MU map locations

I was looking at the map of the MU, and some things about it struck me. For one, in Federation of Fear, Trinuma and Botar put the weapons cache on Tren Krom's Island, Mata Nui's right hand. To get there, Brutaka would have to travel from Daxia all the way across the Southern Continent, make a turn west at stelt, pass be the Northern Continent and Artakha, and go down all of Mata Nui's right arm, and then go back the same way they came, and then travel down Mata Nui's right leg until they came to Artidax! Wouldn't it have been easier for the Order to put the weapons on the southern Continent? Also, islands of secret locations such as Artakha and Odina seem less secret now that we know where they are. Artakha would probably stay hidden a little longer because who pays Tren Krom visits? Odina however, is on the way to Nynrah, so if you had a deal with the Nynrah Ghosts, you would probably pass by the Dar Hunter Base. A third thing, they said that the inhabitants of the MU thought that Karsahni was a legend, but you have to pass by his island simply to get to Metru Nui from the rest of the MU! Any thoughts on this?

For one, in Federation of Fear, Trinuma and Botar put the weapons cache on Tren Krom's Island, Mata Nui's right hand. To get there, Brutaka would have to travel from Daxia all the way across the Southern Continent, make a turn west at stelt, pass be the Northern Continent and Artakha, and go down all of Mata Nui's right arm, and then go back the same way they came, and then travel down Mata Nui's right leg until they came to Artidax! Wouldn't it have been easier for the Order to put the weapons on the southern Continent?
The island that came into view was little more than a piece of barren rock. It was not the original site for this meeting, but plans had changed. Two Order of Mata Nui members, Botar and the nine-foot tall warrior named Trinuma, had been dispatched with a cache of weapons for a rendezvous on a small, wooded island just off the mainland. But a Makuta named Icarax had spotted their appearance and attacked. The fight was furious, but brief. Botar was slain, crushed by the Makuta’s magnetic power, and Trinuma barely escaped to tell the tale. In desperation, he stored the weapons at the first place he came to before returning to Daxia with the tragic news.
So, they would have put the weapons on a wooded island off the coast of the Southern Continent, except for the change of plans. The reason that they tried to put the weapons there instead of on the Southern Continent itself was probably for additional secrecy and security. And it wasn't planned to put the weapons down there; the agents that were supposed to put the weapons there were attacked.
Odina however, is on the way to Nynrah, so if you had a deal with the Nynrah Ghosts, you would probably pass by the Dar Hunter Base. A third thing, they said that the inhabitants of the MU thought that Karsahni was a legend, but you have to pass by his island simply to get to Metru Nui from the rest of the MU! Any thoughts on this?
I'm going to theorize that those two islands had walls or camoflaging systems to disguise their true essence. People who passed by either island would know that the island was there, but not that Karzanhi was there or that it was a Dark Hunter base. The fortresses and strange things could be hidden by rocky outcroppings or even trees.

I'm going to theorize that those two islands had walls or camoflaging systems to disguise their true essence. People who passed by either island would know that the island was there, but not that Karzanhi was there or that it was a Dark Hunter base. The fortresses and strange things could be hidden by rocky outcroppings or even trees.
Odina would also remain hidden because visitors would not be able to leave the island (because they would be dead or for other reasons) or they would not wish to speak of their discovery out of fear of Dark Hunter retaliation. Also, passing Odina doesn't guarantee that you will see the base, as, in addition to the other potential visual obstructions that fishers64 stated, it's on a plateau. However, if travellers did see the base, they wouldn't have necessarily known that it was the Dark Hunters': I doubt that they had a big sign announcing the groups' presence. :P Edited by Infrared

But Tren Krom's Island is much farther away from the southern continent than Daxia is. Wouldn't it have been easier to just go back to daxia, or to somewhere closer like Xia or Zakaz?
It's where Trinuma ended up after being chased by Icarax and Botar's death. He didn't want to run around with valuable weapons that could get stolen, so he left them on the island.

Whenever I want to see what MU looks on the inside, I take a look at this picture. Much more logical, clear, and canon (I know, it's strange how a fan-made image represents canon more than the official one) than the one on the Makuta's Guide.First, the case of hiding equipment in Tren Krom's island. Yes, it's far from Daxia, but it was all done because of secrecy. Who would look there? And as someone pointed out, there were obstacles with the plan.Then the thing about Odina. How do we know if anyone ever visited Nynrah? I always imagined that the Dark Hunters were Nynrah's only, if frequent, customers. I know the Brotherhood of Makuta also did business with them, but then again, they were allied with the Dark Hunters for a long time. I think the Nynrah Matoran were sort of "trapped" on their own little island.Then Kazahni. As you can see from the image that I linked, there are a total of three sea gates from Metru Nui to other lands. One was a mysterious gateway, where people disappeared when they entered it. So why use a clearly dangerous route? The other two sea gates were used instead.

Toatapio Nuva, glad to see that people like my work, here is a much better updated version of my map that is far better by comparison to the one that you linked. That version is actually pretty old, and the one that I linked I uploaded just now so that you guys could see an up-to-date version.As for Constructman's questions, really all I can say it that there isn't much of an in-story explanation. When Greg was writing these stories and making up most of these locations, there was no official map yet, and then when Lego finally decided to release a map, I get the feeling that Greg didn't have much input into it, and so they just threw labels on a bunch of random locations that didn't really make much sense for the storyline. We can try to come up with all the storyline reasons that we want, but the events of Federation of Fear will never make much sense geographically-wise. Other things such as having to sail past Odina and places like that can be explained how people in this topic have surmised, and that just because you pass an island, it doesn't necessarily know that you know what it is. Also, the seas around the islands in the domes are big enough that you may not even sail close enough to a place like Odina on the way to Nynrah to even see it. As for Karzahni, I think Toatapio Nuva is right, if you hear bad things about a specific route, you are like to avoid it.

To get there, Brutaka would have to travel
First of all, doesn't it make sense to hide a cache in a place that's hard to get to? And I may be forgetting some change, but Brutaka has an Olmak. He can just go there directly.
Wouldn't it have been easier for the Order to put the weapons on the southern Continent?
Yes, but ease of hiding something is not the only concern. They may have concluded it would be less likely anyone would accidently find it.
Also, islands of secret locations such as Artakha and Odina seem less secret now that we know where they are. Artakha would probably stay hidden a little longer because who pays Tren Krom visits? Odina however, is on the way to Nynrah, so if you had a deal with the Nynrah Ghosts, you would probably pass by the Dar Hunter Base.
I do agree with this. I guess we can theorize that they tended to follow the inner walls of the dome's barriers rather than straight paths, perhaps to aid navigation. Or perhaps they knew there were islands there but believed them to be uninhabited for some reason. (Maybe... :P)
A third thing, they said that the inhabitants of the MU thought that Karsahni was a legend, but you have to pass by his island simply to get to Metru Nui from the rest of the MU!
Yes, I've posted a theory about this before. Notice the giant robot has two tubes on the left and right of his neck. I've proposed that two tunnels go through those between the Metru Nui dome and the dome(s) in the chest. Thus, the plural label "sea gates" for Metru Nui's dome probably means two separate gates.
I'm going to theorize that those two islands had walls or camoflaging systems to disguise their true essence.
Makes sense. Could be a power applied to the whole thing.Perhaps some sort of "cloak" device Artakha made. His mask would enable him to. I would lean towards something that both cloaked it invisibly and telepathically made navigators not sail in exactly a straight line (perhaps even fooling them into thinking they were).
Also, passing Odina doesn't guarantee that you will see the base, as, in addition to the other potential visual obstructions that fishers64 stated, it's on a plateau.
Makes sense; I was thinking the base would be hidden too. Forgot about the plateau.Perhaps also these "hidden" islands are simply not centered in their domes?Those maps are awesome. I was kicking around doing something like that myself, and I think I agree with most of the layout. I would keep each island in its own dome in the arms, though, and not sure the southern continent should be in the chest. Does fit its size better though. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Those maps are awesome. I was kicking around doing something like that myself, and I think I agree with most of the layout. I would keep each island in its own dome in the arms, though, and not sure the southern continent should be in the chest. Does fit its size better though. :shrugs:
Thanks Bones, I thought that officially the southern continent was placed in the chest of the robot, because Karda Nui is supposed to be directly beneath the southern continent, and we know that Karda Nui is in the chest, also since it's the heart. I know that the one official map does make the continent seem more like the robot's hips, but I think that the official map wasn't something thought through very thoroughly. I imagine it basically being a corporate Lego or Bionicle guy saying to an artist "here, make a collection of islands that makes the basic shape of a humanoid, and then also throw in the shapes of these islands that we've already made, and then after that we'll add some names onto some of the little islands like Nynrah and Artidax." As for having individual domes for each island, I know that how it officially is, although exactly how they are organized we don't know, but I originally had it designed like that but it was just really hard to fit in that many domes and place the islands with enough room in each one, plus I just like it better with big domes for each major body part or joint in the robot which would make more sense to me. Anyways, thanks for liking my work.Also Bones, if you don't mind sharing, I'd like to see the ideas that you were working with for a Matoran Universe map, I always like seeing how other people interpret it to look and sometimes I find a good idea that I'll then try to incorporate into my own design.

Do we know that Karda Nui is in the chest? Most people on the old forums seemed to assume it was lower down. (And a lot raised that as a criticism due to the "heart" thing, to which many others pointed out that it's a robot made by aliens who might not have hearts where we do.)

I know that the one official map does make the continent seem more like the robot's hips, but I think that the official map wasn't something thought through very thoroughly. I imagine it basically being a corporate Lego or Bionicle guy saying to an artist "here, make a collection of islands that makes the basic shape of a humanoid, and then also throw in the shapes of these islands that we've already made, and then after that we'll add some names onto some of the little islands like Nynrah and Artidax."
I definitely agree with this. If you simply overlay the map we were given onto a front view of the giant robot, it's immediately obvious it's impossible, so I think it just shows rough scale of the islands to each other and their general locations. And yeah, it looks really hard to fit the southern continent anywhere but where you put it, heh. Especially seeing it actually put together like that.
As for having individual domes for each island, I know that how it officially is, although exactly how they are organized we don't know, but I originally had it designed like that but it was just really hard to fit in that many domes and place the islands with enough room in each one, plus I just like it better with big domes for each major body part or joint in the robot which would make more sense to me.
Well, it's valid. I just would go with the best theory we have which is individual domes. They would still be grouped closer in each arm segment. Actually, is the number of main islands even the same for right and left?*checks*Alright, I guess technically that's the same number. There's also those two islands in the right leg (viewer's left) side-by-side to support the multiple island thing. I guess the main thing is that it makes the term "dome" only apply to Metru Nui technically, which is inconvenient.Also not sure about Karzahni there; whether it should have a dome or the like.
Also Bones, if you don't mind sharing, I'd like to see the ideas that you were working with for a Matoran Universe map, I always like seeing how other people interpret it to look and sometimes I find a good idea that I'll then try to incorporate into my own design.
I never actually got around to making anything. Just had the image in my head. The main thing I wanted to do with it was put circles for domes for most of them, and to use the tubes as you did.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Lord Bane's map is awesome. Maybe you two could work on something together -- come up with what's most lore-accurate between you.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I always thought that there was somehow a way to sail west and go through Mata Nui's walls and into his arms, but now that I think about, it seems less plausible.
Only if there was a teleportation portal or the like. (Otherwise it's impossible.) Edited by bonesiii