Doctor Who. Official!

Isn't the matrix always on? Oh, except in the previous episode when Clara was walking through the market full of aliens, but that can be handwaved as the TARDIS not liking her and deciding to translate only when she really needs it.

i liked all the jokes about the translator in this episode, though. Nice bit of worldbuilding there.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

My point was that since the TARDIS was nowhere near them, it shouldn't have been translating.

Yet it was for some reason.

There are some good hypotheses though.

And I don't think this is the first time things have been translating even though the TARDIS has been far away.

However, bear in mind that when the Doctor was unconscious and they were on the Sycorax ship, it wasn't translating, even though it obviously worked for Rose in previous episodes. So it can't be an "in your head" thing. But I find it weird that it's a "Doctor" thing.

I guess, in the words of Matt Smith, "Never apply logic to Who."

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

That was a pretty enjoyable ep. I actually really liked Clara getting a little freaked out for a while there - the bubbly, get-to-adventuring personality might be a good match for the Doctor, but it also makes sense that someone with that personality is not going to immediately react well to the grislier parts of dealing with lethal aliens on a weekly basis.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

That was my favourite episode for a good while. It reminded me a lot of Alien. Confined space, alien creature lurking in the shadows killing the crew one by one etc. And the episode does not suffer for the comparison. I was especially glad that they never showed the monster in full. That would have ruined it. The imagination is always scarier than the reality.

I'm continuing to be impressed with Clara. She actually reacts to, and is affected by, the terrible things she sees. She's definitely moving up my list of companions.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

So, the name of the finale has been announced.

It's to be titled "The Name of the Doctor".Given this is Moffat, I expect this episode to do everything except actually tell us the name of the Doctor.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

Haha, "Hide" was a great episode! I loved the twist at the end. I'm still giddy from it...

Also:

1. The professor being a Baker Street Irregular and the monster appearing in the credits as "The Crooked Man"- looks like being a Sherlock Holmes fanboy is an essential qualification for writers of this show.

2. The TARDIS speaks again! I thought the initial use of the voice interface system in Let's Kill Hitler was a bit out-of-nowhere (especially given that it came so soon after an episode that established that the TARDIS could not appear in human form and speak to the Doctor), but it's nice to see more of the TARDIS's personality (Sassy monotone Clara-TARDIS for the win!)

3. The atmospheric buildup with the ghost and the monster were great... also nice bit of parodying the fact that the monster is always much, much scarier before you actually see it.

Edited by Alyska

I'm sure it's just coincidence. Rose is gone. For Good. Nevermore. We established that when she got her own metacrisis doctor as a pet. But if it's not coincidence it's cute.

Hide was a better episode so far in the mixed bag that is this half of the series, but I'm annoyed the Cyberman episode isn't next...then again, it looks like next week will be "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", and while that was sort of done in The Doctor's Wife, this should be entertaining!

2. The TARDIS speaks again! I thought the initial use of the voice interface system in Let's Kill Hitler was a bit out-of-nowhere (especially given that it came so soon after an episode that established that the TARDIS could not appear in human form and speak to the Doctor), but it's nice to see more of the TARDIS's personality (Sassy monotone Clara-TARDIS for the win!)

Well the TARDIS has had an interface like that before - remember when it showed a 'if you're watching this I'm dead' message back in the ending episodes of Ecclestone? Granted it was a recording, but the TARDIS still chose to activate it...sort of. Besides, I like it when the TARDIS gets a few speaking lines/reactions. She's funny like that.

Edited by Makuta Almanax

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

I'm sure it's just coincidence. Rose is gone. For Good. Nevermore. We established that when she got her own metacrisis doctor as a pet. But if it's not coincidence it's cute.

Uhmmm... except that

Rose is coming back for the 50th...

Count me amongst the group that really liked that ep. A good bit of creepy buildup, but with some nice emotional scenes mixed in as well. Jenna-Louise Coleman continues to turn in a splendid performance as Clara.Not 100% sold on the twist on the end, but I think that's more because they crammed the reveal and resolution into about 60 seconds than because of the content of said twist.

Edited by GSR

Ok, that library is just plain showing off. =P

Also, I would love to live in a Tardis. BECAUSE WHY NOT?!

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

I can see why people wouldn't like tonight's episode due to it's wobbliness, but personally, I absolutely loved it. Gloriously wibbly, as an episode set inside the TARDIS should be IMO.

Also, I like Clara more and more every episode. I really don't want her to turn out to be a trap or something because, in all honesty, I will cry. That would not be okay.

Just noticed something upon rewatching Bells of Saint John:

"Eleven's the best. You will cry you eyes out."

Moffat's sneaky way of saying, "my era is the best and most tear-jerking"?

Oh, that episode was gloriously creepy... I'm still shivering...

Still don't quite get what was up with the time-zombies, though... was the Clara-zombie from a possible future that could have been the outcome of the episode, or does it mean she's still set to die again?

To be honest, I'm not even sure. I didn't fully understand what they were at all. Maybe it was explained but really missed something.

Also, I thought the episode was really well-written. You really grow to hate those slavage guys except for the

guy who thinks he's a robot

and it was a good episode overall. I think the library was my favourite part of the TARDIS, especially when Clara read the book and said "so that's who...". Nice foreshadowing for future events...although I'm not sure the series would be able to continue if we ever learned his name as an audience.Oh, and I like the touches like Encyclopedia Gallifrey being in bottled form. Imagine having a drink of that at a party!

And then there was the Eye of Harmony. That confused me because I thought the TARDIS ran on time energy. But looked it up, it USED to use the Eye of Harmony as a 'link' to the Gallifreyan original but since the original is gone then it uses time energy, thus the rift is needed.

My only complaint was the title of the episode. I guessed it as soon as the trailer played last week, it could have been a little better. Oh well, we got some nice TARDIS scenes and a creepy monster.

It still irks me that we STILL don't get Cybermen next week. come on, we've all seen the photos! How much longer do we have to wait!

Other notes:- The swimming pool's back AND we got to see it. That was cool!

- the library...my god..,,I was looking at the stuff hidden around, like River's cot, and trying to work out if there were any other old who trinkets I might know of.

- bit of a shame we couldn't see the old console like we did the last time the TARDIS was invaded, but time echos are good too.

I'm starting to think the TARDIS should give herself more natural defences from being damaged. She's a living machine after all.

Did ANYBODY notice the Umbrella from The Snowmen when Clara climbed up the ladder to the tardis with the Doctor?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Okay, after reading stuff elsewhere, it makes more sense... by Doctor Who standards

So, the monsters were Clara, the Doctor and the two brothers from a possible future in which they were badly burned not-quite-to-death by being in that extremely hot room. I didn't immediately get that because the brothers fusing together didn't really look like people who were burning to death and the monsters didn't look or behave at all like burns victims. Still insanely creepy, though.

I am a little disappointed that Clara learning some important information (both about herself and The Doctor) was undone, but I suppose it's a bit early for all that to be revealed...

And I loved all the rooms of the TARDIS and callbacks to previous eps- they even showed the legendary swimming pool (We only saw it briefly, but I could have sworn it was the one from Sherlock... ) also, just the sheer creativity that went into so many of those ideas- liquid encyclopedias, organic metal machines, a white void full of floating machine parts... they've really just gone all-out in the style department this season. I... I have trouble expressing how much I admire it all. The people working on this show obviously just... love it so much. That's the only way I can describe it. They love what they do and it shows.

Did ANYBODY notice the Umbrella from The Snowmen when Clara climbed up the ladder to the tardis with the Doctor?

I'm reading it was actually the Seventh Doctor's from before he got his signature Question Mark one.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

I'm reading it was actually the Seventh Doctor's from before he got his signature Question Mark one.

Oh right...arkwaaaaard

So anyone wanna try Fish Fingers & Custard? Seems nice

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

For the most part I liked the episode. It did some really nicely creepy stuff with the monsters, and as has been mentioned there were a lot of cool environments.

The reset button ending was... well, at least they were literal in their use of the trope. It's not horrible, but it is a little frustrating - if they'd dodged Clara learning the Doctor's name and then had her remember the episode, it could've set up some good tension between the two of them. Seeing yourself get turned into a time zombie probably puts some strain on your relationship with the guy who put you in that situation to begin with.

Edited by GSR

I've just noticed the Doctor's cot was in the archives (is that what it is?). Awww. :3

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

Wow. That was probably my new favourite episode. I've have to go rewatch my other favourites to see how they compare, though.

Also, I suddenly get the feeling that we're finally going to get an explanation of the events of Series 5 and 6 soon, considering we saw a revisiting of the exploding TARDIS/cracks in time theme. If so, my faith in Moffat will be completely restored, because the lack of closure to all that has been my only fault with him thus far.

bug_animated.gif

Looking forward to next week's episode...

It will be the first time that Clara actually gets to meet some of the Doctor's old friends. Not only that, but Jenny, Vastra and Strax have met the previous version of Clara- it will be interesting to see if the Doctor succeeds in getting them all to keep their mouths shut. My guess is that they won't tell her outright-it's not a Moffat episode, after all, but they might let enough slip for her to become suspicious...

Edited by Alyska

Anybody else freaking out that Clara could read the Time war book??? It was in gallifreyan! And the TARDIS does not translate that stuff! What the? Anybody else catch this? No? Just me? Anyway, this backs up my theory that Clara's related to the doctor somehow.

Hide was a better episode so far in the mixed bag that is this half of the series, but I'm annoyed the Cyberman episode isn't next...then again, it looks like next week will be "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", and while that was sort of done in The Doctor's Wife, this should be entertaining!

Well the TARDIS has had an interface like that before - remember when it showed a 'if you're watching this I'm dead' message back in the ending episodes of Ecclestone? Granted it was a recording, but the TARDIS still chose to activate it...sort of. Besides, I like it when the TARDIS gets a few speaking lines/reactions. She's funny like that.

Actually, Billie is confirmed for the 50th, so is David, so I think that it is certainly a refrence.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

Alyska, spoiler tags around discussing an upcoming episode, please? Luckily everyone is doing it for the one that just aired.

That time war book was a shocker! I want to read it. And live in the library.

I love that we saw the Eye of Harmony! Haven't seen that since the TV movie, have we?

I certainly enjoy Clara continually wearing dresses. :)

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Sorry! Didn't think it would bother anyone- I thought most people would have seen the preview already.

@Takua123- Huh. I hadn't noticed that... it could also be a writing goof, or it could indicate that the TARDIS is doing something unusual for her. In The Rings of Ahkaten, it appears that it deliberately wasn't translating most of the alien languages for her out of spite, and this last episode arguably implies that the TARDIS has warmed to her and wants to protect her, so it might mean the TARDIS let her read it on purpose (Together with the fact that she was deliberately rearranging rooms, possibly to guide Clara to the library).

Alyska, I avoid spoilers, and I know I'm not alone in this.

So I guess the TARDIS is unmappable, then? If the rooms keep rearranging themselves and it's of an infinite size. The possibilities, then, they're endless!

Hm... anyone willing to make bets on what the Doctor's real name is?

It's definitely unmappable and constantly changing, growing, shrinking, and whatnot.

His name is totally Bob! XD

I hope we don't find out his real name. Someone isn't going to be happy with it--remember when we found out Makuta's real name? What a letdown. And I feel it would take some of the spirit and mystery out of the show, since it's been such an important mystery (then again, it's one that Moffat himself has been pointing to since Silence in the Library.)

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Speaking of Silence In the Library... Jenna Louise Coleman has said that

The Doctor has met Clara more than three times before.

What if the little girl in that ep was another version of her? Many people have pointed out the parallels between her and Oswin.

Somehow I feel that every person we meet named Clara, Oswin, or Oswald will be Clara.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Guys, what happened to Jenny anyway? We know she livid...that or she died on a planet. I kinda want her to meet Clara. :P

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

Guess I'll give the first info on today's episode, the Crimson Horror. Spoilers abound!

It was quite awesome, even if the first few minutes left me with far more questions than answers. The episode was quite good at blatantly averting the Doctor's recent overuse of the Sonic Screwdriver as a magic wand:"I've got a Sonic Screwdriver!""And I've got a chair." *throws*

The 'enemy' was an interesting one since it dates back to Madame Vastra's time, and we got to see Jenny (Vastra's Jenny, not daughter-Jenny...why hasn't she come back yet!) be a very...well, awesome. Though the earlier scenes of the Doctor were a little painful and how he sorts himself out makes no sense to me since it wasn't explained. The twist with the antagonist was good, too. Catfight!Is it me, or is Doctor Who under Moffat a bit too fascinated by Victorian England? Granted, this was Yorkshire and not London, but even so I can't shake the feeling it's just an excuse to film on the same timeframe as Sherlock or something like that.Now, the ending of the episode, that was something interesting - the kids finding photos of Clara's recent adventures to the past and showing them to her, and then that interesting bit where they show 'governess' clara, who modern Clara doesn't recognise, and we got this exchange:"Victorian London""But I wasn't in London, I was in Victorian Yorkshire...!!"And the children's reactions to finding out their nanny has a time-travelling 'boyfriend'. I am very excited for the potential here!Then, there's NEXT TIME!FINALLY, the Cyberman episode I've been waiting for!From the looks of things, we're at some futuristic amusement park which has been taken over in secret by the Cybermen. At some stage it appears that the Doctor undergoes a very very minimalistic partial conversion and the Cybermen wish to have the Doctor save them...though haven't we already had this with the Daleks this series? Eh, whatever. It looks like we're now getting 'gradual' upgrades rather than clear-cut factory ones. nice to get some body horror in this now - although they actually started that in one of the video games.

On a note about last week's episode, I'm a little worried about the possible revelation of the Doctor's name. That would kill the show, would it not? Moffat claims he knows but I severely doubt that. After all, it's not like such a detail was passed down to every writer of the show, else it would be common knowledge. I think he's just made up the name he thinks is suiting and is going to run with it. I just really hope when the Question is asked we don't hear it, just like the time at River Song's wedding where it was a trick.

Edit: just a quick note in case anyone wants to correct me: In the spoiler I say "Doctor Who UNDER moffat" and not "by Moffat". He is pretty much calling the shots even when he doesn't write the script, after all.

Edited by Makuta Almanax

Although, this season has been absolutely loaded with Sherlock references, regardless of the period.

In The Angels take Manhattan, there's a chapter in River's book titled "The Dying Detective" (the name of a Sherlock Holmes story.)

The Snowmen had some pretty obvious shoutouts, and Holmes was clearly the inspiration for Madame Vastra (other way around in-universe).

The Bells of St John heavily echoed Sherlock in its overall visual style and certain plot elements. Also, Amy's book features two boys who look remarkably similar to Sherlock and John on the cover, along with the three clues that were given out before Season 2- The Woman (the little girl), The Hound (the small dog) and The Fall (the waterfall in the background).

Hide had a character who was a "Baker Street Irregular" (die-hard Holmes fanboy), and the monster was called "The Crooked Man" (another Sherlock Holmes story).

So, yeah, I think it's pretty much a rule that you have to be obsessed with Sherlock Holmes if you want to write for Doctor Who. Makes me wonder if Season Three of Sherlock will be loaded with Doctor Who references.