OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Yeah.  I don't usually keep track of individual prices to compare, but for example TRU sells the $40 Nerf Pyragon for $50, among other things.

For the past couple years, though, TRU stores have had a price match guarantee, meaning that they will match many of their competitors' prices, including LEGO.com. There are some exceptions, of course — for instance, they will not match the price on a competitor's website if the product is out of stock on that website, which means buying older sets at TRU can be a bit of a gamble. But in most cases this makes the "TRU markup" on LEGO products relatively meaningless.

Well that's good at least.  Wish that was just reflected in the base prices though.

… not to mention things that become "Toys R Us Exclusives" then double in price. :T [slips away to grump about Nerf pricing some more]

OpAXNpl.jpg

Went on an expedition searching for the new sets this morning. Went to three different targets (using the brickseek inventory tracker) and also a toys r us. None of the stores had the new sets besides one target, and they just had a bunch of Skull scorpios. I'm just gonna wait a week until they're out everywhere, had enough driving for now.

Went on an expedition searching for the new sets this morning. Went to three different targets (using the brickseek inventory tracker) and also a toys r us. None of the stores had the new sets besides one target, and they just had a bunch of Skull scorpios. I'm just gonna wait a week until they're out everywhere, had enough driving for now.

I WAS RIGHT! HAHAHAHAHA!

Local TRU had nothing, inventory checker said all my Targets had the sets but each store refused to actually put them on shelves yet. Unless I get confirmation of any, I might just wait until the 1st and visit my local Lego store. The $5 discount will be nice.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I found some sets at a local Toys R Us in Layton, UT. I actually was looking on my phone at the sets and saw that the in store pick up option was green so I clicked it and it told me that they were available in store. They had Grinder and Warrior both available. It might worth checking the site again to check if they're available instead of driving all the way over. The site won't let me check if skull basher or scorpio are available though.

I found some sets at a local Toys R Us in Layton, UT. I actually was looking on my phone at the sets and saw that the in store pick up option was green so I clicked it and it told me that they were available in store. They had Grinder and Warrior both available. It might worth checking the site again to check if they're available instead of driving all the way over. The site won't let me check if skull basher or scorpio are available though.

Dang, really? I live in Salt Lake so hopefully I'll find them.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Tomorrow I am calling my local Targets with hopes of stopping by to get three Skull Villain sets. Slicer, Basher, and Warrior. I know I'm getting MM/SG for my birthday. I will call to make sure I can actually buy them.

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

My memory's foggy, but was it confirmed that we won't be getting any more characters from G1? If that's the case then we won't be getting any Bohrok or Rahkshi?

Maybe we will, but they'll be more than likely just analogues. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My memory's foggy, but was it confirmed that we won't be getting any more characters from G1? If that's the case then we won't be getting any Bohrok or Rahkshi?

We were told at NYCC last year that "there are no plans to bring back any more characters [besides the Toa and Makuta] from the classic theme". Which is about as close to "no" as we're likely to get—they'd be crazy to absolutely rule out the possibility. Considering the way Lego themes are planned and developed, "no plans" as of last fall probably means no chance of seeing further legacy characters through 2016, and possibly 2017 as well.

As you say, though, analogues or tributes to classic figures aren't an impossibility. The Skull Spiders, after all, fill a role much like the Krana, Kraata, and infected masks in the original theme (not to mention the Visorak). The role of the Protectors is quite similar to the Turaga (minus their role as former Toa), while Ekimu's role is somewhat akin to Artakha or Mata Nui (though substantially different, thanks to not being a giant robot and having a direct, equal, and familial relationship with Makuta). The characters may be different, but that doesn't prevent them from taking inspiration from elements of the classic story.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

We were told at NYCC last year that "there are no plans to bring back any more characters [besides the Toa and Makuta] from the classic theme". Which is about as close to "no" as we're likely to get—they'd be crazy to absolutely rule out the possibility. Considering the way Lego themes are planned and developed, "no plans" as of last fall probably means no chance of seeing further legacy characters through 2016, and possibly 2017 as well.

As you say, though, analogues or tributes to classic figures aren't an impossibility. The Skull Spiders, after all, fill a role much like the Krana, Kraata, and infected masks in the original theme (not to mention the Visorak). The role of the Protectors is quite similar to the Turaga (minus their role as former Toa), while Ekimu's role is somewhat akin to Artakha or Mata Nui (though substantially different, thanks to not being a giant robot and having a direct, equal, and familial relationship with Makuta). The characters may be different, but that doesn't prevent them from taking inspiration from elements of the classic story.

I definitely agree with this. For example, I doubt we'll be getting a new version of Takanuva, and don't particularly want one — I think it'd be hard to keep his story from being too predictable while still staying true to his identity, since he's a character who's defined more by the way his character changes as he learns to be a hero than by some single defining character trait. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of a different seventh Toa or even a Toa of Light in the future!

• Upvote 3

I definitely agree with this. For example, I doubt we'll be getting a new version of Takanuva, and don't particularly want one — I think it'd be hard to keep his story from being too predictable while still staying true to his identity, since he's a character who's defined more by the way his character changes as he learns to be a hero than by some single defining character trait. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of a different seventh Toa or even a Toa of Light in the future!

Yeah, Takanuva is the poster child of G1. He was there with us, right from the beginning, as Takua, and he was there at the end, as Takanuva. If he made G1, G2 should have new faces attached to it. I don't quite see Bingzak filling the role he did, but it's a start.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Yeah, Takanuva is the poster child of G1. He was there with us, right from the beginning, as Takua, and he was there at the end, as Takanuva. If he made G1, G2 should have new faces attached to it. I don't quite see Bingzak filling the role he did, but it's a start.

I don't see Bingzak in that role either—nor would I expect to. Why is it that every time we see a child villager (which, by the way, can be assumed to be prevalent thanks to the existence of actual children in the new story), does everyone latch onto them as "teh new Takua"? I mean geez, y'all.

• Upvote 2

I don't see Bingzak in that role either—nor would I expect to. Why is it that every time we see a child villager (which, by the way, can be assumed to be prevalent thanks to the existence of actual children in the new story), does everyone latch onto them as "teh new Takua"? I mean geez, y'all.

>shrugs<

• Upvote 1

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Eh takanuva was important but he wasn't the 'main' bionicle so I wouldn't be surprised if he's completely ignored. Tahu has always been the mascot of bionicle.

How do I put this... Tahu was the hero were idolized in the beginning. Takua was the "us" of Bionicle. Not necessarily a self-insert, but closer to us because he was small, and thought the Toa were cool.

Honestly with the degree of 2001-03 inspiration new BIONICLE takes, Takua would almost be a forgone conclusion in a lot of ways. It's true that a retread of his arc for the new generation would be totally boring, but why would they do that in the first place? It's a new story, and they're free to take characters in new directions, so just the fact that Takua's arc in the first generation was one of self-discovery culminating in his transformation into a Toa doesn't mean that is how it would have to go again. Self-discovery can take a lot of shapes, maybe he's a villager that wants to be like the Toa but learns to accept his limitations and comes to excel at contributing in his own unique way. Maybe he starts out as a newcomer Toa, but as he isn't part of the original team has to struggle with being accepted as part of their group. Lots of different options.

But I think the real reason we haven't seen a direct Takua analogue as of yet, and the reason why I find it unlikely we will, is that Takua was always super un-toyetic. He's a villager, which means he is small and unremarkable, not something that sticks out to kids or their parents looking for gifts. Back in 2001 LEGO was still kind of flying by the seat of their pants and didn't totally 'get' how to tie storytelling into marketing, so Takua could exist, but today it isn't the same story.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Honestly with the degree of 2001-03 inspiration new BIONICLE takes, Takua would almost be a forgone conclusion in a lot of ways. It's true that a retread of his arc for the new generation would be totally boring, but why would they do that in the first place? It's a new story, and they're free to take characters in new directions, so just the fact that Takua's arc in the first generation was one of self-discovery culminating in his transformation into a Toa doesn't mean that is how it would have to go again. Self-discovery can take a lot of shapes, maybe he's a villager that wants to be like the Toa but learns to accept his limitations and comes to excel at contributing in his own unique way. Maybe he starts out as a newcomer Toa, but as he isn't part of the original team has to struggle with being accepted as part of their group. Lots of different options.

But I think the real reason we haven't seen a direct Takua analogue as of yet, and the reason why I find it unlikely we will, is that Takua was always super un-toyetic. He's a villager, which means he is small and unremarkable, not something that sticks out to kids or their parents looking for gifts. Back in 2001 LEGO was still kind of flying by the seat of their pants and didn't totally 'get' how to tie storytelling into marketing, so Takua could exist, but today it isn't the same story.

The other main reason we haven't seen any character like Takua is because we haven't NEEDED one for the media the story has been told through so far. Originally, Takua was totally absent from every part of the story except video games which needed a singular character to act as an vehicle for the player to experience the Bionicle world, unaffiliated with any single Toa or tribe. He literally only appeared in the comics after his transformation into Takanuva.

The books don't NEED a Takua because the third-person omniscient narration allows readers to experience the Toa's adventures without the need for a single character to witness it all. The animations only had time to focus on a single Toa (Tahu) before the Toa grouped up—it'd take even more running time to show the other Toa's mask quests, let alone establish a new, non-set character like Takua and work him into all of the Toa's journeys. The only video game we've even gotten has been a mobile action game that lacks any sort of immersion or worldbuilding.

Takua may have become an important (or at least semi-important) part of the classic storyline, but he was originally introduced for a single role–a silent and customizable cipher character for the Bionicle GBA and mobile games. I'm sure a character like Takua might appear again if new Bionicle media requires a character with a similar role, but it's no surprise that the currently minimal story hasn't featured any such character.

• Upvote 3

I just noticed something about the Toa's masks.  From what I can tell, three of them are molded in such a way that the eye stalk axle is exposed, allowing them to be worn by horned characters such as Skull Basher or Skull Grinder.  These are the Mask of Earth, Mask of Jungle, and Mask of Ice, three of the masks included in the summer villain sets.  The fourth mask included in the villain sets, the Mask of Stone, covers the axles like the Mask of Water and Mask of Fire.

I remember recently someone brought up the idea that Skull Scorpio might have been a late addition to the summer wave, evidenced by lack of notable presence in promotional media.  I think this may add slightly more credence to that idea.  The three Toa masks were designed to be worn by horned characters so they could be included with the summer villains, two of whom have horns, but a fourth $15 set (Skull Scorpio) was added at some point after the designs were finalized, so it included a mask that was not designed for such use (the Mask of Stone).

Seems like it would make sense if it were true, though it's still not much to base any conclusions on.

[conspiracy mode: OFF]

• Upvote 6

OpAXNpl.jpg

I just noticed something about the Toa's masks.  From what I can tell, three of them are molded in such a way that the eye stalk axle is exposed, allowing them to be worn by horned characters such as Skull Basher or Skull Grinder.  These are the Mask of Earth, Mask of Jungle, and Mask of Ice, three of the masks included in the summer villain sets.  The fourth mask included in the villain sets, the Mask of Stone, covers the axles like the Mask of Water and Mask of Fire.

I remember recently someone brought up the idea that Skull Scorpio might have been a late addition to the summer wave, evidenced by lack of notable presence in promotional media.  I think this may add slightly more credence to that idea.  The three Toa masks were designed to be worn by horned characters so they could be included with the summer villains, two of whom have horns, but a fourth $15 set (Skull Scorpio) was added at some point after the designs were finalized, so it included a mask that was not designed for such use (the Mask of Stone).

Seems like it would make sense if it were true, though it's still not much to base any conclusions on.

I noticed Onua's mask could accommodate the horns when I was MoCing earlier this week. I think you may be on to something...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

This explanation falls a little flat to me for two reasons. Firstly, only Skull Grinder and Basher even have horns, which you acknowledged. But secondly, and more importantly, the Mask of Jungle can NOT in fact attach to horned figures—the mask covers up the axle on the head almost completely. Those two factors together make the "evidence" of Skull Scorpio being a late addition vanish into the ether.

Personally, I think the opposite scenario is more likely—that there might have been a sixth set that was cancelled (or, perhaps, never developed beyond the concept stage). On the Inside Tour, during the Bionicle design presentation, I remember one of the concept artworks for the summer wave featuring a winged, flying villain, while none of the final sets had any such features. It's entirely possible that they originally intended to have a villain for every one of the Toa, but sales data only supported a smaller summer wave, requiring that one of the sets be aborted early on.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

I think a more likely explanation for the exposed axles on the Mask of Ice and the Mask of Earth is just the shape of the source material. Both the Akaku and the Pakari were very flat masks, with little backwards swooping at the top compared to the Hau or Kaukau. This flatness was retained in the final masks, resulting in the top of the mask not covering the axles at the sides.

(Granted, since Skull Basher would be wearing the mask, it's possible it's an intentional choice for the Mask of Earth that just happened to align with the natural shape of the mask, but since Skull Warrior is hornless, I don't see any practical reason for it for the Mask of Ice.)

• Upvote 2

I went to my target after using the inventory checker and although I don't know if it was mentioned here, I'll bring this up anyways. Make sure to call ahead and have the DPCI numbers so they can easily look up the sets. When I went they had all of the new Bionicle sets and a lot of the new System sets on a transition pallet, meaning it was already saran wrapped up and waiting to go on shelves so they couldn't get it for me. Supposedly a large shipment had come in from DC that was all in the pallets already. Normally Target is great about looking in the back for you, but it's way easier to just give them a number they can look up on their little retail doohickeys. Some other Targets had the stock out or not in a pallet though, but they were a bit too far to go to, so it's good to check ahead. I was told that it would be within the week before they transition the toy section so I'd guess it would be on the first. I also called my local TRU and after quite a long hold they said didn't have them yet. I could go to another Target though and get them if it were really urgent, but I'm going on vacation soon so I won't have much time to enjoy them before I leave.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Re: Jungle mask, I assumed from the shape that it left the temples open.  I don't actually have one, so I was just going on pictures and memory.  Conspiracy over.

Though I do feel that the lack of horns on other sets isn't itself a problem, because interchangeability is a big part of LEGO and to me it would make sense that all sets in a single wave would have accessories that could be swapped around.  They clearly designed the Mask of Creation to be compatible with Kulta's horns, so I didn't consider it too much of a stretch to imagine that the other masks were designed for a similar purpose.

That and the fact that otherwise the mask shapes seem a bit arbitrary; sure the original Pakari and Akaku weren't as swoopy as other masks, but neither was the Kakama.  I'm actually not as keen on the Mask of Earth as I am the others for this reason, because I think its profile makes it look much smaller than the other masks.

OpAXNpl.jpg

My local Targets would not sell me them. They said it would be at least a week, as they have tons of stuff to unpack from the last few shipments. So I ordered the four smaller sets from ToysRUs with two to five day shipping.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

What if it were pushed into 2016?

You seem to have deleted whatever you meant to quote, but I assume you're talking about a hypothetical sixth Skull Villain. It's certainly POSSIBLE that such a set were postponed a year, but I doubt it. Next year's sets will likely have their own unique aesthetic, overarching theme, and unique set of collectibles. It would certainly be odd (and frankly, unprecedented) for them to try and shoehorn a villain planned for this year into next year's sets. And if they did end up doing so, that figure might be substantially redesigned to fit that year's theme (which, unfortunately, would likely rule out a blended Tahu or Gali mask in such a set).

• Upvote 1

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Dang, Kulta absolutely wrecked the Toa.

Sad to see Onua getting manhandled by Scorpio and Basher, lol.

Edited by Minty Green
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Dang, Kulta absolutely wrecked the Toa.

Sad to see Onua getting manhandled by Scorpio and Basher, lol.

Yeah they got rekt pretty dang hard. I mean he is supposed to be the big bad of this year more or less, so it's not going to be an easy fight for the toa.

I'm also glad to see Scorpio as a horde villain honestly, if only for the personal justification of buying duplicates of him and warrior. I like that they changed up the masks as to not be identical in the animations. These definitely look awesome and way more action packed than the winter animations. Stoked for August!!

Edited by sydorack
  • Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

I also thought Scorpio's video stood out, that stare-down at the end was pretty intense.

Basher's is my favorite though. There's just something so cool about a brute-Minotaur guarding the entrance with thunderclappin' dual-axes. I hope we get some exciting action in the webisodes.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png