Last Book You Read

Queen of Liars

Working my way through Haruki Murakami's IQ84, translated by Jay Rubin and Phillip Gabriel. It's always interesting to read a work in translation (especially for a language you're studying), and Murakami's a heck of a writer.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

The Reversal, by Michael Connelly; the next in the Mickeky Haller series. Another amazing read, with a fantastic, fantastic court scene near the end. Quite interesting to see Haller as a prosecutor, rather than a defense attorney, but he filled the role quite well. The whole thing was extremely well-written and thought-out. Next up: The Fifth Witness.newso1.png

Edited by Cerberus

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Aand finished The Fifth Witness, by Michael Connelly last night, thus completing the Mickey Haller series (for now; he does plan to write more novels). Another excellent novel by Connelly, and I can't wait until he writes another Mickey Halley novel. Definitely gonna be reading some of his Harry Bosch series and other novels while I'm waiting. newso1.png

Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke. I'm now out of unread Clarke novels in my possession.Definitely not one to read at night, as I did - not that it's frightening by any means, but I couldn't put it down before 1:00 AM. :P

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The Mysterious Affair at StylesAgatha ChristieHercule Poirot's first book!

'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

'"In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

--- Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings

I finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin a few weeks ago. Good book, incredibly detailed. Not an "easy" read, but enjoyable if you allow yourself to get absorbed in the world. I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings and I'm enjoying it just as much, if not more. I was hoping to finish it before Season 2 starts on HBO, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I am completely absorbed by this series. Last year I really enjoyed Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I now understand why many consider Orson Scott Card to be a genius of sci-fi. I liked Ender's Game more, but both are great reads. Strong characters, gripping stories, captivating mystery. Short, great reads anyone should read. I'm also listening to The Hunger Game on audiobook. I've never listened to a book, but it's actually quite fun. I've been driving a bunch for while I've been covering my friends job and the hours have flown by. I'm almost through with the first book. I have enjoyed the story so far, but I've yet to get to a point where I'm all "OMG HUNGER GAMES." I should finish listening to it at work tomorrow.

What is dead may never die.

Finished The Poet, by Michael Connelly today. An interesting change from his Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch series, but still quite good. Kinda creepy at times, but had some awesome twists and the ending was quite satisfying. newso1.png

I just finished off The Black Prism, a christmas present I finally got around to reading, and I have to say, I didn't like it very much. It wasn't bad, but I just found it difficult to get into and most of the characters annoyed me. Brent Weeks never really explained the whole light controlling stuff too well at the beginning and I found myself "what"ing a lot. Too much. Though, that's likely just because it was me and I'm not exactly the brightest knife on the chess board.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly -- the second in the Jack McEvoy series. Dark and creepy at times, but very well written and enjoyable all the same. I like Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch better, but Connelly does a fantastic job with Jack McEvoy, too. It's interesting to see a book written from the perspective of a reporter.newso1.png

Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles B.B. Murder Cases A wonderful light novel that encourages you to think, analyze and try to solve the crimes committed in the novel all by yourself. By taking the use of complex riddles and mathematical puzzles, the protagonist Naomi Misora has to prevent the fourth and final murder from happening. It really is a genius of a book.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. That was a fantastic book, maybe the best I've ever read. It showcases the tragedy of war better than any other book I've read, and the story itself is just brilliant. Really a terrific book that I'd recommend to anyone.

I finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin a few weeks ago. Good book, incredibly detailed. Not an "easy" read, but enjoyable if you allow yourself to get absorbed in the world. I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings and I'm enjoying it just as much, if not more. I was hoping to finish it before Season 2 starts on HBO, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I am completely absorbed by this series.Last year I really enjoyed Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I now understand why many consider Orson Scott Card to be a genius of sci-fi. I liked Ender's Game more, but both are great reads. Strong characters, gripping stories, captivating mystery. Short, great reads anyone should read.I'm also listening to The Hunger Game on audiobook. I've never listened to a book, but it's actually quite fun. I've been driving a bunch for while I've been covering my friends job and the hours have flown by. I'm almost through with the first book. I have enjoyed the story so far, but I've yet to get to a point where I'm all "OMG HUNGER GAMES." I should finish listening to it at work tomorrow.

:surprised:Wow, you just listed off my reading list. I finished Game of Thrones a week ago, loved reading Ender's Game a year ago, and am planning on reading the Hunger Games soon. That's pretty creepy.-don't touch my pocket protector Edited by Toa of Nerds

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I've read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Just started Mockingjay today. Both were excellent and are highly recommended -- I was hesitant to read them at first, but I'm glad I did. Do they have the best writing? No. Are they the best books ever? No. But they were enjoyable, and they piqued my interest throughout. One thing I have to comment on is that Catching Fire's ending was simply excellent. THG left me somewhat disappointed, with an ending that wasn't much of a cliffhanger, nothing to get me overly excited to read the next book; CF, on the other hand, did give an excellent cliffhanger, causing me to want to plunge into Mockingjay as soon as possible. Both THG and CF do start out slowly, but they picked up the pace and were still enjoyable throughout. newso1.png

In the time BZPower was down:Raid on Vulcanus by Greg FarshteyThe Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino (Oh Good lord, this was absolutely amazing, I loved every page)Ocean of Blood by Darren Shan.The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.And now I'm on Frankenstein. Again. As I will be for the next two weeks, reading and revising over and over. If only it weren't so dull.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

• 5 weeks later...

The dictionary.

YES!I'm reading New Arabian Nights, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

'"In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

--- Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings

• 2 weeks later...

Ranger's Apprentice Book 9: Halt's Peril. Probably one of the most thrilling books of this series I've read. Working on Gone With The Wind now.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

The Enchantress by Michael Scott. It was an okay ending to a series that had me captivated over five years and six books... and the fact that not even two weeks passed during the entire series? Pretty awesome thrill ride.

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!

• 4 weeks later...