Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I've never cared much for motorized functions. All the new trains use 6-8 AAA batteries. And it's the old foagie in me, but that is a large step up from just plugging into a wall and go.

Granted, the Manas' were also a bunch of batteries, I still would rather technic functions be kept to analog activation.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Oh, the Inika builds. *suppresses a shudder*

I never actually got a single set that year... which I made up for by buying all six Barraki the next year. I would argue that the Barraki/Mahri year was the first really good one for Bionicle, there was more choice and variety in the sets, and none of the repetitive design we'd seen in previous years. I hope we get that in the new Bionicle: individual sets with completely different designs, rather than the same build with a few cosmetic colour and weapon differences. But I think that's where the CCBS falls down a little.

By its end, Bionicle had about a dozen different body types that could be used, and a plethora of different sized, coloured and textured limb joints that came in a variety of styles and lengths as well. And as if that wasn't enough, there were dozens of unqiue armour pieces that were compatible with nearly all of these joints.If I recall correctly, the CCBS has only one body piece, and while the limbs do come in different lengths and sizes, there's only a handful of different armour pieces that can be used with it. There aren't really as many options to create different designs, and the few HF sets I've actually bought all feel the same somehow. I think this is part of the reason the HF sets have suffered from a sales decline.

Hero Factory actually has four basic torso beams and uses them in a number of creative ways. Just check out the builds of Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, Furno Jet Machine, Fangz, Furno XL, Frost Beast, Evo XL Machine, Surge & Rocka Combat Machine, Dragon Bolt and Tunneler Beast.

Case in point: the HF Titan sets. The majority of them used exactly the same design as the first Titan set made with the CCBS, which was Fire Lord, I believe.

This is not true. There only exist two other Hero Factory titan sets (Rocka XL and Black Phantom) that used Fire Lord's build. Everything else has been designed differently.

• Upvote 4

The Inika build is seen as the perfect example of how Bionicle took something which was good, but overused it to the point of nearly completely destroying any real originality in set design.

In 2006 (right?), we got the Toa Inika, with fantabulously articulated and generally solid humanoid build, hence, "Inika" build. However, after Lego thought of this wonderful new design, they apparently began to forget how to make things other than that, as the Inika build became more and more ubiquitous - basically all of the 2008 and 2009 figures were built on the same exact frame with only a few swapped out parts and accessories to make them slightly more unique. In a nutshell, that's kind of boring. People wanted to see something new and interesting, while Lego simply churned out more variations on the same old "Inika build". Needless to say, most fans were not amused. Also, the proportions on the Inika build are off for a normal humanoid. For example, the arms that reach past the knees are far too long. nThat's basically why people dislike the Inika builds, as far as I can tell.

I personally am fine with them, so long as they are not used as the only template (which unfortunately was what happened).

• Upvote 4

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

On brickset there is a gap between 70727 and 70800. The supposed set numbers fit exactly in this gap.  Coincidence? I think not.

i discovered that first

I believe I saw it in a YouTube video by Custom Bionicle first.

rewatch the video, he metions me in it.

just go ten seconds in and he literally says " our good friend Spectral rain..." then he talks about me being in his last video, and shows the message about brickset that i sent him

Okay, that means were talking about the same thing.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. Im sorry I dont care what anyone says about CCBS. I just think opening up a new Bionicle every year was so much more exciting that opening up a new hero. I know that CCBS is versatile and you can make loads of cool things with it. I just find it incredibly boring. 

• Upvote 2

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

The Inika build is seen as the perfect example of how Bionicle took something which was good, but overused it to the point of nearly completely destroying any real originality in set design.

In 2006 (right?), we got the Toa Inika, with fantabulously articulated and generally solid humanoid build, hence, "Inika" build. However, after Lego thought of this wonderful new design, they apparently began to forget how to make things other than that, as the Inika build became more and more ubiquitous - basically all of the 2008 and 2009 figures were built on the same exact frame with only a few swapped out parts and accessories to make them slightly more unique. In a nutshell, that's kind of boring. People wanted to see something new and interesting, while Lego simply churned out more variations on the same old "Inika build". Needless to say, most fans were not amused. Also, the proportions on the Inika build are off for a normal humanoid. For example, the arms that reach past the knees are far too long. That's basically why people dislike the Inika builds, as far as I can tell.

I personally am fine with them, so long as they are not used as the only template (which unfortunately was what happened).

I agree. The thing is, if you don't use the Inika build, you have two options - use more parts to improvise (which costs more), or go back to gear systems (whihc doesn't seem likely).

My issue with CCBS is the fact that all the pieces are bland and boring and with generally little detail. While I understand big-time MOC-ers were bouncing off of the walls with excitement, I think it detracts from the texture and individuality of each set if they are built from these generic smooth chunky armor plates on a spindly bone frame. 

I'd hope to see a middle ground in 2015 - the interchangeability of Hero Factory parts, but the uniqueness and cool mechanical textures of Bionicle. 

• Upvote 6

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

My issue with CCBS is the fact that all the pieces are bland and boring and with generally little detail. While I understand big-time MOC-ers were bouncing off of the walls with excitement, I think it detracts from the texture and individuality of each set if they are built from these generic smooth chunky armor plates on a spindly bone frame. 

I'd hope to see a middle ground in 2015 - the interchangeability of Hero Factory parts, but the uniqueness and cool mechanical textures of Bionicle. 

Same here. I think that's what's sort of needed in order for Bionicle to make a successful return, otherwise it's probably going to go defunct like Hero Factory has pretty much gone and done. The CCBS is more versatile and whatever, but it lacks what made the Bionicle building system more interesting for me: better texturing, more variety in pieces for customisation, and detail. HF sets have been seriously lacking in detail compared to Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I just felt that Bionicle builds had a lot more options and customisation points. I know we won't be getting the old system back, but I'd like to see the CCBS tweaked a little to be more reminiscent of the old system. The armour used with the CCBS, depending on what sized plates you use, can severely inhibit the range of motion a build has, and the armour has a lot less detail. That's what I really liked about Bionicle: the attention to detail, which has been sorely lacking in the later HF sets.

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that Bionicle sets looked more like robots than the actual robots in HF? 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 4

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

why does everyone hate the ignika builds?

We don't actually hate it. Most of us actually love the Inika build... but only on the Inika. It was overused way too much. This is one of the reasons people lost interest in the sets and stop buying them, I believe.

• Upvote 3

We don't actually hate it. Most of us actually love the Inika build... but only on the Inika. It was overused way too much. This is one of the reasons people lost interest in the sets and stop buying them, I believe.

I disgree here. When people were talking about hating the Inika builds, I thought they meant hating the actual Inika sets. I really didn't like the Inika, so I didn't bother spending any money on them. I actually really liked everything that came after, because they kept introducing new parts, and new builds that really enhanced what they already had. The variety was the reason myself and everyone else I know stayed interested in the sets and kept buying them. 

The Bionicle Stars were rather disappointing, though. 

• Upvote 1

The mere mention of them = :censored:

I know your pain. I was so depressed that those were going to be the last sets.  :r:  :a:  :g:  :e:!!!

At leats there were still the serials on Bioniclestory.com to console me. I hope they bring those back, but perhaps keep them to the main site. Things got a bit out of hand towards the end, with content on two different websites. 

• Upvote 1

I know your pain. I was so depressed that those were going to be the last sets.  :r:  :a:  :g:  :e:!!!

At leats there were still the serials on Bioniclestory.com to console me. I hope they bring those back, but perhaps keep them to the main site. Things got a bit out of hand towards the end, with content on two different websites. 

I enjoyed the serials. I second bringing them back, as well as on the main site.

TBH, I want the novels back more than anything. And I can't believe I'm saying it, but... maybe a different author than Greg?

*Throws up hands*  Please don't hurt me!!

• Upvote 4

I kind of liked the idea of mini versions of past sets but for the final sets..... Noooooooooooooooooo. That's not how you end  a 10 year old franchise .

I agree. Whenever Stars are mentioned, I usually make a big deal about them, but TBH I don't think they're terrible - I just wished they weren't the final wave.

Oh yeah, and they scale horrifically.

I enjoyed the serials. I second bringing them back, as well as on the main site.

TBH, I want the novels back more than anything. And I can't believe I'm saying it, but... maybe a different author than Greg?

We won't hurt you... much...

No, I see your point. Perhaps it needs a story team rather than just one (talented) guy. Multiple authors for the different books and serials, perhaps? But yes, the novels are my favourite part, in hindsight. Back when I was buying the sets, I didn't pay much attention to the books, which is something I sorely regret, since they're so hard to find these days. New novels to accompany the new sets would be amazing. 

I kind of liked the idea of mini versions of past sets but for the final sets..... Noooooooooooooooooo. That's not how you end  a 10 year old franchise .

I know what you mean. The sets themselves were alright, and I have to admit there were some excellent pieces, but the fact that it was just them really annoyed me. There should have been full-sized sets or something to go with it. I felt kind of insulted that I'd been a fan for so long and this was how they were rewarding me for my ten years of diligent faith in the theme. . 

• Upvote 4

No, I see your point. Perhaps it needs a story team rather than just one (talented) guy. Multiple authors for the different books and serials, perhaps? But yes, the novels are my favourite part, in hindsight. Back when I was buying the sets, I didn't pay much attention to the books, which is something I sorely regret, since they're so hard to find these days. New novels to accompany the new sets would be amazing.

Definitely. And yes, a whole story team would be awesome.Though, I have my own reasons for that.

*Cough* love canon *cough*.

• Upvote 2

I disgree here. When people were talking about hating the Inika builds, I thought they meant hating the actual Inika sets. I really didn't like the Inika, so I didn't bother spending any money on them. I actually really liked everything that came after, because they kept introducing new parts, and new builds that really enhanced what they already had. The variety was the reason myself and everyone else I know stayed interested in the sets and kept buying them. 

Sorry, but I don't think there was too much variety through 2007~2009. If by variety you mean recolored pieces from 2006 masks and weapons, then yes, it was pretty variable, but in terms of new pieces (chest, shoulder, armor, legs, feet, limbs, knees and etc), there were not too much, tho we actually got some in 2009.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 1

Definitely. And yes, a whole story team would be awesome.Though, I have my own reasons for that.

*Cough* love canon *cough*.

Agreed. Some consistency would be appreciated as well, at least by me. I noticed in the past that the comics, books and movies were different in the way they all told the one story. Greg wrote most of the books and the comics himself, but they weren't consistent either, which really irked me. I think they need a story team to agree on exactly what details will occur in which sequence, for the sake of consistency and continuity. 

• Upvote 2

Agreed. Some consistency would be appreciated as well, at least by me. I noticed in the past that the comics, books and movies were different in the way they all told the one story. Greg wrote most of the books and the comics himself, but they weren't consistent either, which really irked me. I think they need a story team to agree on exactly what details will occur in which sequence, for the sake of consistency and continuity.

I didn't really appreciate the comics once I started reading the novels. The comics seemed almost trivial and empty in comparison.

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 2

The only problem I have with the stars are that they are agori/av-matoran size. You could mistake Skrall for Atakus.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I was thinking about a new writer(s) myself, just 'cause I'm curious what it would be like to have something different. I like the sound of a whole story team, then Greg could still stay on and we wouldn't feel so guilty :P

If they somehow got Catherine Hapka to write for Bionicle again, that would be magnificent. I think she still writes books for other LEGO lines, so it's not farfetched. I loved the first three Bionicle books, and she's accumulated a ton of writing experience in the last decade. Maybe having a lady writing could help alleviate fan concerns bout how the different genders are portrayed? :) I just really loved the very first three Bionicle books, they're what got me hooked. If she could do the same for a new generation of youngsters, that would be really cool. 

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I didn't really appreciate the comics once I started reading the novels. The comics seemed almost trivial and empty in comparison.

That's a fair point. I think the comics were meant to engage younger audiences by simplifying the story or something, but my point about consistency still stands. The books and comics were completely disjointed, with entire scenes happening out of sequence and stuff, as well as skipping over huge chunks of story.

The only problem I have with the stars are that they are agori/av-matoran size. You could mistake Skrall for Atakus.

I almost did. And since when were Skrall green? At least they didn't try to make a mini-Stronius for the stars. That would have irritated me beyond the scope of human tolerance.  

What annoyed me the most, I think, was when they called the Skakdi a Piraka. I know it was for ease of understanding or something like that, but why didn't they just call it Nektann then, since that was his name? Another thing that bugged me is that in the story, Nektann is referenced as actually being bigger than most other Skakdi, but as a set he was far smaller. 

All in all, I really didn't like the stars. At all. Ever. 

Hopefully Lego will learn from their mistakes and not give us such awful sets ever again. (The sets themselves weren't all that bad, to be honest, it was the fact that they were so expensive for their actual size, and that they were all we got in the last year of Bionicle). 

• Upvote 2

That's a fair point. I think the comics were meant to engage younger audiences by simplifying the story or something, but my point about consistency still stands.

Really? I dunno... I liked the comics quite a bit. Novels were okay, too, of course.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

That's a fair point. I think the comics were meant to engage younger audiences by simplifying the story or something, but my point about consistency still stands.

Really? I dunno... I liked the comics quite a bit. Novels were okay, too, of course.

I liked them originally, but when I began reading other comics from DC and Marvel I realized how lacking they actually were. Also, as stated by NatoG a few posts ago, the comics left out huge chunks of story you could only get by reading the novels. Plus there weren't enough of them.

I was thinking about a new writer(s) myself, just 'cause I'm curious what it would be like to have something different. I like the sound of a whole story team, then Greg could still stay on and we wouldn't feel so guilty :P

If they somehow got Catherine Hapka to write for Bionicle again, that would be magnificent. I think she still writes books for other LEGO lines, so it's not farfetched. I loved the first three Bionicle books, and she's accumulated a ton of writing experience in the last decade. Maybe having a lady writing could help alleviate fan concerns bout how the different genders are portrayed? :) I just really loved the very first three Bionicle books, they're what got me hooked. If she could do the same for a new generation of youngsters, that would be really cool. 

C. Hapka did a pretty good job, I think. I wouldn't mind seeing her at the writer's desk again.

• Upvote 1

Greg wasn't responsible for a lot of things set down in the story's early beginnings. The gender ratio rule certainly wasn't decided by him and neither he nor the story team could do much about it, even though Greg went out of his way to include female characters in his stories that were never made into sets, something he seems to get little credit for. I personally wouldn't mind having Greg remain the sole writer for the books. At his best, he can write some truly brilliant stuff, and I can't see anyone writing the books and doing the universe justice quite the way he does it. Greg never seemed too interested in the comics though, seeing as they were often meant as shortened summaries of the books, so we can get other writers for that. And just remember: Greg wasn't responsible for a lot of major story decisions. There was a whole story team whom Greg worked with. Much of what he wrote he wrote according to what they came up with together. The only times where Greg had almost complete story control was in the "bridge" novels (like Maze of Shadows and Time Trap) and in the serials, which were fantastic in 2007 and 2008 but began to spiral out of control in 2009 and 2010.

Then again, maybe having different authors for different stories could be a good thing. C.A. Hapka wasn't as good as Greg but was still good; after all, it was her books that got me into BIONICLE in the first place. 

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Greg wasn't responsible for a lot of things set down in the story's early beginnings. The gender ratio rule certainly wasn't decided by him and neither he nor the story team could do much about it, even though Greg went out of his way to include female characters in his stories that were never made into sets, something he seems to get little credit for. I personally wouldn't mind having Greg remain the sole writer for the books. At his best, he can write some truly brilliant stuff, and I can't see anyone writing the books and doing the universe justice quite the way he does it. Greg never seemed too interested in the comics though, seeing as they were often meant as shortened summaries of the books, so we can get other writers for that. And just remember: Greg wasn't responsible for a lot of major story decisions. There was a whole story team whom Greg worked with. Much of what he wrote he wrote according to what they came up with together. The only times where Greg had almost complete story control was in the "bridge" novels (like Maze of Shadows and Time Trap) and in the serials, which were fantastic in 2007 and 2008 but began to spiral out of control in 2009 and 2010.

Then again, maybe having different authors for different stories could be a good thing. C.A. Hapka wasn't as good as Greg but was still good; after all, it was her books that got me into BIONICLE in the first place. 

I think the only reason the serials went "out of control" was because he wrote them with the intention of continuing to write them, to carry on the entire Bionicle theme in those serials, since the main story had then finished. From what I understand, he got permission from TLG to keep writing the serials, and it was only because of having to look after his daughter that he was forced to stop writing them. So I would argue that it wasn't the serials that went out of control, it was Greg's life, which stopped him from being able to finish them. But, as they say " :censored: happens". 

I think the only reason the serials went "out of control" was because he wrote them with the intention of continuing to write them, to carry on the entire Bionicle theme in those serials, since the main story had then finished. From what I understand, he got permission from TLG to keep writing the serials, and it was only because of having to look after his daughter that he was forced to stop writing them. So I would argue that it wasn't the serials that went out of control, it was Greg's life, which stopped him from being able to finish them. But, as they say " :censored: happens". 

Well, I wasn't really referring to The Yesterday Quest or The Powers That Be, especially since I found what little we got of both to be really great. I was thinking more along Reign of Shadows, which had a lot of good parts but other parts felt hastily written and sometimes felt like Greg was having a little too much fun exercising his freedom, and so a lot of plot threads ended up going every which way, and some questionable writing was done (like Tuyet's random revival). I'm a huge fan of Greg's work and he was one of the authors who inspired me to write when I was younger, but I think in this case his writing wasn't up to par. And it was in only a few serials, really, since Greg has proven he writes just fine when given a lot of creative control (Time Trap). 

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

Well, I wasn't really referring to The Yesterday Quest or The Powers That Be, especially since I found what little we got of both to be really great. I was thinking more along Reign of Shadows, which had a lot of good parts but other parts felt hastily written and sometimes felt like Greg was having a little too much fun exercising his freedom, and so a lot of plot threads ended up going every which way, and some questionable writing was done (like Tuyet's random revival). I'm a huge fan of Greg's work and he was one of the authors who inspired me to write when I was younger, but I think in this case his writing wasn't up to par. And it was in only a few serials, really, since Greg has proven he writes just fine when given a lot of creative control (Time Trap). 

Okay, that's a fair point. I see what you mean. Greg inspired me a lot, too, hence why I'm now doing a writing course at university.

You're completely right about Reign of Shadows (it wasn't one of my favourites), but I think some of the serials got a bit too big, because they were written, or partially written, before Lego's decision to end Bionicle. Serials like Empire of the Skrall and Riddle of the Great Beings that brought in all of these extra plot points like the Element Lords and the Baterra that never became part of the main story because it was cut short.

Those plot points in particular I'd love to see brought back in the new storyline. I think they could have gotten a lot of mileage out of those.

And on your point about Tuyet getting revived, I actually had no idea what was happening when that particular event occured. I had no idea who she was or what was going on, because that was around the time I first got into the serials. It was several minutes of frantic googling and reading on Biosector01 to figure out what it was all about, and by the time it was all done, I still saw no real reason for her to be there at all. So in that circumstance, yes, Greg exercised a little bit too much creative licence. That said, if it does turn out to be a continuation, I'd like the writers to keep Tuyet around, because I'm really interested to see how a battle between her and Marendar would go down. 

I think Greg brought Tuyet back because he liked writing her so much. First there was The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet, and then she appeared again in an alternate dimension in Dark Mirror, and before that her corpse had featured in 2007 serials as well. Finally Greg decided to bring her back through a very convoluted chain of events in a manner that was totally unnecessary. Ah, the dangers of getting too attached to writing a character. I agree with Greg that she was a fascinating character, but he simply got too carried away. That, along with Greg's love of alternate dimensions which has even held over to Hero Factory, is something Greg gets a lot of criticism for, even though it makes up only a small percentage of his writing. Maybe Greg can have an editor of sorts who keeps him from getting carried away like that, however rarely it happens.

I posted this in another topic and am going to repost it here:

In the Lego Message Boards recently, Greg has repeatedly answered, or rather avoided answering, questions by saying "That would be up to the future story team, if BIONICLE were to come back" and in other cases has said something along the lines of "I don't want to give an answer to this and force a future story team to abide by that restriction", etc. Now, think about it: if LEGO was going to do a hard reboot for BIONICLE (and Greg would know, since he knows what's happening in 2015) would Greg really worry about making trouble for another story team? If new BIONICLE was taking place in a new continuity, anything that Greg said would only apply to the original story, which is basically over. Alongside that, Greg keeps emphasizing how the original story is "frozen" where we left it, and so doesn't answer question about what's happened beyond where the serials stopped. 

Just something I found interesting. It could all be nothing, or it could be something. *shrug*

• Upvote 4

toakopaka.png

I think Greg brought Tuyet back because he liked writing her so much. First there was The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet, and then she appeared again in an alternate dimension in Dark Mirror, and before that her corpse had featured in 2007 serials as well. Finally Greg decided to bring her back through a very convoluted chain of events in a manner that was totally unnecessary. Ah, the dangers of getting too attached to writing a character. I agree with Greg that she was a fascinating character, but he simply got too carried away. That, along with Greg's love of alternate dimensions which has even held over to Hero Factory, is something Greg gets a lot of criticism for, even though it makes up only a small percentage of his writing. Maybe Greg can have an editor of sorts who keeps him from getting carried away like that, however rarely it happens.

In the Lego Message Boards recently, Greg has repeatedly answered, or rather avoided answering, questions by saying "That would be up to the future story team, if BIONICLE were to come back" and in other cases has said something along the lines of "I don't want to give an answer to this and force a future story team to abide by that restriction", etc. Now, think about it: if LEGO was going to do a hard reboot for BIONICLE (and Greg would know, since he knows what's happening in 2015) would Greg really worry about making trouble for another story team? If new BIONICLE was taking place in a new continuity, anything that Greg said would only apply to the original story, which is basically over. Alongside that, Greg keeps emphasizing how the original story is "frozen" where we left it, and so doesn't answer question about what's happened beyond where the serials stopped. 

Just something I found interesting. It could all be nothing, or it could be something. *shrug*

I know the dangers of becoming too attached to a character. That tends to happen when you've got free reign to do whatever you want with no one regulating what you do. Resurrecting Tuyet might have been taking it a bit too far, considering that there were already so many other characters, and that her return didn't really have too big of an impact on the storyline. 

And as fun as alternate dimensions kind of were, I think that was where it went too far. Don't get me wrong; I really liked the other worlds, but it was too much for a story that already has more characters than I can count and a few dozen intersecting plotlines led by a hundred different heroes, villains and neutrals all vying for power.

On your other point: it makes me wonder if he's hinting at a continuation of some kind? Or we could all be reading way too much into it, and it means nothing. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

To be fair, saying that he doesn't want to make trouble for a future story team doesn't neccessarily mean that he's referring to bionicle 2015. I mean, if it's not coming in 2015 (Which is highly unlikely given all that we've seen IMO) then I doubt Lego would tell all their employees that they're never going to bring it back ever ever. They could always use it if they ever got into a bad spot again and needed something with an established group of hungry fans. I imagine Lego would want to keep all their options open.

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

i didn't pay attention to the books either.

also, someone asked if bionicle was to come back would it be a continuation, and he replied saying something like it would be to hard for new bionicle fans to get into and i doubt that lego would do a continuation. those were not the exact words, but that is basicly what he said.

To be fair, saying that he doesn't want to make trouble for a future story team doesn't neccessarily mean that he's referring to bionicle 2015. I mean, if it's not coming in 2015 (Which is highly unlikely given all that we've seen IMO) then I doubt Lego would tell all their employees that they're never going to bring it back ever ever. They could always use it if they ever got into a bad spot again and needed something with an established group of hungry fans. I imagine Lego would want to keep all their options open.

mega blocks got bought by mettal, and down the road they might actully become fearful compition for lego. then lego could use the return of bionicle to completely destroy mega blocks.

Edited by Spectral_Rain

mega blocks got bought by mettal, and down the road they might actully become fearful compition for lego. then lego could use the return of bionicle to completely destroy mega blocks.

ain and needed something with an established group of hungry fans. I imagine Lego would want to keep all their options open.

Mega Blocks... competition for Lego... yeah, I doubt it

Hail Denmark

I still argue that a Bionicle Continuation would be fairly easy. In the original, new characters and locations were introduced as the storyline went on, even though most of those characters had actually been around the whole time. Thus Lego doesn't need to reintroduce everything in the first year. It would be very easy to start off on Spherus Magna and work from there. Keep in mind, the original Bionicle started off with a whole bunch of amnesiacs running around an island with no idea at all how they got there. 

Allow me to demonstrate. Here is a possible way of introducing Bionicle as a continuation to a new audience: "After many years travelling through space, a race of bio-mechanical heroes and the villagers they protect find themselves on a new world, a paradise called Spherus Magna. However, all is not as peaceful as it seems. This new world is fraught with danger, and the new arrivals must make peace with he planet's inhabitants as well before they can combat the evils that await them, and the old enemies that have followed them to this paradise..."  

It's entirely reasonable to gloss over the details of Mata Nui being a giant robot and fighting agaisnt Makuta, the other giant robot, because it's no longer important to the story. Makuta is dead, and his legions are vanquished. He wiped out the other makuta himself, and his Rahkshi were destroyed, making that the one and only plot point in the old stroyline that was entirely wrapped up. 

Here's some ideas for Bionicle's return: one year could feature the six Elemental Lords and Baterra as the main villains, and the next could bring back the Shadowed One, Dark Hunters and Barraki as the next set of villains, since they were allied at the end of the story. There's also the Golden Being and Marednar to contend with, which could also make for intriguing story arcs. 

My point is that there's plenty of material to make a continuation an entirely viable option, and it would be a shame to see all of this material thrown away in favour of a reboot or retelling that could easily be spoiled for new fans by one quick Google search. 

I'm hoping for a continuation of some kind, but only time will tell what's really going to happen. 

• Upvote 3