Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Looks really... Bony. :P

So do the other two designs that have been displayed. 

And think about it: a blind bag Bionicle set would have to use the smallest parts possible to actually fit into a blind bag and not just become a canister set, so I deliberately chose to use the smallest armour pieces possible. Plus that was actually my first time ever using LDD (I downloaded it today for the sole sake of doing that. Yes, I have nothing better to do with my time, it's very sad). 

My point is that making the set any bigger would make it the size of a canister set, which kind of defeats the idea of a blind bag set to begin with, does it not? Besides, didn't a lot of Bionicle sets wind up looking "really bony"? 

• Upvote 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

True.

But mostly about the joints. Like, there's armour, then suddenly the arm piece, then suddenly armour again.

Wait, wasn't the new alleged containers boxes? I can't really tell.

I thought some were in packets and others were in boxes, but it's difficult to tell.

Anyhow, I realised that you may have had a point regarding the armour gaps, so I fooled around with the design a little more, using the same amount of pieces but utilising larger armour plates. I think this one looks a little better. 

For some reason I couldn't find that centre chest piece in white, so I was forced to settle for black instead. 

Still less then 25 pieces, and still using the smallest CCBS body type. 

(and yes, that is Metus)
Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Who says a "blind bag" set actually has to be in a bag?  As long as it's small, it could be in any container.  It could even be in a box, like the 2006 Matoran were.

~W.12.~

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

You can't feel for special parts in blind BOXES.

Well you obviously need to step up your game.

I wouldn't mind seeing, say a blindbagged mask included with a small build figure, maybe of varying build, that way instead of getting a full repeat, you get a generic villager with a different mask, rather then the "Oh, that one again" problem.

• Upvote 9

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

You laugh, but you forget all the opened and unpaid mask boxes of yesteryear and what a giant headache that was.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 14

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

For some reason I couldn't find that centre chest piece in white, so I was forced to settle for black instead.

You can colour pieces.

Blind things are still cool ideas, and I've liked most of the models so far. (Esp. That the foot was changed to 1 piece each, not 3)

Edited by Heontris
  • Upvote 1

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Why are all the matoran ideas tossed around fully armoured? They could just make a McToran esque thing that has only like 5 or 6 pieces.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Why are all the matoran ideas tossed around fully armoured? They could just make a McToran esque thing that has only like 5 or 6 pieces.

Probably cause the McToran would be a McDonny thing most likely. And we have grown used to lots of articulation. :P
  • Upvote 2

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

You laugh, but you forget all the opened and unpaid mask boxes of yesteryear and what a giant headache that was.

I had almost forgotten about that. Though I have seen opened minifig bags. That just ruins the fun... Plus it's kind of illegal as the contents of the box/bag aren't yours until you fork the money over. But that never stops people....

Edited by ~Shockwave~
  • Upvote 1

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

I had almost forgotten about that. Though I have seen opened minifig bags. That just ruins the fun... Plus it's kind of illegal as the contents of the box/bag aren't yours until you fork the money over. But that never stops people....

Tis sad but true. If they want a piece and are desperate they break the law. Gives us a bad name but hey got that rare mask/Krata/minifigure

• Upvote 1

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

Oh man I really don't want to relive that. :(

But the LEGO blind bags have indeed been a huge success... I can't say I'd be completely opposed to their use in a BIONICLE line. If it's for something like masks too, and not characters (because not being able to easily get your favorite character would be disappointing), then it could really work.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Probably cause the McToran would be a McDonny thing most likely. And we have grown used to lots of articulation. :P

The McToran are some of my favorite sets. I would be stoked to see something similar return, regardless of articulation. 

• Upvote 1

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

Oh man I really don't want to relive that. :(

But the LEGO blind bags have indeed been a huge success... I can't say I'd be completely opposed to their use in a BIONICLE line. If it's for something like masks too, and not characters (because not being able to easily get your favorite character would be disappointing), then it could really work.

~|ET|~

They could maybe, like, include a random blind bag item sorta thing in each set, and just encourage trading 'em to get what you want?

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

They could maybe, like, include a random blind bag item sorta thing in each set, and just encourage trading 'em to get what you want?

Sounds like a plan to me. Make it like a plastic version of Pokemon.

I don't know how that would work... If the sets are fairly large, say, $10 or more, it would be rather disappointing to get a repeat. Plus if there's more masks then sets then you either have to buy multiples or convince your friends to trade you more than one to get all of them. And if it's the same number then it seems pointless. The only way I see that working is if they brought back the old collectible filled boxes from early bionicle. We haven't seen those in awhile, I wouldn't bet on it.

• Upvote 1

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

OH GAWD THE NIGHTMARES

Every dang time I went to buy the mask boxes, all the masks were strewn everywhere, ripped boxes littering the shelf.

And there were never any whole boxes to buy. Explains my lack if masks in my collection. :'(

• Upvote 1

Yeah, for the blind bag idea, I was thinking that they should just have a generic body design, with differently coloured armour with a mask to match it. And it doesn't neccessarily just have to be Matoran. There could be Agori with a similar build, and maybe some other Stars-style smaller versions of other characters. But each of the bags would come with a random weapon and collectible mask, that way no two are exactly alike. 

The thing is, will Lego actually go and do this, or are we just tossing ideas around for no good reason?

• Upvote 3

Yeah, for the blind bag idea, I was thinking that they should just have a generic body design, with differently coloured armour with a mask to match it. And it doesn't neccessarily just have to be Matoran. There could be Agori with a similar build, and maybe some other Stars-style smaller versions of other characters. But each of the bags would come with a random weapon and collectible mask, that way no two are exactly alike. 

The thing is, will Lego actually go and do this, or are we just tossing ideas around for no good reason?

I'm not sure it'll actually happen. But It would be cool if it did.

• Upvote 1

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Journey's End:

“The time has come,” said Mata Nui. “All journey’s must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. There will be challenges to face and enemies to fight, but I know you will overcome. All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. 

Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides. Be well, be strong, care for this world and for each other. Farewell.”

On impulse, I reread Journey's End, only to have my soul crushed all over again. I didn't realise exactly how much I've missed Bionicle until just now. 

I hope the story for 2015 is written in the some sort of nostalgic Bionicle-y way as Journey's End was. Speaking of which, what form do you think Lego will use to convey that story? Comics seem to pretty popular at the moment, but I think Bionicle conveyed a lot of story in form of books as well. Or do you think Lego will just give it a little kiddy TV series like they've done for some of the other themes? 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

Well the hype train don't lie. Bionicle is back!

Welcome aboard the Hype Train, and Welcome to BZPower!

• Upvote 2

Journey's End:

“The time has come,” said Mata Nui. “All journey’s must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. There will be challenges to face and enemies to fight, but I know you will overcome. All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. 
Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides. Be well, be strong, care for this world and for each other. Farewell.”

On impulse, I reread Journey's End, only to have my soul crushed all over again. I didn't realise exactly how much I've missed Bionicle until just now. 

I hope the story for 2015 is written in the some sort of nostalgic Bionicle-y way as Journey's End was. Speaking of which, what form do you think Lego will use to convey that story? Comics seem to pretty popular at the moment, but I think Bionicle conveyed a lot of story in form of books as well. Or do you think Lego will just give it a little kiddy TV series like they've done for some of the other themes? 

I don't know about comics. The books worked before to tell the story, but I know that the reason we got less books as time went in Bionicle's original run was because they weren't selling enough of them. So I could see them using books again, though not in the amount that we got back in 04 and 05.

As for a TV show, I could see it working. And it wouldn't necessarily have to be a kiddy TV series. Ninjago, from what I've seen of its show, has some darker moments in its story, so I think that a Bionicle TV show could be same. 

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Of course I'm super excited at the possibility of Bionicle's return just like all of you probably are, but I'm worried that Lego bringing back their most popular construction line demonstrates lack of faith in build able figures as a whole. This is what I'm afraid will happen:

-Hero Factory is abruptly canceled with no conclusion of any sort whatsoever, not even the sort of half-baked finale that Bionicle got. Demonstrates that Lego doesn't care at all about construction figures or doing a good job with storytelling, etc. and is willing to discard one without a moment's notice; hence Bionicle could have the same fate.

-Bionicle comes back, but it's Bionicle in name only: using the same tired 2.0 style builds that Hero Factory has used with virtually no new pieces or innovation of any sort and hardly anything to distinguish it as Bionicle and not just the new Hero Factory sets with the Hero cores removed.

-Reboot: the entire old continuity is discarded. If Lego even bothers with any sort of story or media, it will pull liberally from old names and such from Bionicle but the new story is terribly simplistic, underdeveloped, and unsatisfying. The new story utterly fails to establish he same level of world-building and storyline complexity that Bionicle had achieved.

-No new Bionicle-type names at all. I'm not sure how licensing works, but from what I understand Lego had to trademark all those old Bionicle names, save exceptions like those Mata Nui Online Game II Matoran and Rahi/Dark Hunter names. I don't know if Lego had to trademark the original Hero Factory names like "Preston Stormer" or "Voltix," but by Invasion from Below we started getting these horrible generic names like "Flyer Beast" and "Stormer Freeze Machine." Seriously, those sound like placeholder names that Lego would designate the figures with before an official name had been finalized, and my guess is those names weren't trademarked. I'm worried that once Bionicle comes back, aside from old characters whose names Lego already has and can reuse, all the new characters will have generic and un-Bionicle-like names.

-NO MEDIA OR MARKETING OF ANY KIND. Why the $&@? did Lego even bother making those Hero Factory specials if they didn't bother announcing when they were going to be or if they were even going to happen? The only way I knew about Ordeal of Fire was because BZPower announced it on the front page (thanks for that). The downfall of Hero Factory is likely that there is zero attempt to promote it in anyway. No wonder the sets don't sell. More, there's hardly any media for it at all. A big part of Bionicle's success and the reason why it developed such a rich and fully fleshed story was the wide variety of storytelling mediums that it utilized, including comics, books (I really miss those), web serials, online games, the occasional console game, and of course the four movies. Hero Factor has hardly any of that, and as a result there's hardly any story and what little there is sucks. What if Lego doesn't even bother with ANY Bionicle media (they don't seem to be making any more content with the Legend Reborn people anymore, so if we get anything it'll likely be by Ghost again), and all they put out is the sets?

-The first wave of Bionicle is vey unsuccessful because Lego is cheap and refuses to market it at all or have any media for it whatsoever. After the first wave, Bionicle is ended with the same abrupt complete lack of closure as Hero Factory and Lego never makes constraction figures again.

This is a worst-case scenario, but it's not too far-fetched and it's what I'm worried will happen. Hopefully, I'll be wrong and this Bionicle will be a worthy successor to Hero Factory and the previous Bionicle series.

• Upvote 3

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I just saw a video where this person says they sent a letter to Lego, and Lego replied, and in their reply, they confirmed HF is not going to end next year.  Lego's reply letter was not shown in the video, but this person read it off.  Though it could be fake, I believe it to be genuine -- the person even mentioned something Lego worded kinda strangely in the letter.  So I can say this with certainty:

Hero Factory 2015 is coming....

~W.12.~

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I just saw a video where this person says they sent a letter to Lego, and Lego replied, and in their reply, they confirmed HF is not going to end next year. Lego's reply letter was not shown in the video, but this person read it off. Though it could be fake, I believe it to be genuine -- the person even mentioned something Lego worded kinda strangely in the letter. So I can say this with certainty:

~W.12.~

I'm sorry, but that hype train just ain't gonna leave the station for me.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I just saw a video where this person says they sent a letter to Lego, and Lego replied, and in their reply, they confirmed HF is not going to end next year.  Lego's reply letter was not shown in the video, but this person read it off.  Though it could be fake, I believe it to be genuine -- the person even mentioned something Lego worded kinda strangely in the letter.  So I can say this with certainty:

~W.12.~

There is also the slim chance of Bionicle and HF running at the same time. Let me emphasize on SLIM, because it is highly unlikely that LEGO would run two similar themes in the same year.

However, I have seen valid arguments supporting both sides of the debate as to if Bionicle is coming back. I personally believe that we should just wait and see what happens in the near future. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Of course I'm super excited at the possibility of Bionicle's return just like all of you probably are, but I'm worried that Lego bringing back their most popular construction line demonstrates lack of faith in build able figures as a whole. This is what I'm afraid will happen:

-Hero Factory is abruptly canceled with no conclusion of any sort whatsoever, not even the sort of half-baked finale that Bionicle got. Demonstrates that Lego doesn't care at all about construction figures or doing a good job with storytelling, etc. and is willing to discard one without a moment's notice; hence Bionicle could have the same fate.

-Bionicle comes back, but it's Bionicle in name only: using the same tired 2.0 style builds that Hero Factory has used with virtually no new pieces or innovation of any sort and hardly anything to distinguish it as Bionicle and not just the new Hero Factory sets with the Hero cores removed.

-Reboot: the entire old continuity is discarded. If Lego even bothers with any sort of story or media, it will pull liberally from old names and such from Bionicle but the new story is terribly simplistic, underdeveloped, and unsatisfying. The new story utterly fails to establish he same level of world-building and storyline complexity that Bionicle had achieved.

-No new Bionicle-type names at all. I'm not sure how licensing works, but from what I understand Lego had to trademark all those old Bionicle names, save exceptions like those Mata Nui Online Game II Matoran and Rahi/Dark Hunter names. I don't know if Lego had to trademark the original Hero Factory names like "Preston Stormer" or "Voltix," but by Invasion from Below we started getting these horrible generic names like "Flyer Beast" and "Stormer Freeze Machine." Seriously, those sound like placeholder names that Lego would designate the figures with before an official name had been finalized, and my guess is those names weren't trademarked. I'm worried that once Bionicle comes back, aside from old characters whose names Lego already has and can reuse, all the new characters will have generic and un-Bionicle-like names.

-NO MEDIA OR MARKETING OF ANY KIND. Why the $&@? did Lego even bother making those Hero Factory specials if they didn't bother announcing when they were going to be or if they were even going to happen? The only way I knew about Ordeal of Fire was because BZPower announced it on the front page (thanks for that). The downfall of Hero Factory is likely that there is zero attempt to promote it in anyway. No wonder the sets don't sell. More, there's hardly any media for it at all. A big part of Bionicle's success and the reason why it developed such a rich and fully fleshed story was the wide variety of storytelling mediums that it utilized, including comics, books (I really miss those), web serials, online games, the occasional console game, and of course the four movies. Hero Factor has hardly any of that, and as a result there's hardly any story and what little there is sucks. What if Lego doesn't even bother with ANY Bionicle media (they don't seem to be making any more content with the Legend Reborn people anymore, so if we get anything it'll likely be by Ghost again), and all they put out is the sets?

-The first wave of Bionicle is vey unsuccessful because Lego is cheap and refuses to market it at all or have any media for it whatsoever. After the first wave, Bionicle is ended with the same abrupt complete lack of closure as Hero Factory and Lego never makes constraction figures again.

This is a worst-case scenario, but it's not too far-fetched and it's what I'm worried will happen. Hopefully, I'll be wrong and this Bionicle will be a worthy successor to Hero Factory and the previous Bionicle series.

i worried about this happening too, hopefully lego will see all the fans that say they do not want any of this to happen.

i worried about this happening too, hopefully lego will see all the fans that say they do not want any of this to happen.

I'm not worried on that. Lego knows theres a market and many fans. Unlike most companies they do care.

Lets face it Lego ain't no Capcom with Megaman.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

~W.12.~

There is also the slim chance of Bionicle and HF running at the same time. Let me emphasize on SLIM, because it is highly unlikely that LEGO would run two similar themes in the same year.

However, I have seen valid arguments supporting both sides of the debate as to if Bionicle is coming back. I personally believe that we should just wait and see what happens in the near future.

If they continue doing minifigure scale constraction mechs and monsters in HF while Bionicle takes over the full figure role, I can see both themes coexisting.
  • Upvote 1
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

~W.12.~

If they continue doing minifigure scale constraction mechs and monsters in HF while Bionicle takes over the full figure role, I can see both themes coexisting.

There is also the possibility that in 2015 Lego will allow both themes to exist to see which one will rack in more revenue and a bigger fanbase. By examining the data they found in 2015, they could decide which line to scrap in 2016, or some year following that. 

Hero Factory does seem to be moving towards minifigure-type construction, so it could be possible for them to exist together for more than several years. I personally do not believe so, however that's just my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

If HF sticks to the minifig/mech thing they've done this year and Bionicle takes up the constraction figure mantle, then I see the possibility of the two coexsiting, for a while, at least. (I know which one I'll be buying).

• Upvote 2

And better yet, with Hero Factory using the simpler designs for their products, Bionicle might be able to return to their past history of using much more intricate models. It will take a few years for them to step away from the HF system, but I have high hopes for Bionicle's return set-wise.  I enjoy those high part count, thick instruction booklet breed of products, not those wimpy ones that they've been reverting to in recent years. 

However story-wise, this had better not be a reboot. I want a continuation, not recycled material. 

• Upvote 4

bZpOwEr

And better yet, with Hero Factory using the simpler designs for their products, Bionicle might be able to return to their past history of using much more intricate models. It will take a few years for them to step away from the HF system, but I have high hopes for Bionicle's return set-wise.  I enjoy those high part count, thick instruction booklet breed of products, not those wimpy ones that they've been reverting to in recent years. 

However story-wise, this had better not be a reboot. I want a continuation, not recycled material. 

I think I actually agree with every single thing you said there. I preferred the more intricate, customiseable models as well. And a continuation would be much more appreciated than a reboot or retelling. 

• Upvote 7

So if Bionicle 2015 is a complete reboot, do you think it will still be part of the old Bionicle's multiverse? Like could a character from the classic universe could travel to the new one by use of an Olmak?

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

So if Bionicle 2015 is a complete reboot, do you think it will still be part of the old Bionicle's multiverse? Like could a character from the classic universe could travel to the new one by use of an Olmak?

They could, but it could be confusing because they would have to introduce the backstory of that character.

Also the only known functional Olmak is fused to Vezon's head. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2