders for the Vulkars that I trust."

Dak's attenation was drawn to the door. The man who was entering seemed familiar. It took a moment to recognize him as the same man who questioned her at the base. Now he was accompanied by a very intimidating woman. She didn't recognize her, but had a feeling that she was bad news.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC Odiina:

She took a step back, instinct more than intimidation.

"No, I just..."

Her training kicked in, and she took in her surroundings.

First and foremost was the being in front of her. Armored, and likely armed as well.

Second was who she was all but positive was her former comrade.

Third was.... The fugitive?! No... No that couldn't be right. Dak wouldn't be the man who'd killed their CO... Much less a member of the -Republic-!

Finally... The inquisitors. Spotted only briefly before slipping aside.

And here she was with nothing but her sidearm and her wits.

Nothing about this made sense.

Worse yet, there was no standard procedure for something like this.

".....just was trying to catch up with an old friend."

She took a breath, and made to step past the man.

IC: Tashka groaned as she woke. Her head felt heavy as she slowly lifted it off the counter. Her montrals were still buzzing but her senses were returning.

"Note to self," she thought. "Don't order Correllian Whiskey." One shot of that stuff had already knocked her out, only for a few minutes but still.

Still, she could sense something. Amidst the buzzing in her montrals she was able to tell that some commotion seemed to be happening. A lot of people were gathered in the far corner near the door. 

The Togruta looked towards the table. She could see the armored man, who had finally stood up and was busy confronting a young woman. The table he had been sitting at was now occupied by a few other people, including Dak. Whatever was going on, it looked like that young woman had some business with Dak.

Making things more confusing, Tashka quickly noticed two people entering the Cantina and sitting near Dak's booth. She didn't recognize either of them, but she had a feeling something was off about that Zeltron woman.

Her hand moved toward the vibro-double blade at her waist. She kept her hands on the handle, ready to extend the blade at a moment's notice.

Viseria paused. She stopped in the middle of the street.

Nadia looked at her friend in surprise. "You okay?"

Viseria slowly stepped toward Nadia. They were standing outside the Stray Tach.

"I feel something," Viseria muttered. "There is a presence here. I can't explain."

IC:

Internally, Costa was seething.

This idiot is a trouble magnet, she cursed to herself, unsure whether her ire was directed at the con artist beside her or the New Republic pilot seated just a few booths away. Either that, or the bar was built on top of a nexus, the site of some ancient hot and steamy coupling between Revan and his daring pilot Carth Onoimeanwhat tragedy that left a particularly heavy Force scar on a planet that teemed with them. Either that, or--

It doesn't matter.

What mattered is that they had their target. For whatever reasons, be they sentimental or pragmatic, Liare didn't want to make an arrest within the bar. That was fine (no it wasn't) but she wasn't about to let anyone's heart - even her best friend's - book this guy passage off Taris. Not only would it mean a further waste of resources and a massive blown chance, inevitably the question of who exactly had screwed the womp rat would come up. Once again, the job of protecting Liare's life from superiors who didn't see his...his...whatever Costa saw in him...would have to fall to Costa herself.

So, in lieu of anything obvious...

...the Zeltron lifted a hand and pulled down her neckline. Two fingers slipped into her top and pressed a minuscule beacon she kept on the inside of the garment, ensuring that her location was broadcast to all Inquisitors currently planetside.

If even a few of them showed up, they would have enough to nail this guy. And anyone helping him.

I wish we could do shots.

She angled her head to face Liare and winked, flicking her neckline slightly before dragging it back to a semi-respectable part of her torso.

"S'pretty hot in here."

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC [Raia Veyura, Viggy's Lounge]

Veyura responded to her colleagues' disparagement with a raised eyebrow that, despite being a virtually silent motion, somehow carried across the comlink. As Liare and Costa initiated radio silence, she took a sip from her drink and met Varis' gaze.

"Still nothing from Raine. Not that I particularly miss his compan—"

She was interrupted by a repeated tone emanating from both Inquisitors' communicators: Costa's homing beacon.

"Well, well. Seems the Chief's already found our man."

The Umbaran produced her pocket datapad and keyed in the beacon coordinates. The location was another bar, this one known as the Stray Tach. The datapad helpfully indicated that it had a higher holonet review rating than Viggy's.

Hmph.

She rose to her feet, tucking the datapad back into her coat (and surreptitiously checking the locations of her vials and lightsaber).

"I say we move, Raine or no Raine."

Tallik was beginning to feel uneasy, and not just because of this 'old friend' situation. Over the years he'd learned he had an instinctive sense for when things were about to go bad, almost uncannily so, but this feeling was different. Over the last minute or so he'd begun to feel an odd sort of headache, a sensation he hadn't felt before and couldn't quite describe even to himself. Was it like a humming sound overlaid with a soft crackling, or a prickling coldness? Was it in his forehead, or the base of his skull — or originating from somewhere else entirely, somewhere outside his body?

And had it just intensified a fraction as those two people entered the bar, glancing in his direction before heading to a booth?

It might be nothing. But it might not. Tallik felt the reassuring weight of the pistol at his hip and the sword at his back, running through in his mind the well-memorised positions of grip and hilt.

IC: Whatever was going on in the corner, it didn't look good. Aside from the two intimidating figures, Tashka could see that Both Dak and one of her new companions was growing more tense. It did not seem like an unreasonable assumption that whatever was going to happen could develop into a full scale barroom brawl. At least assuming the wookie wasn't able to stop it.

The Togruta placed her hand firmly on the hilt at her waist, taking it off her belt and maintaining a firm grip. For now, she would only watch. It seemed best not to engage yet. None of the people posed any immediate threat to her and if she did she would be greatly outnumbered. Most of them had blasters as well. They didn't seem like the kinds of people who would want a fair fight.

IC:

"Might just be you." The comment slipped out half as a low purr while Liare shrugged off his coat, letting the garment fall to the bench beside him. None of the targets had lightsabers but blaster bolts would burn through fabric just as quickly. Losing his favorite coat wasn't really on his to-do-list. "You are looking a little red, Costa."

The tension in the room continued to spike, climbing towards its frenetic climax. The con man loved a good bit of tension but this wasn't quite right. Tension of the right kind left you feeling electrified, every increase was anticipatory; it was excitement of the purest variety. This was built on anxiety. Everyone in the room knew something bad was about to happen but no one was sure who'd move first, who'd bring the tension to its crescendo. For once it wasn't going to be Liare. Flirting was always a good way to keep his mind occupied, it was so familiar it was relaxing, so he slipped into the routine without,

Flirting with the boss was always fun, anyway.

"Togruta over there's eager." The Inquisitor commented quietly, pulling his shoulder blades together and feeling the familiar stretch of taut sinew. He twisted to either side feeling each pop of his back with a soft 'mm'. A roll of each shoulder followed, accompanied by the unclasping of the strap keeping his DC-17 secure in its holster. "Blade out. I'll keep an eye on her. Two of the people over there are troopers, three unknowns, and the target."

"Hope you're limbered up."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC (Raltz Nightwing, Ship Graveyard):

Raltz smiled slightly beneath his helmet as his comm crackled with news of Inquisitor Costa activating her beacon. Any time spent with terror troopers was time you knew you would regret, ordering them around or not. Raltz boarded the transport that had dropped them off, ducking into the cockpit area.

The pilot turned. "We're receiving the Inquisitor's signal from the upper city. Shall we drop you off on our way back up to the Insight?"

"Affirmative." Raltz leaned in over the viewscreen to see the map of the area.

"We can pick up your squad on the way, but we'd have to circle around."

"No. I'll take a squad from here. My team needs some cooldown from this morning, and the Terror Troopers want to do their thing."

As he exited the cockpit area, a full squad of eight terror troopers were in the troop bay. Some twitched, some could be heard breathing through their respirators, one was even strapping in, and they all were slouching.

Raltz frowned, thankful his helmet shielded his face with its uncompromising grimace. This is why he hated dealing with these freaks. But, for all the places they fell short as shocktroopers, they lived up to their name. Addressing them all, he sat down and buckled in. "One of the inquisitors has activated her transponder. We will be providing backup. On site you will remain cloaked until an inquisitor or myself call you in. When that happens, neutralize all hostiles at your discretion. And of course, defer to the Inquisitors at all times. Orders clear?"

The ship shuddered as it took off. One of the terror troopers brandished its claws, looking at Raltz through the gaps. "Are we all combat junkies?"

Raltz growled as he buckled in. He hated working with these things. He switched to the Inquisitor band on his helmet's comlink. "I'm on my way with a squad of the company that just arrived. We will be on site shortly."

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: "Viseria?"

The Miraluka collapsed on the sidewalk. Nadia turned toward her friend, running up and crouching next to her. The Twi'lek couldn't do much.

"I can feel them," Viseria muttered. "I can feel a presence I haven't felt before."

Nadia looked towards the Stray Tach. Taris wasn't exactly known for its great medical coverage, especially for those living in the lower city. But perhaps the bartender had first aid training, or at least knew someone to talk to. In any case, there weren't very many other places to go.

Nadia grabbed Viseria's arm, wrapping it around her shoulder, and stepped inside. The place was crowded and noisy, but Nadia was able to find a small table in the back where she was able to place her Miraluka friend.

"It's okay," Nadia muttered. "I'll get you some water."

Nadia turned toward the counter. That was when a few things caught her attention. First, she recognized Tashka, who seemed ready to strike. The Togruta was busy watching another table in the corner, where Dak was seated with Talik Vao and Cylund Calrissean. Adding to that, she quickly recognized one of two people sitting in a booth nearby; it was the man who questioned Dak at the Vulkar Base. The Zeltron woman accompanying him didn't look like someone she wanted to mess with.

None of this looked good. There was something about that man. Nadia could remember that Viseria was also having some difficulty when they met at the bar.

Not much she could do now. Unless any swoop fans managed to recognize her amidst the crowd (possible but with this many people unlikely), she would be fairly inconspicuous.

The Twi'lek approached the counter and looked toward the Wookie bartender. 

"Excuse me," she called out. "My friend isn't feeling too good." She motioned toward Viseria. "Could I get some water?"

IC:

"Actually, my head feels like a bantha stomped on it, I want every inch of this planet glassed and used as foundation for a good massage parlor, and I still am not gonna get to go to any of the clubs in the Upper City," Costa sulked, blue eyebrows pursed in a surly pout. "But sure. I could probably still kill people."

Raltz's transmission put her in a slightly better mood; whatever the tumultuous events of the last sixteen hours, even if everything that could go wrong did go wrong, their pilot wasn't going anywhere. All that remained on the agenda was actually taking a knife...

"Move."

...and cutting the tension.

Costa Vespula cracked her elbows and knuckles with one stretch before standing up and turning to face the table full of undesirables. Liare was at her back, protecting her from any sneak attacks from the bar or the vibroblade-wielding Togruta that the con artist was eyeballing. The terror troopers and any Inquisitors still in the canvassing area were flocking to the bar. There was even one - and, if Liare was to be believed about the other woman, two - stormtroopers placed right at the pilot's table. Costa was as in control here as she was likely to get. It had to be now.

"Troopers," she called out as she weaved with serpentine grace into an open spot, between the table and their view of the entrance. "Chief Inquisitor Costa Vespula. I don't know if either of you have seen a screen lately, but that Zabrak schmoozing you is a wanted fugitive from here to the Inner Rim. Either help me arrest him or step aside, and I'll throw in a good word for you before I leave this trash heap. Maybe even get you stationed somewhere with a view." She looked the rest of the assortment at the table over, and her mouth quirked. "The rest of you are coming with me. Soon as we vet you and make sure that you're not just poor suckers he's trying to bring down with him, we'll send you on your way. Gutter rats aren't in my jurisdiction anymore. Pinky promises."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME