OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I actually like the elbow-less sets, I don't know why, but it just seems like a nice design to me, kind of like chibi-matoran (and they're soooo cuuuute).  :P

I'm more or less indifferent with regard to the lack of elbows. I don't think the sets desperately need elbows, but I don't think elbows would ruin them either. Protector of Ice, at least, is well-proportioned even without them.

In the case of Protector of Fire, I think elbows would help him more than they'd help Protector of Ice. This is because while I couldn't care less about the lack of a joint, Protector of Fire's shoulders are raised, which means his arms really ought to be at least a teensy bit longer. He still looks good without elbows, just not as good as he could, or in as many poses as many of the other Protectors.

Last year when I was doodling CCBS Matoran on LEGO Digital Designer, I willingly omitted elbows. This is because I felt that a 5M beam and 4M shell would offer a better building experience than just a pair of 3M beams. Of course, that model was considerably shorter than the Protectors (I tried to get it as close to the height of 2003 Matoran as I could), so giving it 5M upper arms AND elbows was never really an option.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Pohatu would be better if he had some kind of shoulder armor, seeing as he is the only one without any. Also, elbows are an absolute must. Trying to pose a set without elbows--or elbows that don't bend-- is a chore.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Pohatu would be better if he had some kind of shoulder armor, seeing as he is the only one without any. Also, elbows are an absolute must. Trying to pose a set without elbows--or elbows that don't bend-- is a chore.

See, that's thinking like a collector, in order to properly judge and enjoy these sets, one must think as a child who cares more about playing than posing. ;)

I'd like to point out that they gave him Tahu-like shoulder armor in the animations. I'd like to see what he looks like with that tweak.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

See, that's thinking like a collector, in order to properly judge and enjoy these sets, one must think as a child who cares more about playing than posing. ;)

Posing is part of playing.  And at some point the kid's probably going to put them down on a nightstand and go to bed, and I know if I were that kid I'd go for the cooled pose I can think of.  Lack of elbows is a bit of an impediment in that regard.  Not horribly terrible but still not the best.

Huh? Pohatu has elbows. They're right. They're on his arms. They're the most flexible elbows there are. I'm. Not really sure what you mean.

We're also talking about Protectors.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Pohatu is missing shoulder armor, not elbows...it's PoF who has no elbows. 

(Personally I dislike the shoulder armor because it gets in the way of posing IMO...)

That's like saying "I dislike suits of armor because I find it hard to run in them". I mean, duh, of course it makes maneuverability/posability harder silly. Armor is for protection, not turning you into a flexible accrobat. A warrior needs armor, not dance lessons. ;)
  • Upvote 1

Armor's primary purpose is to protect you from harm.  A toy's primary purpose is to be played with.

Sure you could probably mold a BIONICLE figure out of kevlar but if it can't move or do as much as the ABS version it's a worse toy.

Also, maneuverability isn't an insignificant part of armor design.  Being able to withstand a few hits is useless if you can't move well enough to fight back, defend yourself, or escape.

In fact there are types of characters who eschew armor altogether in favor of what you call "dance lessons" and focus entirely on being quick and precise.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

Honestly, Pohatu is a desert-wandering loner this time around. The fact that his design is lopsided and light makes much more sense for that environment. Lewa and Gali are also lightly-built and they too live in environments where mobility would be preferred over protection. Let me list them for a second;

• Tahu: Lives in Lava-Land. You want tough armour on your feet and lower legs to prevent the hot rock from burning through to your tasty, fleshy feet. Slightly less armour on the upper body and arms makes sense, as you're not going to be in constant environmental danger that high up your torso.
  • Gali: She's a swimmer, and have you ever seen a swimmer wear something bulky? The most covered professional swimmers wear wetsuits, as do divers. Wetsuits are skin-tight, something well reflected by Gali being a smaller set this year.
  • Lewa: For goodness' sake, he spends most of his time flying. I don't think we've actually seen him walk anywhere in the animations, instead climbing, jumping and sliding. His long arms give him a simian appearance and longer wings.
  • Onua: Big, bulky tunneler. He has large shoulders and chest pieces to represent the massive upper body strength he must have from travelling through solid earth all day. His longer arms give him more reach, and his shorter legs give him a steady platform from which to dig.
  • Pohatu: Lightly armoured because he spends most of his time in a desert environment, where having too much armour would actually kill you faster than the monsters. The other valid clothing option in the desert is long, flowing robes that allow air to circulate, and CCBS can't do fabric.
  • Kopaka: Bundled up against the cold, his huge pauldrons and thick leg armour are built to solve the exact opposite problem to Pohatu's light build. Moving through a strong wind requires more weight, not less, and though I've never been in a blizzard, I think it's safe to assume that has something to do with Kopaka's design.

So, yeah, the Toa are designed very well for their environments.

• Upvote 6

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Honestly, Pohatu is a desert-wandering loner this time around. The fact that his design is lopsided and light makes much more sense for that environment. Lewa and Gali are also lightly-built and they too live in environments where mobility would be preferred over protection. Let me list them for a second;

• Tahu: Lives in Lava-Land. You want tough armour on your feet and lower legs to prevent the hot rock from burning through to your tasty, fleshy feet. Slightly less armour on the upper body and arms makes sense, as you're not going to be in constant environmental danger that high up your torso.
  • Gali: She's a swimmer, and have you ever seen a swimmer wear something bulky? The most covered professional swimmers wear wetsuits, as do divers. Wetsuits are skin-tight, something well reflected by Gali being a smaller set this year.
  • Lewa: For goodness' sake, he spends most of his time flying. I don't think we've actually seen him walk anywhere in the animations, instead climbing, jumping and sliding. His long arms give him a simian appearance and longer wings.
  • Onua: Big, bulky tunneler. He has large shoulders and chest pieces to represent the massive upper body strength he must have from travelling through solid earth all day. His longer arms give him more reach, and his shorter legs give him a steady platform from which to dig.
  • Pohatu: Lightly armoured because he spends most of his time in a desert environment, where having too much armour would actually kill you faster than the monsters. The other valid clothing option in the desert is long, flowing robes that allow air to circulate, and CCBS can't do fabric.
  • Kopaka: Bundled up against the cold, his huge pauldrons and thick leg armour are built to solve the exact opposite problem to Pohatu's light build. Moving through a strong wind requires more weight, not less, and though I've never been in a blizzard, I think it's safe to assume that has something to do with Kopaka's design.

So, yeah, the Toa are designed very well for their environments.

As someone who lives in New England, I can confirm what you said about Kopaka and blizzards. Every Toa has a reason for being designed that way.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I was referring to the pof about the elbows thing. Also poseability is a very important part of play so it is very relevent for both collectors and children. I know as a child I wanted toys i could bend and move because solid hunks of plastic were severely limiting on the imagination of the play experience. I get pohatu is the "desert wanderer guy" But even Lewa has shoulder armor of sorts that breaks up the standard hero build While simultaneously conveying the lightly armored style.

Edited by ToaDraco

"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Well, TD, there's two sides to that. Firstly, neck, shoulders and head is where a lot of heat is bled off as a humanoid. Try putting your hand against the back of your neck, and you'll feel the temp difference. So it might make a lot of sense for Pohatu to leave that area uncovered.

On the other boomerang, that's also the most likely part of your body to get sunburn, which might not apply to our semi-robot friends. Leaving that uncovered may let his neck and shoulders get burned badly on a regular basis.

Personally, I like him as he is. It might be a little sparse, but he's arguably operating in the hottest environment. Between him and Tahu, I think Pohatu is in more danger of heatstroke.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Well, TD, there's two sides to that. Firstly, neck, shoulders and head is where a lot of heat is bled off as a humanoid. Try putting your hand against the back of your neck, and you'll feel the temp difference. So it might make a lot of sense for Pohatu to leave that area uncovered.

On the other boomerang, that's also the most likely part of your body to get sunburn, which might not apply to our semi-robot friends. Leaving that uncovered may let his neck and shoulders get burned badly on a regular basis.

Personally, I like him as he is. It might be a little sparse, but he's arguably operating in the hottest environment. Between him and Tahu, I think Pohatu is in more danger of heatstroke.

Right, especially because it seems that Tahu has natural heat-resistance, either because of his own power, or his mask. In any case, the Region of Stone is a harsh place. Look at this screenshot of episode 3: https://i.imgur.com/BToK7Pz.jpg

See the exhaustion in the PoF's eyes? It's hot, it's tiring, it's everything unpleasant, but then look at Pohatu. Still going strong. If he had any heavier armor, he'd be a lump of metal, melting in the sun.

• Upvote 3

Warning: Meaningless Conjecture Ahead (in other words, a simple hypothesis)

"The mask was the most ornate anyone had ever seen – more than just a Kanohi, it was a true work of art. The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe. The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace."

I don't know about you, but the original description of the Mask of Creation DOES loosely fit the one Ekimu wears. The main inconsistency would be the color.

The mask's original power was to give the user exact directions on how to create something upon envisioning it. Perhaps this is why Ekimu's masks are better? 

Now of course this is all just mindless speculation, but it seems that the new BIONICLE team might have done their research thoroughly on this mask, and that instead of just thinking of "Creation" and "Control" as good concepts they decided to go with, they were actually using the original Bionicle for source material a lot more than we thought. There are some obvious G1 Bionicle fans mixed in the bunch, what with the weird Vahi easter eggs and what-not. I'm just really interested in whatever is coming up, because it seems like the Vahi is going to reveal a major plot twist in the future...

On a side note, anyone notice how with all of the Gold Tahu has on him, he looks like a proper set form of his former Golden Armored STARS set? If they do decide to tie this continuity to the old for whatever reason, it could be that all of the Toa were brought forth from AFTER Makuta was destroyed and Bara Magna was the new home to all in the Matoran Universe. In all reality, the villagers that we see could potentially be Agori, as they seem to age and live biological-like lives through birth and death. "Makuta" and "Ekimu" don't seem to die though (they also have very noticable gears, a build type only common in the Toa), and because of this they could in fact be the last few Matoran left. Although, since this is a LONG time after peace had returned to the land, no one remembers anything about the past, and the words "Matoran" and "Agori" are no longer known to the inhabitants. Instead, Ekimu and Makuta were partially worshiped as deities, for unlike the villagers/Agori, they did not age. This also gives reason for WHY they have giant monolithic statues of themselves in the ancient city. Either they had big egos, or they were revered and worshiped. Maybe a little bit of both.

Remember: This is all meaningless conjecture and you are allowed to be skeptical, I respect your opinion but I would ask of you to respect my thoughts as well as a lot of what I said can't really be proved or disproved until later in the series. The only facts that truly stand out is that the creators are pushing the Vahi pretty hard, The Protectors/Villagers age and pass their titles on through lineage and can make babies like the baby fire villager (although some people won't believe this particular claim unless they get it straight from the mouth of the BIONICLE team, which is fine because being skeptical is a good thing, sometimes), and that Ekimu lives and defies aging unlike the villagers.

Warning: Meaningless Conjecture Ahead (in other words, a simple hypothesis)

"The mask was the most ornate anyone had ever seen – more than just a Kanohi, it was a true work of art. The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe. The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace."

I don't know about you, but the original description of the Mask of Creation DOES loosely fit the one Ekimu wears. The main inconsistency would be the color.

The mask's original power was to give the user exact directions on how to create something upon envisioning it. Perhaps this is why Ekimu's masks are better? 

Now of course this is all just mindless speculation, but it seems that the new BIONICLE team might have done their research thoroughly on this mask, and that instead of just thinking of "Creation" and "Control" as good concepts they decided to go with, they were actually using the original Bionicle for source material a lot more than we thought. There are some obvious G1 Bionicle fans mixed in the bunch, what with the weird Vahi easter eggs and what-not. I'm just really interested in whatever is coming up, because it seems like the Vahi is going to reveal a major plot twist in the future...

On a side note, anyone notice how with all of the Gold Tahu has on him, he looks like a proper set form of his former Golden Armored STARS set? If they do decide to tie this continuity to the old for whatever reason, it could be that all of the Toa were brought forth from AFTER Makuta was destroyed and Bara Magna was the new home to all in the Matoran Universe. In all reality, the villagers that we see could potentially be Agori, as they seem to age and live biological-like lives through birth and death. "Makuta" and "Ekimu" don't seem to die though (they also have very noticable gears, a build type only common in the Toa), and because of this they could in fact be the last few Matoran left. Although, since this is a LONG time after peace had returned to the land, no one remembers anything about the past, and the words "Matoran" and "Agori" are no longer known to the inhabitants. Instead, Ekimu and Makuta were partially worshiped as deities, for unlike the villagers/Agori, they did not age. This also gives reason for WHY they have giant monolithic statues of themselves in the ancient city. Either they had big egos, or they were revered and worshiped. Maybe a little bit of both.

Remember: This is all meaningless conjecture and you are allowed to be skeptical, I respect your opinion but I would ask of you to respect my thoughts as well as a lot of what I said can't really be proved or disproved until later in the series. The only facts that truly stand out is that the creators are pushing the Vahi pretty hard, The Protectors/Villagers age and pass their titles on through lineage and can make babies like the baby fire villager (although some people won't believe this particular claim unless they get it straight from the mouth of the BIONICLE team, which is fine because being skeptical is a good thing, sometimes), and that Ekimu lives and defies aging unlike the villagers.

Continuation theory... *Twitch*

IN all seriousness, this seems a little more plausible than most continuation theories. I was putting together one where the Okoto planet is a member of the Hero Factory system that has regressed back to a pre-industrial age, so when the Protectors sent out a call for help, each of the other planets, who regard them as long-lost siblings, sent one hero, specially built to cope in Okoto's environments. The Mask Makers were one of the few  Okotoans who remembered how to use the Hero Factory technology, and so used it to make masks that the Protectors used to defend themselves, and six emergency masks meant to work with the Hero Robots in case of some apocalypse.

Yeah, I know nothing about Hero Factory.

So I just got Lewa and I love him. He was always my second favorite Toa, Onua being the first, and the same holds true for gen2. His mask is easily my favorite though, I love the scale armor look. It's unfortunate his head can't turn very well but the position of his gearbox looks too good to change and I really dig how the kaiju claws look on his shoulders, reminiscent of a puffy collar or a python wrapped around his shoulders. I really like the axe blades and although the sword pieces have been used for a few years, I'm always happy to get more. They are such great pieces. I'm still quite impressed with the chest prints. They manage to simultaneously look tribal and high tech --not an easy feat. Of course, I would have preferred lime or trans apple green instead of keetorange but it still looks nice and works well since he is now basically a Toa of the Green.

Edited by ToaDraco

See, I think they're not going to do that this time around. Why would they? There's no story significance like there used to be. The Toa aren't searching for masks with more different powers, just more powerful ones... and they've already found them, so...

Also, the masks in 2001 weren't elemental. It made sense that each Toa would want x-ray vision, shielding, water-breathing, levitation, speed, and strength all at their command. It's different now, because why would Onua want control over wind and plant-life (using the example of the Jungle Mask in black)? That's Lewa's element, and Onua's element is Earth.

If that's not enough, look at the villagers. They're all wearing solid-color versions of the Protectors' masks, so it doesn't make sense that the masks would belong to villagers, either. As cool as it may be, there's really no reason why LEGO would do it. Also, frankly, I don't want to have to buy blind-bags to hopefully be able to complete my collection of Gen2. I'm aiming for 100% completion (including Comic-Con Mask, excluding golden trophy masks), and blind bags would be expensive, and infuriating if I ended up with duplicates. Plus, where would they go? There are no suvas in gen2.

See, I think they're not going to do that this time around. Why would they? There's no story significance like there used to be. The Toa aren't searching for masks with more different powers, just more powerful ones... and they've already found them, so...

Also, the masks in 2001 weren't elemental. It made sense that each Toa would want x-ray vision, shielding, water-breathing, levitation, speed, and strength all at their command. It's different now, because why would Onua want control over wind and plant-life (using the example of the Jungle Mask in black)? That's Lewa's element, and Onua's element is Earth.

Why wouldn't they want control over more than one element if they could have it?

It's more to do with the fact that collecting lots of masks was abandoned as far back as the start of the Metru Nui years.

The sets inform the story, not the other way around.  It isn't that there's no (current) black Jungle Mask because there's no story justification, but that there's no story justification because there's no set version.  The collectible masks went out of fashion long ago, so the idea of "many masks to collect" dropped from the story as well.  This is especially obvious since each Toa includes a golden mask this year, while back in 2001 the golden masks were "special" things to find in the collectible packs.

OpAXNpl.jpg

The golden masks were in 2002, with the Krana packs, not in 2001. The Krana pack, if I remember correctly, had 2 Krana, a silver kanohi, and a gold kanohi. But I totally understand what you mean there, but what I'm saying is that the story was engineered without the idea of collectible masks, so introducing them and adding them to the story would be, frankly, very odd. Also, I feel that those masks were designed to be in Gold and their respective colors, so they'd look rather garish if they were recolored.

• Upvote 1

The sets inform the story, not the other way around.  It isn't that there's no (current) black Jungle Mask because there's no story justification, but that there's no story justification because there's no set version.  The collectible masks went out of fashion long ago, so the idea of "many masks to collect" dropped from the story as well.  This is especially obvious since each Toa includes a golden mask this year, while back in 2001 the golden masks were "special" things to find in the collectible packs.

Well, the golden masks weren't really "special things to collect", at least not moreso than regular masks. The first series of mask packs did not include any gold masks as far as I'm aware, while the second series ALWAYS included either gold or silver masks. So it's not like they were rare items to be sought out—if anything, they were more common than other colors of Toa Masks due to one out of twelve designs appearing in every set rather than one out of thirty-six.

EDIT: Ninja'd! Well, to reply to Cwog's post, I would certainly disagree with the new masks looking bad in other colors. Maybe they'd be a bit less versatile, due to having more distinct personalities implied by their features, and they would certainly be hard to explain in-story, due to the masks representing the elements themselves rather than non-elemental powers. But I wouldn't consider things like a Black Gali mask or a Bright Green Tahu mask to look "garish" by any means.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Then I was mistaken.  I only got a couple of Kanohi/Krana packs back then and I didn't get any gold or silver masks so that's what I was basing it off of.  (Looked it up and it seems that only gold/silver masks were included with the Krana, so there's that.)  I thought it was just the Protodermic Kanohi Nuva that were the ones guaranteed once per pack for the Krana-Kal packs.  I was like eight at the time, not exactly concerned with getting good sample sizes. :P

My point was that the story isn't what's stopping it from happening, it's the market research.  The story can be changed as needed to fit the sets it's trying to sell.  All sorts of things like that happened in the Gen1 story, most often with regards to whatever form the current wave of Toa would be taking.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Well you are right in that the story would reflect(mostly) what is intended to be for sale as a set. Not really the other way around. Based on that fact that Lego is a toy brand, not a book brand. So I suppose if there are ways to implement seeing or having the gen2 masks in the alternate colors I am sure some form of story could be developed for it. Since it was brought up I think I will be right back with something...

EDIT:

The golden masks were in 2002, with the Krana packs, not in 2001. The Krana pack, if I remember correctly, had 2 Krana, a silver kanohi, and a gold kanohi. But I totally understand what you mean there, but what I'm saying is that the story was engineered without the idea of collectible masks, so introducing them and adding them to the story would be, frankly, very odd. Also, I feel that those masks were designed to be in Gold and their respective colors, so they'd look rather garish if they were recolored.

Well here is a quick test shot I did with all the masks... what do you think?
2015%20Masks.png

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

could be a little bit of both. This was just a quick project I did real fast in GIMP and using a colorize tint tool. It was not meant to be a perfect rendition of what they would look like. More just a rough draft to give an idea. As you can tell the colors don't exactly match their original version. Unlike actual released versions that more than likely would be exact color matches.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I think the main issue with those is the source material.  All of the original mask images have a shadow dropped behind them, which turns into a weird colored glow when colorized.  Combine that with the fact that some of them aren't colorization-friendly (like turning the colors to white, and turning the black to colors) and they come out looking odd.

OpAXNpl.jpg

2015%20Masks.png

Hmm... This does look intriguing, but, for the reasons already stated, TLC will probably not do this. Some enterprising individual with a 3D printer might make a bit of extra cash, however, since the MoCing crowd would almost certainly like these.

• Upvote 1

2015%20Masks.png

Hmm... This does look intriguing, but, for the reasons already stated, TLC will probably not do this. Some enterprising individual with a 3D printer might make a bit of extra cash, however, since the MoCing crowd would almost certainly like these.

Being a MoC'er myself, I can say that for one that I would enjoy just getting these if this were all lego would give us, but would like to have more protector mask base and trans color combinations.

Also, you seemed to use an odd shade of each color, which is why the masks look so (as Cwog put it) garish.

I say the more masks the better! It's what Bionicle is based on, after all. The core mechanic of the franchise, if you will.

I agree 100% with this.

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I say the more masks the better! It's what Bionicle is based on, after all. The core mechanic of the franchise, if you will.

Um... No. Bionicle is based on elemental robots fighting darkness on tropical islands. Masks are just the mcguffins they fight over. Adding more light-weapons to Star Wars just makes the entire fanbase start smelling of Special Snowflake Syndrome. I'm glad G2 is deemphasizing the masks in this story.

• Upvote 1

It's not like they can't sell the masks in small predetermined packs containing six masks in a specific color. That way it wouldn't be random and everyone would be happy. ;)

...except then you have to buy six masks even if you only want one of the six.

As much as I miss having a large amount of masks in a large amount of colors, if TLG could have found a profitable way of doing so, they would have by now. Mask packs flopped. That's a simple fact. The fact that they've never tried any other method of getting more colors of mask out suggests to me they have yet to find a way to distribute masks that isn't including them with a figure.

You don' understand. I really don't care what profits for them and what doesn't. I don't have stock in them. I'm speaking solely as a consumer. I like masks, I'd like more masks. I won't get them? That's fine, but it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have my own opinion and still like the idea of it. At no point was anyone predicting LEGO releasing mask packs, we were all just daydreaming. :P

Anyway, I noticed that the "Mask of Creation" commercial says that the mask is being used to unleash an army of skull spiders. The mask of skull spiders can only control them. Could it be that Ekimu's mask is being used to create the vast army of Skull Spiders? Of that's the case then we now have a small glimpse at the motive behind Skull Grinder's attempt on the box art to keep the mask from Ekimu.

• Upvote 1

You don' understand. I really don't care what profits for them and what doesn't. I don't have stock in them. I'm speaking solely as a consumer. I like masks, I'd like more masks. I won't get them? That's fine, but it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have my own opinion and still like the idea of it. At no point was anyone predicting LEGO releasing mask packs, we were all just daydreaming. :P

The way you worded it seemed to imply you thought it was a sound business practice for LEGO. Apologies for assuming that was what you meant.

• Upvote 2

The way you worded it seemed to imply you thought it was a sound business practice for LEGO. Apologies for assuming that was what you meant.

I apologize for sounding condescending, both times. I also should have elaborated on what I meant the first time. Basically what I meant to say was that the ideal mask pack for consumers would be something that wasn't a blind purchase and was worth their price point. However, mask packs would be a niche product within a niche theme (since the only people who would be guaranteed to buy them would be MOCists). From a business standpoint it would in fact be counter productive towards sales unless they had somehow engineered some sort of master marketing to entice children to want to collect and trade masks, but I'm not sure Bionicle is the type of theme that could ever be that popular within mainstream audiences.