Songs That Make You Nostalgic

Jean Valjean

:kaukau: Simple pitch: whenever you hear a song that makes you nostalgic, put it here.Nostalgic songs have a certain kind of power that is impossible to replicate. Not even some of the greatest of songs can imitate the sensation so unique among the songs we knew when we were growing up. Whether we liked them or not, whether we liked older songs over the most contemporary music, the music of the time is the music of "our time". The music from when I was a preteen will always reminds me of that stage in my life, and will always have a certain affect on me, especially the songs I liked, because they reminds me of a time when life was simpler, when I was simpler, and it's a time I wish I could go back to. It makes me sad, it makes me happy, it makes me feel all sorts of emotions I don't normally feel. I am not sure of the place of nostalgia in the human heart and why we have it. It's one of the most irrational feelings I know, more so than affection and jealousy. Yet, it is something that defines me. Maybe it's what makes me human and gives me a healthy appreciation of life. One thing I feel in my heart is that nostalgia is another incarnation of Man's eternal search for Home.-Just leave it to me to write a miniature essay out of nowhere. Anyway, I just listened to a few Hilary Duff songs, including "What Dreams Are Made Of" and "Let the Rain Fall Down (Come Clean)", which together inspired this topic, and am currently listening to Five For Fighting's "Superman" (which, coincidentally, sums up many of the feelings brought on by nostalgia). Speaking of which, one of my favorite songs from the early 00's and favorite songs ever, to the point where it almost belongs in the "Theme Song For your Existence" topic, is "100 Years to Live". That one also seems to even be about nostalgia.Being a 90's child, a surefire way to get me nostalgic is to play an old Britney Speares song such as "Baby One More Time" and "(You Drive Me) Crazy", not to mention her later hit "Toxic". I loved her growing up. I also loved Nsync and the Backstreet Boys, who also make me slightly nostalgic, although not as much.Since I assume that most people here are also 90's babies, hopefully this topic will basically become a giant playlist of music that makes most of us nostalgic.
olympic_rings_icon.png

When I was super young (like before I started first grade, maybe?), I fell in love with two songs that played pretty consistently on the radio station my Mom listened to: Danny's Song, from Kenny Loggins, and Baby I Need Your Loving from The Four Tops. Both are nostalgic for the reasons you mentioned: They're evocative of a much simpler time. I couldn't tell you what it was about those songs that made my younger self become attached to them, but I'm glad he did. They're good songs. ^_^Another more recent nostalgic song is Miley Cyrus's The Climb, for similar reasons. It was my high school graduation song, and as a result I've started to associate it with the entirety of high school, which so far were the best four years of my life. If in the middle of my high school life someone told me I would become attached to a Miley Cyrus song, I would have told them they were crazy, but there you go.Finally, the instrumental music from the first Mata Nui Online Game, which is evocative of the world and mystery that swept me up into BIONICLE in the first place.A few years ago I would have said that Disney (animated movie) songs made me nostalgic. But now I listen to them so often they've almost lost the associated nostalgia. Which is interesting. Makes me feel like the other songs I've listed should be downplayed to preserve the nostalgia? Which in turn makes me wonder why I think the nostalgia should be preserved. :shrugs:

Speaking of which, one of my favorite songs from the early 00's and favorite songs ever, to the point where it almost belongs in the "Theme Song For your Existence" topic, is "100 Years to Live". That one also seems to even be about nostalgia.
If you're referring to the Five for Fighting song, it's simply called 100 Years. No big difference, really, just an FYI. Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

:kaukau: I totally have agree with you with the Mata Nui Online Game music. Bionicle in general is one of those things that makes me nostalgic. And yeah, for some reason a lot of music from the Disney Renaissance doesn't evoke nostalgia. I mean, they're really good, but they don't make me think of the times.Anyway, I just rediscovered "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day (2004). It actually played in the fourth season of Smallville. Interesting, because now that I think about it a lot of Smallville songs make me nostalgic, especially from the earlier seasons which were from a time where I was first beginning to really go through elementary school and middle school. And that was a heck of a time in my life, when I was adjusting from a divorce and first learning the pain of nostalgia."My Immortal" by Evanesence (2003)"Everything" by Lifehouse (2000)"One Thing" by Finger Eleven (2003)"Unwell" by Matchbox 20 (2003)(admittingly not from Smallville, but it just popped into my head)While I admit that "Time After Time" was one of the best songs in Smallville and very redeeming of the times (no pun intended), although it doesn't make me nostalgic. I'm listing it in bold, though, because I have a hunch that it would have that affect on other people."She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 (2002)"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt (2004)There are a few other songs I can think of that, due to their themes, drive me into a notalgic state of mind, or into an emotional mode similar to that of nostalgia, without in and of themselves being nostalgic. "Hurt" by Johnny Cash and "These Are the Days" by Queen do this very much so. The former has a very fitful name, too, considering that I remember a lot of hurt that I innately feel all the time. It was also played in a Season 3 Smallville episode.And here are a few that have stories to them:"Around the World" by ATC (2000)This played in a GE commercial during the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and it really captured my imagination. Electronics, gadgets, stuff like that, all put to this nostalgic tune that I only play on special occasions. "All Star" by Smash Mouth (1999)The song appeared in several fun movies after coming out, but the memory that really lingers was when in third grade I was taking the bus to school and everyone was singing along to the song. It's so strange to think that none of those people are kids anymore. I miss them the way they were."That's the Way It Is" by Celine Dion (1999)How can I forget this? I basically reserve it for the most special moments that come by only every several years, whenever I really discover myself again. It's something I really like to conserve. Don't ask me what it is about the song. I just remember hearing it when I was six years old. If I was ever a kid, it was then. My goodness, life looks unrecognizable now...but I guess that's the way it is. But actually, it was a pretty good song, being bright and optimistic towards life, very much a fitting to grow up with as a child and very much the attitude from adults that really helped me along, and because of it a lot of Celine Dion songs make me slightly nostalgic as well.
olympic_rings_icon.png

Edited by Michael Phelps

"Unwell" by Matchbox 20 (2003)(admittingly not from Smallville, but it just popped into my head)"She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 (2002)"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt (2004)
First of all, fix'd. :P And I can empathize. These three are pretty much the songs of my middle school life. Which is strange since they aren't associated with my actual middle school education at all (and I actually don't even like that last song very much). I just remember they were the songs that were constantly playing on the radio during that time. Interesting that what makes me nostalgic seems to be determined by what was popular at the time. Makes me wonder four or six years down the line what will be the songs of my college years?
BZPRPG

Oh how I love this subject.The Boys of Summer - Don HeanlySolsbury Hill - Peter GabrielDown to the river to pray - Alison KraussWreck of the Edmund FitzGerald - Gordon LightfootTocatta - Mannheim SteamrollerPretty much anything by AnberlinI have countless others, but will probably list them later.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

:kaukau: "We Are Young" by Fun (2011) will probably turn into a nostalgic song for me as something to remember high school by. Coincidentally, the words also happen to fit. I heard it a lot in the weight room and it was also played during the prom dance. It was a theme for the times, I guess."Home" by Philip Phillips (2012) was used in Olympic commercials. It will remind me of the 2012 American team from now on. And you can bet I'll get nostalgic, because from now on, without Michael Phelps, the Olympics will feel different. I'm really glad to have grown up with such a figure. It's not quite as history-defining as when Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon, but in spirit it's a very similar moment.
olympic_rings_icon.png

Mostly it's video game music that makes me nostalgic, but there's one notable exception - "Move Along" by the All-American Rejects. I heard it years ago as part of a commercial and only recently did I discover the song's name.The most nostalgic song for me is either "Imperial Grand Prix", "Ice Planet Pathway", or this other song that'd occasionally play on an island track (it doesn't have a name), from LEGO Racers 1. They all remind me of so many fond memories from the past decade playing that fun racing game.Down the road, I'm thinking "Zelda's Lullaby" (specifically the Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword renditions) plus the Adult Link version of "Karakiko Village" from Ocarina of Time is going to be quite nostalgic for me. I recently picked up the Legend of Zelda series for the first time in my life, and I've just absolutely fallen in love with the series as a whole - if you have a Nintendo console, don't pass it by.

Edited by UltraHau

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Right, let's see here. In my childhood, I hadn't a musical taste as such. I just listened to whatever my parents listened to with the CD player in our car whenever we went on roadtrips, resulting in things like...Can't Fight the Moonlight - LeAnn RimesUnwell - Matchbox 20Live Like You Were Dying - Tim McGrawIt's My Life - Bon Jovipretty much anything by The Corrspretty much anything by REMSo yeah, pretty much anything in that list makes me nostalgic.-Dovydas

Edited by Ironheart

The two albums that give me the most nostalgia today are Keep The Faith and Have a Nice Day from Bon Jovi. I used to play those two albums a lot during my early WoW years when the game first came out. I was twelve or thirteen at the time so whenever I hear songs from either album I go back to memories of playing WoW in my younger years and not having a care in the world. It makes me yearn to go back to those days, and I honestly can't listen to those albums for too long without feeling a tinge of sadness.I also used to have a playlist set up that I'd play in the background while I was playing WoW when I wasn't listening to Bon Jovi, but that had a ton of stuff on varying from Nickelback (As much flak as they get, I enjoyed them as a kid), 3 Doors Down (A lot of stuff from their Away from the Sun album), Aerosmith (Eat the rich and Livin' on the Edge come to mind), Linkin Park, and a couple other bands I can't think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Core: Matoran of Chaos

“Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” - Unknown

"You can get her all the chocolates and roses you want, but a woman will never forget her first wheel of cheese." - Puff

when i was young, my dad would always be playing around with his recording equipment, fooling around with his new speakers or playing with his microphones.When he was comparing between PA's he would always use the song penny lane from the beatles. So it happened that i would always find myself falling asleep to the sounds of singing liverpudlians, and the best of 'em at that.Whenever i hear the song now i feel myself drifting off into a wave of memory, feeling sleepy, happy, sad and wide awake all at the same time. it is a wonderful feeling.Penny lane is in my ears and in my eyes.peace out.-Dwanny

• 2 weeks later...

Adiemus, by Karl Jenkins; Big and Rich, Montgomery Gentry, and Garth Brooks, also several other country artists that are not at the top of my head; Lacrimosa, Rising Empire, and Serenata, by Immediate are all nostalgic; Now We Are Free, by Lisa Gerrard and Hans Zimmer; and various background music from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

Edited by RC15O5

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light