What Are The Bionicle Books Like?

CeeCee

I'm 16. I never really got massively into the Bionicle story but I always wanted too. i have tried the comics but I read the first book years ago and I realized they missed a fair bit out. I often find books the best way to learn a story any way. So how are they to read. Would they be to childish for my age. How are they written? I'm not expecting Shakespeare but I don't want it to be difficult to read becuase its so bad. Can any one help me please?Thanks for reading.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

They're okay (The ones written by Farshtey, anyhow), not really great, but at least they're better then the comics ever were (Oh, Bionicle comics, how many rules of good storytelling you ignored). The books are aimed at younger readers, sure, so the prose is pretty basic and they're really, really thin, but if you're able to except that you might find them enjoyable. :shrugs:At least the dialogue is less painfully corny then in the comics.

Edited by BenLuke-116

I personally loved the books, especially once the mask of life saga began (actually i take that back, time trap, the book right before the mask of life saga is where they get good). The first three by Hapaka are a bit of a drag. you can see they are very clearly a younger read, and they do conflict a bit with Greg Farshtey's cannon, but once you get to Farshtey's books, i really think they are worth reading. while they were probably aimed at a slightly younger audience, I never felt like i was reading a silly kids book. Greg does a great job of keeping it readable for all age groups (and thats coming from someone whose been interested in Bionicle form age 7 to age 18 :D ) I'd recommend you read them! although, the real stuff is the online story serials, they were pretty amazing, though i'd say get to know the story well before you start them, they can get pretty in depth. So yea, thats my analysis of Bionicle literature in a paragraph! hope it helps!

I personally loved the books, especially once the mask of life saga began (actually i take that back, time trap, the book right before the mask of life saga is where they get good). The first three by Hapaka are a bit of a drag. you can see they are very clearly a younger read, and they do conflict a bit with Greg Farshtey's cannon, but once you get to Farshtey's books, i really think they are worth reading. while they were probably aimed at a slightly younger audience, I never felt like i was reading a silly kids book. Greg does a great job of keeping it readable for all age groups (and thats coming from someone whose been interested in Bionicle form age 7 to age 18 :biggrin: ) I'd recommend you read them! although, the real stuff is the online story serials, they were pretty amazing, though i'd say get to know the story well before you start them, they can get pretty in depth. So yea, thats my analysis of Bionicle literature in a paragraph! hope it helps!
I read tale of the toa years ago. Should I just go directly onto Greg's books or read thee first 3 first?

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I personally loved the books, especially once the mask of life saga began (actually i take that back, time trap, the book right before the mask of life saga is where they get good). The first three by Hapaka are a bit of a drag. you can see they are very clearly a younger read, and they do conflict a bit with Greg Farshtey's cannon, but once you get to Farshtey's books, i really think they are worth reading. while they were probably aimed at a slightly younger audience, I never felt like i was reading a silly kids book. Greg does a great job of keeping it readable for all age groups (and thats coming from someone whose been interested in Bionicle form age 7 to age 18 :biggrin: ) I'd recommend you read them! although, the real stuff is the online story serials, they were pretty amazing, though i'd say get to know the story well before you start them, they can get pretty in depth. So yea, thats my analysis of Bionicle literature in a paragraph! hope it helps!
I read tale of the toa years ago. Should I just go directly onto Greg's books or read thee first 3 first?
Nothing important happens in the first 3 that hasn't also appeared a zillion times in other Bionicle media. But if you missed the comics and stuff, you might want to start from the beginning.

aouROFb.png

Nothing important happens in the first 3 that hasn't also appeared a zillion times in other Bionicle media. But if you missed the comics and stuff, you might want to start from the beginning.
yea, if you really wanna know the story of the first book atleast, skip it and play the mata nui online game from 2001! :D its alot more entertainong, and you can share in the nostalgia that we die-hard fans all know and love. haha but in all seriousness, the first 3 book stories and years for that matter are pretty simple. unlike the later bionicle story, things like comics and flash videos can tell the story pretty much just as well as a book

yea, if you really wanna know the story of the first book atleast, skip it and play the mata nui online game from 2001! :biggrin: its alot more entertainong, and you can share in the nostalgia that we die-hard fans all know and love. haha but in all seriousness, the first 3 book stories and years for that matter are pretty simple. unlike the later bionicle story, things like comics and flash videos can tell the story pretty much just as well as a book
Okay, thanks man!

Yeah, most of them are very good. Provide some very good detail into the storyline, and they're very entertaining. I definitely recommend them. :)And especially nowadays you can pick them up for very cheap. For example, last year, I picked one up in a bookstore for about $4.00 USD, and they're likely cheaper on eBay and the like.

Edited by Nuparu1995

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I loved the Bionicle books. Yeah, they're not high literature by any means. But neither are they sloppy adaptations of other story media; especially in the later years, the books were the best source of story hands-down.Like others have suggested, start with the ones written by Greg. Chronicles #1, #2, and #3 were written by Cathy Hapka, who never really understood the Bionicle storyline. She also wrote the Mask of Light adaptation, which should only be read if you want a laugh. Greg started on the books at Chronicles #4, and continued to do the entire Metru Nui arc and everything afterwards.Bionicle Adventures is the first series done by Greg from start to finish. Adventures #1 and #2 are pretty forgettable, since they only really depict the events from the 2004 comics (although in a more detailed and easier-to-follow format). Adventures # 3 was an original story, and was where Greg's writing really began to hit its stride. Adventures #4 was essentially just an adaptation of Legends of Metru Nui, and can be skipped if you remember the events of that movie. Adventures #5 and #6 bridge the gap between 2004 and 2005, and are some of the first books where Greg really got a chance to break free of the pre-written story. #7 and #8 relate the 2005 story but do so much better than the comics or movie did. #9 is another adaptation, this time of Web of Shadows; you can be forgiven for skipping it. Adventures #10, Time Trap, is another bridge novel, and is the first time Greg's characterization of Makuta Teridax really clicks. The Bionicle Legends series is pretty great from start to finish.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I loved the Bionicle books. Yeah, they're not high literature by any means. But neither are they sloppy adaptations of other story media; especially in the later years, the books were the best source of story hands-down.Like others have suggested, start with the ones written by Greg. Chronicles #1, #2, and #3 were written by Cathy Hapka, who never really understood the Bionicle storyline. She also wrote the Mask of Light adaptation, which should only be read if you want a laugh. Greg started on the books at Chronicles #4, and continued to do the entire Metru Nui arc and everything afterwards.Bionicle Adventures is the first series done by Greg from start to finish. Adventures #1 and #2 are pretty forgettable, since they only really depict the events from the 2004 comics (although in a more detailed and easier-to-follow format). Adventures # 3 was an original story, and was where Greg's writing really began to hit its stride. Adventures #4 was essentially just an adaptation of Legends of Metru Nui, and can be skipped if you remember the events of that movie. Adventures #5 and #6 bridge the gap between 2004 and 2005, and are some of the first books where Greg really got a chance to break free of the pre-written story. #7 and #8 relate the 2005 story but do so much better than the comics or movie did. #9 is another adaptation, this time of Web of Shadows; you can be forgiven for skipping it. Adventures #10, Time Trap, is another bridge novel, and is the first time Greg's characterization of Makuta Teridax really clicks. The Bionicle Legends series is pretty great from start to finish.
Im so glad Greg did all of the Metru Nui stuff. Call me mad but i think it was best story ark out of all of them.

Im so glad Greg did all of the Metru Nui stuff. Call me mad but i think it was best story ark out of all of them.
Metru nui?! youve gone mad! haha, just kidding. While i wasnt a huge metru nui fan, the metru nui based books voyage of fear and time trap (both bridge stories) were easily someof my favorites. Greg did a good job expanding. He also did a very good job during the visorak/2005 story line too. the books were very good and set the eerie abandoned city mood quite well!

Metru nui?! youve gone mad! haha, just kidding. While i wasnt a huge metru nui fan, the metru nui based books voyage of fear and time trap (both bridge stories) were easily someof my favorites. Greg did a good job expanding. He also did a very good job during the visorak/2005 story line too. the books were very good and set the eerie abandoned city mood quite well!
I dont know. I really liked the 2005 sets. Besides the arms of the Hordika. They sucked

I dont know. I really liked the 2005 sets. Besides the arms of the Hordika. They sucked
true that! and no, i actually really did like some 2005 stuff like the visorak, even if they were "clones" as some would say. and the rahaga have a special place in my heart as christmas stocking stuffers with entertaining shooting spinners too haha. OH and the toa hagah they were just flat out amazing in my opinion!

Greg's writing wasn't deep, moving, soul-wrenching writing, but few things exist that are. He is a good writer, better than I am for sure.The best was the Bionicle Ignition series. It details 2006-2008, the best, darkest, deepest, and most explosive part of Bionicle.
yeah i mean in that saga the Toa"supposedly the strongest toa around"nuva nearly got killed there.

I've read all of the Chronicles, Adventures, and Legends books, and found them all enjoyable. They are aimed at a younger audience (the recommended age is 10 or so), but they are pretty enjoyable. Also, they are pretty shot reads, with print about twice as big as regular books, and they are all around 100 pages (so about 50 regular-print sized pages), and each one took me about 45 minutes to read.So all in all, your books are your best bet at getting the entire Bionicle storyline, although to finish it off you'll need to read the seven Glatorian comics, which, in my opinion, that is the best comic arc, both story-wise and art-wise.

Edited by Terminus

They're a very short read, but enjoyable nonetheless. There are some quotes you could always memorise, just for the fun of it. There are even funny quips and the drama certainly fits in perfectly well. Now, if they were larger like let's say, the Percy Jackson series, it may become a more teenage-adult oriented book. The best part about the books is that it works for all ages. I started my first book when I was 8 or 9 and I understood everything perfectly well. Of course, the 2009 arc was just confusing for younger readers with all then plot twists, but that's an entirely different story altogether.

The books are great. You can read them all, from the first published to the last, and understand the story pretty well. The problems are at the beginning and the end; at the end, there are no books, and at the beginning, the books are a bit off. I'm gonna do some shameless self-plugging here and suggest you take a look at the link in my sig if you are interested in following the Bionicle story. There's just so much content, but you shouldn't skip any of it. I highly recommend taking on the entire franchise, rather than trying to make do with just the comics and movies.

Edited by Zestanor

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

I am glad that I got into the storyline early. but then I kinda went crazy. I now own all the chronicles, MoL conversion, all the adventures (time trap is pretty epic), and all the legends exept for three, from the end of the Mahri line and the beginning of the Karda Nui stuff. As others have said, it is a wuick read. It is not unreasonable if one focusses to read all of them in a week.I personally like some of the other books as well. I have the dark hunters MOC book, the Rahi MOC book, the encyclopedia (somewhat outdated), and the older atlas, which is less of a map and more of a travel guide. The pictures in these books are nice IMO, letting you visualize things the way farshtey does when he mentions then in-story (sometimes it makes things make more sense).

atvan

I'd describe the books as a nice bit of nostalgia. A little while ago I purchased the first three by Hapka (as I had never read them before) and I was pretty happy with the stories and general style the Bionicle tale was told in. It was simple, yes, but they had a very nice charm to them in my opinion. Granted a lot of people here for whatever reason seem to despise Hapka, so I'm in the minority there I guess. Though, as said previously, I would recommend Time Trap if you're looking for an interesting story from the Bionicle series. The others aren't bad, but reading about Vakama taking on Makuta, Voporak and TSO is pretty epic.

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of the Breeze

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Speaking of Time Trap, I can't find it in any bookstores or the library. Gaah!
Was going to link you to Amazon, but you probably don't want to pay $85 for it.(here's the link anyways)Only book I'm missing is the first one and the TLR book (which I don't really want). I really, really want to get all the old comics..
What the -- ?What fool would think that someone would buy a cheap Bionicle book for 85 bucks?

Was going to link you to Amazon, but you probably don't want to pay $85 for it.(here's the link anyways)Only book I'm missing is the first one and the TLR book (which I don't really want). I really, really want to get all the old comics..
What the -- ?What fool would think that someone would buy a cheap Bionicle book for 85 bucks?
I don't know. That is quite ridiculous. On the other hand, it has used copies starting at one cent!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't know. That is quite ridiculous. On the other hand, it has used copies starting at one cent!
Those copies must be very, very used. I'll look into it, though. Nothing to lose.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Those copies must be very, very used. I'll look into it, though. Nothing to lose.
Except one cent.

Except one cent.
A penny saved is a penny earned, my boy.There's some ones on eBay for around $2, probably in good condition.

Except one cent.
A penny saved is a penny earned, my boy.There's some ones on eBay for around $2, probably in good condition.
Well, I know I have plenty of pennies, so I'll try it.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

They are masterpieces of contemporary American literature.I'm just kidding, obviously. :P If you were like me and read them when you were young, they were pretty darn cool. If I read them now, I wouldn't be as satisfied, obviously, because my tastes have changed with age.-SK

Edited by XII. Larxene

I still love them. The only one I have never read is Time Trap, I think....Which I unfortunate because everyone here seems to really like it.But I would recommend them if you read them for the story and can bypass some of the simplicity.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

I think I stopped reading the books after the Hordika plot. Are the ones after that good at all? Worth reading? I probably won't go out and buy any of them, but I always wondered if the rest were any good. Time Trap will always be my favorite though.
Depends on what you think of the 2006 & onward story. Honestly, I think Bionicle Legends #1 and especially #2 are the best books of them all. I love how they don't conform to the exhausted Bionicle formula of "Bad guys for half a year, good guys for half a year." Greg was great at making side plots, but these two books took what might as well have been side plots, and shoved them front and center into the main 2006 story.Unfortunately, none of the plot points of Bionicle Legends 1 & 2 translated into the comics, because these books included too many non-set characters. So story essential subjects like Mata is dying! and The Toa Nuva are back! and Jaller and co. didn't just teleport to Voya Nui! are glossed over, leaving the comics from 2006... well, useless for story following purposes.So, I would highly suggest Bionicle Legends 1 and 2. Bionicle Legends 4 is also intriguing, because it is a flashback novel."You don't have to be a Toa to be a hero." Edited by Zestanor

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

I think I stopped reading the books after the Hordika plot. Are the ones after that good at all? Worth reading? I probably won't go out and buy any of them, but I always wondered if the rest were any good. Time Trap will always be my favorite though.
Depends on what you think of the 2006 & onward story. Honestly, I think Bionicle Legends #1 and especially #2 are the best books of them all. I love how they don't conform to the exhausted Bionicle formula of "Bad guys for half a year, good guys for half a year." Greg was great at making side plots, but these two books took what might as well have been side plots, and shoved them front and center into the main 2006 story.Unfortunately, none of the plot points of Bionicle Legends 1 & 2 translated into the comics, because these books included too many non-set characters. So story essential subjects like Mata is dying! and The Toa Nuva are back! and Jaller and co. didn't just teleport to Voya Nui! are glossed over, leaving the comics from 2006... well, useless for story following purposes.So, I would highly suggest Bionicle Legends 1 and 2. Bionicle Legends 4 is also intriguing, because it is a flashback novel."You don't have to be a Toa to be a hero."
This. The ones about the Barraki (or whatever that year was called, I don't remember) are also really good, it made 2007 a better year.Lord, now I'm tempted to go start reading these..

Personally, I love Greg's books. I got the four first Bionicle Legends novels in early 2009 and I still re-read them again and again. They're a bit short, but detailed, especially the fourth one which is a flashback of the Piraka's history (probably my favourite). So yeah if you can get some of them do it.

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

PBZPs in the Archives: A B C C F H K L N P P S T
New Forums PBZPs: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T T U V W X Y Z

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!