The Official Minecraft Topic

What sort of mods do you mean? We've got ~20 pages of discussion about the FTB and Technic modpacks, which both use Forge.

Also, helryx, when exactly does it crash? And do you get a crash report, or does it straight-up crash?

~Unit#phntk#1

Its fine now. It says it runs out of memory. I can still play classic though. :3

And the no placing problem was fixed by me changing of the buttons on my mouse to Secondary.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

I may be moving soon, which will open me up to the possibility of faster interwebz. Assuming I can figure out how to successfully make my IP static, I should be able to host a faster server. Again, the only reason I'm not hosting one now is because PFStaticIP seems to be broken.

banner.jpg

I think you might misunderstand Rover, the 40USD/m is if you're renting a server. If you actually own it, it's just whatever your internet costs.

I also just realized this sounds kinda patronizing. Not my intent, just saying, one of us must be misunderstanding the other.

Oh, so the constraints regarding my computer don't actually matter? Sushi was still kinda the biggest obstacle, though. No real guarantees can be made regarding me having 40$ consistently at the right time of the month.

[Also, if you think something sounds patronizing or condescending or whatever, either change it or just sort of roll with it, because hanging a lampshade on it in the same post is just kind of weird.]

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I just hang my lampshades there so that people don't get too terribly offended if I came off the wrong way.

It really depends on your computers specs. RAM is the most important thing here; if you have a decent amount (2-4 gig) you should be able to run a small server off of it.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

My laptop has 4 gigs of ram, and as far as I could tell the main lag problems were due to my internet connection (because I had no lag when I was playing, unless I fooled around with WorldEdit a bit too much).

banner.jpg

Mmh. Well, like I said, if I were to run a server off of my computer, it would be a summer-only deal, as PM and others can attest to the wacky nonsense my college internet lag caused last time I tried to play on a server. Running a server through that would be alternately hilarious and infuriating.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So, does that mean if you're running the server on your own computer, you don't have to pay anything more than your monthly internet bill?

If so, I might be able to do it. Heck, I could give it 8 gigs. =P (But I won't try anything like that, might not have enough left)

- :burnmad:

Yes, though it can be a bugger to get your ports right if your modem isn't the greatest.

...Ok, I might just be misunderstanding what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you might be confusing RAM and HDD space. You can't just 'give' it eight gigabytes unless you have eight gigabytes of RAM already. I say that because you say you don't have much left, and that's not how RAM works. That is however how HDD space works.

Edited by Dr. Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

My computer has, I believe, 2 sticks of 8 gigs of RAM. Or it might be 4 of 4. I'm just fairly sure I have 16 gigs total. So unless I'm terribly misunderstanding something, we're good. (Keep in mind, however, that I could very well be. =P)

Anyway, my modem is a Belkin, which I've never heard a single good thing about, but I might be getting a new one soon. What would you recommend, a Lynksis?

Edit: Er, wait, that's my router. I don't see a brand name on the front of my modem, one sec.

Edit#2: Does Arris sound right?

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

Can I request we run Feed the Beast instead of Technic? FtB seems to hate my computer much less than Technic, plus FTB is kept updated more frequently. :wink:

...that and FtB has Portal Gun. :D

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Can I request we run Feed the Beast instead of Technic? FtB seems to hate my computer much less than Technic, plus FTB is kept updated more frequently. :wink:

...that and FtB has Portal Gun. :D

If we do that can we do the direwolf 20 variant? It's the variant with redpower and without gregtech.

Although I freely admit that the edition direwolf 20 version can have lag issues when mystcraft is abused.

edit

I was just mentioning that my computer can run Technic with two gigs devoted to Java, I was intending to do Vanilla for the server. :

But vanillas just fine.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

I completely spaced on getting FtB over the break. Oh well.

If this server does indeed end up happening, I'm going to have to request that you be very careful indeed about who is allowed what powers. BZPers are generally reasonably responsible, but that doesn't mean we haven't caused a few spectacular fiascos. A certain giant slime comes to mind. And mooshrooms spawned on the roof of the Nether in great enough quantities to cause a crash. And, well, I had a bit of a habit of transmuting bedrock to gold. And there was ToaD's fondness to tossing poison at anything that moves. Point is, we really can't be trusted.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Get an AirPort Extreme, or an Express if you're poor.

He means if he gives it 8 gigs of ram, he won't have much left to do other stuff with his computer.

No, I was making sure he wasn't confusing RAM with HDD space. If he has sixteen gigs of RAM, then yeah, he can devote eight to it and be fine. Actually, probably could devote ten to it and still be able to multitask.

The make of the modem isn't as important as its settings. You have to set it up to port-forward, and there's plenty of *censored* videos that will tell you how to do that.

voidstars.png

Yeah, just figured out what port is open and tell Minecraft to use it.

voidstars.png

It doesn't cost you anything dude. The price tags we've been discussing are server rentals.

voidstars.png

If you are running it from your computer it will cost you no more then the internet. If you are going to use plugins, I would suggest downloading Bukkit then looking up videos for how to set it up. Then, finally, it depends on what kind of server this will be. We still talking vanilla?

Also, recently I've been playing some Hunger Games servers. Anyone else ever played on them?

Sorry, sorry, it's just really important. =P

So, do I need to download the server software from the minecraft website? (I hope not, I can't seem to access it right now) If so, it won't affect my Technic, right?

Edit: Yes, it will be vanilla.

I imagine a personal chest of some sort would be the first priority, along with other anti-griefing measurements.

Edit: Alright, Bukkit sounds epic. But it says in the setup instructions to make a file named run.bat, and in this file, I see xms 1024m, xmx 1024m, and all that stuff. I assume I change it to 8g? (Unless you guys don't think that much is necessary)

Edit: Nevermind that, now I'm setting it up and it says everything but 1024M is an invalid heap size because it exceeds the maximum representable size. What am I doing wrong?

You're going to want to change the 1024s to 8192s.

I'd suggest restarting your computer. It's the simple way, doesn't require you killing stuff in task manager.

voidstars.png

Actually, 4096 is what it's gonna need to be, maybe 5120. Turns out I only have 8 gigs of RAM. =P I thought I had sixteen, because I remembered that each of my RAM sticks had four times as much RAM as my old computer had total. I thought I had four sticks of four gigs, making my computer have 1 gig. Turns out, I have four sticks, but my old computer only had 512M. Should still be enough though, right?

Edit: Heck, might be two sticks of four, giving them each 8 times the RAM of my old computer. My memory is off today. >.<

I completely spaced on getting FtB over the break. Oh well. If this server does indeed end up happening, I'm going to have to request that you be very careful indeed about who is allowed what powers. BZPers are generally reasonably responsible, but that doesn't mean we haven't caused a few spectacular fiascos. A certain giant slime comes to mind. And mooshrooms spawned on the roof of the Nether in great enough quantities to cause a crash. And, well, I had a bit of a habit of transmuting bedrock to gold. And there was ToaD's fondness to tossing poison at anything that moves. Point is, we really can't be trusted.
Hey; I have done anything cra- *Recalls accidentally blowing up ET while in creative during BZPC 13* ... Okay, that was just creative and Minecraft knowledge stupidity, as I hadn't experienced desert temples before. >_>;/EDIT: Also, if I may suggest a plugin; how about MCmmo? I've played on a couple servers with it, and it can be rather fun, and allow some creative PVP usages, if we have a dedicated PVP area on this server. Edited by BZP Blade

I was thinking mostly about the shenanigans we pulled on Nav's server when we had creative/OP powers. We were more responsible than the official admins, true, but we did have a thing for explosives, cannons, cannons that fire upward, spawning creatures for no reason - I don't even remember who it was who filled Humva's arena with absurd hordes of monsters and cackled maniacally whilst ET, myself, and a couple of other people had to fight them - and generally causing low levels of mayhem. While I would trust myself to run a server as the main admin, I would not trust myself - nor any of you lot - with creative mode while the admin isn't looking.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I like the idea of MCMMO pretty well, myself. It's a cool plugin.

voidstars.png

Yeah, Acrobatics sounds like a great thing. Also, jumping off cliffs to learn how to fly sounds very Arthur Dent.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Could you, perhaps, paste in the precise text you're using at the relevant point, so that we might see precisely what's going wrong?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I, personally, would like an area devoted to Super Craft Bros--or at least, weekend tournaments (i.e. the normal map is backed up and then replaced with SCB for a day, and switched back to the normal world backup once the tourney is done). :D EDIT: FYI, Super Craft Bros is built entirely in vanilla, no plugins needed at all, just need to have command blocks enabled. ;) There's also a TF2 recreation built by the same guy that is ALSO pure Vanilla, though I think those maps can just be WorldEdited in with no consequences. ;)

As for plugins, there was a really nice one on the first server I ever played, where sticks became "magic wands" and you could cast "spells" once you find them by right-clicking bookshelves hidden around the world. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are "Sun" (if at least two players cast "Sun" at once, the time will swap from night to day or vice versa, like the Song of the Sun in Zelda), "ice" (when used on a mob--NOT players--it encased them in a cage of glass that would decay after a few minutes), "waterwalk" (water blocks temporarily turn to ice when the user is nearby, and melt back to water when they're gone), "teleport" (basically an endless Enderpearl that existed before Enderpearls did, kind of obsolete now), "light" (the block directly beneath the player temporarily turned to glowstone, except for mining purposes)...and a few more I can't really recall.

Even if that's not added, I'd REALLY like a plugin that disables mob griefing (i.e. no more holes in the landscape thanks to creepers, no more Endermen derping up redstone setups, no Wither-leveling of entire towns). Yes, I get that it's part of what makes them scary, but mob griefing is just too easy for human griefers to abuse to destroy other players' stuff while they're not online. :/

Edited by Flipz

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

I'd also suggest the Big Brother plugin. It's a bit complex, but it is magnificent in hunting down griefers. You see everything, you keep a log of everything from who destroyed blocks to who was in the area recently to who used commands, it's really just all around great for the savvy dictatorial server host.

Also, I think I know what your problem is Burnmad; try something like this: xms 1024m, xmx 4096m The reason for that is, the 'xms' is basically the minimum amount of memory used, the guaranteed "I will have this memory if I need it." The xmx is the "If I need this memory I'll probably have it."

voidstars.png

Run.bat consists of the following:

java -Xms1024M -Xmx4096M -jar craftbukkit-1.4.5-R1.0.jar -o truePAUSE

When I run run.bat, it says this:

Invalidid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096M

The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will now exit.

I have a feeling this is somthing stupid, like a typo or something. =P

Yeah, Acrobatics sounds like a great thing. Also, jumping off cliffs to learn how to fly sounds very Arthur Dent.
It is. Trust me on that. I've been doing just that on a PVP server I've been playing on. xDMake sure to keep it enabled for PVP, though, Burnmad; try not to keep it just for mobs; unarmed combat could be rather fun; see who gets one hit in. xD
Run.bat consists of the following: java -Xms1024M -Xmx4096M -jar craftbukkit-1.4.5-R1.0.jar -o truePAUSE When I run run.bat, it says this: Invalidid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096MThe specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will now exit. I have a feeling this is somthing stupid, like a typo or something. =P

Try spacing between the command and where the values are, maybe changing the first and last letters to lowercase; I dunno if it's case sensitive or not, but it might want all lower-case.