OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

For those of you who say that you don't like Gali's masculine voice, in Gen1 the only difference between male and female Matoran was psychological, not physical. Maybe this is going to carry over into Gen2? 

The new Bionicle theme IS likely to continue to innovate and add new parts to the CCBS as the years go on. But the core system of shells and beams isn't going anywhere.

No, it's not any sort of "transition year", and I don't know where you got that impression. Lego set designers on other sites have made it perfectly clear that the CCBS is here to stay. It was never designed solely as "the Hero Factory system", but rather as an expandable and modular system that could be used for all Constraction themes going forward.

Alright, that's chill. I'm fine with CCBS. 

Anyone else wishing a Toa of Swag would show up in the new story?

You mean Pohatu? Oh, he's already here. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

CCBS is no doubt here to stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2016 brought a more Technic-integrated implementation. Take the new weapons, for example. They've each got multiple Technic connection points, unlike most of the Hero Factory weapons that I've seen. And of course, there's the gear-functions.

Well, the main reason for having so many Technic connections on the new weapons is that each one performs two or more different functions on the same set, whereas most Hero Factory parts did not (even the ones that were used in different ways in different sets). You couldn't snap the blade pieces from Tahu and Kopaka to their feet if they didn't have at least two pin holes each, after all. And if the axe pieces from Gali and Lewa only had two pin holes instead of four, they could only attach to Gali's feet OR Lewa's arms, not both.

I think one reason CCBS shells have 3.2mm circular holes instead of cross axle holes is structural integrity. They're only half a beam thick, and more negative space means less positive space holding them together. With the rough action play these sets are expected to endure, it might be easy for shells to snap if something were connected to them via a load-bearing cross axle hole only half a beam thick.

Aesthetics might be another factor. After all, even many 2006–2009 BIONICLE parts had plenty of parts with 3.2mm circular holes, and those sets didn't use that type of connection anywhere near as extensively as the CCBS does.

With that said, I don't find that to be a huge limitation most of the time.

• Upvote 2

Where can I find the 2015 comics?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

There are no 2015 comics.

The ones that come at the back of the boxes. I found them at one point online but then I can't seem to find them now.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

There are no 2015 comics.

There are the ten-panel, dialogue-free comics from the instruction booklets. Those are all available from the Toa's character pages — just scroll down to the link that says "Comic". Example.

Bonus: by changing "landscape" to "portrait" in the URL for the comics, you can change the layout from how it appears in the Protectors' instruction booklets to how it appears in the Toa's instruction booklets. Nice that they uploaded both of those in high quality, since the color quality for the online instruction booklets themselves is often substandard.

• Upvote 4

Well, the main reason for having so many Technic connections on the new weapons is that each one performs two or more different functions on the same set, whereas most Hero Factory parts did not (even the ones that were used in different ways in different sets). You couldn't snap the blade pieces from Tahu and Kopaka to their feet if they didn't have at least two pin holes each, after all. And if the axe pieces from Gali and Lewa only had two pin holes instead of four, they could only attach to Gali's feet OR Lewa's arms, not both.

Fair point, though the fact that LEGO is willing to incorporate these functions suggests to me an inclination towards greater Technic-implementation.

I think one reason CCBS shells have 3.2mm circular holes instead of cross axle holes is structural integrity. They're only half a beam thick, and more negative space means less positive space holding them together. With the rough action play these sets are expected to endure, it might be easy for shells to snap if something were connected to them via a load-bearing cross axle hole only half a beam thick.

No doubt the shells would have to be thicker to support Technic connection-points, but only slightly, surely?

I'm not a part-architect, so I don't know the exact details, and I can see why using c.2mm circular holes is the easiest option, but nonetheless, the limitation remains.

Aesthetics might be another factor. After all, even many 2006–2009 BIONICLE parts had plenty of parts with 3.2mm circular holes, and those sets didn't use that type of connection anywhere near as extensively as the CCBS does.

I suppose it's possible, but I don't see how using Technic holes puts that big a dent in appearances.

Could you be more specific?

With that said, I don't find that to be a huge limitation most of the time.

Your mileage may vary. It's not that I find the perceived limitations insurmountable, but I think that far more contrivances are required than necessary. Especially given the lack of certain Technic elements in most Hero Factory sets (though products like Jet Rocka and the IFB vehicles look to make steps  towards remedying that.)

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I suppose it's possible, but I don't see how using Technic holes puts that big a dent in appearances.

Could you be more specific?

I was referring to parts like the Piraka shin beam and thigh shell, the Toa Inika thigh and shoulder shells, the Carapar torso and thigh shells, the Takadox thigh shell, etc. All of those parts include holes the same size as the ones on CCBS shells.

Obviously I don't know EXACTLY what was going through the minds of the designers when they put small circular holes in these parts instead of cross axle holes, but I'd guess that aesthetics was a big factor, especially since many of these holes were on small or curved surfaces where a cross axle hole might have taken up much more space. So it might have also been a similar aesthetic factor that led the designers to use circular holes instead of cross axle holes on CCBS shells.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I don't think that's Gali's actual voice, lmfao. Just a placeholder.

She clearly says, "I am Gali"...

Pohatu's voice isn't as ground-breaking as that guy said...

Good. I'm glad she has a 'male'-esque voice. Not all girls sound feminine. 

But she's supposed to be a girl, so it should make sense they could use a girl's voice. It's the same reason you shouldn't cast a white person to play a black person in a movie.

Woah woah! Ive seen plenty of these instances happen in movies and the actors always do amazing jobs. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) in Avengers and Electro (Jamie Foxx)  from The Amazing Spiderman 2. And coming soon the Human Torch / Johnny Storm (Michael B. Jordan) in Fantastic Four! Your comparison isnt even close to what has actually happened in these short Bionicle clips. Its simply the narrator talking for them.

I dont know why many people are surprised at the narrator talking for the Toa, as it was said in the NYCC Bionicle Panel that this would be the case. I remember hearing this when I was there and I remember reading a discussion in Eurobricks about it. I'm sure BZP was able to record it and upload it to their YouTube channel. 

I don't think that's Gali's actual voice, lmfao. Just a placeholder.

She clearly says, "I am Gali"...

Pohatu's voice isn't as ground-breaking as that guy said...

Good. I'm glad she has a 'male'-esque voice. Not all girls sound feminine.

But she's supposed to be a girl, so it should make sense they could use a girl's voice. It's the same reason you shouldn't cast a white person to play a black person in a movie.

Woah woah! Ive seen plenty of these instances happen in movies and the actors always do amazing jobs. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) in Avengers and Electro (Jamie Foxx)  from The Amazing Spiderman 2. And coming soon the Human Torch / Johnny Storm (Michael B. Jordan) in Fantastic Four! Your comparison isnt even close to what has actually happened in these short Bionicle clips. Its simply the narrator talking for them.

I dont know why many people are surprised at the narrator talking for the Toa, as it was said in the NYCC Bionicle Panel that this would be the case. I remember hearing this when I was there and I remember reading a discussion in Eurobricks about it. I'm sure BZP was able to record it and upload it to their YouTube channel. 

I think they were specifically referring to things like blackface—making a white person LOOK like a black person crosses the line from reimagining to pastiche.

Although arguably that's another argument in FAVOR of the less-involved male voice for Gali. I imagine that if the narrator had tried a more feminine voice we'd be seeing a whole different kind of criticism: that the voice was too waifish, or too high pitched, or too queer, or that the voice was imitating a negative stereotype of women, or just that the voice actor was trying too hard—and even with all those criticisms you'd probably still have the same voices saying it sounds like a man. From my own experience as a male reading stories aloud, a less affected voice for female characters is usually a good move if you don't want to give the wrong impression.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

No. Just, no.

No swag Toa please.

Rock, if the difference is only mental, we would not see baby villagers. Unless protectors reproduce by budding.

Maybe they come from spores? Or seeds?

It would be really cool if there was a gigantic tree in the center of the island that dropped seedpods that had baby villagers inside of them. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

That baby protector is so cute! I love the animations in general!

My only complaints would be the voices which feel a little off. It would be fine, but this is really the only story source we have right now and as far as we can see all we will get other than this is the books. I feel that using one narrator for all the characters in this particular case is a weaker point, but it's not the end of the world.

They also feel a little rushed. I would rather get longer videos that take their time and stretch the story on farther. I understand it, I mean the sets already come with the golden masks and it makes sense to make them get them as soon as possible in the media, but I'm not a fan of it.

My favorite parts for sure though are Tahu casually beating up the Skull Spiders, and Kopaka going, "I didn't slip...". I lol'd at those! I'm glad to see they have nice comedy in them but still don't lose sight of the important key parts of it, like destiny and their battle against evil. I'm interested in seeing where the story goes from here. Can't wait for the novels!

It almost makes me wanna build a MOC that is covered in Vahi's.

That's gonna require a lot of visits to ebay. 

About $20 worth of purchases. 

Time to start buying your Bionicles. :P

BECAUSE YOU CAN BUY THEM ON WALMART!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Bionicle-Kopaka-C-Master-of-Ice/40996351

FFFFFF--Nah. Already unleashed my feelings about not being to use a credit card atm earlier today.

Political content removed. -B6

How do the villagers tell each other apart?

Maybe there's slight variation in the body proportions that we haven't noticed? like that villager has longer arms, that one has ultraviolet squiggles, the other has poor posture etc? :3

I mean, if you had a pile of people in RL that you knew each wearing the same Mask you would probably pick up on other things ... but the villagers don't seem to have most of those things by a long shot...

Maybe they just have a strong focus on the jaw and eyes & rely on that to distinguish one another?

Edited by Iblis
  • Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Some may consider this nitpicking, but I just have to ask...

How do the villagers tell each other apart?

They probably can see small and unique features in each other that we can't see in this animation style. It's also instinct, I mean there's a reason why animals can tell each other apart even though they all look the same to us. When looking at people from a general standpoint, many don't look a whole lot different from each other, but since we ourselves are humans we can look at each other and see much more and focus on much smaller details which help define a person's appearance to us. I imagine it's the same general thing going on for the protectors even if they are wearing masks. If the animator's wanted to put extra unique details in the animations, I would imagine that protector masks might have their own patterns and designs on the surfaces that help them stand out from each other.

• Upvote 3

I just realized I did accidental foreshadowing. I had this on one of my accidental BFTGM entries:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128941361@N03/15721473068/in/set-72157649113753439

WHOA!!! IT'S A VAHI SHAPE IN YOUR BFTGM ENTRY???

THE VAHI TRULY IS EVERYWHERE! IT EXISTS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE BIONICLE TIMELINE, APPEARING EVEN IN FAN MOCS!!!

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Maybe there's slight variation in the body proportions that we haven't noticed? like that villager has longer arms, that one has ultraviolet squiggles, the other has poor posture etc? :3

I mean, if you had a pile of people in RL that you knew each wearing the same Mask you would probably pick up on other things ... but the villagers don't seem to have most of those things by a long shot...

Maybe they just have a strong focus on the jaw and eyes & rely on that to distinguish one another?

Perhaps their species has a very acute sense of smell?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Perhaps their species has a very acute sense of smell?

Sure why not ;)

In seriousness though, I'll pretend that it's just them being more attentive to details we are 'glossing over'.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I just realized I did accidental foreshadowing. I had this on one of my accidental BFTGM entries:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128941361@N03/15721473068/in/set-72157649113753439

Hey, when you said you had hidden foreshadowing, I thought you were referring to the fact that the orange parts on the top of your model were in the shape of the Vahi... but then I realized that you were talking about the ACTUAL VAHI PIECE YOU PUT ON THERE.

Wait...

A Vahi that is part of a large orange shape that RESEMBLES ANOTHER VAHI?!?!

It's a Vahi paradox!!! :o  :bigeek:  :blink:  :dazed: :vahi:

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

WHOA!!! IT'S A VAHI SHAPE IN YOUR BFTGM ENTRY???

THE VAHI TRULY IS EVERYWHERE! IT EXISTS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE BIONICLE TIMELINE, APPEARING EVEN IN FAN MOCS!!!

Yeah, I just put it there cause I wanted a little orange armor. Turns out I inadvertently referenced future events.

Hey, when you said you had hidden foreshadowing, I thought you were referring to the fact that the orange parts on the top of your model were in the shape of the Vahi... but then I realized that you were talking about the ACTUAL VAHI PIECE YOU PUT ON THERE.

Wait...

A Vahi that is part of a large orange shape that RESEMBLES ANOTHER VAHI?!?!

It's a Vahi paradox!!!  :o   :bigeek:   :blink:   :dazed:  :vahi:

LOL! I only now noticed that angle is slightly Vahi-shaped. xD

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Better hurry up on buying your Bionicle 2015 sets from Walmart, because Tahu is already sold out online, so we're already out of time :vahi: to get him! :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.