OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I think there's a clear resemblance to his original mask, it just looks like it got half-eaten by a machine. You can see he has his original grin in the form of those wide holes around the mouth. You can see the design progression here, though I agree they lost something in the translation: https://twitter.com/BZP_Tweets/status/520261897892163584

I like that middle-top design; wish they had gone with that one.

Huh. Hopefully this concept art will make its way online via official sources. I'd love to be able to take a closer look at clearer images of it. It strikes me as extremely odd that they started with designs matching the 2001 version almost exactly and yet ended up with what they have now....

I'm liking Lewa's mask. It seems like it could fold up along the ridges to reveal his face if it was a real mask.

The only issue I have with Lewa's mask is that I see no immediate resemblance to any of his prior masks; Tahu, Kopaka and Onua all have masks that resemble their 2001 Kanohi in some fashion, Gali's resembles her Nuva mask, and Pohatu's resembles his Phantoka mask (and is actually EXTREMELY similar to Photok's mask from that year). Lewa's doesn't really have that same connection at all.

You are not alone with that sentiment. I love all of the other masks - and have even warmed up to Tahu's despite liking the preliminary one from the original leaks more. But Lewa's just looks... Well honestly it kind of looks like Matau Hordika's head squished to me... Which is weird. But it looks like no other Miru and it's just odd.

~|ET|~

It burns even more for me because Lewa is the one Toa out of them all that I have to get. :P I cannot allow my tradition of buying every single Toa of Air to die!

not really feelin' only having two eye colors. They aren't even distributed 50/50. four of them have yellow eyes.

My friends and I don't have a 50/50 eye color distribution either.

your friends and you aren't a wave of LEGO sets

I just like to have an even distribution among a Toa team, though even better would be returning to the days of unique eye colors.

I do wish they had individual eye colors. 

(though I don't know if onua could handle any more colors)

A lot of Bionicle terms haven't been "dropped" but aren't references as much (Kanohi, Toa, etc.)

Greg Farshtey was a consultant during the early parts of the development. He is not writing the books.

Bionicle story animations will be a minute long and be released on the web

Story information will mostly be told in books, no other story was said to be worked on (comics, etc.)

No TV show. Sad face. Just online

There is something called "The Temple of Time" on Okoto

The new heads have noses! Kanohi connects from the sides of the head

They took the animation style inspiration from MNOG!

Kopaka's shield does in fact become it's skis. All of the Toa have what the team calls "Adrenaline Mode".

The Bionicle 2015 team is really emphasizing how much they want to do something new while still sticking true to the roots

BIONICLE "reboot" is akin to Star Trek new movies. Confirmed for three year line right now, possibly more later

Makuta wears the Mask of Control, Ekimu the Mask of Creation. Makuta wants the Mask of Ultimate Power. Both brothers are in a slumber.

For your conveince everything confirmed at NYCC together.

Edit:

https://community.lego.com/t5/BIONICLE/LMB-Exclusive-Masks-of-Power/m-p/11359305

Also, Lewa was originally the Master of Air bur they changed it because the color green was more associated with Jungle instead of Air.

Edited by Willess12

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Check the website. New bios are up!

Apparently, Mixels and original Bionicle had six babies, and we get a forgetful Tahu, a sleepy Onua, and a clumsy Kopaka...

The animation from NYCC also has a very Mixel-like vibe to it. I think I could use a Hammer of Creation to the face right now...

-snip-

For your conveince everything confirmed at NYCC together.

It's nice to have 3 years confirmed already! This also leaves hope that perhaps we could see a TV show or (dare I say it) a new movie in later years. I do find it curious that they are returning to books and using them as the primary source of storytelling, considering that the books never sold well before; perhaps by containing all of the major story within them, Lego hopes they will sell better?

Regardless, I'm very excited! 

What if the masks that the Toa come with are powerless, and only the golden ones give powers like speed, levitation, x-ray vision etc.

Calling it now.

• Upvote 3

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

What if the masks that the Toa come with are powerless, and only the golden ones give powers like speed, levitation, x-ray vision etc.

Calling it now.

Certainly sounds plausible.

Are the gold masks included with the sets?

Yes, I imagine so.

E: Giant wallpapers of the Toa's 6 golden masks are on the LMB

Edited by Voltex

How do you feel about the printed spider faces? I'm really disappointed but not surprised. I would've liked a skillets head like the original Rahis (Spinax, Fenrakk). They couldn't come up with something for a spider?

Yeah, that's kinda disappointing. But hey, it could be worse- they could've given us a sticker face instead.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like the red Defender was shown off alongside the Toa. It doesn't look like any of the others were on display, however. That said, Red Defender looks cool - perhaps they can attach to the backs of the Toa, like the Matoran in 2008?

Some of the concept art here depicts a Defender/Protector in a Turaga-like role: https://twitter.com/RusBionicle/status/520276060433178624

Interesting... I'd be cool with the Defenders being Turaga-like characters, as long as we get some sets fulfilling the Matoran-type role later down the line.

I don't really like the circles they have in the masks. It ruins the iconic look of some of the masks like the Miru and Kakama where the hole itself wasn't part of the design.

The new Hau mouth is too small and I would have liked it to be bigger to better represent the original Hau. It looks too much like they just took the chin from Stormer and slapped it on a Hau. 

The clip on mask system is nice, but I also don't like how the gear system sets back the arms.

AΨ 94

Well, it looks like the excitement peaked for now.  Someone else will have to take the role of unofficial Twitter quoter; I have important stuff to do.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

I read a comment on Facebook saying that the Toa do have small gear functions and that the gears are on their backs. Does anyone else have info about this?

The pictures definitely seem to suggest there are gear functions of arm-swingin' good times

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I read a comment on Facebook saying that the Toa do have small gear functions and that the gears are on their backs. Does anyone else have info about this?

Just look at the images on Facebook.

I guess I got so caught up looking at the new sets that I didn't even notice them. Silly me. :P

Thanks anyway, guys. :)

Edit: Also, I'm really happy to see them returning. 

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Gali has 4 axle-through ball joints more like I will buy 20 Galis

I'm going to be tempted to buy more than one of Gali as well. So far, she's easily my favorite of the new Toa sets.

Hmm... the gear system sets the arms back. I wonder how that looks in person?

Well, I created my own version of Tahu with gears (although of course it doesn't have the new gearbox piece, but I improvised), and to me, it looks fine from the front. Just don't look at them from the sides tho. :P

Luckily, I had already resolved not to do that, thanks to Kopaka's rather atrocious lower legs. Like seriously what is going on there? From the front he's going to look so cool, and from the side it's going to look so bad.

ALSOALSOALSO

Lego posted that animated story teaser on Facebook. Time to watch and actually hear what it says!

We can finally discuss the Toa! I absolutely love the new designs for the Toa, they are reminiscent of their previous iterations and clearly had a lot of effort put into their designs. I love that weapon dual functionality is back and Onua, my favorite of the original Toa does not disappoint, absolutely my first buy. I am so incredibly excited about the new Bionicle and I cannot wait to dive into the story once more!

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

HD video is up on the LEGO BIONICLE Facebook page.

Yeah, the simplification still doesn't sound great. But I'm totally sold on the sets. And the more I watch this thing, the more I think it could turn out alright.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

So after many lookings at the Toa, I have decided that Gali is definitely my favorite, followed by Kopaka, then Lewa, then Onua, then Pohatu, and then Tahu. I'll share more in-depth thoughts on them at a later date, but Gali is definitely #1 on my Bionicle 2015 shopping list besides Lewa (who is mandatory).

Yay for the green small guy and the blue small guy finally officially appearing.

...am I mistaken, or is Pohatu's transparent color trans lime green?

That looks terrible.

I thought it was trans yellow?

I thought so too, but in the imgur gallery it definitely looks like trans lime

I think that's mostly the picture quality. In this picture they look more like trans yellow than the eyes, which look like they're trans lime green. That said, I could easily be wrong. If you're correct... then some of my enthusiasm for Pohatu will be down the drain until I can see the set in person and judge it that way.

I'll reserve my opinions on the new backstory, but right now I'm busy fawning over Onua. I'm still puzzled about his gold+silver color scheme, but it actually looks strangely good in some of these pictures. 

I'm just really happy they made Onua the strongman of the group. That's how I always saw him, so I was never fond of that Greg-ism that "Pohatu's the strong one, Onua's just a regular-strength Toa with a Pakari." It always seemed very counter-intuitive to me. I also like that they're characterizing him as "sleepy"--I'm ambivalent about some of the Toa's new personality traits, but this is a good addition for Onua. They're making him even more like his element: dormant but immensely powerful. 

Edited by Wrinkledlion X