Masks made of any metalic alloy

BMM95

If the Lego company let you make any mask of any metal or metalic alloy, what metalic alloy or metal would you use and why? 

if I had to make a mask it would be Tahu Nuva's mask but make Tahu Nuva masks in platinum, gold, and copper

Edited by BMM95

Platinum, gold and copper aren't alloys, just saying.

Ok anyways what masks do you have in mind

But is it illegal and are there ramifications? I mean there has to be a catch or something

Flintsmith's been making these for ages, so I don't think it's illegal. As for a catch, they're expensive. Very expensive. Like >$50.
Do you have ones made by flintsmith?

But is it illegal and are there ramifications? I mean there has to be a catch or something

The legality might be a bit dubious if you were selling them, but I doubt LEGO would send any kind of cease-and-desist. They have a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards customizers, since generally they have no reason to see customizers as competition (unlike the companies who sell LEGO knock-offs on toy store shelves, who present a more serious threat to their business).

I don't know a whole lot about the physical properties of metals other than the basics like "gold is soft" or "steel is hard". So I don't know a lot about which metals might be well-suited to making masks as a display piece, let alone for actual use on MOCs and sets.

But just speaking from an aesthetic standpoint, gold and silver versions of the Mask of Creation or the 2015 Toa masks would be nice (although I probably wouldn't want to make gold ones, since I wouldn't want to feel like I was diminishing the exclusivity of the authentic contest prizes). Gold and silver versions of the original Toa masks would also be cool. So would a gold Mask of Light and Mask of Life, or if we step away from precious metals for a moment, a cast iron Mask of Shadows!

But is there any one particular metal mask I would want to commission, create myself, or receive as a gift? Err... not particularly. They'd make good display pieces, but that would mean making space to display them. They'd look cool on sets or MOCs, but that might not be practical if they're made of a particularly precious metal or if they upset the weight distribution of the MOC. Not to mention they would never quite match the color scheme of any set or MOC, so you'd have to want them to stand out from it. The last thing I'd want is for them to just sit in a box or bag somewhere (which, I'm a bit ashamed to say, is what became of the one custom mask I DO own — as much as I love the design, I just don't have a nice enough place to display it).

And beyond that, I don't have a particular mask that is extraordinarily special to me (as in, incredibly more special than other hypothetical masks). Gali's new Mask of Water is a favorite of mine, but besides being a beautiful mask from a beautiful set, it doesn't hold any sentimental value. I never came up with a self-MOC or OC I was entirely happy with so it's not like I'd want to get a mask to fit that character.

Ooh, you know what would be really cool? A silver Mask of X-Ray Vision or Mask of Ice with some type of jewels inset in the lenses!

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Flintsmith's been making these for ages, so I don't think it's illegal. As for a catch, they're expensive. Very expensive. Like >$50.

There's a topic somewhere around here with some of his masks. If you like metal masks, here's something you may find pretty cool: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17169-solid-bronze-mask-of-time-human-scale/

Anyway, on to the OP question, I would like to see a gold Aki and a silver Rua.

EDIT: Not a topic, but I found the link in Letagi's collectibles topic: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tbjipjoj04e04nh/AAAarZIkXLPCRm2bIehl592ha#/

Edited by Toa Vanson

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Awesome

The legality might be a bit dubious if you were selling them, but I doubt LEGO would send any kind of cease-and-desist. They have a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards customizers, since generally they have no reason to see customizers as competition (unlike the companies who sell LEGO knock-offs on toy store shelves, who present a more serious threat to their business).

I don't know a whole lot about the physical properties of metals other than the basics like "gold is soft" or "steel is hard". So I don't know a lot about which metals might be well-suited to making masks as a display piece, let alone for actual use on MOCs and sets.

But just speaking from an aesthetic standpoint, gold and silver versions of the Mask of Creation or the 2015 Toa masks would be nice (although I probably wouldn't want to make gold ones, since I wouldn't want to feel like I was diminishing the exclusivity of the authentic contest prizes). Gold and silver versions of the original Toa masks would also be cool. So would a gold Mask of Light and Mask of Life, or if we step away from precious metals for a moment, a cast iron Mask of Shadows!

But is there any one particular metal mask I would want to commission, create myself, or receive as a gift? Err... not particularly. They'd make good display pieces, but that would mean making space to display them. They'd look cool on sets or MOCs, but that might not be practical if they're made of a particularly precious metal or if they upset the weight distribution of the MOC. Not to mention they would never quite match the color scheme of any set or MOC, so you'd have to want them to stand out from it. The last thing I'd want is for them to just sit in a box or bag somewhere (which, I'm a bit ashamed to say, is what became of the one custom mask I DO own — as much as I love the design, I just don't have a nice enough place to display it).

And beyond that, I don't have a particular mask that is extraordinarily special to me (as in, incredibly more special than other hypothetical masks). Gali's new Mask of Water is a favorite of mine, but besides being a beautiful mask from a beautiful set, it doesn't hold any sentimental value. I never came up with a self-MOC or OC I was entirely happy with so it's not like I'd want to get a mask to fit that character.

Ooh, you know what would be really cool? A silver Mask of X-Ray Vision or Mask of Ice with some type of jewels inset in the lenses!

you really really know what your dealing with when you think of all the things that would happen if you happen to get one mask made of a certain metal

There's a topic somewhere around here with some of his masks. If you like metal masks, here's something you may find pretty cool: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17169-solid-bronze-mask-of-time-human-scale/

Anyway, on to the OP question, I would like to see a gold Aki and a silver Rua.

EDIT: Not a topic, but I found the link in Letagi's collectibles topic: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tbjipjoj04e04nh/AAAarZIkXLPCRm2bIehl592ha#/

Dang that metal ru ru is amazing

I would love a solid platinum Tahu Nuva

I like the idea of a copper Huna or Komau. A real copper Mask of Victory would be incredibly awesome.

A gold Ignika would also be quite striking.

There's both a copper-colored Huna and Komau in the gallery I linked.

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

I like the idea of a copper Huna or Komau. A real copper Mask of Victory would be incredibly awesome.

Mata Nui, those are beautiful! :br: I didn't see your link at first. This gladdens my heart that those exist.

~Madu-

<}> <}>

~

RPG Profiles:

Cresk

Mata Nui, those are beautiful! :br: I didn't see your link at first. This gladdens my heart that those exist.

You can thank Flintsmith

Maybe an Ignika made out of something radioactive, to bring its legendary curse to life? :P

More realistically (less dangerously) I'd like to see the Vahi in copper, because once the metal started oxidizing it would probably look pretty ancient and epic. And maybe a Hau made out of iron, so that it could rust and be infected. I don't know, for some reason making these masks out of reactive stuff is the best thing I can come up with right now.

• Upvote 4

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Maybe an Ignika made out of something radioactive, to bring its legendary curse to life? :P

More realistically (less dangerously) I'd like to see the Vahi in copper, because once the metal started oxidizing it would probably look pretty ancient and epic. And maybe a Hau made out of iron, so that it could rust and be infected. I don't know, for some reason making these masks out of reactive stuff is the best thing I can come up with right now.

Radioactive you say? Time to get some Uranium glass samples.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Not sure that Uranium qualifies as a metallic alloy.

Oddly enough, that's because Uranium is a pure metal.

But then again, so is gold, aluminum, platinum, copper and almost every suggestion in this topic so far (as Chronix stated). May I suggest brass or steel?

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

It would be cool if Lego put those 14K gold masks in specially marked Bionicle canisters just like they did with the BOHROK KAL cans with the SSKK and WMKK

I feel like there would be a number of issues with that. Firstly, gold is HEAVY—it wouldn't take a genius to pick up a heavier-than-usual Toa set and realize it had a valuable mask inside. Secondly, particularly with the less substantial boxes, I can't help but figure that putting valuable, one-of-a-kind masks in random sets would lead to a lot of boxes being ripped open in stores by careless thieves searching for the rare masks.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Chronix mask is awesome

It would be cool if Lego put those 14K gold masks in specially marked Bionicle canisters just like they did with the BOHROK KAL cans with the SSKK and WMKK

I feel like there would be a number of issues with that. Firstly, gold is HEAVY—it wouldn't take a genius to pick up a heavier-than-usual Toa set and realize it had a valuable mask inside. Secondly, particularly with the less substantial boxes, I can't help but figure that putting valuable, one-of-a-kind masks in random sets would lead to a lot of boxes being ripped open in stores by careless thieves searching for the rare masks.
Hmm your right about that I wonder how many BOHROK KAL sets still have an SSKK or WMKK in them

Chronix mask is awesome

Hmm your right about that I wonder how many BOHROK KAL sets still have an SSKK or WMKK in them

I had a discussion with someone a little while ago about that. There very well could be some left over. It depends on the percentage of produced sets sold in North America (the only place where the promotion happened) that were actually opened; statistically speaking, that percentage would apply to the number of WMKK and SSKK still in sealed sets as well. Since there were only 72 SSKK in the first place the number that percentage yields would probably be less than one, but out of the 5000 WMKK there very well may still be some that haven't been found. Finding them now would be next to impossible though, and very expensive since sealed sets from that era sell for a fair bit. You'd be far better off just buying one next time there's an opportunity.

Anyways, Flintsmith can be tough to get a hold of because last time I checked his settings made it so that new conversations couldn't be started with him. However, I know that someone bought a single metal mask from him for $80 a few months ago. $50 was offered but wasn't high enough. 

Also, although it hasn't happened with Bionicle, LEGO has done random 14K gold pieces inside random sets before - for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, there were solid gold C-3PO minifigs inside certain sets (not to be confused with the 10,000 chrome gold ones randomly packaged inside the same line of sets that the solid gold ones were in).

To answer the topic question, I'd love to get a hold of the copper Huna and Komau that Flintsmith made, as well as his metal Vahi and Krana.

-Letagi

Edited by Letagi

I hope there are still some sskk and wmkk out there, I mean just imagine, opening a bohrok kal canister, seeing the velvet bag, taking the sskk or wmkk out of the bag, omg, it would feel like winning the superbowl, and Oscars 1,000 times in a row. I cant even begin to think what it would feel like.

It would be cool if someone found an SSKK and a WMKK in the same canister

I wonder if you can tell the difference between BOHROK KAL canisters that have WMKK or SSKK in them and the ones that don't, because there has to be a weight difference even if the SSKK and the WMKK are just small masks in a velvet bag with a card inside it too, not to mention the cd that comes with the BOHROK

Edited by Black Six