Mask of Creation's Lack of Name

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.Kanohi Arka sounds good to my ear.Heh, I just made a connection. Artakha makes some pretty arcane things...with the Kanohi Arka =D

Edited by Zox

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Well, even if we can get it to Greg he might not be able to get Legal to look at it. And we (Bonesiii rather) can always edit the Retelling later if we get lucky with canonisation. I think Tiro could work, but I think I prefer Arka because it has a touch of fan thought, could IMO be canonically and legally, it honestly sounds nicer, and sounds/look kinda like Artakha too ^^

Is there a way we can get a more poll-like voting going? I think I've seen something like that before here

Out of the ones mentioned so far, Arka does sound best to be as well, as it brings to mind power with its sharp sound and similarity to "arcane". Auaha fits in meaning, but it is just too heavy on the vowels for me. My native language favors at least a few more consonants. :P Hanga doesn't give the right feel to me.

A quick search for "creation" on an online Maori dictionary gave me "orokohanga" - which means "origin, beginning, creation". It could be shortened to just Oroko, but I dunno how good that is. Plus, using Maori words directly has showed not to be such a good idea. We might want to just base the name on words related to it, such as "Cresign", "Invetio" or "Artesin". :lol:

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.

Well, if people don't like the sound of it, that's fine. But I did mention why having more places named after people was getting old, so if that strategy was to be used again, IMO it actually makes more sense to use a thing (or from the Matoran's perspective just a word). Also, I'm pretty sure Greg himself said something about naming all of them after people wouldn't make much sense, because then why wouldn't there be something named after Lhikan? (Although he didn't seem to consider that they did name the legend of Lhii roughly after Lhikan, so probably saw that as an even higher honor. Aaanywho.)

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar? It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

As for a poll, yeah, I was hoping to do a poll later from what people suggest in here. :)

BTW, any reactions to the Motara option? With the justification that the Motara Desert does have the confirmed quarry in it and Po-Matoran make creations (statues) of stone from there? Kanohi Motara?

Or any of the others from Mata Nui? Just because the etymologies of them don't make as much sense doesn't mean yall can't say if you like 'em. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think naming it Tiro would make tons of sense. So far all the places on Mata Nui seem to be named after people, even if we don't know who is who for all of them.

Well, if people don't like the sound of it, that's fine. But I did mention why having more places named after people was getting old, so if that strategy was to be used again, IMO it actually makes more sense to use a thing (or from the Matoran's perspective just a word). Also, I'm pretty sure Greg himself said something about naming all of them after people wouldn't make much sense, because then why wouldn't there be something named after Lhikan? (Although he didn't seem to consider that they did name the legend of Lhii roughly after Lhikan, so probably saw that as an even higher honor. Aaanywho.)

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar? It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

As for a poll, yeah, I was hoping to do a poll later from what people suggest in here. :)

BTW, any reactions to the Motara option? With the justification that the Motara Desert does have the confirmed quarry in it and Po-Matoran make creations (statues) of stone from there? Kanohi Motara?

Or any of the others from Mata Nui? Just because the etymologies of them don't make as much sense doesn't mean yall can't say if you like 'em. :P

i'm in favour of the poll idea, but not so much the name Motara. using the Mata Nui island names isn't as fun as making up new ones if you ask me. xP

I personally like the Kanohi Artakha idea, and I feel it could actually be canonized. Perhaps the Great Beings created Karzahni and Artahka and whoever won the Mask of Creation (Kanohi Artakha) would himself be named Artakha ("Creation") and rule over Artahka, which is a domain of creation.

Edited by Infrared

Katuko, maybe we could think of "oroko" as part of the real-world inspiration etymology of Arka, 'cuz the two sound similar?It would make the name have a connection to Maori without actually using Maori.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but I think that doesn't make much sense- I mean, "Arka" has an entirely different etymology according to Tolkien's dictionary, and "Oroko" isn't related to that at all- so why say that it is? :notsure:

I don't think the problem is that people dislike the etymology... I, for one, just don't like any of the Mata Nui location name options. :lol:

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

(Thought I'd jump in here real quick:)

An important distinction needs to be made between the etymology/dictionary that I've come up with and the actual canon. My dictionary is not canon, although it does attempt to account for the canon English translations of words. For example, canonically valmai is defined as "cursed place"--that's what the canon says. In my dictionary, it acquires that meaning later, but its actual etymology is defined as something else. Likewise, a term like kaukau is canonically defined as "water-breathing". In my dictionary, kaukau could potentially be translated into English as "water-breathing", but etymologically it originates as a reduplicated form of kau which I (non-canonically) define as "breath" (kau-kau "lit. breath-of-breath"). See the difference? The etymologies are largely designed to approximate the canon terms, but there isn't always a one-to-one correspondence, since, unfortunately, you can't get very far with Matoran etymology under the assumption that the canon English translations are literal (e.g., kaukau literally incorporates meanings of "water" and "breathing", valmai literally incorporates "cursed" and "place", etc.).

The suggestion that I made with Arka is, therefore, non-canon. While I'd be delighted if people want to use it in their own headcanon, if the goal of the topic is to come up with a term that could legitimately be canonized in the future, then it probably won't work.

JRRT

Edited by Tolkien

Forgive me if I've missed something, but I think that doesn't make much sense- I mean, "Arka" has an entirely different etymology according to Tolkien's dictionary, and "Oroko" isn't related to that at all- so why say that it is? :notsure:

I just mean that it provides a connection, to give us further reason to like Arka. :) It is related in that they sound very similar, and use the same consonants (and almost vowels in the same places), so we could think of that as part of it. Of course, if you like Oroko better, that's cool too. :shrugs:

The suggestion that I made with Arka is, therefore, non-canon. While I'd be delighted if people want to use it in their own headcanon, if the goal of the topic is to come up with a term that could legitimately be canonized in the future, then it probably won't work.

Yes and no -- but make that "definitely", not just probably (okay, technically "almost certainly" :P). If we try to get a canon name, the only options are names already cleared by legal, hence the Tiro and similar suggestions. If most don't like any of those, then we have to settle for trying to theorize a reasonable "fanon" alternative.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)