Welcome to an Expanded Multiverse contest, focusing on the Shard Moons of the Shattered Planet, Clysmax. [The Expanded Multiverse is a collection of fanon characters, places, stories, etc. along with the Cipher Chronicles, that was begun on the old forum and is continuing now. There are seven main planets, one of them the Shattered planet, Clysmax. Here is the current EM Discussion topic for non-contest comments and questions.]When that planet Shattered, it primarily broke into six main Fragments devoted to the six primary canon elements [the good Allied Fragments are Fire, Water, Cave, Stone, and Air, versus the evil Ice Fragment; see the 100-page guide in the discussion topic's first post for more], and we already know a lot about those. But we know very little about the smaller Shards except that there is one for each of the other canon elements and the main (non-combo) Multiverse elements.We originally left this as an unorganized open call in the EM Discussion topic for proposed descriptions of the Shard Moons, but it got so hard to keep up with it, and we also considered just an open proposal topic about this that wouldn't have quite been a contest. Eventually we just decided the best approach is simply to do a contest.So here we are. Anybody may enter short text descriptions of any Shard Moon -- and as many as you want! [NOTE: The top winning Shards will play a heavy role in the Season 1 finale of the Cipher Chronicles, which I'll be writing and will take place after Current Events, which is being posted now. :) Other Shards may be featured in Season 2.]How does the elemental theme manifest itself on its Shard? What's the environment like? How about the buildings, technology, and biology? What about culture and government? In short, you get to make up small worlds! You can even include artwork if you wish. What Shards are there, you ask?Here's a draft of a map, showing the orbital arrangement of the Shard Moons, with a finished CG-text list of the Elements on the right:And here's just the list, along with the EM prefixes. Each moon may be alternatively called, for example, the Lava Shard, or Ig-Clysmax.You can read brief definitions of these elements here (the first two lists there), and if you'd like more clarification on the noncanon ones, feel free to ask. NOTE: In the case of Gravity and the other canon elements with non-canon prefixes, the ones shown here are considered standard for the moons. So the Gravity Shard is normally called Gar-Clysmax. However, inhabitants may be called Ba-Matoran or Gar-Matoran depending on your preference. The EM prefixes are basically a dialect used widely in the Multiverse, especially for the Shard Moons.There are a few traits that apply to all Shards you should be aware of:
- Each Shard is shaped roughly like a cone, just like the larger Fragments, with people living on the mostly flat side (which was originally part of the planet's surface). NOTE: Shapes on map are approximate; you may reinterpret them as you wish.
- The Moons all orbit in a ring around the Fragments as shown on the map. They do NOT orbit particular Fragments.
- Just like the Fragments, each moon's environment and/or technology is somehow themed around the element.To use the Fragments as precedent, Ta-Clysmax has a huge volcanic pocket of flammable gas which vents in canyons on its surface side, igniting where the vents come in contact with air, so there is literal fire there (not lava like Ta-Koro). Ko-Clysmax is a snowy and icy mountain range. Po is a rocky desert, Le is a forest with technological emphasis on "airshield" technology, and Ga is a series of lakes in a forest. Onu-Clysmax is the only one not called by its English element name ('cuz Earth is already a planet ); it's the Cave Fragment because it's filled with caves and specializes in artificial gravity generators.
- All Fragments and Shards have large artificial gravity generators purchased from Onu-Clysmax long ago. The Cave Fragment often has tiny generators throughout the walls, ceilings, and floors of the caves but has areas with little to no gravity. The Gravity Shard may have features similar to this as you wish. Every side of the moons can have gravity, so you can walk on the sides that were originally underground on the planet, and even build cities there.
- Each Shard's inhabitants are usually associated with the thematic element, i.e. Fe-Matoran on the Iron Shard, etc.
- All Shards are independant from the Fragments, and the moons together are self-sufficient for most of their needs. Rarely they trade with the other Fragments. Also all travel and trade to other Multiverse planets must go through one of the six Olmak Totems, which are owned by the Fragments. [See the 100-page guide for more.]
- The moons are neutral towards the Fragments. So Ice (the only evil Fragment) doesn't own, or have strong allegiance to, any of the moons. At least not now in Year 500; it's possible that in history Ice both conquered and allied with moons. Also the five Allied Fragments are not technically allied with the moons either, although if Ice tried to attack a Shard the Allies would try to defend them. The Fragments' ongoing conflict is largely between themselves.
- This contest is only for the 24 largest moons, each devoted to one of the 24 non-combo elements besides the standard canon six. There are also combo elements in the EM, and countless smaller moons (some mere boulders) within the ring of moons. Some of those smaller moons may be associated with combo elements but this contest is NOT for those.
- Prior to Clysmax's Shattering, the planet was organized roughly like a six-sided cube (though spherical of course), with smallish seas / large lakes in the Water Region. The rest was mostly dry land, with the smaller elemental Regions that became Shard Moons in various places between the big regions. Thus the Shard Moons can be said to have originally been associated with a particular Fragment or pair of Fragments. But this is arguably best avoided in entries to save confusion; the EM leaders will likely decide this ourselves later.
- We're NOT defining every corner of any Shard Moon; in keeping with EM tradition, alternate interpretations are valid for your EM stories, in localized areas (as well as the science fiction phenomenon of Reality Shifting). Here you're defining the overall basics of each Moon.
- Anyone may enter as many Shard entries as they like.
- Those who previously posted proposals in the Discussion Topic MAY, yes may, repost them here, and are strongly encouraged to [Likewise, those who had posted entries in the original contest may repost those here]. I have a collection of them handy as a backup if you don't, but please do, so everybody can conveniently see as many other entries as possible.
- We reserve the right to edit entries and combine multiple good entries as we deem fit in the judging stage. The final bios will likely be rewritten concisely by me with links to the source posts, but credit will be given for the ideas.
- Whether polls will be involved will depend on how the contest goes, if we're unsure of anything, etc. I will probably use polls if there's more than one entry for a Shard, although we judges reserve the right to choose if the choice is clear.
- Entries should be text descriptions, no longer than 600 words. (And please split up any long paragraphs; four lines is about the ideal maximum for a paragraph.) Post them in this topic.
- Entries MAY, yes may, contain original artwork in addition to your text descriptions. (But art isn't required.) Theoretically you could even MOC certain things like common structure designs or the like, but please do not include original living species as other contests focus on those. NOTE: Please keep all direct-linked images less than 500 KB in filesize, and link any larger pics.
- Whatever you enter, by definition you give up exclusive rights to it; since this is the whole point of the EM.
- You may, yes, edit entries for as long as the entry period is open. (Meaning you may make changes to your entry after posting it.)
- Obey all BZPower rules.
[size="3"][b]ELEMENT Shard, PRE-Clysmax[/b][/size][b]Member Name:[/b] [Please use the username you want permanently on record.][Include any images here.][b]Description:[/b] [600 words max.]Replace "ELEMENT" with the English element name (i.e. "Sonics") and PRE with the prefix (i.e. "De").Entry Period:
Edited by bonesiii, Jul 18 2012 - 08:05 PM.