OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I must say I've noticed increasing disappointment in the reboot over the past few months, and just last year we were all super excited and happy for the reboot, now everyone is criticizing it (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego started throwing fart jokes into their stories (actually I think they might have already somewhere).

You're right, they did it in the Chima show(A.K.A one of the worst things lego have their name attached to). 

They also did in MNOG. :P

Where? 

It's time to move on.

Like in the webiside where Tahu derped out and accidentally defeated skull spiders, that's like funny if you're 7.

See, I thought that was well-placed and funny. Most of the people I've seen complaining about that joke in particular have also been the people decrying the whole reboot for being "childish" (as though that's an insult to a children's toyline) and not fitting their ridiculously high standards. It emphasized the luck aspect of Tahu's personality (as outlined in his profile) and introduced the antagonists for the first part of the story. I thought it worked well, my siblings (who are the target audience) also enjoyed it, which proves they're appealing to who they need to appeal to most.

I must say I've noticed increasing disappointment in the reboot over the past few months, and just last year we were all super excited and happy for the reboot, now everyone is criticizing it (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego started throwing fart jokes into their stories (actually I think they might have already somewhere).

You're right, they did it in the Chima show(A.K.A one of the worst things lego have their name attached to).

Where?

here

Edited by Dina Saruyama
  • Upvote 1

Where?

In Tahu's arrival animation.

IetTsFQ.png

Where?

It's still a more dignified fart joke then whatever Chima was going for. 

It's time to move on.

The story came first and drew me into the sets. 

That's probably the easiest way to put it. I had some intrigue over the sets at first, but without the story I would have never followed it seriously. 

These days I can appreciate a good set with no story behind it, but I'm much more likely to pick up something with a story behind it than not. 

(I think I've said something to this effect like 10 times by now, so nothing really to read here...SCROLL. :P)

• Upvote 2

Like in the webiside where Tahu derped out and accidentally defeated skull spiders, that's like funny if you're 7.

See, I thought that was well-placed and funny. Most of the people I've seen complaining about that joke in particular have also been the people decrying the whole reboot for being "childish" (as though that's an insult to a children's toyline) and not fitting their ridiculously high standards. It emphasized the luck aspect of Tahu's personality (as outlined in his profile) and introduced the antagonists for the first part of the story. I thought it worked well, my siblings (who are the target audience) also enjoyed it, which proves they're appealing to who they need to appeal to most.

Agreed. I found that scene hilarious and awesome as well, and I'm 23 years old.

It's true, the new BIONICLE story is childish. And considering who it's aimed at, it should be childish. "Childish" is not a negative by any stretch of the imagination. A story can have all kinds of childish humor and still have sophisticated themes, compelling characters, and an engaging plot. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great example. That series had plenty of potty humor or otherwise childish humor. But it is loved by fans of all ages. The live-action version, which took a far more serious approach, is almost universally regarded as mediocre if not outright atrocious.

Last month I actually read an article discussing the underappreciated excellence of children's literature as a category. It's something I was already familiar with — a disproportionate amount of the time I spend in libraries and bookstores is in the children's section, because that's where I know I can find my favorite characters, my favorite authors, and stories I can thoroughly enjoy reading.

There's a popular quote by C.S. Lewis that sums up the problem with demonizing childishness. It's very applicable here. "Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves."

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Where?

It's still a more dignified fart joke then whatever Chima was going for. 

Holy cow, I never realized that was a fart joke! The fart jokes in Chima, I absolutely hated! I thought LEGO was better than that. Even as a little kid I never found that stuff funny, just crude and distasteful. That Steve Urckal-like skunk was the worst thing about Chima, hands down.

Edited by ToaDraco
  • Upvote 4

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Agreed. I found that scene hilarious and awesome as well, and I'm 23 years old.

It's true, the new BIONICLE story is childish. And considering who it's aimed at, it should be childish. "Childish" is not a negative by any stretch of the imagination. A story can have all kinds of childish humor and still have sophisticated themes, compelling characters, and an engaging plot. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great example. That series had plenty of potty humor or otherwise childish humor. But it is loved by fans of all ages. The live-action version, which took a far more serious approach, is almost universally regarded as mediocre if not outright atrocious.

Last month I actually read an article discussing the underappreciated excellence of children's literature as a category. It's something I was already familiar with — a disproportionate amount of the time I spend in libraries and bookstores is in the children's section, because that's where I know I can find my favorite characters, my favorite authors, my favorite characters, and stories I can thoroughly enjoy reading.

There's a popular quote by C.S. Lewis that sums up the problem with demonizing childishness. It's very applicable here. "Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves."

Indeed. E. Nesbit's Enchanted Castle is one of the more haunting and madly inventive things I have read. And as a lover of history, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention her Story of the Amulet (the third book in the trilogy that Five Children and It began,) a wonderfully evocative time travel tale (employing a healthy dose of timey-wimey antics 101 years before Steven Moffat coined the term.)

Edited by Quisoves Potoo

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

[...] A story can have all kinds of childish humor and still have sophisticated themes, compelling characters, and an engaging plot. [...]

Exactly.

At the moment it has childish humour and nothing else notable. [Yet!]

& even then, I would suggest there can be a subtle but critical difference between, say, simple and depthless;

Issues with the use of the words like childish come up regularly because socially a number of ideas are conflated together that it becomes hard to use a precise word for one of them without someone thinking the other is meant.

Outside of the graphics, what exactly is sophisticated about the G2 animations?

Being just 'childish' is somewhat exclusionary, & well, I think part of their target audience doesn't want to feel like they're being childish, so whilst a certain quote actually covers that perspective as well, from a marketing perspective I'd think they would want to be able to appeal to a broader audience, so it's not so much that being childish is bad, but being just childish is bad... (& even then I have disputes with the use of the word childish; but for simplicities sake I've dropped them.)

So yeah even if I don't entirely agree with bioniclepluslotr, his perspective seems pertinent!

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I like the humor in the animations, and the animations are great, it's just they need to be longer and more fleshed out. Okay... maybe it's just the voice acting, as a lot is said cheesily fast, which makes the pace seem off. I will say that in MNOG, the Toa scenes were a lot more interesting, and the Toa, despite not knowing where they came from, were a lot more competent when it came to combat. Then again, ALL OF THAT could just be because their elements were A PART OF THEM, and not just housed in the masks they wear. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Outside of the graphics, what exactly is sophisticated about the G2 animations?

Not much, but I fail to see how something must be sophisticated to be good. The Three Stooges are not sophisticated, by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy them immensely. I think the animations are similar. The Toa are goofy. There is nothing particularly profound about Onua breaking up Tahu and Kopaka's childish clash, and yet I find it rather amusing, in the same way I find Moe conking Curly and Larry on the heads, or a map full of punny names, amusing. I'm not going to debate the fact that Templar's material was much superior, but that was a far different beast. The new animations don't aspire to the same heights, nor should we take for granted the magic of those early ones.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

It seems that everyone has forgotten that the very name of Bionicle "Biological Chronicle" means that this isn't a slapstick comedy or just your run of the mill constraction theme where the plot is simplistic and easy like Hero Factory. Right now, they're not doing well on the whole chronicle part, which by name implies that the whole emphasis should be equally on the sets AND telling an in depth story. Without that, it just simply isn't Bionicle.

You see, what we're expecting is something WORTHY of the name Bionicle. Without key characteristics from the very thing you claim to be, you cannot be that thing. If you bear a well established name, you WILL be compared to your predecessors. It happens in every other toyline/storyline, and it will happen here. In the end, right now this seems to be more of a spiritual successor that bears the same name, but isn't anything like the old line in terms of story quality. The effort, story wise, is not here. The sets are worthy, the current story is not.

^ That's the opinion of most bitter fans.

I personally think we're just in New Bionicle's Morbuzahk faze.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while. The arguments here are getting way out of hand with no conclusions.

See ya later!

Adios!

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Yeah I liked my Protector of Fire build. I just think his limbs are a bit awkward. I mean his knees are way up by his hips and his arms have no real elbows. Possibility is a bit weak in that regards. Still he looks good in person. I'm giving him that. The colors just work for him.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I just built Lord of Skull Spiders. He is like 30% bigger than I thought he would be, and looks extremely evil. Definitely a menace to the Protectors. While his function is decent, building him was extremely fun and reminded me how great Technic builds are. I'm also more excited for Skull Scorpio now, because to be honest the lack of articulation doesn't bother me on LoSS and it's great to have more non-humanoids.

Anyways I definitely recommend him, especially if you have some Toa/Protectors.

• Upvote 5

IetTsFQ.png

I just built Lord of Skull Spiders. He is like 30% bigger than I thought he would be, and looks extremely evil. Definitely a menace to the Protectors. While his function is decent, building him was extremely fun and reminded me how great Technic builds are. I'm also more excited for Skull Scorpio now, because to be honest the lack of articulation doesn't bother me on LoSS and it's great to have more non-humanoids.

Well said. Something people don't consider when complaining about LoSS's articulation is that his function is essentially a substitute for typical articulation—while he only has one normal point of articulation in each leg, the fact that his function makes his legs move in unison essentially doubles that count. That's a huge benefit, because it means that he's massively easier to pose than a fully articulated spider would be—instead of having to readjust a whopping 12 points of articulation after using the function or moving him, there are only six—which is, perhaps not coincidentally, equal to the number of points of articulation that might need readjustment on the Toa after using their functions as well. As for his size, he's on par with Onua given the span of his legs, and I can't even comprehend why anyone would really want or need him to be any bigger. A spider the size of a bodybuilder is plenty big enough to be terrifying!

I still fear that Skull Scorpio is going to end up being a weaker design than Lord of Skull Spiders, though. His legs are all completely rigid, making the only real points of articulation his arms and his tail. I suppose that alone isn't a deal-breaker—after all, the classic Nui Jaga didn't have articulation in its "claws", and while its legs were articulated it hardly amounted to much given the fact that they looked more or less the same in either position. And I do still think Skull Scorpio is one of the Skull Villains I want (along with Skull Basher), since I want the blended Pohatu mask and I am genuinely a fan of Skull Scorpio's Kafka-esque look. But he has a high bar to reach to match LoSS.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That wasn't a joke, that's just muscle memory from Tahu's previous life.

I hope it is, it's kinda hard to tell, due to the accident nature of the scene I'm not sure if it was supposed to be taken seriously. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

That wasn't a joke, that's just muscle memory from Tahu's previous life.

I hope it is, it's kinda hard to tell, due to the accident nature of the scene I'm not sure if it was supposed to be taken seriously. 

For me, I felt like it was equal parts hilarious and awesome. It was hilarious because of how unexpected it was for Tahu (who lacked any conscious memories of his heroic calling), but awesome because of what a natural fighter Tahu turned out to be just minutes after his arrival. His reflexes are definitely on point!

In general, I think the animations have done a good job balancing "awesome" and "hilarious", much as many of the LEGO Group's other story properties like Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, LEGO City Undercover, and The LEGO Movie have done previously. The moment when the Protector of Fire throws off his cloak also had that vibe. Again, it was surprising and improbable that this hunched figure had a muscular bod and a minigun under that cloak, but also awesome that this character who seemed like just a stereotypical elder figure was in fact fully prepared to accompany Tahu into danger.

• Upvote 4

Am I the only one who wishes the protectors were a bit more turaga like, don't get me wrong I like the protectors but I wish they had staffs with them to give them that village elder feel. I admittedly am a bit peeved that they seem to be primarily warriors because it feels lego are caving into the sexist concept that boys just want mindless violence with no substance to it. 

It's time to move on.

Am I the only one who wishes the protectors were a bit more turaga like, don't get me wrong I like the protectors but I wish they had staffs with them to give them that village elder feel. I admittedly am a bit peeved that they seem to be primarily warriors because it feels lego are caving into the sexist concept that boys just want mindless violence with no substance to it. 

From my understanding, the reason we barely got any Turaga in G1 is because kids were more interested in characters like the Matoran who could accompany the Toa into battle or even fight for themselves. This isn't necessarily because BIONICLE's audience was boys — the sets are action figures, and an action figure that isn't suited for any kind of action scenarios is pretty lackluster from a play perspective.

With that in mind, I think it was a very smart decision to make the Protectors village elders who CAN fight for themselves. Being able to hold their own in battle doesn't amount to mindless violence — Avatar: The Last Airbender had lots of butt-kicking characters of the older age set.

• Upvote 4

From my understanding, the reason we barely got any Turaga in G1 is because kids were more interested in characters like the Matoran who could accompany the Toa into battle or even fight for themselves. This isn't necessarily because BIONICLE's audience was boys — the sets are action figures, and an action figure that isn't suited for any kind of action scenarios is pretty lackluster from a play perspective.

With that in mind, I think it was a very smart decision to make the Protectors village elders who CAN fight for themselves. Being able to hold their own in battle doesn't amount to mindless violence — Avatar: The Last Airbender had lots of butt-kicking characters of the older age set.

Well to be fair it's not that I don't want them to have weapons period, it's just that the protectors are a little shall I say over action packed, and by over action packed I mean to the point where it takes away from the villager feel. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Yeah, I think main reason is ACTION figures of old people who need a cane to walk aren't very exciting, like getting an action figure of the old man in a walker from UP, nobody wants that. I agree with Aanchir, they did a great job in giving us village elders that are wise and can hold they're own in a fight. More Yoda, less old man from UP.

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I think it depends just a little on taste. For me, the more tail-kicking characters the better, as long as they kick tail in different and unique ways that the other characters can't kick tail in. For example, the small guy fits into the enemy vent shaft and destroys the command post from within while the big guy leads the attack force against the enemy fortress. Neither could do the other's job, thus leaving them both awesome. 

And I think that applies just a little to Tahu and PoF. Tahu is the big guy with the AWESOME POWUH OF FIRE,  while PoF is the little guy with the GATLING GUN OF SPIDER-MOWING. Both need the other in order to retrieve the Golden Mask of Power. At least, that's what's implied. I wish they would show that a bit better, but yeah. 

But not all people share this taste. Some people prefer their stories quiet, with more realistic, flaw-ridden weak characters, or a bit of a mix. G1 tried to go for a mix, and there's some cases where they did a good job (read: Metru Nui) and some cases where they didn't do quite as good a job (read: 2007). 2001-2003 is a collection of some of the weakest and flawed characters, with the tail-kicking aspect downplayed. 2006 is a collection of butt-kickers - even the Matoran had weapons!

Another thing to note is that the original Turaga were hardly pathetic weaklings. They had Noble Masks of Power, staffs to hit Matoran with...heck, Vakama even took on the Rahi Nui. So yarr, making PoF more weaponized hardly seems unprecedented. They're just leveling the playing field. 

• Upvote 1

My name's Prowl NightWolf and I approve this message. More love for the Lord of Skull Spiders. Also speaking of LoSS and Onua, I made a video showing that... Have to upload it so everyone can see.

I'm still headcanoning it that the Protectors aren't the village elders. I don't like that LEGO's trying to make them the elders, to me, they're the Matoran equivalent, not the Turaga equivalent.

Yeah I think I am there with ya. I don't know where it specifically states that the Protectors are the Gen2 Turaga but maybe due to missing the official word on that makes me think that they are the villagers not just the leaders. Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I'm still headcanoning it that the Protectors aren't the village elders. I don't like that LEGO's trying to make them the elders, to me, they're the Matoran equivalent, not the Turaga equivalent.

Yeah I think I am there with ya. I don't know where it specifically states that the Protectors are the Gen2 Turaga but maybe due to missing the official word on that makes me think that they are the villagers not just the leaders.
The Protectors have been explicitly shown to be leaders, speaking for the other villagers, such as when the Protector of Fire meets Tahu. Official word isn't needed because it's obvious that they fill the same role as the Turaga in leading the villagers. Besides, how can the Protectors be the villagers when there is only one of each of them? They're also specifically distinguished from the villagers depicted in the animations.

~B~

• Upvote 4

Lego's not trying to "make" them the elders. They were conceptualized as elders/leaders, designed as elders/leaders, and literally every piece of media we've seen describes/depicts them as elders/leaders. There's nothing to "try"—your "headcanon" contradicts the concept of the Protectors on pretty much every level.

I'm wondering, why specifically are you intent on having them represent regular Matoran? It seems to be a strange thing to insist upon, and I'm genuinely curious why their leadership status doesn't sit well with you.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah I think I am there with ya. I don't know where it specifically states that the Protectors are the Gen2 Turaga but maybe due to missing the official word on that makes me think that they are the villagers not just the leaders.
The Protectors have been explicitly shown to be leaders, speaking for the other villagers, such as when the Protector of Fire meets Tahu. Official word isn't needed because it's obvious that they fill the same role as the Turaga in leading the villagers. Besides, how can the Protectors be the villagers when there is only one of each of them? They're also specifically distinguished from the villagers depicted in the animations.

~B~

Yeah, Protectors are the village chieftains/sages. That was established at NYCC when the sets were first confirmed. The "Power of the Protectors" page of the magazine scan linked above confirms that there are only six Protectors, and their bios on the website confirm that the title of Protector is handed down from generation to generation along with the special Protector Masks of Power and the Prophecy of Heroes.

It's not really surprising either, judging from the name "Protector". After all, look at Turaga Vakama's original bio: "Turaga Vakama is the holder of the Great Firestaff and protector of Tahu's legend." Every single Turaga bio identified them in this capacity; only Turaga Matau's bio also referred to him specifically as a "leader" (not to mention "a brave warrior").

It's a bit weird: I remember back before BIONICLE was rebooted, some people were complaining about how G1 made the Turaga seem old and feeble; now people are complaining that the new Protectors are not old or feeble ENOUGH.

Granted, the Protectors ARE villagers, by definition, because they live in the villages. But they are villagers in unique positions of authority.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

~B~

Actually I do believe I read in one of the inserts that there are more than one. So while we have only one whom is the head or leader, there are others. Though I suppose anyone who wants to break that down to explain why there are only one at a time. It is possible. Also the depictions are only shown via the Fire villagers. and if one knows about animation style, when massing a group the group at large becomes simplified in their design to save on time and cost. It has been one for years. Anyway...

Onua.png

My opinion on where Bionicle is going:

If you're judging the theme only by its sets, than the theme is perfect. But we're talking about the story right now. The animations are VERY funny to watch, and I would love to see a montage of all the funny moments, from "I didn't slip" to "I can feel THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!". :P But it just feels a little bit too much comedy, and not enough seriousness. But then again, if the quotes like "MASTER OF FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and "I am SEEING THINGS!" didn't sound so over-emphasized funny, it would probably seem more serious. It feels like the animations are too short and little too rushed, and I wish there was a game like MNOG or something that was light-hearted but not overly comedic. (I'm not sure if the narrator is trying to make all those lines sound funny or not.) It's funny to watch the animations, but they're not really giving me a sense of thrill and suspense. I'm hoping the Summer wave brings more of that to the story. Actually, I wish Bionicle was more like Ninjago. Ninjago is comedic but it still has a sense of thrill and danger and the comedy isn't overwhelming. There's a balance between comedy and seriousness, and the Bionicle webisodes, whether it was intended to be that way or not, are a bit too heavy on the comedy side. I feel really engaged in the Ninjago storyline. But the way the Bionicle story is being told just hasn't had the same effect. They're just... missing something...?

But the sets are fantastic. Also, Onua & the Hero Pack arrived from the online Lego Shop today. Onua looks great and has great functions, and the Hero Pack is really cool. That transparent orange Mask of Fire looks great on Tahu. Now all I need is the NYCC clear mask, and my Gen 2 Mask of Fire collection will be complete. :P (Unless one shows up somewhere for really cheap I probably won't get one, though.)

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

~B~

Actually I do believe I read in one of the inserts that there are more than one. So while we have only one whom is the head or leader, there are others. Though I suppose anyone who wants to break that down to explain why there are only one at a time. It is possible. Also the depictions are only shown via the Fire villagers. and if one knows about animation style, when massing a group the group at large becomes simplified in their design to save on time and cost. It has been one for years. Anyway...

What you read was probably from some of the early promotional material. Canonically, there is only one protector per village, although certain promotional material had incorrectly used that term to reference the living beings in the villages, since we really haven't gotten a name for the villager species. There's also a similar case where in an other language, they were called Matoran. It's safe to say that promotional pamphlets aren't the best source, and that one should stick to the books, the site, and especially the animations for canon story details. What we've been told via the story: The title of protector comes with their masks, and they pass these masks down to their offspring/someone worthy of carrying the Legend of the Toa and Ekimu. Their duty is to protect their villages and act as sources of guidance.

• Upvote 3

What you read was probably from some of the early promotional material. Canonically, there is only one protector per village, although certain promotional material had incorrectly used that term to reference the living beings in the villages, since we really haven't gotten a name for the villager species. There's also a similar case where in an other language, they were called Matoran. It's safe to say that promotional pamphlets aren't the best source, and that one should stick to the books, the site, and especially the animations for canon story details. What we've been told via the story: The title of protector comes with their masks, and they pass these masks down to their offspring/someone worthy of carrying the Legend of the Toa and Ekimu. Their duty is to protect their villages and act as sources of guidance.

This could likely be the case. I do remember the article about calling the villagers "Matoran" and agree fully that it may be a language barrier issue. This was not from the same article where I read there were multiple of a protector however. If it was an early release it is possible that the term Protector could have be meant as the Villagers as a whole in the beginning stages. Everything I've read has been online and I have no idea how long it has been there or when I was published before I end up reading it. Now I know the sets we got released are intended to be the individuals that accompany the Toa on their Journey as they may each know where the respective Golden Mask are located.

Still, I have not seen any official material regarding the other villagers other than the group of Fire ones displayed in the arrival animation. I still hold true the reason the Fire Protector was more flushed out in design and colors regards to the Horde of fire villagers behind him is because he was the focus. Again this has to do with time and cost restraints. "Cheaper is better" Now I am not expecting that all of the Fire villagers have a shoulder mounted weapon or are built exactly like the set we got. Or is true of the other elemental villagers. We know they have different builds however that may work as we have seen a smaller child like fire protector in several scenes. Be him a random child in the village or the offspring of the fire protector telling this story and therefore the future village leader/elder. The weapons for each Protector may very well be the Gen2 version of the Turaga staffs of office (or whatever they are called). That does breed questions regarding the Earth Protector. Does his get implanted or was he born/created with it?

I am rambling now I think. Anyway I may still hold true to the concept of the Protectors being the villagers themselves under the guise of being "Protectors of the Island" rather then just "Protector of the villagers". Now each village has a leader or elder that follows the legends and keeps them. This is who I believe greeted Tahu upon his arrival. Either because he was the oldest of the Fire Protectors, or maybe due to him having the elder Mask. This I guess is just my "Head cannon".

Now maybe if the Protectors were given actual names I would lead more towards the idea that they were intended to be just the village leaders. Without it I guess I just cannot get over the hump preventing me from believing that Protector means "village leader" instead of just "Villager" in general.

Onua.png

This could likely be the case. I do remember the article about calling the villagers "Matoran" and agree fully that it may be a language barrier issue. This was not from the same article where I read there were multiple of a protector however. If it was an early release it is possible that the term Protector could have be meant as the Villagers as a whole in the beginning stages. Everything I've read has been online and I have no idea how long it has been there or when I was published before I end up reading it. Now I know the sets we got released are intended to be the individuals that accompany the Toa on their Journey as they may each know where the respective Golden Mask are located.

Still, I have not seen any official material regarding the other villagers other than the group of Fire ones displayed in the arrival animation. I still hold true the reason the Fire Protector was more flushed out in design and colors regards to the Horde of fire villagers behind him is because he was the focus. Again this has to do with time and cost restraints. "Cheaper is better" Now I am not expecting that all of the Fire villagers have a shoulder mounted weapon or are built exactly like the set we got. Or is true of the other elemental villagers. We know they have different builds however that may work as we have seen a smaller child like fire protector in several scenes. Be him a random child in the village or the offspring of the fire protector telling this story and therefore the future village leader/elder. The weapons for each Protector may very well be the Gen2 version of the Turaga staffs of office (or whatever they are called). That does breed questions regarding the Earth Protector. Does his get implanted or was he born/created with it?

I am rambling now I think. Anyway I may still hold true to the concept of the Protectors being the villagers themselves under the guise of being "Protectors of the Island" rather then just "Protector of the villagers". Now each village has a leader or elder that follows the legends and keeps them. This is who I believe greeted Tahu upon his arrival. Either because he was the oldest of the Fire Protectors, or maybe due to him having the elder Mask. This I guess is just my "Head cannon".

Now maybe if the Protectors were given actual names I would lead more towards the idea that they were intended to be just the village leaders. Without it I guess I just cannot get over the hump preventing me from believing that Protector means "village leader" instead of just "Villager" in general.

All villagers seem to have the exact same build, save the protectors. My proof is in the first animation released for Bionicle showed villagers from different tribes fishing together, all having the same build that has been used for all of the villagers since. It stands to reason that the protectors are just more armored up than your average villager, as they are the leaders and the "Turaga" like figures. This isn't about being cheap or lazy, these are what the villagers officially look like, and it makes sense since if they were all armored up, then what's stopping them from just getting a blaster and saving themselves? The villagers don't have armor specifically so they seem like vulnerable citizens. The animations say that their are six protectors, and they pass down their special masks to the next generation. That means there can only be one protector per tribe, other wise their role wouldn't even be that special now would it? Normal villagers have masks are also different from the ones the protectors have, as they are all one solid color. 

All villagers seem to have the exact same build, save the protectors. My proof is in the first animation released for Bionicle showed villagers from different tribes fishing together, all having the same build that has been used for all of the villagers since. It stands to reason that the protectors are just more armored up than your average villager, as they are the leaders and the "Turaga" like figures. This isn't about being cheap or lazy, these are what the villagers officially look like, and it makes sense since if they were all armored up, then what's stopping them from just getting a blaster and saving themselves? The villagers don't have armor specifically so they seem like vulnerable citizens. The animations say that their are six protectors, and they pass down their special masks to the next generation. That means there can only be one protector per tribe, other wise their role wouldn't even be that special now would it? Normal villagers have masks are also different from the ones the protectors have, as they are all one solid color.

See, where you see this as proof of your concept regarding identical builds for the villagers. I see this as proof that the animators picked a generic concept to quickly create what they wanted to save time and money. In the animation you speak of (watching and breaking it down as I type this) "The Legend" shows 3 villagers. One from the air/jungle, water, and fire, seemingly fishing together. Now as they are generic villagers who can surmise that they would look similar. Well they do. Fair enough, however that evidence is circumstantial and can lead either way. One side of the coin(you) could say that this shows that all villagers are identical other than color. Now the other side of the coin(me) can argue this is just a generic representation of the villagers as is seen as a Trope. Neither is yet wrong nor are they right.

The next time you see any villagers is in the following animation "Prophecy of Heroes" and they are in fact Fire Villagers. It shows a scene where two fire villagers are cringing together at the sight of a green skull spider. These villager's masks are not solid and have a shade of orange to them. Also if you look to the far right you can see a deeper red villager rushing around. So are you telling me both of these Fire villagers are in fact the Fire Protector? Well that would state that either there are more than one Protector of Fire, or his mask is not as unique as you want us to believe? Regardless my eyes do not deceive I see a hole in the logic...

Now this same animation goes on to describe the Protectors as going to a sacred and protected place (The temple of time) to send their prayers to the sky. "The Prophecy was whispered to the Protectors a long time ago when they found the lifeless body of Ekimu: The Mask Maker and laid him to rest." During this it only shows a single Protector of each element. It may also suggest that there have only been one set of Protectors between then and when the Toa were summoned. Or it could be referring to the Protectors as the villagers as a whole. Let's keep watching shall we?

The next set of scenes shows a Fire Villager with a non-solid mask and a smaller villager looking at a temple glyph by torchlight. The larger Villager has a more yellow mask Vs the smaller's half yellow half red/orange. Again, sign of a non-solid color mask for a villager. Now for the Prophecy itself:

"When times are dark, and all hope seems lost. The Protectors must unite, one from each tribe. Invoke the power of Past & Future and look to the skies for an answer. When the stars align, 6 comets will bring timeless heroes to claim the Masks of Power and find the Mask Maker. United, the elements hold the power to defeat evil; united, but not one. It was the Power of this Prophecy that made six Elemental Heroes rain down upon Okoto. Who they really were remained a mystery, but it was their destiny to defeat evil and save the island."

This is quoted from the actual animation. Now shall we break it apart? yes lets. Again there is potential evidence that either there is a single protector for each tribe(you), or that one was just selected from within each tribe(me). The Prophecy states one from each tribe suggesting there may be more but they only need one. Otherwise it would seem simpler to just state "The Protector of each tribe must unite. Invoke the Power of Past & Future etc..." This leads credence to my theory while possibly pulling further from your own.

The next animation is "The Arrival" where once again we see only the Fire Villagers. Now it states "The wise Protector lead the local villagers to a creator of fire." In the animation it seems as though there are 15 fire villagers one of which is smaller than the others. Now their design and color all seem identical. So lets flip that coin again... on one side(yours) we can suggest that once again there shows proof that the villagers all share the same build and while they do have solid masks thus villagers have solid masks where Protector's do not. Now on the other side(mine) this is not definitive in that while yes it shows "cookie cutter" depictions of "Fire" Villagers this is easier and simpler to animate over say 15 separate build types, or even just 7(one for each protector + child). They are generic villagers, no-names if you will. So spending the time and money to differentiate them from each other is illogical at this point in the story. Like stated above it is a type of Trope; where large masses or crowds will look similar or identical. This is because they are meant as a whole instead of individuals. The same thing with a Tree vs a forest. When looking at the Forest all the trees seem to look alike, however when picking out a single tree or trees you can see they are different.

Now it may sadden me to say this but this particular animation states a single protector leading villagers to Tahu's location. Now while this does not directly discredit my theory of there being more than one, it does seem to lean more towards the concept of there only being one. Like a weight scale trying to show balance between the two ideas.

Sorry for the long post, though I am looking forward to your own thoughts. Can you take what I've given you and convince me or maybe I converted you?

My Side:

1 ) There are more than one Protector of each element at a time.

2 ) The Protectors are the villagers or are villagers themselves.

3 ) The Animations use a crowd type Trope to show general villagers over key villagers by solidifying their design and colors.

4 ) Actual villagers are built differently and do not all have the exact same build/color just as the Protector sets and can/do have not-solid colored masks as well.

Thank you...

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf
  • Upvote 1

Onua.png

Yeah I liked my Protector of Fire build. I just think his limbs are a bit awkward. I mean his knees are way up by his hips and his arms have no real elbows. Possibility is a bit weak in that regards. Still he looks good in person. I'm giving him that. The colors just work for him.

Yeah, I was disappointed by the limbs for sure. His legs looks alright but they are awful for poseability. And his arms are terrible - love the tonfa weapons but its hard to make them look cool when he can barely articulate his limbs. The best action shots I could get were these two photos and even then they aren't terribly dynamic. Regardless, the Protector of Fire is still a good set though. Colours are really nice. The torso build was intuitive (if not over too quickly) and the shoulder cannon is sweet.

The Hero Pack is nice, really like the poster and stickers. The trans orange mask looks better on PoF than on Tahu in my opinion. Really hope to see more promotional polybags like this in the future (including a new iteration of Good Guy).

Also, since I have a Protector and Toa of the same element with me here, I was able to build Tahu's Power-Up form. Yeah. Pretty boring, not much to say about it. Like the double-ended golden sword cause it reminds me of Tahu Nuva, but other than that... yeah. Not too riveting at all. I guess it's nice that the Protector is still intact after trading the weapons.I'll probably build that Club exclusive combo later, should be more fun. 

Honestly, taking this photo was more fun than the Power-up form:

combof04.jpg

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

It has been directly confirmed that there are only six Protectors. Looking for tiny loopholes in other wording does nothing to change that. Trying to argue against facts of the story that were explicitly provided is as futile as trying to argue that this isn't a reboot.

~B~

• Upvote 4