BZPower News Sidebar

Back in the day we had a cool little feature that showed the most recent BZPower news story on the top on the forum header. Due to some performance issues, that feature had to be removed - but today, thanks to the wonders of the forum sidebar, it returns! Assuming you don't have the sidebar hidden, you can now see and access the three most recent news stories whenever you're browsing the forum index. Enjoy!View the full article

Considering talkback buttons on the front page simply link to the News Discussion forum page, which is located right next to the sidebar... yeah.But hey its good to have it back. Now all those people who never visit the front page can still read up on the news we post. ;):music:

Oh man, this anniversary is turning out fantastic. :D Personally, I still won't use the sidebar as it takes up too much space on my little screen and I check out the front page several times a day anyway, but this is a great addition nonetheless. :)-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

That's a pretty neat little addition. Good work staff!-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I noticed an RSS icon on the sidebar... does that mean it's now (or will soon be) possible to subscribe to a BZP news feed? I tried using the RSS button in Internet Explorer 9, but it didn't seem to find the news feed--only feeds for the calendar and the blogs.-Toa Of Justice

LDD American Flag--------------LDD Tinker Bell
american_flag.jpg_thumb.jpg----------tinker_bell_sig.png

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

Great work! I like having the feature, because now I don't have to check the main page for new news topics (I still will though). :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

This strikes me as something I never really would have thought as needing, but now that it's there I ask why we didn't think of it sooner. :P It's a nice reconnection of the front page and forum views and that's cool.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Yes! Now I won't have to check the news forum to find out what the latest news is...Question, however. Does the sidebar-thingy have the same time delay as the news forum talkbacks?
I don't think so, as basically it's a script loading the first three entries of the RSS, which I believe is updated automatically upon posting a news story.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Yes! Now I won't have to check the news forum to find out what the latest news is...Question, however. Does the sidebar-thingy have the same time delay as the news forum talkbacks?
I don't think so, as basically it's a script loading the first three entries of the RSS, which I believe is updated automatically upon posting a news story.-Gata signoff.png
The RSS is on a time delay as well, so the Talkback forum gets a double-delay.

Oh, okay. I thought it would make sense for the RSS to be updated automatically when a news story is posted. I guess I didn't notice any delay because I don't use the sidebar and last time I checked it, the news sidebar was up-to-date (as opposed to the talkbacks).-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Oh, okay. I thought it would make sense for the RSS to be updated automatically when a news story is posted. I guess I didn't notice any delay because I don't use the sidebar and last time I checked it, the news sidebar was up-to-date (as opposed to the talkbacks).-Gata signoff.png
Okay, so the Talkback forum is delayed twice (first news post delay to RSS, and then the RSS delay to the Talkback forum), whereas the news sidebar only suffers from the news post delay to RSS. Is that correct?

Okay, so the Talkback forum is delayed twice (first news post delay to RSS, and then the RSS delay to the Talkback forum), whereas the news sidebar only suffers from the news post delay to RSS. Is that correct?
That's how I believe it should work, if I got right what Black Six said.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

This is a lot of new features to get in a week. This is pretty cool. Now I don't have to check the front page. (Though I probably will anyway.)

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Although I was not around to see the original news sidebar in action, the return of this feature sounds like it will be pretty useful for most members who don't browse the front page too often.~B~
You joined in 2006, but I'm pretty sure the old news widget lasted until 2008 or so.-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Although I was not around to see the original news sidebar in action, the return of this feature sounds like it will be pretty useful for most members who don't browse the front page too often.~B~
You joined in 2006, but I'm pretty sure the old news widget lasted until 2008 or so.-Gata signoff.png
Huh, really? Wow, I must have been really unobservant my first two years here. :P~B~