Least Favorite Aspect of New Sets?

I would have liked to see them attempt it. At least.

Who's to say they didn't? You never know what they might have attempted that turned out not to work out well enough to make it into the final product.Personally, I'm quite impressed with how versatile the new mask connections are. They don't attach to old head pieces too well, but they can still attach to PLENTY of classic pieces, up to and including basic Y-joints and 2M friction pins. Also, they snap to the front rather than the top, which should satisfy pedants who can't fathom the idea of a mask that slips over top of your head.

Yes, I have to agree - while not compatible with old heads, the new masks have a LOT of versatility in respect to other elements. I quite enjoy the clip connection, actually, as the elimination of the axles/studs make them seem more mask-like. It also allows the head to have a smooth, clean jawline without a gaping hole for a mouth.

• Upvote 3

I liked the :o mouth.

After all, their not human, they shouldn't have a humanoid mouth structure.

That's like saying "they're not human, they shouldn't have a humanoid number of heads". They aren't OBLIGATED to be human-like in every respect, but that doesn't make the ways they differ from humans less weird or unsettling for people who aren't used to them. The strangeness of the faces was a big part of why my parents were always sort of creeped out by BIONICLE characters.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

The Inika heads definitely showed how a mask should attach, though the execution was less than satisfactory.

The Inika Heads showed how a mask should attach... to a faceless glowing monolith of nightmare fuel.

(in all seriousness, these new masks basically do what i'm assuming the inika masks were aiming to do, and then some.)

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Not sure why everyone has such trouble removing and reapplying stickers. I often get hold of sets that have had badly applied stickers on for many years. They almost always come off easily and go back on firmly. I recently had to fix a badly decorated tuma so those had been on for a good 6 years and they went back on perfectly well. Still there now!

There are exceptions of course and almost all of the stickers on an old LEGO city harbour set we have (on the freighter) have shredded themselves to pieces. That has to be a very different tgpe of sticker though!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

The Inika heads definitely showed how a mask should attach, though the execution was less than satisfactory.

The Inika Heads showed how a mask should attach... to a faceless glowing monolith of nightmare fuel.

(in all seriousness, these new masks basically do what i'm assuming the inika masks were aiming to do, and then some.)

The inika heads are cool though! In my opinion.

I recently had to fix a badly decorated tuma so those had been on for a good 6 years and they went back on perfectly well. Still there now!

I don't whether to be amazed or not believe you at all :P

I had to fix the "cheek" stickers on my own Tuma, and the moment I did they wouldn't stay down - they kept popping back up. I solved it in a very - er, "primitive" way by using a teeny, tiny piece of scotch tape to hold them down. I just recently disposed of the stickers because of how horrendous they were looking.

• Upvote 1

I must say, still on the subject of stickers, that I felt Tuma really suffered as a result of their inclusion in his set... I don't recall any other sets that had stickers in gen1 but regardless of whether that's correct or not I really think he could've been just as good without them. Maybe a two colour or two part mask would've given the same effect? The stickers on G2 Kopaka could just as easily (albeit far less cheaply) been replaced with a more detailed part. We all agree I think that some new armour shells would've been good for the relaunch anyway as the current CCBS shells being reused are just too smooth for Bionicle...

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm actually quite annoyed at Kopaka's stickers. Onua's I can understand, but with Kopaka... I mean, take a look at Hero Factory from 2012 (HF 2.0) and onward. Every single Hero had a printed shell detailing their name and/or a cool design with different coloration for each one. In this first Bionicle wave, we have chest pieces printed with their details - excluding Onua's, of course - so why the heck are we getting stickers for Kopaka's leg shells? It's not just a pain in the rear, it also seems like a waste of time and stickers, since it's not like every single Toa has these. Is it really because of cost? Or is TLG just wanting to make things more "fun" for children?

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 4

I must say, still on the subject of stickers, that I felt Tuma really suffered as a result of their inclusion in his set... I don't recall any other sets that had stickers in gen1 but regardless of whether that's correct or not I really think he could've been just as good without them. Maybe a two colour or two part mask would've given the same effect? The stickers on G2 Kopaka could just as easily (albeit far less cheaply) been replaced with a more detailed part. We all agree I think that some new armour shells would've been good for the relaunch anyway as the current CCBS shells being reused are just too smooth for Bionicle...

Where did Tuma have stickers? I didn't notice.

Where did Tuma have stickers? I didn't notice.

He had three on his helmet.

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png

We all agree I think that some new armour shells would've been good for the relaunch anyway as the current CCBS shells being reused are just too smooth for Bionicle...

I think the CCBS system being integrated with Bionicle is a great idea...however, the current CCBS armor shells are indeed too smooth and not very Bionicle-like. The new piece that they've made to place on the armor is a step in the right direction, but they need more shapes besides the upcoming one.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What we need is some new feet.

Maybe a CCBS version of the common Inika/Piraka foot?

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Grrr the guurahk weapon as kopaka's spear is a bad choice. It doesn't look sharp and menacing like a spear should be

I can agree with that 100%. I appreciate the return of an old piece, but I would've preferred the original Toa Mata/Nuva feet or something. As far as the spear goes, I think they should've made a sword for Kopaka instead of a spear. I think a sword fits him better.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Nearly all people who have a problem with the new sets they say it's the feet. I don't get what's wrong with the feet tbh. :P

I never liked those feet pieces...they're gappy and they really don't look mighty...I heard someone label them as "clown shoes" but Idk. They're also really basic looking and they don't have any of the robotic detail like the Metru feet or the the Piraka Feet do. Onua's feet actually look amazing, but the other 5 toa...I just don't think it goes.

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Nearly all people who have a problem with the new sets they say it's the feet. I don't get what's wrong with the feet tbh. :P

I never liked those feet pieces...they're gappy and they really don't look mighty...I heard someone label them as "clown shoes" but Idk. They're also really basic looking and they don't have any of the robotic detail like the Metru feet or the the Piraka Feet do. Onua's feet actually look amazing, but the other 5 toa...I just don't think it goes.

Oh... I find them actually pretty good for starting feet, I used them on my personal MOC and a few others, and they seem to work fine, but I'd get why some people wouldn't like them.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Oh... I find them actually pretty good for starting feet, I used them on my personal MOC and a few others, and they seem to work fine, but I'd get why some people wouldn't like them.

In that respect (starting feet), they aren't so bad. But in the grand scheme of things, I think everything mentioned in the topic (save for the stickers) are all minor gripes at most. Bionicle is back and at the end of the day, that's the most important thing.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I actually don't mind his bear-paw feet, at least they aren't clown shoes. Speaking of clown shoes, I really want a revamp of the Hero Factory 2011 feet.

I REALLY liked those. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I actually don't mind his bear-paw feet, at least they aren't clown shoes. Speaking of clown shoes, I really want a revamp of the Hero Factory 2011 feet.

I REALLY liked those. 

The 2011 feet are the ones that are "clown shoes." The 2010 feet are super cool! I really liked those as well!!! (assuming that's what you mean).

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

All the HF look like clown shoes. I think.

The feet from "Rise of the Rookies" have proven to be quite useful to my MOC-making...but the feet the toa are using...*shudder*

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Hmmm, apparently everyone here seems to hate the HF feet.  Odd, I never really despised them.  That said, they are a bit basic...

Maybe a new foot mold is in order!

Anyways, my least favorite aspect of the new sets is probably the lack of the Mask of Creation!  D:  LEGO teases us with the Mask of Creation on ALL the sets and doesn't release it in any of them :S

Guess they're saving it for next wave.  Or the wave after that.  We'll see.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

Parts that originated from HF. I just feel Bionicle is a whole new world and I feel that those parts arent really "worthy". So, parts and stickers. But I still really like the sets!

To be fair, the Toa Mata used a lot of preexisting pieces from Slizers. I don't mind that Bionicle 2015 uses Hero Factory pieces (it is the only way that Bionicle could be rebooted I'm sure), but I hope that most or all of them are filtered out over the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I'm actually quite annoyed at Kopaka's stickers. Onua's I can understand, but with Kopaka... I mean, take a look at Hero Factory from 2012 (HF 2.0) and onward. Every single Hero had a printed shell detailing their name and/or a cool design with different coloration for each one. In this first Bionicle wave, we have chest pieces printed with their details - excluding Onua's, of course - so why the heck are we getting stickers for Kopaka's leg shells? It's not just a pain in the rear, it also seems like a waste of time and stickers, since it's not like every single Toa has these. Is it really because of cost? Or is TLG just wanting to make things more "fun" for children?

The reason Kopaka's leg shells have stickers instead of printing is that The LEGO Group has never printed that particular shell before, so it would require a printing machine that they simply do not have.

As far as molds are concerned, I can't agree that the current CCBS molds are "too smooth". Too smooth for BIONICLE G1, maybe. But this isn't BIONICLE G1. It's a fresh start for the theme.

Personally, I think the smoothness of the CCBS is largely an improvement on the specialized detail on old BIONICLE parts, from a creative standpoint. And I don't see why the BIONICLE reboot should start with a step backward.

That doesn't mean we can't have specialized parts every now and then, but creating an aesthetic language that depends entirely on such parts would be a bad move. The designers made the basic building blocks of the CCBS so simple for a reason—they wouldn't function as basic building blocks otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Parts that originated from HF. I just feel Bionicle is a whole new world and I feel that those parts arent really "worthy". So, parts and stickers. But I still really like the sets!

To be fair, the Toa Mata used a lot of preexisting pieces from Slizers. I don't mind that Bionicle 2015 uses Hero Factory pieces (it is the only way that Bionicle could be rebooted I'm sure), but I hope that most or all of them are filtered out over the next couple of years.

I liked Slizers and Roboriders. Did not really enjoy HF (though, I do have to admit, I own a couple of sets), at least nowhere near as much as I enjoyed Bionicle. I dont mind Bionicle reminding me of Slizers and Roboriders, but I am really not too fond of HF memories.

• Upvote 2

We could have the 'roughness' that G1 had, and still have the creativity of CCBS.

Just replace all the smooth shells with piston/armor-covered ones. 

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Now hold on, who says bionicle g2 has to be smooth? Why can't it keep the biomechanical look of bionicle g1? In my onion, the new sets need more pistons.

I don't know anybody saying it has to be smooth, but likewise it doesn't have to look exactly like BIONICLE G1, either. And having a foundation of basic parts is practical from a creative standpoint, because that way most of the parts won't be limited to use in overtly mechanical creations.

We could have the 'roughness' that G1 had, and still have the creativity of CCBS.

Why replace around half of the system's basic parts with more specialized parts? I can understand the desire for occasional detailed shell pieces like this one or this one (and it's quite possible we'll see new parts like those in future waves), but replacing the entire range of basic shells with more specialized ones seems a little counterproductive. Especially since if there are any other constraction themes like the Legends of Chima range we've had for the past two years, you'd have to keep both sets of shells in production... a little bit impractical from a logistical standpoint.

It's not like I think molded detail has no place in the new BIONICLE, but I think there's a lot to be gained from using that kind of detail selectively rather than indiscriminately. I'm sure we'll see more BIONICLE-specific part designs in the years to come, especially since future sets will be able to reuse parts like the piston detail, gearbox, head, and eyestalk from this year's sets, thereby freeing up more of their new parts budget. But at the same time, I think hoping to see basic CCBS shells or beams phased out completely in the years to come is setting yourself up for disappointment. If they DO ever get phased out, they will be replaced by parts just as basic or more so, not by specialized parts designed with just a single theme in mind.

• Upvote 3

Now hold on, who says bionicle g2 has to be smooth? Why can't it keep the biomechanical look of bionicle g1? In my onion, the new sets need more pistons.

I don't know anybody saying it has to be smooth, but likewise it doesn't have to look exactly like BIONICLE G1, either. And having a foundation of basic parts is practical from a creative standpoint, because that way most of the parts won't be limited to use in overtly mechanical creations.

Why replace around half of the system's basic parts with more specialized parts? I can understand the desire for occasional detailed shell pieces like this one or this one (and it's quite possible we'll see new parts like those in future waves), but replacing the entire range of basic shells with more specialized ones seems a little counterproductive. Especially since if there are any other constraction themes like the Legends of Chima range we've had for the past two years, you'd have to keep both sets of shells in production... a little bit impractical from a logistical standpoint.

It's not like I think molded detail has no place in the new BIONICLE, but I think there's a lot to be gained from using that kind of detail selectively rather than indiscriminately. I'm sure we'll see more BIONICLE-specific part designs in the years to come, especially since future sets will be able to reuse parts like the piston detail, gearbox, head, and eyestalk from this year's sets, thereby freeing up more of their new parts budget. But at the same time, I think hoping to see basic CCBS shells or beams phased out completely in the years to come is setting yourself up for disappointment. If they DO ever get phased out, they will be replaced by parts just as basic or more so, not by specialized parts designed with just a single theme in mind.

I have to agree with everything in this post.

As much as I agree with the shells being too smooth...the shells need to be smooth so Lego can create more parts like this, this, and ESPECIALLY THIS!

The parts in the links are what make CCBS work for me. The shells definitely need to be smooth because they function as the typical lego brick and the detailed pieces (ex. car tires/axels) fit on/around the bricks. Lego doesn't need to make more detailed shells, but rather more (I say more as in variety) detailed pieces to fit over the shells.

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: