Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

Well I got the parts I needed to make Breeze from Pick a Brick it's not 100% how the set should look but it's how I would have modified her come this summer. $25 well spent.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

It's a shame Breez isn't coming out in the US until summer. LEGO is starting to go the way of Hasbro by delaying the release of certain products.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

It's a shame Breez isn't coming out in the US until summer. LEGO is starting to go the way of Hasbro by delaying the release of certain products.

Starting to? They've been doing this for at least three years. The final wave of Power Miners was split into two waves in the U.S., as was the final wave of Atlantis a year later. In both of those cases the biggest and most exciting sets were the ones that got delayed. Breez is cool and all (as is Thornraxx), but compared to those themes the delay of these two sets, neither of which is the biggest and most impressive of this wave, is a drop in the bucket.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Why wait where there's Pick a Brick?DSCF8526.jpgAnd MoCing?

You are their rock.

Yup, Stormer XL won't be fitting on that.
I wouldn't rule it out entirely.Seriously though, I'm not sure about Stormer having a bike. Aside from the obvious scale issues, it kind of cheapens the set itself. What's the point of being STORMER XL BOSS MODE DELUXE if the show's just going to make the whole thing into a high-speed chase scene?Also, I had this really cool visual in my head of Stormer grabbing Speeda Demon off his bike as he speeds past and slamming him into the ground, and now it seems no such thing will happen in the episode. Tragic.EDIT: I'm aware that late response is late. Somehow I failed to notice there was a new page. Edited by Zakann The Diabolical

p

Smitty, where did you get the bottom launcher piece in orange????

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Smitty, where did you get the bottom launcher piece in orange??

Stocking Anarchy is right. Pick a Brick is also where I got most of the parts on that Breez in the same pic.

You are their rock.

Zakann, my dear friend. That picture was rather disturbing. :PSo yeah, I somehow found a seller here that had Toxic Reapa, Jawblade, Surge and Evo on sale. So I obviously was excited and ordered Toxic Reapa and Evo. ... Sadly he sent me Surge instead of Toxic Reapa. Oh well, I will say that I was really surprised with Surge. He's really great actually, Evo was kind of disappointing. But overall I am satisfied with my purchase.Now to save money for Jawblade and Toxic Reapa... :U

Do not trust corrupted memories.

Apparently on April 16 to May 20 you can build an HF figure in LEGO brand stores. No word on price nor piece availability yet. This is very good news as I completely missed out on last year's HRT event. I missed out on getting white/orange hero cores on bulk at such an early time! :(

I am intrigued by this. I also missed out on the HRT event last year. I had thought that Hero Factory parts would continue to be available in Pick-A-Brick just like they continued to be available on the online Pick-A-Brick, and I was very disappointed when that turned out not to be the case (especially as I have little interest in the usual in-store Pick-A-Brick selection).

I just realized that the summer sets are carefully designed so as to contain exactly zero recolors of standard frame or cladding pieces.There are recolors of more specialized parts, such as the chestplate and paw cladding pieces, and plenty of colors of the accessory parts, though.I'm even more disappointed with this wave than I was before.

I just realized that the summer sets are carefully designed so as to contain exactly zero recolors of standard frame or cladding pieces.There are recolors of more specialized parts, such as the chestplate and paw cladding pieces, and plenty of colors of the accessory parts, though.I'm even more disappointed with this wave than I was before.

Take another look and Bulk's and Breez's shins.

You are their rock.

Take another look and Bulk's and Breez's shins.
Breez is sort of a winter set (besides, her shins came on Breez 2.0 and Breakout Surge), and Bulk's shins came on Thornraxx, another sort-of winter set.

Good observation about the lack of recolored beams and basic shells. However, I think that the sets still seem extremely desirable, both in terms of new pieces and more specialized pieces. For instance, Voltix, Nex, Stringer, and Core Hunter all have the Breakout torso shell in new colors. Stringer introduces the plasma shooter (upper half) and 2.0 shield pieces in Silver Metallic, while Core Hunter introduces the 2.0 shield in Black. XT4 introduces a brand-new torso beam (5x6), and Stormer introduces a 3M "C" beam (sockets on both ends).Nobody ever criticized BIONICLE sets for lacking recolored Y-joints, after all, even if it was a boon when basic parts like that did appear in new colors.

My main concern is with the framework pieces, actually - the torso pieces only come in black, except for the wider torso coming in red and the largest torso coming in orange, and the rest of the frame pieces come in black and some in red or grey. If you don't want to have a black frame or a mixed-color frame, you're in trouble, unless you want to make something red with broad shoulders and monkey arms.Other than that, the pieces introduced are actually quite nice, it's just the limited frame colors that bother me.(Yes, I know that my comment about the rest of the frame parts is hyperbole, but there aren't enough of other colors to count them)

Edited by Kojol

I really don't mind if they all have the same frame color. It helps give it that factory made feel.

You are their rock.

I really don't mind if they all have the same frame color. It helps give it that factory made feel.

The thing is, they don't, all heroes since Savage Planet have had both grey and black frames.Furthermore, from a MOCist's perspective, it's annoying, as we're limited in color selection for Hero Factory MOCs.

What I just.... really never understood was why they decided to start intermixing grey bone pieces into the (formerly) pure black skeleton in the first place. Sure, it's another color, and helps break up the monotony... in a way... but it does nothing for the model except create another contrasting color, removes that "factory made feel", and serves no purpose whatsoever in changing the set's appearance in any positive way. And it really bothers me in models such as Stringer from the upcoming wave, where the designers actually gave him a pure black frame except for solely his upper legs. Not his upper arms, now his lower legs, not his lower arms, just his upper legs for some reason, which are grey. Not a problem because I can fix it if I want to, but it's just a really odd design choice.-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

What I just.... really never understood was why they decided to start intermixing grey bone pieces into the (formerly) pure black skeleton in the first place. Sure, it's another color, and helps break up the monotony... in a way... but it does nothing for the model except create another contrasting color, removes that "factory made feel", and serves no purpose whatsoever in changing the set's appearance in any positive way. And it really bothers me in models such as Stringer from the upcoming wave, where the designers actually gave him a pure black frame except for solely his upper legs. Not his upper arms, now his lower legs, not his lower arms, just his upper legs for some reason, which are grey. Not a problem because I can fix it if I want to, but it's just a really odd design choice.-Mesonak

I am pretty sure they did that so kids don´t mix up lower and upper limb pieces, similar to the axle pieces having been changed to red to be more constrasting and to be different from the pin pieces. That doesn´t explain the strange colour choice on Stringer, though, as the initial purpose of the different bone colours is reversed in his case.~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

What I just.... really never understood was why they decided to start intermixing grey bone pieces into the (formerly) pure black skeleton in the first place. Sure, it's another color, and helps break up the monotony... in a way... but it does nothing for the model except create another contrasting color, removes that "factory made feel", and serves no purpose whatsoever in changing the set's appearance in any positive way.And it really bothers me in models such as Stringer from the upcoming wave, where the designers actually gave him a pure black frame except for solely his upper legs. Not his upper arms, now his lower legs, not his lower arms, just his upper legs for some reason, which are grey. Not a problem because I can fix it if I want to, but it's just a really odd design choice.-Mesonak

I am pretty sure they did that so kids don´t mix up lower and upper limb pieces, similar to the axle pieces having been changed to red to be more constrasting and to be different from the pin pieces. That doesn´t explain the strange colour choice on Stringer, though, as the initial purpose of the different bone colours is reversed in his case.~Gata. ;)
Most bewilderingly, the set contains both black and grey upper limb pieces.What bothers me most is their continued refusal to make differently colored torsos - only two exist, an orange large one and a red medium one. Additionally, they preferentially make lower arm/leg pieces grey, except for the long one (with one pinhole on each side of the balljoint), which only comes in black. As such, I've got a huge supply of black upper limbs and grey lower limbs, and a dearth of grey upper limbs and black lower limbs, so most of my MOCs end up with grey shins or forearms.Most importantly, they need to release a 5' red shin, a 7' red shin, and a 7' grey shin, and possibly a 3' grey shin and 4' red and grey shins, so that limbs of essentially any size can be made using red or grey, and a red 7'x9' torso and grey 7'x9' and 9'x9' torsos need to be made. Then, we'd at least have the parts to be able to use the limb pieces we have effectively without destroying colour schemes.

I'll bite that they have been pretty inconsistent with using those particular bone pieces (although I do appreciate them not phasing out the black ones completely) but really, we'd all like certain parts, but they make parts as necessary, not as on demand of the fan base (look how long it took us to get purple). Recolors cost money down the line, and if it's not necessary, then there's not much point to it. Heck, they probably regret the red torso piece already; that hasn't been used since.

What I just.... really never understood was why they decided to start intermixing grey bone pieces into the (formerly) pure black skeleton in the first place. Sure, it's another color, and helps break up the monotony... in a way... but it does nothing for the model except create another contrasting color, removes that "factory made feel", and serves no purpose whatsoever in changing the set's appearance in any positive way.And it really bothers me in models such as Stringer from the upcoming wave, where the designers actually gave him a pure black frame except for solely his upper legs. Not his upper arms, now his lower legs, not his lower arms, just his upper legs for some reason, which are grey. Not a problem because I can fix it if I want to, but it's just a really odd design choice.-Mesonak

The most likely reason for differently-colored bones is discussed here by David Bird, who designed Krika. It's to make the building instructions more legible at a glance. Stringer's case is definitely an odd one, but perhaps chosen because by the time you get to adding his arms you'll have already used all the other 5M bones in the set for his legs, so telling his 5M upper arms apart from his 4M lower arms is a piece of cake.I have no issue with the differently-colored bones on most sets. Breez's bright red upper limbs seem a bit out of place to me, though, since they don't seem to match the rest of her color layering at all. But that's the exception rather than the norm. When it's just some of the limb pieces being grey instead of black, I have no issue with it at all. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

If we are looking at bone colors with in the world of Hero Factory there is some logic in that all the 2.0 heroes had all black bones then as the got upgrades that started to use different colors on their arms and legs. A new color of bone can indicate that that whole lime was changed out in the upgrade and not just the armor.

You are their rock.

I'll bite that they have been pretty inconsistent with using those particular bone pieces (although I do appreciate them not phasing out the black ones completely) but really, we'd all like certain parts, but they make parts as necessary, not as on demand of the fan base (look how long it took us to get purple). Recolors cost money down the line, and if it's not necessary, then there's not much point to it. Heck, they probably regret the red torso piece already; that hasn't been used since.

If they only used black, their odd recoloring choices become more irksome. But when there's one limb piece in teal, and two in lime green, and almost everything except for the most useful limb piece in red, it starts getting weird. It's also bothersome how they recolor limbs much more than torsos. I have very little reason, parts-wise, to get most of the summer sets, such as Nex, for example. I'd definitely get him if they gave him any recolors or more pieces in colors I could actually use (i.e., black, because all-black is the only way to go unless you want a multicolored frame, due to their continued refusal to release parts in a wide selection of colors, or colors for a wide selection of parts)I want XT4 and Core Hunter, because they come with some useful parts (the torso and the cladding/shield recolored to black, respectively). If they actually bothered trying to color the sets properly, instead of using red, grey, and black over and over again, I'd get more.

Hey guys, I'm stuck between getting Evo, Toxic Reapa, or Splitface. Which should I get?And yeah, I'm a MOCist, so that might affect the perspective

I would go for Toxic Reapa-- even though I don't have him he is a pretty good parts pack. Personally I think Evo doesn't have that much pieces for MOCing potential (asides from the shoulder armor). Splitface has a good amount of pieces but they aren't really that useful as well.

Hey guys, I'm stuck between getting Evo, Toxic Reapa, or Splitface. Which should I get?And yeah, I'm a MOCist, so that might affect the perspective

Evo.

You are their rock.

I'd usually say Toxic Reapa, but since you say that you are an MOCist, I'd say Splitface, because his color scheme seems more useful in my opinion, especially due to the majority of other Hero Factory parts in those colors.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Well, I was stuck between buying those too, and I just ended up buying all three at once. But if you only want to get one for MOCing, I would get Toxic Reapa if you wanted skeleton pieces for your MOCs.If you want other pieces like cladding and weaponry, I'd buy Splitface.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"