New!Bionicle: How Organic Are They?

The Great Beings aren't mentioned until the second comic on page 9: "Thank the Great Beings...my agility!". 

It seemed that the stories' focus was on Mata Nui for the first few years, not the Great Beings. It was more around 2006 that their role became important, I thought...

• Upvote 1

Eh, I'm not too sure about a "robots on an island" thing. If they are artificial lifeforms, then it begs the question of who made them, and later put them there.

Not really. Some incarnations of Transformers, particularly G1 when it first started, gave no explanation of how Transformers are made. People accepted the existence of a world populated by robots just fine. Or Hero Factory. No one is really asking who built all these robots running around. Why? Because it was established at the start of the series.

Why would BIONICLE be any different?

• Upvote 1

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

Eh, I'm not too sure about a "robots on an island" thing. If they are artificial lifeforms, then it begs the question of who made them, and later put them there.

Not really. Some incarnations of Transformers, particularly G1 when it first started, gave no explanation of how Transformers are made. People accepted the existence of a world populated by robots just fine. Or Hero Factory. No one is really asking who built all these robots running around. Why? Because it was established at the start of the series.

Why would BIONICLE be any different?

Because BIO-nicle. As in lifeforms. As in living, organic beings.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

The Great Beings aren't mentioned until the second comic on page 9: "Thank the Great Beings...my agility!". 

It seemed that the stories' focus was on Mata Nui for the first few years, not the Great Beings. It was more around 2006 that their role became important, I thought...

Have you forgotten the story page on the site back in '01?

I remember it well enough, as it was a huge part of what shaped my early ideas of BIONICLE. It spoke of some "Great Beings" sending what I understood as a lesser spirit known as Mata Nui to watch over the Matoran. Another lesser spirit, called Makuta became jealous, and followed him. You all know the rest. This was there back in '01. It had to be, because it was what helped shape my vision of BIONICLE for those first few years by introducing me to the extended mythos of the line.

Does no one remember that?

Of course, that could have been added after the comics release, but it was on there pretty dang early in the whole line's life.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Have you forgotten the story page on the site back in '01?

I remember it well enough, as it was a huge part of what shaped my early ideas of BIONICLE. It spoke of some "Great Beings" sending what I understood as a lesser spirit known as Mata Nui to watch over the Matoran. Another lesser spirit, called Makuta became jealous, and followed him. You all know the rest. This was there back in '01. It had to be, because it was what helped shape my vision of BIONICLE for those first few years by introducing me to the extended mythos of the line.

Does no one remember that?

Of course, that could have been added after the comics release, but it was on there pretty dang early in the whole line's life.

No, I didn't visit the site until '05. :P

My memory's pretty good, but if it doesn't get the proper data, it's no good for nobody. 

All I'm saying is, you're adding the idea that we need to know how they came to be, if they're robotic, or at a particular date. I wasn't talking about that -- I was just saying, we had biomechanical, we had naturally organic, maybe now we'll get literally what they look like and what fans naturally assumed for years they were -- robotic. :)

And the timing issue falls apart anyways because we already know of the concept of Great Beings from Gen 1 and can reasonably theorize there might be a callback to them.

But no, I don't recall hearing it right away. It was 15 years ago, so it's certainly possible we've forgotten it, but I doubt it in this case. But none of that really matters -- if the new story team wants to explain it, they can, and we're still so early, you can't really be assuming they won't. Yeah? :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

All I'm saying is, you're adding the idea that we need to know how they came to be, if they're robotic, or at a particular date. I wasn't talking about that -- I was just saying, we had biomechanical, we had naturally organic, maybe now we'll get literally what they look like and what fans naturally assumed for years they were -- robotic. :)

And the timing issue falls apart anyways because we already know of the concept of Great Beings from Gen 1 and can reasonably theorize there might be a callback to them.

But no, I don't recall hearing it right away. It was 15 years ago, so it's certainly possible we've forgotten it, but I doubt it in this case. But none of that really matters -- if the new story team wants to explain it, they can, and we're still so early, you can't really be assuming they won't. Yeah? :)

Fair enough. It was part of the obscure legend that described Makuta as a mixture of a lion, a snake, a bear and all other manner of monstrous things. We now know otherwise, but at least the mention was there. :P

And I guess you're right. I guess I'd just hyave preferred some mention of something, even if we have nothing to relate it to just yet. Some sort of historical bit.

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I don't find any problem with the new villagers being the same "organic with optional mechanical implants" as the Agori.

I find the Protector of Earth's chest blaster seems like a pretty clear example of an implant - the videos confirms that Protectors have children, so are born, making them likely to be organic. Beings are not generally born with blasters in their chest so that suggests mechanical armour and implants are still a thing.

The Toa, on the other hand, are hinted to be from the past, so are possibly the same as from G1. Therefore they are still bio mechanical, meaning that "BIONICLE" still has relevance. Plus, the fact that they do not age whereas the Protectors do fits with the description of the Toa as "timeless" heroes. It also fits with the fact that the Protectors seemed surprised that the Toa survived their crash landing - a Protector, being organic, would not have survived.

• Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I don't find any problem with the new villagers being the same "organic with optional mechanical implants" as the Agori.

I find the Protector of Earth's chest blaster seems like a pretty clear example of an implant - the videos confirms that Protectors have children, so are born, making them likely to be organic. Beings are not generally born with blasters in their chest so that suggests mechanical armour and implants are still a thing.

The Toa, on the other hand, are hinted to be from the past, so are possibly the same as from G1. Therefore they are still bio mechanical, meaning that "BIONICLE" still has relevance. Plus, the fact that they do not age whereas the Protectors do fits with the description of the Toa as "timeless" heroes. It also fits with the fact that the Protectors seemed surprised that the Toa survived their crash landing - a Protector, being organic, would not have survived.

Ooh, I like this idea a LOT. The Toa as more mechanical but the villagers/Protectors more organic seems to fit the best.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Ooh, I like this idea a LOT. The Toa as more mechanical but the villagers/Protectors more organic seems to fit the best.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

I'm all for this one! Hadn't thought too much about what the Toa might be, but I like the idea of mostly organic Protectors.

For the PoE, though, I like to think that the blaster is built into his armor, and is triggered by some mechanism that involves a flexing muscle. That way, he could remove it easily.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I do hope they are still Bio-mechanical. But I doubt they will address anything like it in depth any time soon. I know they want to keep things simple, but I hope they do explain things more to give fans more.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have a hard time accepting new Vakama's shoulder-gun-thing as organic, or new Whenua's Torso gun. The thought of a humanoid with a weird, fleshy shoulder protrusion that can hold a gun probably wasn't the designer's intention.

They're not. Those would be part of the armor. Check one of my earlier posts in this topic. The PoE's might very well just be attached to a harness built into his armor, and he has some sort of trigger for it. The PoF could just have something similar, only mounted on his shoulder. Could be triggered by a certain muscle movement, could be automatic... all they have to do is aim. :P

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Nah man they are robots. Did you know originally they weren't even biomechanical? They were robots. That's right, the 2001 characters (Toa Mata) are robots. They have told us this before, before they started becoming organic as well. I just feel like everyone has taken that out of perspective just for the organic parts of these robots, but we must remember that they are robots and that is their true origin. Think origin!

Nah man they are robots. Did you know originally they weren't even biomechanical? They were robots. That's right, the 2001 characters (Toa Mata) are robots. They have told us this before, before they started becoming organic as well. I just feel like everyone has taken that out of perspective just for the organic parts of these robots, but we must remember that they are robots and that is their true origin. Think origin!

Uh.... No. They were intended to be partly organic from the start. They were always biomechanical. and you're talking about G1, which is a completely different story from this one.

Go back and read the story from '01. The Toa Mata spent so long in their canisters that their organic bits decayed and their mechanical parts lost their integrity. When the Toa began piecing themselves back together, they grew new organic tissue that fused their mechanical components back together.

They were not robots. Very few characters were ever fully robotic.

• Upvote 3

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm thinking that the Protectors and villagers are very close to the organic-mechanical ratio of the Agori and Glatorian. As for the Toa, I'm thinking that they're somewhat more on the organic side of things, but that is only what I think as we don't have any solid confirmation on how organic any of the characters are, even Lord of Skull Spiders, which I'd assume is like the Protectors.

I think that the villagers are more like people from bara magna, BUT, this whole thing is some alternate timeline that Tahu accidentally caused whilst fighting the bohrok-kal, in which instead of landing on spherus magna, only to float to mata nui, they land on okoto, inside of canisters that explode upon the landing. so same 85% mech 15% organic for toa, but 15% mech and 85% organic for the villagers.

Skull spiders= Mutated skulls of the dead

LoSS= Mutated Skull spider, who was the strongest, and thus lead the skull spiders.

Edited by Dragon11603

I think that the villagers are more like people from bara magna, BUT, this whole thing is some alternate timeline that Tahu accidentally caused whilst fighting the bohrok-kal, in which instead of landing on spherus magna, only to float to mata nui, they land on okoto, inside of canisters that explode upon the landing. so same 85% mech 15% organic for toa, but 15% mech and 85% organic for the villagers.

Skull spiders= Mutated skulls of the dead

LoSS= Mutated Skull spider, who was the strongest, and thus lead the skull spiders.

Really? I like to think that Gen2 is the outcome of Vakama destroying the Vahi when Makuta had to decide if the Toa was bluffing or not, and Vakama is Ekimu. The skull spiders could be twisted visorak, and the mask of skull spiders could be the visorak heart

As for the actual topic: Not sure dude. I'll take the word of what the person above said about the Toa being timeless.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light