OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

You know I must say that the saddest part about the reboot is that most of the good artwork/media in general is IMO being made by the fans... 

That is the best part about the reboot. Lego is inspiring creativity and innovation for the least amount of effort possible. Yay for Lego! :P

Congratulations! You are officially the best at making the best out of a bad situation. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

You know I must say that the saddest part about the reboot is that most of the good artwork/media in general is IMO being made by the fans... 

That is the best part about the reboot. Lego is inspiring creativity and innovation for the least amount of effort possible. Yay for Lego! :P

Congratulations! You are officially the best at making the best out of a bad situation. 

Hooray for optimism!!! :D  :happydance:

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

There has been great official stuff.

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hooray for optimism!!! :D  :happydance:

It's such a great thing.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

The thing about the artwork is they have released a lot of jaw-dropping awesome pieces of concept art, I just wish those were better utilized.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Frankly, I think the animations have been amazing from a visual standpoint. We've also gotten multiple awesome maps of Okoto (the one on the website resembles an aerial or satellite photograph, while the one in the Hero Pack looks more like something a cartographer might have drawn by hand), and the official character/packaging art has some of the most diverse and detailed background paintings ever (compare Protector of Fire's character art to Vakama's, or even Tahu's to Tahu's). There are also graphic novels forthcoming, if the current lack of comics is any concern. I don't think 2015 is at all lacking from a visual standpoint.

Now, the fan art scene has also definitely been amazing, as it SHOULD be. And I hope BIONICLE continues to inspire fans not just to draw and build amazing things, but also to explore other kinds of creativity like musical composition and songwriting. But I think we ought to give the official artists credit where credit is due.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Is it me, or does Lewa act like he took a certain substance?

(if you catch my drift)

I assume your "drift" is the implication is that Lewa making a joke means that he uses drugs.

Which I don't particularly understand, because it's clearly a carry-over from the Gen 1 trend of Le-Matoran and Toa of Air being the "free" and "fun" ones.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Hooray for Bonkles.

edit: oh, you guys left the topic of celebrating BIONICLE while I spent two hours procrastinating before finishing writing this post. Sorry.

Pohatu is the hero of Australia :D  :flagaus: (note that I'm not Australian, I'm just showing respect to a country that has produced such an amazing hero)! 

Are you talking about his voice in the new episode? That sounded more like cockney to me.

Sounds like deep Australian to me (although I hear Ausie accents have they're origin in cockney/London), besides it makes more sense that they'd try to give him an Australian accent what with him having boomerangs as weapons. 

That's not an Australian accent. His voice sounds nothing like an actual Australian accent (unless you're deep in bogan-ville), and it's so far off that pretty much well anyone I know would have a hard time trying to match Pohatu's voice, it's that far off.

Honestly, I find it more than a little annoying that LEGO chose an accent (super-annoying when everything to do with Pohatu is Australian stereotyping, except his personality, which is odd) so far off from the truth.

You see, the stereotype is all most people know. If it bothers you that much, you should try and change the stereotype. Every country has a stereotype. What matters is if you have the ability to laugh at yourself or not. XD

No offense, but that's preety bad advice considering we're talking about an entire country where the stereotype hasn't been even close to true for 50+ years. Worse yet, they didn't even go with the "Larrikin" stereotype and instead made Pohatu this super-serious-always-on-task guy.

Edited by Torchbearer

(if you catch my drift)

I assume your "drift" is the implication is that Lewa making a joke means that he uses drugs.

Which I don't particularly understand, because it's clearly a carry-over from the Gen 1 trend of Le-Matoran and Toa of Air being the "free" and "fun" ones

It is the only explanation for them being such good party goers.  :P

Edited by Craig B

(if you catch my drift)

Which I don't particularly understand, because it's clearly a carry-over from the Gen 1 trend of Le-Matoran and Toa of Air being the "free" and "fun" ones.

I mean let's be real here, I'm pretty sure those le-matoran are definitely on some strange substances themselves. Who knows what weird stuff grows out there in the jungle...

• Upvote 4

I love the animation art, and didn't realize that people dislike it. I will admit that I lost interest in the animations, however. I'm just going to wait until they are all out, and watch them all consecutively. Watching 1-and-a-half webisodes out of context every few weeks is frustrating.

The Skull villains will look great in the animations, I think. Can't wait to see their appearances.

IetTsFQ.png

So has anyone else brought up the fact that Onua is disproportionate to his set compared to the movies?

• Upvote 1

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

Onua is the Big Guy. Of course he looks bigger. Looking at his set, his arms and legs actually seem dinky compared to his body (more so his legs), so his set being 'small' (I.e. similarly sized to the others) compared to his animation/actual appearance, where his limbs are thicker and more proportionate and he's taller than the others makes sense to me.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

So has anyone else brought up the fact that Onua is disproportionate to his set compared to the movies?

Yep, and it bothers me greatly. I was so pleased with how the sets handled the characters' heights (especially since Pohatu and Onua have traditionally been the shortest), so to have the animations completely ignore the sets' relative heights and make Onua the tallest of the Toa is a bit of a disappointment. That's probably my biggest gripe with the animations, all things considered.

Yep, and it bothers me greatly. I was so pleased with how the sets handled the characters' heights (especially since Pohatu and Onua have traditionally been the shortest), so to have the animations completely ignore the sets' relative heights and make Onua the tallest of the Toa is a bit of a disappointment. That's probably my biggest gripe with the animations, all things considered.

He kinda looks like the Incredible Hulk of the Toa.

It would be pretty cool if he turned out to lead them for atleast a bit, but knowing LEGO it will probably be Tahu leading them. If they get a leader.

• Upvote 1

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

I just got back from Target.  Was hoping to find some clearance Gali and Onua sets.  Didn't see any of Gali and I only found one Onua, but he was down to $10.  From the clearance stickers it looks like he was originally discounted to $14, but the box was pretty mangled (though not opened!) so they may have decided to lower the price again because of that.

So my trend of "one of every color" is broken since I have both Earth sets now.

I haven't put the chest stickers on yet, and I haven't yet decided if I'm going to.  He looks better with them, but that'd limit the usefulness of his torso.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I mean, is it really that bad though? Dr. Makuta made a good point of him looking like the incredible Hulk of the group, and if anything it makes more sense that he's the biggest since he is advertized as a "sleepy giant" and a large hulking figure. Height only makes this a little more prominent.

• Upvote 2

I mean, is it really that bad though? Dr. Makuta made a good point of him looking like the incredible Hulk of the group, and if anything it makes more sense that he's the biggest since he is advertized as a "sleepy giant" and a large hulking figure. Height only makes this a little more prominent.

To add more onto this, Bionicle Toa have traditionally been clone sets (maybe with some differences), but it's nice to see that the animators are diversifying the cast a bit. It gives them more personality and individuality, even if it's just from their appearance. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I have this thing where I really love the new masks for all of the Toa, but something just makes me also long for alternative, more smooth and simplistic tribal-esque masks like in 2001. I also kind of wish Lewa had a bigger smile and a smoother look to his mask overall. Not to say his current mask isn't good, I really like it. In fact, it's the only mask he's had that's ever looked similar to his original one. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

I have this thing where I really love the new masks for all of the Toa, but something just makes me also long for alternative, more smooth and simplistic tribal-esque masks like in 2001. I also kind of wish Lewa had a bigger smile and a smoother look to his mask overall. Not to say his current isn't good, I really like it.  

I'm undecided between the two groups of masks.  The 2001 masks were nice in their simplicity, but I do like the detailing on the current ones.

Also, I have now experienced Onua's loose mask first-hand.  The wiggling is about the same as Pohatu's, though the connection itself seems a bit looser.  My main issue with the mask is it seems too small.

OpAXNpl.jpg

To add more onto this, Bionicle Toa have traditionally been clone sets (maybe with some differences), but it's nice to see that the animators are diversifying the cast a bit. It gives them more personality and individuality, even if it's just from their appearance. 

The Toa Mahri, Mistika, Phantoka and Barraki would like to have a word with you.

(although yeah, everything from before 2007 were outright clones)

Also, I have now experienced Onua's loose mask first-hand.  The wiggling is about the same as Pohatu's, though the connection itself seems a bit looser.  My main issue with the mask is it seems too small.

I have found that Pohatu's mask is the most loose of all of the masks in this current wave. The best hold that any of the masks get comes from the Skull Spider masks, which contour directly to the new headpiece with little to no wiggling. If only they made all of the Toa masks like that?  B-)

(maybe there's a chance that such a thing will happen for the summer wave, if not the next batch of Toa)

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Between '01 Kanohi and '15, '15 wins hands down for me. While I always liked the '01 Kanohi (especially the Hau, Kaukau and Kakama), my favorites were always the '04 and '08 Kanohi (don't shoot me). The only ones from '01 I prefer over '15 are the Pakari due to its size (it looks oddly tiny on such a massive Onua imo) and the Hau because nostalgia and iconic-ness (though the '15 Hau has severely grown on me).

The problem with this is that the Toa's heights are actually MORE diverse in the sets than they are in the animations, which is another part of my frustration with the animators messing around with the characters' heights. In the sets, Pohatu and Onua are shorter than average, Gali and Lewa are average in height, and Kopaka and Tahu are taller than average. But in the animations, as far as I can tell, Onua is the only Toa whose height is obviously different than the rest.

I understand that making him huge can fit his characterization (though honestly, I think a shorter stature like the set has would make sense for a tunnel-dweller). But it still feels like one of the set's most appealing characteristics for me is being completely reversed, and it's hard not to be bothered by that.

• Upvote 1

The problem with this is that the Toa's heights are actually MORE diverse in the sets than they are in the animations, which is another part of my frustration with the animators messing around with the characters' heights. In the sets, Pohatu and Onua are shorter than average, Gali and Lewa are average in height, and Kopaka and Tahu are taller than average. But in the animations, as far as I can tell, Onua is the only Toa whose height is obviously different than the rest.

I understand that making him huge can fit his characterization (though honestly, I think a shorter stature like the set has would make sense for a tunnel-dweller). But it still feels like one of the set's most appealing characteristics for me is being completely reversed, and it's hard not to be bothered by that.

Well, I guess I see what you mean. It personally doesn't bother me much but it's understandable with the height thing. To me though, the toa are diverse enough to the effect it's not such a big deal, plus it's not that huge of a change in my mind.

It's also worth taking into consideration though that Bionicle sets are rarely into scale with each other, so the height Onua is portrayed with in the animations could be the height/size originally intended for him.

• Upvote 1

Well, I guess I see what you mean. It personally doesn't bother me much but it's understandable with the height thing. To me though, the toa are diverse enough to the effect it's not such a big deal, plus it's not that huge of a change in my mind.

It's also worth taking into consideration though that Bionicle sets are rarely into scale with each other, so the height Onua is portrayed with in the animations could be the height/size originally intended for him.

The vast majority of instances where sets aren't in scale with one another are ones where they're many years removed from one another, and set design has evolved to be based on a different standard that includes a slightly different scale (or instances where Greg wasn't happy with the sets and took advantage of his role as the primary arbiter of canon to change things to his liking). Sets are only rarely based on finalized story concepts that are adapted into plastic—rather, the story material is based on the sets themselves, with the sets typically being the definitive versions of the characters for all intents and purposes.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can't say I'm a fan of it, mostly because it leaves Onua overpowered in comparison to the other Toa. I mean, the guy can pick up two Toa with his bare hands. That does no good for team balance.

I can't say I'm a fan of it, mostly because it leaves Onua overpowered in comparison to the other Toa. I mean, the guy can pick up two Toa with his bare hands. That does no good for team balance.

I have no problem with that physical strength. It's typical of Onua and balanced by the fact that other Toa are faster or can attack with more range or finesse. I do think that he doesn't need to be taller than the other Toa to look strong, and conversely, that Toa like Tahu and Kopaka don't need to be made shorter in the interest of "balance".

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I have no problem with that physical strength. It's typical of Onua and balanced by the fact that other Toa are faster or can attack with more range or finesse. I do think that he doesn't need to be taller than the other Toa to look strong, and conversely, that Toa like Tahu and Kopaka don't need to be made shorter in the interest of "balance".

I'm not complaining about it. If anything I would have liked it if set Onua was that size.

I'm not complaining about it. If anything I would have liked it if set Onua was that size.

I would've preferred it if Onua was the correct size in the animations.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Speaking of Enya, I actually really like the set now that I've had a chance to play around with it a bit.  I like the big adjustable shoulder armor (much like I did with the Green Lantern constraction set) because it allows for a good range of arm poses while still providing good coverage.  I'm not big on the adrenalin mode, though.  The wide shoulders give him a good profile but they spread the "shovels" apart too much for my tastes; it looks like he'd be digging two separate holes because his arms can't meet up in front of him.  The hammer looks fine anyway.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I would've preferred it if Onua was the correct size in the animations.

But then he couldn't "grab attention."

• Upvote 3

I think that since the animations are super cartoon like, it's okay for onua to be dramatically bigger. If the animation was more realistic, like in the movies, then I could see it bothering me. As long as the animation is super cartoony, it doesn't bother me. If they do a movie for it an animate it like the others, I imagine his size would reflect the size of his set more closely.

Also, has anyone seen episode 8 and 9 on YouTube? They're in Spanish but they're subtitled. You can tell the subtitles are a little off but the videos are pretty awesome and offer more insight with the skull villains.

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o: