Video Game Music

Eeko

If you're anything like me, you love video game music. Here's a good place to discuss your favorite or least favorite VGMusic.My favorites are mostly Zelda, though I do like Metroid and Donkey Kong music as well.

jlovfkk.jpg

I'm a big fan of Mega Man music, and am competing in a competition on another forum. I doubt I can mention it though :(

Ooh, yeah. Mega Man's great. I love 3's title screen.
3's ending. OH GOSH YES One of my favorites.
I have sheet music for that entire game, and it is fantastic. The ending theme is like, eight pages long.
jlovfkk.jpg

My favorite sondtracks, reposted from the archive: Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2: Really great orchestrated music, and great incorporation of "space music". Absolutely brilliant all around. Favorites: Battlerock Galaxy (SMG), Buoy Base Galaxy (SMG), Boo Waltz (SMG), Starship Mario (SMG2), Starshine Beach (SMG2), and SMG2's trailer theme.Pretty much every LoZ soundtrack: Twilight Princess is my favorite out of them all for having great compositions (despite MIDI quality), and very intelligent use of dynamic music to sync the music with the action, especially during boss battles. Majora's Mask comes really close, but it can be a bit depressing at times. Favorites: Title Theme (OoT), Title Theme (TP), Faron Woods (TP), Kakarico Village (TP), VS. Stallord (TP) Oath to Order/Calling the Four Giants (MM), Stone Tower (MM), Credits (TWW), and too many others to list.Metroid Prime series: Definitely a very unconventional soundtrack. It really helps pull the setting together with its beautiful, otherworldly feeling. The entire Prime series is awesome for this reason, but I think the first game was most memorable in this regard. Favorites: Menu/Credits (MP1), Tallon Overworld (MP1), Phendrana Drifts (MP1), Menu (MP2), Hunters (MP2), and Skytown (MP3).Super Metroid: Not really the same as Metroid Prime, but still incredible nonetheless. Many of the series' most famous tunes, and a lot of my personal favorites, came from SM. Favorites: Brinstar (both songs for green and red areas), Mirandia, and Theme of Samus Aran: Galactic Warrior (which to my knowledge is not the same song as the SSBB version, which was actually the Super Metroid main theme).Ōkami: Shame this was only mentioned twice in this topic, because I frankly cannot name a single song I know from this soundtrack that I don't like. It's all pretty much of one genre, but anything else wouldn't have suited the game. What I've heard of Ōkamiden sounds pretty good too (and surprisingly high quality for a DS game). Favorites: Kamiki Village, Ryoshima Coast, Wep'Keer (Go listen to Suleputer's piano version it's awesome), Dragon Palace, Harami Lake, Shiranui, and The Sun Rises, to name a few.Cave Story: Retro soundtrack before retro was cool. Practically every tune is insanely catchy and uses its limited 8-bit sound pallet very creatively. Favorites: Gestation, Eyes of Flame, Geothermal, Last Battle, and Running ######.World of Goo: Kind of an odd soundtrack (and not entirely original either; a lot of it was tracks that Kyle Gabler made for other soundtracks), but it still strikes me as a great soundtrack. Lots of different genres were experimented with, but they all fit their respective stages nicely. Favorites: Jelly, Rain Rain Windy Windy, Screamer, Burning Man, Cog in The Machine, and The Last of The Goo Balls and the Telescope Operator. The OST versions of these songs are better than the in-game versions for the most part (they're essentially identical, but the game versions are noticeably shorter). Gabler published the OST for free on his website if anyone here wants to hunt that down.Aaaand that's about it. There's some misc favorites of mine too but I don't feel like listing all of those too. tongue.gif

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Let me put it like this: Last time a topic like this was posted, I ended up compiling a list of video game tunes I like. It reached one and a half page in OpenOffice, and that was just my favorites. I like the music from Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario, Mega Man, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Cave Story, Team Fortress, Touhou, Pokémon, Pikmin, and plenty of other games. I love video games. :D

My favorite sondtracks, reposted from the archive: Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2: Really great orchestrated music, and great incorporation of "space music". Absolutely brilliant all around. Favorites: Battlerock Galaxy (SMG), Buoy Base Galaxy (SMG), Boo Waltz (SMG), Starship Mario (SMG2), Starshine Beach (SMG2), and SMG2's trailer theme.Pretty much every LoZ soundtrack: Twilight Princess is my favorite out of them all for having great compositions (despite MIDI quality), and very intelligent use of dynamic music to sync the music with the action, especially during boss battles. Majora's Mask comes really close, but it can be a bit depressing at times. Favorites: Title Theme (OoT), Title Theme (TP), Faron Woods (TP), Kakarico Village (TP), VS. Stallord (TP) Oath to Order/Calling the Four Giants (MM), Stone Tower (MM), Credits (TWW), and too many others to list.Metroid Prime series: Definitely a very unconventional soundtrack. It really helps pull the setting together with its beautiful, otherworldly feeling. The entire Prime series is awesome for this reason, but I think the first game was most memorable in this regard. Favorites: Menu/Credits (MP1), Tallon Overworld (MP1), Phendrana Drifts (MP1), Menu (MP2), Hunters (MP2), and Skytown (MP3).Super Metroid: Not really the same as Metroid Prime, but still incredible nonetheless. Many of the series' most famous tunes, and a lot of my personal favorites, came from SM. Favorites: Brinstar (both songs for green and red areas), Mirandia, and Theme of Samus Aran: Galactic Warrior (which to my knowledge is not the same song as the SSBB version, which was actually the Super Metroid main theme).Ōkami: Shame this was only mentioned twice in this topic, because I frankly cannot name a single song I know from this soundtrack that I don't like. It's all pretty much of one genre, but anything else wouldn't have suited the game. What I've heard of Ōkamiden sounds pretty good too (and surprisingly high quality for a DS game). Favorites: Kamiki Village, Ryoshima Coast, Wep'Keer (Go listen to Suleputer's piano version it's awesome), Dragon Palace, Harami Lake, Shiranui, and The Sun Rises, to name a few.Cave Story: Retro soundtrack before retro was cool. Practically every tune is insanely catchy and uses its limited 8-bit sound pallet very creatively. Favorites: Gestation, Eyes of Flame, Geothermal, Last Battle, and Running ######.World of Goo: Kind of an odd soundtrack (and not entirely original either; a lot of it was tracks that Kyle Gabler made for other soundtracks), but it still strikes me as a great soundtrack. Lots of different genres were experimented with, but they all fit their respective stages nicely. Favorites: Jelly, Rain Rain Windy Windy, Screamer, Burning Man, Cog in The Machine, and The Last of The Goo Balls and the Telescope Operator. The OST versions of these songs are better than the in-game versions for the most part (they're essentially identical, but the game versions are noticeably shorter). Gabler published the OST for free on his website if anyone here wants to hunt that down.Aaaand that's about it. There's some misc favorites of mine too but I don't feel like listing all of those too. tongue.gif

I really like the depressing tone of Majora's Mask music. It sets the stage for the game really well.On the subject of Metroid, I loved the tunnel theme in Metroid II.
jlovfkk.jpg

Let me put it like this: Last time a topic like this was posted, I ended up compiling a list of video game tunes I like. It reached one and a half page in OpenOffice, and that was just my favorites. I like the music from Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario, Mega Man, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Cave Story, Team Fortress, Touhou, Pokémon, Pikmin, and plenty of other games. I love video games. :D

I only just started playing Chrono Trigger, and I'm already in love with the music.
jlovfkk.jpg

First one that came to mind: the Professor Layton soundtracks all fit well in the game, but each one also has an amazing orchestral piece that's just outstanding on its own. Look them up some time. That random one aside, I have a frankly ridiculous amount of game music collected from over the years. A lot of it's from Eastern games, but there's also things like the soundtracks from Mass Effect and Heavy Rain.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I only just started playing Chrono Trigger, and I'm already in love with the music.

You will still love it by the time you're done, I assure you. :) If you haven't heard the Chrono Symphonic remix album, I suggest you Google it after you've played the game. A few track titles/descriptions hold spoilers, you see. The wish I could link you to a certain great remix site, but it's got forums. You can find it via Chrono Symphonic, though.EDIT: Or I could just PM the link to anyone who wants it. :P Edited by Katuko

I'm a big fan of the Battlefield soundtracks...Specifically, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.

Yeah, I really really liked 2142's soundtrack. Minsk was my most played song on my iPod/iTunes for a while. Haha, it's still #5. Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

You will still love it by the time you're done, I assure you. :) If you haven't heard the Chrono Symphonic remix album, I suggest you Google it after you've played the game. A few track titles/descriptions hold spoilers, you see. The wish I could link you to a certain great remix site, but it's got forums. You can find it via Chrono Symphonic, though.EDIT: Or I could just PM the link to anyone who wants it. :P
I listened to Zelda Symphonic Legends, but I promised myself I wouldn't listen to Chrono's until I heard the originals.
jlovfkk.jpg

I'm a big fan of Mega Man music, and am competing in a competition on another forum. I doubt I can mention it though :(

Mega-man battle network 3FTW oh, and portal 2

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I'm a big fan of the Battlefield soundtracks...Specifically, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.

Yeah, I really really liked 2142's soundtrack. Minsk was my most played song on my iPod/iTunes for a while. Haha, it's still #5.
Minsk was good! I also like Belgrade and Verdun... and don't forget Wake 2142.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Mega-man battle network 3FTW oh, and portal 2
BN3's music is some of the best, thought I like BN1's music better. Oh, and PotatOS Lament. X3

Ooh, yeah. Mega Man's great. I love 3's title screen.
3's ending. OH GOSH YES One of my favorites.
I have sheet music for that entire game, and it is fantastic. The ending theme is like, eight pages long.
Mega Man 2 and 3 have some of the best video game music ever composed, in my opinion. And just look at all the derivatives they've spawned. Others I really like are from Golden Sun and Bioshock. -ck
I personally prefer the soundtracks to 10, 9, and the gameboy game V. Just me, though.

I adore Yoko Shimomura. Are you familiar with her other work?

When I picked up Radiant Historia I was pleasantly surprised to see she was the composer for it. Never played the Kingdom Hearts games, but Super Mario RPG (and its soundtracK) have a special place in my heart. Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

I've got all the Halo tracks and I love them, especially ODST. I think I got a copy of the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack when I got the game on Steam but I haven't gone looking for it yet. I just recently got the Bastion soundtrack and it has some really great ambient music, and three nice vocal tracks (and one vocal track I always skip. :P).

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

When I picked up Radiant Historia I was pleasantly surprised to see she was the composer for it. Never played the Kingdom Hearts games, but Super Mario RPG (and its soundtracK) have a special place in my heart.

I've greatly enjoyed Radiant Historia's soundtrack, though I feel a few tracks play too frequently. Legend of Mana is another excellent soundtrack of Shimomura's, I am especially fond of the title theme. Edited by PianoOnWheels

I've greatly enjoyed Radiant Historia's soundtrack, though I feel a few tracks play too frequently. Legend of Mana is another excellent soundtrack of Shimomura's, I am especially fond of the title theme.

Yeah, I felt the same way. The "sadness" track in particular was played about a thousand times, even though there was that other depressing track that only played once or twice. I haven't heard Legend of Mana's, but Shimomura is really quite excellent.

Yeah, I felt the same way. The "sadness" track in particular was played about a thousand times, even though there was that other depressing track that only played once or twice. I haven't heard Legend of Mana's, but Shimomura is really quite excellent.

It is a great piece, but it's effect is certainly lessened by its persistent recycling. I'd recommend you take a look, specifically the orchestrations on the Drammatica album, and yes, she is. On a different note, are any of you familiar with the soundtrack to Suikoden Tierkreis? The spin-off to the Suikoden series is on the Nintendo DS and the quality of the soundtrack, both musically and technically, is astounding for the handheld. "The Plain and the Sky;" with excellent use of percussion and a unique ethnic feel, "Sally Beacon;" the rousing theme of the preparation for battle, and "Porpoise's Home;" a waltz with a certain magical flair, are some of the best on the album to anyone interested.

Metroid Prime Trilogy. Metroid Prime Trilogy. Metroid Prime Trilogy. Best video game music I've heard by far. Other than that, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has some very good themes as well, such as Ukanlos, Kushala Daora, and White Fatalis battle themes. The Ukanlos one in particular really captures the feel of fighting a creature revered as a deity. Oh, yes, and Super Robot Wars OG2 also has its share of memorable themes, including Fight for Tomorrow, The Examiner, and The Violent Four. ~B~

Edited by Ballom