Doctor Who. Official!

Eh, spent all of my money on musical instruments, never had/used/intended to use iTunes. I'll just wait for it.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Here's my opinion on David Tennant. He was a good Doctor, and fit the role quite nicely. The problem was that a lot of the episodes (Fear Her, Love & Monsters, and a couple others that I forgot the names of) didn't do his character enough justice. It's a typical situation in a lot of shows; you have a character that works really well as a character, but isn't given enough good episodes for them to really shine. He really shone, though, in the specials; without a companion, just running about, having adventures by himself without having to put on a different face for someone else in the TARDIS, I think that's what made him great.

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Yes, exactly. Two or three of Tennant's episodes would have been stupid no matter who was playing the Doctor. He makes up for it by having a reasonable amount of really good episodes.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I have no objections to David Tennant. I do have objections to the apparently endless legion of fangirls he seems to have accumulated. I get it, you guys liked the Ten/Rose storyline, can we please move on now?

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

This is the only Doctor Who forum I'm on.I'm such a bad Whovian. But I can see how fangirls would go for that thing.I just liked Tennant because he made the Doctor into someone who was bubbly and energetic even in dire situations, but had a dark side that could be unlocked if the right buttons were pressed. He was instantly likeable, just as soon as I saw him push that "Big red threatening button that should not be pushed under any circumstances."

I have no objections to David Tennant. I do have objections to the apparently endless legion of fangirls he seems to have accumulated.

That sound familiar. *Pages further back in the Topic*

I have no objections to Rose. I have objections to the Ten/Rose shippers,

I liked Tennant, although I was able to skip most of his worst of the terrible episodes he's in ( Love and Monster's, Fear Her etc).

I just liked Tennant because he made the Doctor into someone who was bubbly and energetic even in dire situations, but had a dark side that could be unlocked if the right buttons were pressed. He was instantly likeable, just as soon as I saw him push that "Big red threatening button that should not be pushed under any circumstances."

The "Big red threatening button that should not be pushed under any circumstances" part and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference in that episode are what told me I was really going to like the show. Edited by BenLuke-116

I decided to be a crazy devil and bought the Series 6 soundtrack. IN A STORE! I know right, I bet there were teens everywhere filming me, laughing at the poor, helpless mook who BUYS MUSIC.But I have to say, I love this soundtrack. Everything feels fresh with it again. And Melody Pond is without a doubt such a great track.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I have no objections to David Tennant. I do have objections to the apparently endless legion of fangirls he seems to have accumulated.

That sound familiar. *Pages further back in the Topic*

I have no objections to Rose. I have objections to the Ten/Rose shippers,

Oh. Whoops! I try not to repeat myself in threads, but I post in Who threads on a couple different forums, and I must have forgotten. Sorry if I seem a little touchy on that, I have a friend who won't stop begging for Tennant to come back whenever we watch the show. Drives me up the wall.

I decided to be a crazy devil and bought the Series 6 soundtrack. IN A STORE! I know right, I bet there were teens everywhere filming me, laughing at the poor, helpless mook who BUYS MUSIC.But I have to say, I love this soundtrack. Everything feels fresh with it again. And Melody Pond is without a doubt such a great track.

Yeah, it works very well as an overall package, even if (like I said earlier... I think) there's not quite as many standout tracks as some of the other albums. Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

So, I'm drawing a picture of the TARDIS, based on the new DW logo made to look like it. I must say the rectangular panels are killer. I'm having a hard time getting them right.EDIT: Here's my TARDIS in all its monochomatic timey-wimey glory!LINK!I'm especially proud of the light effect.Not so cool on the rectangle panels. I just couldn't shape them right...I might have to give it another shot sometime.

Edited by King Joe

And thus, I have fallen in love with another track now. Room of Your Dreams is now known to all my friends as my theme, because of how frequently I will be listening to it. I have to say, all of the hotel epiosde had a pretty funky soundtrack. Overall, I wouldn't say it was a bad episode on retrospect, if let down at the end by the "It was a spaceship" finale.

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

Personally, I've warmed up to the tracks from The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, especially the suite.

So I just found this elsewhere on the internet:

Captain Jack is the Face of Boe.Captain Jack cannot die.Captain Jack was once a Time Agent, or pretends to be one.Captain Jack wears a vortex manipulator.Dorium Maldovar sold River a vortex manipulator “fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent.”Dorium Maldovar works with the Headless Monks from time to time.The Headless Monks decapitate people.The Face of Boe is a head with no body.

It all makes so much sense...-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Well, it's not absolutely certain that Jack is the Face - intentionally, actually. They want to keep that very ambiguous, so there really isn't a right or wrong answer on that.There's also the fact that the Time Agent who got de-wristed was a Time Agent when they got de-wristed, so that kind of rules out Jack. Also, the Headless Monks don't de-wrist you, they just decapitate you. It's rather more in their interests for you to keep both of your hands. Also, the Face of Boe is a really big head with little tendril thingies and all that. Plus, it died.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I recall that Julie Gardner (I think) says Jack is the Face, while Davies and...another (Barrowman himself, perhaps? Or Moffat? Not sure) won't comment either way.It's probably in The Writer's Tale somewhere, but I'm not bringing that thing out again. Not for one small scrap of information. It'll be online somewhere, though.

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

Pretty sure the whole JACK IS THE FACE OF BOE was just Davies messing around. As if he knew putting that line into an episode would make people go OH MY GOODNESS IT MUST BE TRUE LET'S DEBATE IT, when really nobody knows because Davies only put it in for a reaction.- Tilius

This. Such a very large bucket of this.We should know by now that the Doctor Who writers like yanking our chains.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I thought this was quite an interesting theory too...

1. van Gogh, as we discover in 'Vincent and the Doctor', is mad. The Master is also mad.

2. van Gogh was deeply unpopular with the local rubes. The Master was terribly charismatic and brilliant at manipulating local rubes to his advantage (cf. The Daemons'). If the Master were trying to hide his true nature, what better way than to appear deeply unpopular with the locals?

3. van Gogh could see the Krafayis when nobody else could see it. This is probably a Time Lord ability to see things nobody else can see.

4. Alternatively, a bio-upgrade of some sort given to him offscreen during 'The Mark of the Rani'.

5. No one can agree on the correct pronunciation of 'van Gogh'. Got to be an allusion to the many different names the Master has used throughout his career.

6. I seem to recall in one serial during the seventies the Master expressed an interest in painting.

7. The name 'Vincent van Gogh' is an anagram of 'Vincent van Gogh', the alias used by the Master in this story.

8.Tony Curran. Anthony 'Tony' Ainley. Do I have to spell this out, people?

9. Being a man, he's definitely not Susan, Romana, the Rani or Rose, the only other possible candidates for a character in a Doctor Who story. Although there is a slim chance he is secretly the eighth Doctor, played by Paul McGann.

10. In one of the deleted scenes for this episode, van Gogh laughs maniacally and screams, 'I am the Master', before turning into the Master.

I believe the evidence is clear.

It all adds up.

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I am ashamed to say that I got halfway through that while still taking it seriously.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

10. In one of the deleted scenes for this episode, van Gogh laughs maniacally and screams, 'I am the Master', before turning into the Master.

I believe the evidence is clear.

My god, it's been staring us in the face the whole time!

So, on the subject of the soundtrack that lasted for a couple posts... I've been re-listening to it, and I've started to like 'Definitely Going', 'Tick Tock Round the Clock', 'The Enigma of River Song', 'Tell Me Who You Are', 'Room of Your Dreams', and the obvious choices of 'The Impossible Astronaut', 'The Majestic Tale (of a Madman with a Box)', and 'Melody Pond'.

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Welp, I'm being pulled into the Doctor Who fandome now. Been watching videos based around the series like mad as of late. I even went out and bought some toys from the series (figures of the 11th Doctor and the TARDIS).Currently I'm trying to figure what episodes to seek out. I've gotten most of my choices from the latest editions of the show by now, so now I'm peeking more into the classic era. I do know I want to check out the TV Movie and "The Five Doctors" for sure, so far.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Welp, I'm being pulled into the Doctor Who fandome now. Been watching videos based around the series like mad as of late. I even went out and bought some toys from the series (figures of the 11th Doctor and the TARDIS).Currently I'm trying to figure what episodes to seek out. I've gotten most of my choices from the latest editions of the show by now, so now I'm peeking more into the classic era. I do know I want to check out the TV Movie and "The Five Doctors" for sure, so far.

I would definitely recommend The Five Doctors. Not only is it a brilliant episode (one of my favourites), I'd also consider it to be one of the best for newer viewers. I watched it a couple of days ago and it really is excellent.The TV Movie, on the other hand, I would suggest avoiding at all costs. I consider it to be one of the worst things ever to come out of Doctor Who (and there's been some pretty bad stuff). The writing's terrible, it gets just about everything completely wrong and its only redeeming feature is some of the acting (I think McGann makes a very good Doctor).Episodes I'd recommend:An Unearthly Child and/or The Daleks (Hartnell - simply to see where it all started)Tomb of the Cybermen (Troughton)Spearhead from Space and/or Terror of the Autons (Pertwee)The Daemons (Pertwee)Genesis of the Daleks (Tom Baker)Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker)The Invasion of Time (Tom Baker - very good, but be prepared it is complicated)City of Death (Tom Baker)KInda and/or Snakedance (Peter Davison)Earthshock (Peter Davison)The Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison)I really struggle to recommend any Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy, because most of those stories really weren't very good. SIlver Nemesis (McCoy) was quite good, I suppose. If you really wanted to watch some Colin Baker, I suppose Attack of the Cybermen is passable.There's a far from exhaustive list of classic episodes I consider both worth watching and (in most cases) not too long or difficult to get into. Hope that helps. And if it doesn't, consider it instead to be a list of some of my favourite episodes. :P

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Oi! McCoy had some brilliant stories, like The Greatest Show in the Galaxy or The Curse of Fenric. (Although the latter is pretty much the grand finale of his tenure, so I'd recommend watching some of his other stories first for full effect.)I'm also partial to Delta and the Bannermen as well as Dragonfire, but those two are considered "love-it-or-hate-it" stories, so... opinions may differ. :P

bug_animated.gif

SIlver Nemesis, and to a far lesser extent Remembrance of the Daleks, are the only McCoy stories I've seen which I have liked to any extent. I still consider them to be barely above average.Given that McCoy is by far my least favourite Doctor, I guess I'm kinda biased in regard to his stories (though many of them are genuinely awful).

Edited by Danska: Shadow Master

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

I'm just looking at the TV movie because I'm already thinking highly of how Paul McGann did the 8th Doctor (though if I want to hear him do more of that, I know there's some audio stories out there where he took up the role again). Plus I think I can look past most of the flaws. It seems most of them are typical TV movie issues I can get past and contiunity snarls I can most likely look past because I'm not really invested in the canon (I am aware of a good deal of them, so I'm not going to think the Doctor is half-human or whatever else that movie mentioned).BTW, how long do some of the "episodes" get? Because I keep hearing how many of them were aired as multi-parters that could take some time to view fully.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

IMO the TV Movie is pretty decent, and if I understand correctly was generally well-received in England. (Plus, the opening number is cool. I have that mixed in with my DW soundtracks.)I've been pushing through Tom Baker and have been advised to avoid most stories that have more than 4 episodes. (An exception to this being important stories like Genesis of the Daleks.)-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

IMO the TV Movie is pretty decent, and if I understand correctly was generally well-received in England. (Plus, the opening number is cool. I have that mixed in with my DW soundtracks.)I've been pushing through Tom Baker and have been advised to avoid most stories that have more than 4 episodes. (An exception to this being important stories like Genesis of the Daleks.)-CF

I might be wrong, but doesn't Talons of Weng-Chiang have more than 4 episodes? 'Cause that's a must watch. But like I say, I'm probably wrong.- Tilius
And like I said, I've been advised to avoid most stories past 4 episodes, with exceptions being important stories.(And it's 6 episodes. So less hefty than the 9-episode Genesis of the Daleks.)-CF Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

...Genesis of the Daleks is only six episodes. :huh:Also, The Seeds of Doom is also six episodes and a must-watch. You don't have to watch it all at once, though -- the first two episodes have a different setting and plot from the rest the serial, but the epic cliffhanger after part two might make you want to watch the rest immediately, so I dunno. :P

bug_animated.gif