Best Turaga Size?

Valendale

Best Turaga Size?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In 2001, we got the first small sets: the turaga. They came in three different sizes: Nuju and Onewa being taller, Matau and Whenua being very short, and Vakama and Nokama being somewhere in the middle. So I ask: Which size is best?

I started with Vakama, so I was initially partial to the medium size. Later I grabbed Nuju. As a side note, I arrange Vakama's body the opposite direction from all the other turaga.

I got Onewa at Brickfair VA, and I've been convinced of the power of the taller turaga. I passed up Matau at the same time. I always thought he and Whenua looked so silly with their tiny stature from the pictures, but I got a Matau this last weekend and the small size is growing on me. (heh)

And I think regardless of which size is your preference, it's a good thing they gave us some variety.

Edited by Valendale

I never liked how tiny the original Turaga sets were. 

The Turaga in movies were generally shown to be a little larger than the Matoran, whereas even the taller Turaga sets were still much scrawnier than any of the Matoran sets. The Dume set showcases this better, using the same build as the Metrutoran, but with Bohrok limb pieces to make it a tiny bit taller and stockier. 

• Like 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

20 hours ago, Nato G said:

The Turaga in movies were generally shown to be a little larger than the Matoran, whereas even the taller Turaga sets were still much scrawnier than any of the Matoran sets. The Dume set showcases this better, using the same build as the Metrutoran, but with Bohrok limb pieces to make it a tiny bit taller and stockier. 

That's a good point. They're super small compared to basically every other Bionicle set, especially the later ones.

Also, the same illness-induced haze that inspired me to post this topic made me overlook a few major things. I completely forgot that Onewa is actually a bushing taller than Nuju, meaning their are four distinct heights. AND I neglected to mention the different arm styles that Nokama and Nuju had! The 2001 sets sure had a lot of variation despite using the same basic builds!

LARGE AND IN CHARGE

• Like 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, Nato G said:

Turaga have always been depicted as bigger than the villagers that they were released alongside, so I am very confused by your comment.

Dume was taller than the Metrutorans like you said, and the original Turaga were also taller than the McTorans.

What's the problem?

Edited by Lorentz

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 10/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Valendale said:

Also, the same illness-induced haze that inspired me to post this topic made me overlook a few major things. I completely forgot that Onewa is actually a bushing taller than Nuju, meaning their are four distinct heights. AND I neglected to mention the different arm styles that Nokama and Nuju had! The 2001 sets sure had a lot of variation despite using the same basic builds!

Yeah I was a bit confused when I saw the options, every single 2001 Turaga has a unique build. Whenua, Vakama, and Matau all have the same leg and arm length, but varying neck positions. Nokama is identical to Vakama with the exception of her longer arms, while Nuju is identical to Nokama but with longer legs due to the single bushings added in. Onewa has the double bushings like you mentioned, but otherwise is identical to Vakama.

I like them all for the variety, don't think I actually have a specific one that's my favorite.

2 hours ago, TERIDAX941 said:

I think he's comparing the Turaga to the 2003 Matoran

That makes sense, but why? Seems like an obvious mistake.

11 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Dume was taller than the Metrutorans like you said, and the original Turaga were also taller than the McTorans.

Taller =/= bigger. 

You're right that (aside from Whenua) most of the Turaga figures work out as a little taller than the McToran (or a lot taller in Onewa's case), but the McToran are all still wider and stockier. Even then, the McToran build is meant to represent the Matoran in a diminished state from their time in the Matoran Spheres. 

Compared with the more accurately-sized 2003 or 2004 Matoran, the Turaga Metru sets are puny. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

On 10/21/2023 at 6:47 PM, Darknut said:

Nokama is identical to Vakama with the exception of her longer arms

Not quite! Vakama is very sliiiightly taller than Nokama: his neck is half a measurement longer due to using a https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32039 and a 3-axle instead of the https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6553 that Nokama and the rest use. It's barely anything, but it still adds just one more small step in their variety... which, I have to absolutely agree with you, has got to be my favourite thing about them.

If I had to pick one, Nuju would probably be my most-most favourite for being 'in the middle', height wise, between Average Vakama and Tall Onewa... but I'd like the others just a tiny bit less if they all shared his height, I feel the variety is part of what gives them such character ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

4 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Not quite! Vakama is very sliiiightly taller than Nokama: his neck is half a measurement longer due to using a https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32039 and a 3-axle instead of the https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6553 that Nokama and the rest use. It's barely anything, but it still adds just one more small step in their variety... which, I have to absolutely agree with you, has got to be my favourite thing about them.

The second I read the not quite, I immediately thought "They have different neck heights actually don't they!" Can't believe I forgot about that part, but it's been ages since I've built them haha. Yeah it's neat how with such a limited number of parts we got 6 completely unique builds!

• Upvote 1