Do you like Bionicle 2015?

Do you like Bionicle 2015?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before I vote, could you add an option to the "what I like best" part? Because I want to be able to vote "Everything".

EDIT: Just realized that I can pick more than one. Sorry bout that!

Edited by Cwog

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Before I vote, could you add an option to the "what I like best" part? Because I want to be able to vote "Everything".

EDIT: Just realized that I can pick more than one. Sorry bout that!

Would also have voted artwork if I had known I could pick multiple options.

'Tis noted. Thanks for voting!

Also, would you care to explain your answers? I really want to keep this topic going, as well as keep it for all BZP goers, from people who love to people who do not like Bionicle 2015. So, spread the word!

I personally love it. It's doing a lot right with the artwork and mystical/mythical atmosphere. I personally love the sets and animations: the sets because they're just amazing builds, and the animations because they're great in quality (although the voice acting can be pretty cringe worthy at times, might have been better to have just narrated the actions and thoughts of the Toa, like a legend being told). The contests and everything else are awesome bonuses

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 3

I... honestly don't know yet.

I do like the To--ahem--Master sets. The Protectors are somewhat cool as well, although they're a bit too clone-like for my taste. I'm not yet sure what I think of the new villains; they have interesting designs, but the skeleton look makes what little armor they do have seem flimsy and tacked-on. The new parts are pretty sweet, although the masks don't exactly scream "Bionicle."

The story so far seems like it could be promising, although I'm definitely not a fan of the fact that there really isn't much of it so far. We've swept through nearly an entire half year of story in a little over 10 minutes of animation. That's not to say that I don't like the animations--they're pretty cool--but there should really be more.

What contests have there been? I guess there was the big baddie contest that I can't remember the name of right now, but isn't that it?

Artwork I think I touched on when I mentioned the animations; I like the style! The general style of Gen 2 itself is very neat, too--the tribal feel definitely harkens back to 2001.

I think overall I'm beginning to become fond of Bionicle 2015, but it hasn't won me over entirely yet. I'll definitely stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg

I... honestly don't know yet.

I do like the To--ahem--Master sets. The Protectors are somewhat cool as well, although they're a bit too clone-like for my taste. I'm not yet sure what I think of the new villains; they have interesting designs, but the skeleton look makes what little armor they do have seem flimsy and tacked-on. The new parts are pretty sweet, although the masks don't exactly scream "Bionicle."

The story so far seems like it could be promising, although I'm definitely not a fan of the fact that there really isn't much of it so far. We've swept through nearly an entire half year of story in a little over 10 minutes of animation. That's not to say that I don't like the animations--they're pretty cool--but there should really be more.

What contests have there been? I guess there was the big baddie contest that I can't remember the name of right now, but isn't that it?

Artwork I think I touched on when I mentioned the animations; I like the style! The general style of Gen 2 itself is very neat, too--the tribal feel definitely harkens back to 2001.

I think overall I'm beginning to become fond of Bionicle 2015, but it hasn't won me over entirely yet. I'll definitely stay tuned.

About the amount of story content: Don't forget that we have 3 books on the way. Yes, there is the Mask Hunt, but there are no other contests.

I vote in between, sets (obvious quality is obvious), artwork, and animations*. The * is for lack of actual substantive story content in said animations, somewhat rushed pacing, and lack of character development.

I am not impressed much. However, I shall yet wait and see before condemning it to Valmai. 

I vote in between, sets (obvious quality is obvious), artwork, and animations*. The * is for lack of actual substantive story content in said animations, somewhat rushed pacing, and lack of character development.

I am not impressed much. However, I shall yet wait and see before condemning it to Valmai. 

I say it again. Wait for the books. That's where most of the story took place in gen1, right? Be patient and enjoy the story once it starts to really get fleshed out. Also, as for character development, I've got a topic about it right now if you wanna check it out: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18280-whose-personality-do-you-want-expanded-upon-most/

• Upvote 1

About the amount of story content: Don't forget that we have 3 books on the way. Yes, there is the Mask Hunt, but there are no other contests.

Whoa, three books? I hadn't heard about that. :o

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg

Whoa, three books? I hadn't heard about that. :o

Okay, I definitely remember hearing that 3 were scheduled, but I could only find this: Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Untitled-LEGO-Bionicle-Chapter-Book/dp/0545873258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429149167&sr=1-1&keywords=LEGO+Bionicle%3A+Chapter+Book

• Upvote 1

I'm... in between. I know I've bashed the new Bionicle a bunch, but I don't outright hate it. I think it's important to acknowledge the good parts of it, like the solid set designs and artwork.

But when it comes down to it, it's disappointing. It's not as much as it could be, and the story so far is very poorly distributed and not anything that we haven't seen before, in fact, it's less than we've seen before. As important as it is to make lots of comebacks to the original Bionicle, I was excited to see where it departs, and so far the mystery is the one thing keeping me hooked. The mystery of the toa's origins and the mask of time are the line's biggest edges right now.

The animations are not as plenty as I'd like them to be for their length, poorly distributed, and generally not of high quality. I mean, they look good, but they are simple, not very well paced, and generally reflect the theme's near over-simplicity in many areas. They quickly jump from one thing to another, and don't truly show the quests or the experiences the toa are going through as much as I'd like them to. Sure, it's completely arguable that the novels and such will bring that when they come, but the theme has just started and Lego needs to attract new fans and appeal to new ones now. If they don't get into at the beginning, chances are they might not be back later. The animations are really the only visual material we have and don't show off Okoto to be anything more than just some pretty landscape. It looks nice, but there is little significance to its settings and they are not extremely memorable detail wise, because there really aren't that many details. We need good, and I mean very good visuals that clearly give the island character and introduce it, but these animations aren't as epic (most of the time, I admit, there are a couple nice action scenes) as the animations the old Bionicle got, or as story rich and enticing as MNOG.

The removal of many complex and sometimes needless terms wasn't a bad move, but Bionicle 2015 takes it several steps way too far. The complex terms only got bad as the years went on, but at the beginning it wasn't that bad and they only gave the theme character and made it unique and have its own culture. Now, fancy made up terms don't make a theme, but it reached the point where even important characters like the Protectors and villagers have no names! That completely sucks a ton of the character out of the theme, and though it lets us focus on the toa, old Bionicle managed to do that while having exciting characters that made the settings interesting and have culture/character. In old Bionicle, you got to see who the toa were protecting, you got to meet the villagers that charmed you and made you fall in love with them for over a decade. New Bionicle, has none of that. I'm being told what the toa are fighting for, but I'm not being shown them and so I don't care for the villagers, and thus the toa's quest, making the theme much less interesting for me because now it feels pointless! The perspective and character of the villagers was always a whole entire half of Bionicle, and now it's been dropped and that gap has been filled by nothing.

Not to mention that ties into how boring of an island Okoto is. There are few landmarks that we've seen so far, and virtually none are marked on the map. The map/island is bland and just environments, but we've seen nothing of the villages and ruins so far to really make us attracted to the island. There is no exciting or notable landscape. Sure there's room for putting it in later, but like I said, it needs to be done now because it's the start. The ruins/temples there don't seem special or significant because they aren't heavily tied to the mythology and thus feel simply dropped there for the sake of making an aesthetic. Sure, it looks pretty, but there are no parts that end up meaning anything to me because there's nothing notable about them. Except for the elemental factor, the settings and cultures aren't very diverse or interesting. The concepts and art ideas for the land are beautiful and cool, but that's it, there's nothing specifically interesting/significant to the story about them, and so they're not special and disappear into memory very quickly.

Like I mentioned earlier, the cultures and people of the island are undefined and uninteresting, making them insignificant to me. We hear much of Ekimu and Makuta, but if you watch the legend video, you basically get the whole of the mythology. So far, it hasn't expanded or connected with the rest of the story much at all and there is little to no detail beyond what they've shown. I don't have any understanding at all of why they're important and what they've really done. Sure, all the details shouldn't be spoiled, but it's so simple it's become bare bones.

The theme as it is has a lot of potential to build up, expand and become more significant, but it's also missing several key and incredibly important factors that made the original Bionicle so successful. We grow up remembering all the wonders and intriguing things gen 1 has shown us, but gen 2 doesn't have any of the stuff that attached us to the original theme, and so kids these days won't be as attached or fond of it once they get older. It'll simply become another theme that Lego did at one time or another set of toys they played with.

It's often argued that Bionicle is just a toy line and the storyline is only there to compliment the sets, but I completely disagree. The storyline and sets have to work together and be equally good. As it is the story and animations so far aren't interesting or strong. The new skull villains are just skull villains. There's nothing unique or special about them so far (though there's still a chance for them to be depending on their origins, but I wouldn't count on it). The old Bionicle was filled with rahi and flora and environments that created a diverse and special world. Okoto just fades into the background...

To me the contests aren't that relevant to me, but I guess they're alright. They don't really do anything for the theme though. They're creative in themselves, but don't actually tie into the story in any way. They're only based on the ideas of the theme. So, eh.

The theme does deserve credit where it's deserved, and although I'm openly not the biggest fan of CCBS (I feel Lego still has the potential to expand and create an even greater and more interesting system for action figures, plus the gappy style and armor on bones style just doesn't look nice or excite me that much), these sets make the absolute most of it and have created amazing designs (still flawed, but fantastic) that are full and reflective of their character.

All in all, I'm still waiting to see where the theme goes, but as it is I'm unimpressed. The sets are the only real "WOW!" factor here and everything else just gives in to convention. There's a good groundwork for something great, but it's not being used to the fullest or being taken advantage of yet. Sure, you argue the books and novels are coming, but I want Bionicle now! WE want Bionicle now! We've waited five years for this and we have to wait more? It's a little unfair and makes me lose interest in the line since there isn't a steady flow of thrilling story to keep discussion and expectations going. Besides, the books shouldn't be the primary source of story. If the world is flat and undeveloped in the general media, it's unlikely that it'll jump to a suddenly rich and interesting one in a single media, and I doubt Lego will pour its resources like that.

I don't want to dislike gen 2 so far, and it's arguable that it's just started, but if I'm not wild about it right away, I lost interest and become less invested, and from there anything that comes later and is interesting, is a lot less so because is wasn't cool all the way through. And I feel that's the same for many others. I'm trying to look at this realistically and be constructive, and I'm sure the pretentious nuts are gonna start bashing me as one of the snobbish and irrational fans that's completely blinded by nostalgia goggles, but I'm not, and the truth is Lego can do better, and Bionicle I feel deserves a little better. It deserves to be AMAZING, and anything short of that, even okay, just gets seen in the light of failure, because we all know it could be so much more, because we've seen that so much more. The original Bionicle threaded a powerful, thoughtful territory that inspired me and affected me for the rest of my life. I don't want gen 2 to be a gen 1 clone, but could I really ask for an experience less than what we had before? Because if Lego can't do it, they shouldn't bring back Bionicle at all.

• Upvote 3

The sets and art so far, as well the the effort put forth through the contests, make me say that I love it. However, that's just because the quality of all that overtakes flaws in other areas. It's not perfect, and the story does need some fleshing out. Hopefully the second half of the year will help in that respect.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

1. Choosing from the answers provided, I went with 'in between.' I don't 'love it to death,' but I don't hate it either. I really liked some of the stuff Gen 2 Bionicle has given us, like the sets and artwork. But I really wish the story had been fleshed out more in the first half of the year. Yes, I know that we have books coming later this year that could give the Toa, Protectors, and villains some good character development. But at this moment in time all we have are animations that don't even add up to a half hour when put together to tell the story. (Not to mention Tahu get the spotlight alone in at least two of the episodes.) I feel that if the animations were a little longer, and gave a little more focus on the other Toa, they could've done a lot more in helping to tell the story. (Or at least give some development to the other Toa and/or Protectors besides Tahu and the Protector of Fire) But as is, I can't help but feel that they are simply not enough to tell the story by themselves. And as someone who is more into the story than the sets, that kind of hurts my interest in them. 

2. Story aside, I do like some things from Gen 2 Bionicle. I think all the sets are really great. Even the Protector of Fire, despite it not being as good as the other Protectors IMO. In fact, even though I just said above that I'm more into the story than the sets, I actually went ahead and got all of the Toa and Protector sets, as well as the Lord of Skull Spiders. And I don't regret it at all. :)

The concept art that has been released looks amazing as well, especially the ones of the Mask of Creation. And while I don't think that animations have done the best job at telling the story, I do think that they are well drawn and have some really beautiful colors to them. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Wait, what? Lego just resurrected something around a third of my childhood; of course I'm crazy about it! The sets, in particular, are the best constraction Lego has ever done, and arguably the best action figures ever, period. The story...I'm going to wait until we get something that isn't voiced by the Master of Hideous Overacting before I seriously judge the story, but it definitely shows promise.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Not to mention that ties into how boring of an island Okoto is. There are few landmarks that we've seen so far, and virtually none are marked on the map. The map/island is bland and just environments, but we've seen nothing of the villages and ruins so far to really make us attracted to the island. There is no exciting or notable landscape. Sure there's room for putting it in later, but like I said, it needs to be done now because it's the start. The ruins/temples there don't seem special or significant because they aren't heavily tied to the mythology and thus feel simply dropped there for the sake of making an aesthetic. Sure, it looks pretty, but there are no parts that end up meaning anything to me because there's nothing notable about them. Except for the elemental factor, the settings and cultures aren't very diverse or interesting. The concepts and art ideas for the land are beautiful and cool, but that's it, there's nothing specifically interesting/significant to the story about them, and so they're not special and disappear into memory very quickly.

Which is exactly what we got with every setting post-Metru Nui. We got an island shape, some concept art, a few descriptions (maybe) of some local villages or landmarks, and that's it. People act like G1 was this massive story where the landscapes and places had character themselves, but after the first two islands, they were simply settings glossed over to focus on the Toa and villains at the expense of everything else. Were it not for MNOG or the Metru-Nui films, honestly we wouldn't have even had real settings there either. In G1 we got "the scary island of doom, the water island, the cave ceiling, the swamp, and the desert planet". That's about all we got, though Bara Magna did at least give us "we have villages that are giant robot parts apparently and we fight in arenas". Still not seeing much more than what we have now in that.

Sometimes I think people have built up this vision of this grand storytelling adventure in G1 that the reality just doesn't support. We had four books a year, with months in between them where there was no story information. It felt more exciting just by virtue of having Greg to constantly answer ceaseless questions, but nothing really happened in those down times. And even then, we weren't allowed to talk about the books on BZP for stupidly large amounts of time after publishing to avoid spoilers. We were all younger and passionate- things weren't as intense as you remember them being.

• Upvote 1

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

2015 is a really big flap to the face, the story was way to simple (in a bad way), the only good sets was Lewa, two protector (Stone & Jugnle), LoSS and Onua was okay. Gali and Pohatu are basiclly the worse sets out of this half of the year and don't get me started with how lazy the name LEGO are making nowadays. (if you want to know what I think about the rest of them, go look at my reviews of them)

Plus mostly the reason people like Gen 2 of bionicle is because:

1. It have the name bionicle and if people know a thing about fans of something, they just eat the death out of it.

2. It have the 6 original Toa (especially Tahu)
3. Sugarcoating (and people who know me, knows I hate sugarcoaters)

I really, really hope the books are way better then what we have right now, plus should this topic be made after 2015, not during 2015.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount
  • Upvote 2

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

The animations I like, the story seems a bit too simple though, who knows, may be as interesting as Bionicle's last story.

(Btw, I never got why people think this is gonna be like Bionicle's last story line. That's what I'm hoping for, but I highly doubt it's going to be as good as G1's story...)

As for the sets, I love CCBS, anyone who's ever seen me build knows I love CCBS to death.

All in all, I'm hopeful for the story, but not sure it's gonna be as good as I hope. No other problems really...

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

2015 is a really big flap to the face, the story was way to simple (in a bad way), the only good sets was Lewa, two protector (Stone & Jugnle), LoSS and Onua was okay. Gali and Pohatu are basiclly the worse sets out of this half of the year and don't get me started with how lazy the name LEGO are making nowadays. (if you want to know what I think about the rest of them, go look at my reviews of them)

1. It have the name bionicle and if people know a thing about fans of something, they just eat the death out of it.

3. Sugarcoating (and people who know me, knows I hate sugarcoaters).

Or... your opinions are so far from the norm that you've forgotten how others have their own legitimate reasons for liking the theme.

One of the biggest clues to that is that one of your least favorite sets (Gali) is one of THE most popular sets among other fans (including myself). That's not a matter of "sugarcoating"—they literally prefer aspects of her design to the other Toa. The same applies to opinions on other aspects to the theme, including the other sets, story, and promotions. Just because YOU don't enjoy them or appreciate the effort that went into them does not mean that it's impossible for anyone to derive enjoyment from them, or prefer aspects of them to what we've had before.

It's easy to cast a thing as objectively bad if you assume everybody's opinion but your own is invalid. But it takes a pretty massive ego and an impressive ability to deny reality to make that assumption.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

3. Sugarcoating (and people who know me, knows I hate sugarcoaters)

I really, really hope the books are way better then what we have right now, plus should this topic be made after 2015, not during 2015.

The story was too simple? May I remind you that we're only in April, and that we're getting novel in August? This isn't the entire story that we see in the videos. They're more like they're designed to welcome new fans, rather than lay out all the story in one go. In fact, I daresay that the original comics were the same way! We needed to wait until the books for more story detail. We're only in the fourth month, and Bionicle had 10 years to develop its story. Cut gen2's story some slack.

The original 6 Toa are great characters, and there's nothing wrong about bringing in new imaginings of them in a reboot. Just look at the 2009 Star Trek movie. Was it lazy to bring back Kirk, Spock, Bones, etc? No! They're the characters that represented the old generation, and were brought into the new generation as the main characters because they're just that: the main characters.

What sugercoating? Sugarcoating on the fans' part, or LEGO's? I'm honestly confused by this comment.

EDIT:

3. Sugarcoating (and people who know me, knows I hate sugarcoaters).

Or... your opinions are so far from the norm that you've forgotten how others have their own legitimate reasons for liking the theme.

One of the biggest clues to that is that one of your least favorite sets (Gali) is one of THE most popular sets among other fans (including myself). That's not a matter of "sugarcoating"—they literally prefer aspects of her design to the other Toa. The same applies to opinions on other aspects to the theme, including the other sets, story, and promotions. Just because YOU don't enjoy them or appreciate the effort that went into them does not mean that it's impossible for anyone to derive enjoyment from them, or prefer aspects of them to what we've had before.

It's easy to cast a thing as objectively bad if you assume everybody's opinion but your own is invalid. But it takes a pretty massive ego and an impressive ability to deny reality to make that assumption.

Oops, I didn't see that you already commented. Ah, well, it doesn't hurt to see multiple viewpoints.

Edited by Cwog
  • Upvote 1

The purpose of this topic is to get one-off opinions, not to draw out people to convert to your beliefs. 

I kindly ask that you refrain from performing actions like this.

I want to get the opinion of everyone, even if it seems "far from the norm". I just want to know what everyone thinks.  ;)

Thank you.

Edited by FordianL

The purpose of this topic is to get one-off opinions, not to draw out people to convert to your beliefs. 

I want to get the opinion of everyone, even if it seems "far from the norm". I just want to know what everyone thinks.  ;)

Thank you.

I apologize. Basically, I can respect opinions if they're founded, and SWH's didn't seem like it. Sometime's, people's opinions change when presented with new information. In any case, it wasn't even really my place to comment. Good luck with the rest of your post, though!

• Upvote 1

Yes - sets, contests, artwork.

I'm generally disappointed by the animations, but to me Bionicle has always been about the sets. I do love the artwork (especially the sort of style that we saw in the Easter poster, and the Toa looking down on the Ancient City), but I hope we see more. Like, 3+ cool promotional posters per wave would be amazing. I'm interested to see how the Skull gang will be portrayed in any artistic media.

IetTsFQ.png

Thank you.

Fair enough. But when you insist that the only reasons anyone can appreciate the theme are fanaticism, nostalgia, and sugarcoating, that's gone beyond offering your opinion on the theme—at that point, you're slandering the opinions of every other fan.

When I said SWH's opinion was "far from the norm", I was not trying to insist that his opinion on the sets or story were invalid. I was just trying to point out that his opinion of the theme was not any more objective or authoritative than anyone else's, and that it was inappropriate to insist otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I have never watch Star Track Cwog, but one thing to point out, is that bring back a character can be a good thing or a bad thing, company would being back characters just to get more money, while other company would bring back characters for the fan and story reasons.

And Lyichir, when you say "effort", do you mean not giving Gali a female voice actor, or give Pohato the worse gap, or having 4 out of 6 master sets arms can't handle the weapon (Gali having it the worse). Also I just notice I haven't put "some people" in what I have said, but that was about fanboys (the type of people who are known to love just about everything that they are a fanboy of, and would someone forever if someone don't like something that they like) and people who ARE Sugarcoating.

Also I like having an opinion being challenge by another person, that basically one of the things about forums, having your opinion being challenge, not like Sleeping With Sirens of "#$^# you and your opinion, you sick judgmental fool" (great now Jon gotten me doing it -_-)

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I have never watch Star Track Cwog, but one thing to point out, is that bring back a character can be a good thing or a bad thing, company would being back characters just to get more money, while other company would bring back characters for the fan and story reasons.

And Lyichir, when you say "effort", do you mean not giving Gali a female voice actor, or give Pohato the worse gap, or having 4 out of 6 master sets arms can't handle the weapon (Gali having it the worse). Also I just notice I haven't put "some people" in what I have said, but that was about fanboys (the type of people who are known to love just about everything that they are a fanboy of, and would someone forever if someone don't like something that they like) and people who ARE Sugarcoating.

Also I like having an opinion being challenge by another person, that basically one of the things about forums, having your opinion being challenge, not like Sleeping With Sirens of "#$^# you and your opinion, you sick judgmental fool" (great now Jon gotten me doing it -_-)

Perhaps I used a bad example, then. Look at DC Comics. They reboot their universe every 30 or so years to simplify the story for new fans. Is it bad that they bring back Batman each time? Also, how do you define whether the company is bringing back a character for monetary reasons or for fan and story reasons? You really can't, I don't think.

As for Gali and her voice, don't forget that the videos are narrated. One actor reads every line: narration, and the characters' lines. If you complain about Gali's actor, you may as well be complaining about any other, because, typically, multiple narrators aren't hired for gender diversity. Gali is female, but due to the nature of the videos, is voiced by a man. Get over it.

And some of the masters not being able to hold their weapons? Everyone except Onua can be modified in one way or another to accommodate the weight of their weapon. For example, I noticed that Pohatu's friction wasn't enough to hold up the PoS's staff, so I removed the 5m axel and replaced it with a 7m, then I added some more gears and a friction pin/axel. This effectively fixed his problem. The thing about LEGO sets is that they're made to be customizable. If you don't like that a set is designed a certain way, know that LEGO had a reason for designing it that way, and you can change it.

• Upvote 3

Which is exactly what we got with every setting post-Metru Nui. We got an island shape, some concept art, a few descriptions (maybe) of some local villages or landmarks, and that's it. People act like G1 was this massive story where the landscapes and places had character themselves, but after the first two islands, they were simply settings glossed over to focus on the Toa and villains at the expense of everything else. Were it not for MNOG or the Metru-Nui films, honestly we wouldn't have even had real settings there either. In G1 we got "the scary island of doom, the water island, the cave ceiling, the swamp, and the desert planet". That's about all we got, though Bara Magna did at least give us "we have villages that are giant robot parts apparently and we fight in arenas". Still not seeing much more than what we have now in that.

Sometimes I think people have built up this vision of this grand storytelling adventure in G1 that the reality just doesn't support. We had four books a year, with months in between them where there was no story information. It felt more exciting just by virtue of having Greg to constantly answer ceaseless questions, but nothing really happened in those down times. And even then, we weren't allowed to talk about the books on BZP for stupidly large amounts of time after publishing to avoid spoilers. We were all younger and passionate- things weren't as intense as you remember them being.

Or perhaps I was mostly reffering to Mata-Nui/2001 when I was saying gen 1? Maybe I wasn't entirely clear about things, but sometimes I feel people like you just go around hunting for reasons to say people with different ideas/opinions are wrong.

I never said the original Bionicle was perfect, but at the beginning things were a lot more fleshed out/interesting than they are now. Also nice to see none of my other criticisms are even relevant, so long as you find some way to pull some miniscule satisfaction out of saying one of my points is wrong. I'm not blinded by nostalgia, I'm looking at things realistically, and though later years of Bionicle weren't completely fleshed out, they weren't even part of the point I was trying to make. It's completely idiotic to try and compare one year to ten, so I had hoped it would be implied enough that I was only using the beginning of Bionicle.

Or perhaps I was mostly reffering to Mata-Nui/2001 when I was saying gen 1? Maybe I wasn't entirely clear about things, but sometimes I feel people like you just go around hunting for reasons to say people with different ideas/opinions are wrong.

I never said the original Bionicle was perfect, but at the beginning things were a lot more fleshed out/interesting than they are now. Also nice to see none of my other criticisms are even relevant, so long as you find some way to pull some miniscule satisfaction out of saying one of my points is wrong. I'm not blinded by nostalgia, I'm looking at things realistically, and though later years of Bionicle weren't completely fleshed out, they weren't even part of the point I was trying to make. It's completely idiotic to try and compare one year to ten, so I had hoped it would be implied enough that I was only using the beginning of Bionicle.

Well, it didn't exactly look that way to me. A lot of people are comparing Gen1 as a whole to Gen2 as a whole, so I can definitely see where both of you are coming from.

• Upvote 1

Well, it didn't exactly look that way to me. A lot of people are comparing Gen1 as a whole to Gen2 as a whole, so I can definitely see where both of you are coming from.

I see people constantly thinking and saying that G2's story is going to follow the same footsteps as G1's story, which I'd be okay with. But the animation style doesn't exactly make it look that way, but who knows, maybe G2's story will be better than G1's... :notsure:

• Upvote 1

|

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP

I see people constantly thinking and saying that G2's story is going to follow the same footsteps as G1's story, which I'd be okay with. But the animation style doesn't exactly make it look that way, but who knows, maybe G2's story will be better than G1's...  :notsure:

I don't think I'd be okay with gen2 following in gen1's footsteps. I saw that story already. It'd done, over. I don't want it back. It was nice, but let's get something new! I want new characters, new islands, new stories, new villains! You know, new ideas that blow your mind when they do a big reveal, new danger that our heroes need to overcome! Gen2 isn't Gen1. Let Gen2 is Gen2.

• Upvote 1

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP

I see people constantly thinking and saying that G2's story is going to follow the same footsteps as G1's story, which I'd be okay with. But the animation style doesn't exactly make it look that way, but who knows, maybe G2's story will be better than G1's...  :notsure:

I don't think I'd be okay with gen2 following in gen1's footsteps. I saw that story already. It'd done, over. I don't want it back. It was nice, but let's get something new! I want new characters, new islands, new stories, new villains! You know, new ideas that blow your mind when they do a big reveal, new danger that our heroes need to overcome! Gen2 isn't Gen1. Let Gen2 is Gen2.

I'm not saying follow the story EXACTLY, but sorta keep the feel of bionicle, do a few things the old series did while also blowing your mind with all the epic new stuffs.

• Upvote 1

|