• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Mask of Creation's Lack of Name

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Zox Tomana

Zox Tomana
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 249 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 23 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.Kanohi Arka sounds good to my ear.Heh, I just made a connection. Artakha makes some pretty arcane things...with the Kanohi Arka =D

Edited by Zox, Nov 23 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#42 Offline NuvaTube

NuvaTube
  • Members
  • Toa

• 121 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 23 2013 - 05:08 PM

Well, even if we can get it to Greg he might not be able to get Legal to look at it. And we (Bonesiii rather) can always edit the Retelling later if we get lucky with canonisation. I think Tiro could work, but I think I prefer Arka because it has a touch of fan thought, could IMO be canonically and legally, it honestly sounds nicer, and sounds/look kinda like Artakha too ^^

Is there a way we can get a more poll-like voting going? I think I've seen something like that before here

#43 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,142 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 09:52 AM

Out of the ones mentioned so far, Arka does sound best to be as well, as it brings to mind power with its sharp sound and similarity to "arcane". Auaha fits in meaning, but it is just too heavy on the vowels for me. My native language favors at least a few more consonants. :P Hanga doesn't give the right feel to me.

A quick search for "creation" on an online Maori dictionary gave me "orokohanga" - which means "origin, beginning, creation". It could be shortened to just Oroko, but I dunno how good that is. Plus, using Maori words directly has showed not to be such a good idea. We might want to just base the name on words related to it, such as "Cresign", "Invetio" or "Artesin". :lol:

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated February 2014: Added new attacks for Toa of Iron, Plant Life and Psionics!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#44 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,587 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 12:59 PM

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.

Well, if people don't like the sound of it, that's fine. But I did mention why having more places named after people was getting old, so if that strategy was to be used again, IMO it actually makes more sense to use a thing (or from the Matoran's perspective just a word). Also, I'm pretty sure Greg himself said something about naming all of them after people wouldn't make much sense, because then why wouldn't there be something named after Lhikan? (Although he didn't seem to consider that they did name the legend of Lhii roughly after Lhikan, so probably saw that as an even higher honor. Aaanywho.)

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar? It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

As for a poll, yeah, I was hoping to do a poll later from what people suggest in here. :)

BTW, any reactions to the Motara option? With the justification that the Motara Desert does have the confirmed quarry in it and Po-Matoran make creations (statues) of stone from there? Kanohi Motara?

Or any of the others from Mata Nui? Just because the etymologies of them don't make as much sense doesn't mean yall can't say if you like 'em. :P

#45 Offline Trans Girl Tamaru

Trans Girl Tamaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,763 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.

Well, if people don't like the sound of it, that's fine. But I did mention why having more places named after people was getting old, so if that strategy was to be used again, IMO it actually makes more sense to use a thing (or from the Matoran's perspective just a word). Also, I'm pretty sure Greg himself said something about naming all of them after people wouldn't make much sense, because then why wouldn't there be something named after Lhikan? (Although he didn't seem to consider that they did name the legend of Lhii roughly after Lhikan, so probably saw that as an even higher honor. Aaanywho.)

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar? It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

As for a poll, yeah, I was hoping to do a poll later from what people suggest in here. :)

BTW, any reactions to the Motara option? With the justification that the Motara Desert does have the confirmed quarry in it and Po-Matoran make creations (statues) of stone from there? Kanohi Motara?

Or any of the others from Mata Nui? Just because the etymologies of them don't make as much sense doesn't mean yall can't say if you like 'em. :P

[color=#00ccff;]i'm in favour of the poll idea, but not so much the name Motara. using the Mata Nui island names isn't as fun as making up new ones if you ask me. xP[/color]

#46 Offline Infrared

Infrared
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Armored Protector

• 323 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 05:09 PM

I personally like the Kanohi Artakha idea, and I feel it could actually be canonized. Perhaps the Great Beings created Karzahni and Artahka and whoever won the Mask of Creation (Kanohi Artakha) would himself be named Artakha ("Creation") and rule over Artahka, which is a domain of creation.

Edited by Infrared, Nov 24 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#47 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,699 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 10:54 AM

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar?It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but I think that doesn't make much sense- I mean, "Arka" has an entirely different etymology according to Tolkien's dictionary, and "Oroko" isn't related to that at all- so why say that it is? :notsure:

I don't think the problem is that people dislike the etymology... I, for one, just don't like any of the Mata Nui location name options. :lol:

Chro: Dream Killer

MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

Hitman VIII: Codebreaker

Baruka: Native Son

#48 Offline Tolkien

Tolkien
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Linguistic Wordsmith

• 1,142 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 11:57 AM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"](Thought I'd jump in here real quick:)[/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]An important distinction needs to be made between the etymology/dictionary that I've come up with and the actual canon. My dictionary is not canon, although it does attempt to account for the canon English translations of words. For example, canonically valmai is defined as "cursed place"--that's what the canon says. In my dictionary, it acquires that meaning later, but its actual etymology is defined as something else. Likewise, a term like kaukau is canonically defined as "water-breathing". In my dictionary, kaukau could potentially be translated into English as "water-breathing", but etymologically it originates as a reduplicated form of kau which I (non-canonically) define as "breath" (kau-kau "lit. breath-of-breath"). See the difference? The etymologies are largely designed to approximate the canon terms, but there isn't always a one-to-one correspondence, since, unfortunately, you can't get very far with Matoran etymology under the assumption that the canon English translations are literal (e.g., kaukau literally incorporates meanings of "water" and "breathing", valmai literally incorporates "cursed" and "place", etc.).[/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]The suggestion that I made with Arka is, therefore, non-canon. While I'd be delighted if people want to use it in their own headcanon, if the goal of the topic is to come up with a term that could legitimately be canonized in the future, then it probably won't work.[/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]JRRT[/font]

Edited by Tolkien, Nov 26 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#49 Offline Toa Of Anarchy

Toa Of Anarchy
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 328 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 12:24 PM

I suppose that this name would make sense, seeing the case you put forward for it (maybe name all the other unnamed ones) 

However, I agree with Arc that making it canon isn't possible or plausible. 

"The invasion of the universe core is proceeding well, my newest creations are spreading darkness and corruption, and in general, it is good to be alive."
— Mutran, The Mutran Chronicles

"And you still haven't answered any of my one-hundred ten questions, or my follow ups."
— Vezon to Trinuma, Destiny War

"Another Hafu original!"
— Hafu, Mata Nui Online Game 

The biggest sacrifice in bionicle. Its a tie between Matoro giving up his life to save the universe and Hafu knocking down his beloved pieces of nostalgia to save Po-Koro.

#50 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,587 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 11:27 PM

[font="Verdana;font-size:12px;color:#808080;font-style:normal;"]Forgive me if I've missed something, but I think that doesn't make much sense- I mean, "Arka" has an entirely different etymology according to Tolkien's dictionary, and "Oroko" isn't related to that at all- so why say that it is? :notsure:[/font]

I just mean that it provides a connection, to give us further reason to like Arka. :) It is related in that they sound very similar, and use the same consonants (and almost vowels in the same places), so we could think of that as part of it. Of course, if you like Oroko better, that's cool too. :shrugs:

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]The suggestion that I made with Arka is, therefore, non-canon. While I'd be delighted if people want to use it in their own headcanon, if the goal of the topic is to come up with a term that could legitimately be canonized in the future, then it probably won't work.[/font]

Yes and no -- but make that "definitely", not just probably (okay, technically "almost certainly" :P). If we try to get a canon name, the only options are names already cleared by legal, hence the Tiro and similar suggestions. If most don't like any of those, then we have to settle for trying to theorize a reasonable "fanon" alternative.

#51 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members

• 1,699 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2013 - 07:28 PM

I wasn't saying that I like Oroko better. I was just saying that I'm not sure why we'd say Oroko was the origin of Arka when the two are just coincidentally similar.

MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

#52 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,924 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2013 - 07:39 PM

I agree with Infrared, because that sounds like a pretty good theory to me, really.

#53 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members

• 1,699 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 10:05 PM

It's certainly the one most likely to be possible to be canonized, I guess.

MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users