• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Doctor Who. Official!

Doctor who Sci-fi Time travel

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#881 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 09:38 AM

Isn't the matrix always on? Oh, except in the previous episode when Clara was walking through the market full of aliens, but that can be handwaved as the TARDIS not liking her and deciding to translate only when she really needs it.

i liked all the jokes about the translator in this episode, though. Nice bit of worldbuilding there.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

#882 Offline More Fierce Than Fire

More Fierce Than Fire
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,647 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think his point was that if the TARDIS was all the way in the South Pole then it should have been able to matrix-translate the Russian language for them. Maybe that was just lasting telepathy, the two continuing to hear Russian as English since the TARDIS had already started translating

The bells were ringing in the dale

And men looked up with faces pale

smaug.jpg

The dragon's ire more fierce than fire

Laid low their towers and houses frail

#883 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think his point was that if the TARDIS was all the way in the South Pole then it should have been able to matrix-translate the Russian language for them. Maybe that was just lasting telepathy, the two continuing to hear Russian as English since the TARDIS had already started translating

The translation matrix works by the TARDIS basically getting in a person's head once they've been in it. So the TARDIS doesn't actually need to be around ever again, it modifies a person as they enter.

Or that's how I always understood it, I think it was explained like that previously. Not sure what CF's point is....

stendan.jpg

#884 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,756 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 10:39 PM

My point was that since the TARDIS was nowhere near them, it shouldn't have been translating.

Yet it was for some reason.

There are some good hypotheses though.

And I don't think this is the first time things have been translating even though the TARDIS has been far away.

However, bear in mind that when the Doctor was unconscious and they were on the Sycorax ship, it wasn't translating, even though it obviously worked for Rose in previous episodes. So it can't be an "in your head" thing. But I find it weird that it's a "Doctor" thing.

I guess, in the words of Matt Smith, "Never apply logic to Who."

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs, Apr 14 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Where's Groot?guardians_galaxy_lego_banner.jpgHe's my favorite. :(

#885 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Book Badger

• 878 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 11:15 PM

That was a pretty enjoyable ep. I actually really liked Clara getting a little freaked out for a while there - the bubbly, get-to-adventuring personality might be a good match for the Doctor, but it also makes sense that someone with that personality is not going to immediately react well to the grislier parts of dealing with lethal aliens on a weekly basis.

#886 Offline Danska: Shadow Master

Danska: Shadow Master
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,823 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 15 2013 - 05:29 AM

That was my favourite episode for a good while. It reminded me a lot of Alien. Confined space, alien creature lurking in the shadows killing the crew one by one etc. And the episode does not suffer for the comparison. I was especially glad that they never showed the monster in full. That would have ruined it. The imagination is always scarier than the reality.

I'm continuing to be impressed with Clara. She actually reacts to, and is affected by, the terrible things she sees. She's definitely moving up my list of companions.

#887 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Book Badger

• 878 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 07:32 PM

So, the name of the finale has been announced.
Spoiler

#888 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 07:31 AM

Haha, "Hide" was a great episode! I loved the twist at the end. I'm still giddy from it...

Also:

Spoiler

Edited by Alyska, Apr 21 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#889 Offline takua123

takua123
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 338 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 08:56 AM

Anyone else notice Clara ALWAYS wears red/roses? Possibly a refrence to Rose? Hmmmm?

Tu2d6W7.jpg

#890 Offline Makuta Almanax

Makuta Almanax
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 440 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm sure it's just coincidence. Rose is gone. For Good. Nevermore. We established that when she got her own metacrisis doctor as a pet. But if it's not coincidence it's cute.

Hide was a better episode so far in the mixed bag that is this half of the series, but I'm annoyed the Cyberman episode isn't next...then again, it looks like next week will be "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", and while that was sort of done in The Doctor's Wife, this should be entertaining!

2. The TARDIS speaks again! I thought the initial use of the voice interface system in Let's Kill Hitler was a bit out-of-nowhere (especially given that it came so soon after an episode that established that the TARDIS could not appear in human form and speak to the Doctor), but it's nice to see more of the TARDIS's personality (Sassy monotone Clara-TARDIS for the win!)

Well the TARDIS has had an interface like that before - remember when it showed a 'if you're watching this I'm dead' message back in the ending episodes of Ecclestone? Granted it was a recording, but the TARDIS still chose to activate it...sort of. Besides, I like it when the TARDIS gets a few speaking lines/reactions. She's funny like that.

Edited by Makuta Almanax, Apr 21 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters: 
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics)                         SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth)                        MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)                      

#891 Offline Electric Turahk

Electric Turahk
  • Premier Member
  • The Drifter

• 13,067 posts

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 01:28 PM

I, for one, really enjoyed this latest episode. Much improved over the previous two, at any rate.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

#892 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm sure it's just coincidence. Rose is gone. For Good. Nevermore. We established that when she got her own metacrisis doctor as a pet. But if it's not coincidence it's cute.

Uhmmm... except that

Spoiler

#893 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,756 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 08:38 PM

I enjoyed the episode, especially when it when in unexpected directions. I did fine the monster unnecessarily disgusting. The blurry-anteater image I was picturing was more kid-friendly than a walking set of bones. :/

I think I could stare at Jessica Raine all day...

-CF

#894 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Book Badger

• 878 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 09:18 PM

Count me amongst the group that really liked that ep. A good bit of creepy buildup, but with some nice emotional scenes mixed in as well. Jenna-Louise Coleman continues to turn in a splendid performance as Clara.Not 100% sold on the twist on the end, but I think that's more because they crammed the reveal and resolution into about 60 seconds than because of the content of said twist.

Edited by GSR, Apr 21 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#895 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2013 - 10:09 PM

I did quite enjoy the episode, and I was glad it wasn't all just set in the house. I was expecting the ghost to be some misunderstood alien, it was good that it was a bit more complicated than that. Also liked the monster, though I kinda felt the Doctor's speech about 'boy meets girl' was a bit limited and simplified and not really fitting in with the show, but otherwise a good episode.

Next week's looks excellent too.

stendan.jpg

#896 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 123 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ok, that library is just plain showing off. =P

Also, I would love to live in a Tardis. BECAUSE WHY NOT?!

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

#897 Offline Neelh

Neelh
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,337 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't understand. Some lines implied it was a time loop and this episode was it breaking.

Taipu still won't love me.

tumblr_mn04u212Bs1rlaa4qo1_r1_500.png

taipu

i love you

love me back

my darling taipu

#898 Offline Alex Turner

Alex Turner
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Melted

• 4,554 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 05:35 PM

I can see why people wouldn't like tonight's episode due to it's wobbliness, but personally, I absolutely loved it. Gloriously wibbly, as an episode set inside the TARDIS should be IMO.

Also, I like Clara more and more every episode. I really don't want her to turn out to be a trap or something because, in all honesty, I will cry. That would not be okay.

Just noticed something upon rewatching Bells of Saint John:

"Eleven's the best. You will cry you eyes out."

Moffat's sneaky way of saying, "my era is the best and most tear-jerking"?

1896790_10153783795955408_94489998_n.jpg

That's not a skirt, girl, that's a sawn-off shotgun / 
And I can only hope you've got it aimed at me

#899 Offline Neelh

Neelh
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,337 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 04:54 AM

^Yeah. Basically.

Taipu still won't love me.

tumblr_mn04u212Bs1rlaa4qo1_r1_500.png

taipu

i love you

love me back

my darling taipu

#900 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 07:27 AM

Oh, that episode was gloriously creepy... I'm still shivering...

Spoiler

#901 Offline Makuta Almanax

Makuta Almanax
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 440 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 08:15 AM

To be honest, I'm not even sure. I didn't fully understand what they were at all. Maybe it was explained but really missed something.

Also, I thought the episode was really well-written. You really grow to hate those slavage guys except for the

Spoiler
and it was a good episode overall. I think the library was my favourite part of the TARDIS, especially when Clara read the book and said "so that's who...". Nice foreshadowing for future events...although I'm not sure the series would be able to continue if we ever learned his name as an audience.Oh, and I like the touches like Encyclopedia Gallifrey being in bottled form. Imagine having a drink of that at a party!

And then there was the Eye of Harmony. That confused me because I thought the TARDIS ran on time energy. But looked it up, it USED to use the Eye of Harmony as a 'link' to the Gallifreyan original but since the original is gone then it uses time energy, thus the rift is needed.

My only complaint was the title of the episode. I guessed it as soon as the trailer played last week, it could have been a little better. Oh well, we got some nice TARDIS scenes and a creepy monster. 

It still irks me that we STILL don't get Cybermen next week. come on, we've all seen the photos! How much longer do we have to wait!

Other notes:- The swimming pool's back AND we got to see it. That was cool! 

- the library...my god..,,I was looking at the stuff hidden around, like River's cot, and trying to work out if there were any other old who trinkets I might know of. 

- bit of a shame we couldn't see the old console like we did the last time the TARDIS was invaded, but time echos are good too.

I'm starting to think the TARDIS should give herself more natural defences from being damaged. She's a living machine after all.

#902 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 123 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 08:27 AM

Did ANYBODY notice the Umbrella from The Snowmen when Clara climbed up the ladder to the tardis with the Doctor?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

#903 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 09:20 AM

Okay, after reading stuff elsewhere, it makes more sense... by Doctor Who standards

Spoiler

#904 Offline Andrewnuva199

Andrewnuva199
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,887 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 10:38 AM

Did ANYBODY notice the Umbrella from The Snowmen when Clara climbed up the ladder to the tardis with the Doctor?

I'm reading it was actually the Seventh Doctor's from before he got his signature Question Mark one.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

#905 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 123 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm reading it was actually the Seventh Doctor's from before he got his signature Question Mark one.

Oh right...arkwaaaaard

So anyone wanna try Fish Fingers & Custard? Seems nice

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

#906 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Book Badger

• 878 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 28 2013 - 11:41 PM

For the most part I liked the episode. It did some really nicely creepy stuff with the monsters, and as has been mentioned there were a lot of cool environments.
Spoiler

Edited by GSR, Apr 28 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#907 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 123 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 01:34 AM

I've just noticed the Doctor's cot was in the archives (is that what it is?). Awww. :3

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

#908 Offline -Toa Lhikevikk-

-Toa Lhikevikk-
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,512 posts

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 11:37 AM

Wow. That was probably my new favourite episode. I've have to go rewatch my other favourites to see how they compare, though.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#909 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 06:33 PM

Looking forward to next week's episode...

Spoiler

Edited by Alyska, Apr 29 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#910 Offline takua123

takua123
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 338 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 07:37 PM

Anybody else freaking out that Clara could read the Time war book??? It was in gallifreyan! And the TARDIS does not translate that stuff! What the? Anybody else catch this? No? Just me? Anyway, this backs up my theory that Clara's related to the doctor somehow.

Hide was a better episode so far in the mixed bag that is this half of the series, but I'm annoyed the Cyberman episode isn't next...then again, it looks like next week will be "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", and while that was sort of done in The Doctor's Wife, this should be entertaining!

2. The TARDIS speaks again! I thought the initial use of the voice interface system in Let's Kill Hitler was a bit out-of-nowhere (especially given that it came so soon after an episode that established that the TARDIS could not appear in human form and speak to the Doctor), but it's nice to see more of the TARDIS's personality (Sassy monotone Clara-TARDIS for the win!)

Well the TARDIS has had an interface like that before - remember when it showed a 'if you're watching this I'm dead' message back in the ending episodes of Ecclestone? Granted it was a recording, but the TARDIS still chose to activate it...sort of. Besides, I like it when the TARDIS gets a few speaking lines/reactions. She's funny like that.

Actually, Billie is confirmed for the 50th, so is David, so I think that it is certainly a refrence.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

#911 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,756 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 10:54 PM

Alyska, spoiler tags around discussing an upcoming episode, please? Luckily everyone is doing it for the one that just aired.

Spoiler

I certainly enjoy Clara continually wearing dresses. :)

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs, Apr 29 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#912 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2013 - 11:32 PM

Sorry! Didn't think it would bother anyone- I thought most people would have seen the preview already.

@Takua123- Huh. I hadn't noticed that... it could also be a writing goof, or it could indicate that the TARDIS is doing something unusual for her. In The Rings of Ahkaten, it appears that it deliberately wasn't translating most of the alien languages for her out of spite, and this last episode arguably implies that the TARDIS has warmed to her and wants to protect her, so it might mean the TARDIS let her read it on purpose (Together with the fact that she was deliberately rearranging rooms, possibly to guide Clara to the library).

#913 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 30 2013 - 07:45 AM

So I guess the TARDIS is unmappable, then? If the rooms keep rearranging themselves and it's of an infinite size. The possibilities, then, they're endless!

Hm... anyone willing to make bets on what the Doctor's real name is?

~ CHTrilogy

whoa.png

#914 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,756 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 30 2013 - 08:56 AM

Alyska, I avoid spoilers, and I know I'm not alone in this.

So I guess the TARDIS is unmappable, then? If the rooms keep rearranging themselves and it's of an infinite size. The possibilities, then, they're endless!

Hm... anyone willing to make bets on what the Doctor's real name is?

It's definitely unmappable and constantly changing, growing, shrinking, and whatnot.

His name is totally Bob! XD

I hope we don't find out his real name. Someone isn't going to be happy with it--remember when we found out Makuta's real name? What a letdown. And I feel it would take some of the spirit and mystery out of the show, since it's been such an important mystery (then again, it's one that Moffat himself has been pointing to since Silence in the Library.)

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs, Apr 30 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#915 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 30 2013 - 06:39 PM

Speaking of Silence In the Library... Jenna Louise Coleman has said that

Spoiler

#916 Offline Rahkshi Guurahk

Rahkshi Guurahk
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 449 posts
  •  

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:04 PM

Somehow I feel that every person we meet named Clara, Oswin, or Oswald will be Clara.

-Rahkshi Guurahk

GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

#917 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 123 posts
  •  

Posted May 03 2013 - 01:41 PM

Guys, what happened to Jenny anyway?  We know she livid...that or she died on a planet. I kinda want her to meet Clara. :P

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

#918 Offline Makuta Almanax

Makuta Almanax
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 440 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2013 - 02:32 PM

Guess I'll give the first info on today's episode, the Crimson Horror. Spoilers abound!

Spoiler

On a note about last week's episode, I'm a little worried about the possible revelation of the Doctor's name. That would kill the show, would it not? Moffat claims he knows but I severely doubt that. After all, it's not like such a detail was passed down to every writer of the show, else it would be common knowledge. I think he's just made up the name he thinks is suiting and is going to run with it. I just really hope when the Question is asked we don't hear it, just like the time at River Song's wedding where it was a trick.

Edit: just a quick note in case anyone wants to correct me: In the spoiler I say "Doctor Who UNDER moffat" and not "by Moffat". He is pretty much calling the shots even when he doesn't write the script, after all.

Edited by Makuta Almanax, May 04 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#919 Offline More Fierce Than Fire

More Fierce Than Fire
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,647 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2013 - 03:45 PM

Is it me, or is Doctor Who under Moffat a bit too fascinated by Victorian England? Granted, this was Yorkshire and not London, but even so I can't shake the feeling it's just an excuse to film on the same timeframe as Sherlock or something like that.

You do realise that Sherlock is set in the modern day, right?

The bells were ringing in the dale

And men looked up with faces pale

smaug.jpg

The dragon's ire more fierce than fire

Laid low their towers and houses frail

#920 Offline Alyska

Alyska
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:50 PM

Although, this season has been absolutely loaded with Sherlock references, regardless of the period. 

In The Angels take Manhattan, there's a chapter in River's book titled "The Dying Detective" (the name of a Sherlock Holmes story.)

The Snowmen had some pretty obvious shoutouts, and Holmes was clearly the inspiration for Madame Vastra (other way around in-universe).

The Bells of St John heavily echoed Sherlock in its overall visual style and certain plot elements. Also, Amy's book features two boys who look remarkably similar to Sherlock and John on the cover, along with the three clues that were given out before Season 2- The Woman (the little girl), The Hound (the small dog) and The Fall (the waterfall in the background).

Hide had a character who was a "Baker Street Irregular" (die-hard Holmes fanboy), and the monster was called "The Crooked Man" (another Sherlock Holmes story). 

So, yeah, I think it's pretty much a rule that you have to be obsessed with Sherlock Holmes if you want to write for Doctor Who. Makes me wonder if Season Three of Sherlock will be loaded with Doctor Who references.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users