OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Sigh... People clamored for names, and we end up with this.

I hope everyone's satisfied. I think I'll just continue to consider their titles as superceding their old names, because I don't think I'll ever get used to these.

So just because people want names it makes them the bad guys in your eyes? Sheesh. I think you should take some time to cool down a little, you seem a bit emotional about this.

I think the names are okay, however I wish they had more unity. Some seem too varied in cultural inspiration. The PoF's seems a bit Japanese. Others seem Mesoamerica and even African.

• Upvote 4

They sound like generic alien names to me.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Sigh... People clamored for names, and we end up with this.

I hope everyone's satisfied. I think I'll just continue to consider their titles as superceding their old names, because I don't think I'll ever get used to these.

So just because people want names it makes them the bad guys in your eyes? Sheesh. I think you should take some time to cool down a little, you seem a bit emotional about this.

I think the names are okay, however I wish they had more unity. Some seem too varied in cultural inspiration. The PoF's seems a bit Japanese. Others seem Mesoamerica and even African.

You're right. After a second read-through, it sits a little bit better with me. I still don't like the names, but the storytelling seems solid enough, so I'll probably get used to them.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think the lack of unity is what's bugging me the most (though frickin' Bingzak isn't helping). These don't sound like names that came from a language. They sound like made-up names. They sound like a kid needed to name some space pirates, so he tossed some syllables together. It's fine if you're a kid making up names, or if they all come from completely separate areas of the universe or something, but Korgot, Vizuna, and Narmoto do not sound like they come from the same island.

Maybe I just need some time to adapt? But for now, I can't say I'm that impressed.

• Upvote 4

They are very odd choices considering how much distance Lego wanted to put between the new line and the cluster that was end of the last line.

Honestly, a lot of people demanded gibberish names and that's what they got. Fortunately, for those who don't like the names, the characters (besides the new islander, Bingzak) still have perfectly serviceable titles that are about as effective for identifying them as names could ever be (and aren't as much of a mouthful as "Makuta of Metru Nui").

I'm not totally pleased with the names, which feel a lot more slapped-together than the other names we've gotten like Ekimu and Kulta, but I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually, and even if I don't, I don't intend to let them stop me from enjoying the story for what it is.

• Upvote 3

Well, a story line with spiders that take over your mind and zombies coming out of the ground would make it pretty dark, in my opinion.

Problem is it's not thematically consistent with the shorts. yes, there are spiders and yes there are zombies, but it's all played off as colourful, goofy fantasy.

Our first introduction to the books is "I'm having trouble coming to terms with my sudden amnesia" and "all my friends are dead".

• Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Nilkuu's use of sand makes wonder how powerful the Protector's are.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Well, a story line with spiders that take over your mind and zombies coming out of the ground would make it pretty dark, in my opinion.

Problem is it's not thematically consistent with the shorts. yes, there are spiders and yes there are zombies, but it's all played off as colourful, goofy fantasy.

Our first introduction to the books is "I'm having trouble coming to terms with my sudden amnesia" and "all my friends are dead".

I find it to be a better alternative to the shorts. The shorts are there for a general look into the world, the books are for a more serious look into it.

Nilkuu's use of sand makes wonder how powerful the Protector's are.

He was using his staff, wasn't he? That seems to be their primary means of defense. If the Protector of Fire's use of his blaster in the animations is anything to go by, their blasters are strong enough to hold off a horde of skull spiders.

I find it to be a better alternative to the shorts. The shorts are there for a general look into the world, the books are for a more serious look into it.

That's definitely a way to look at it. My argument (and my intent is not to doom-say) is simply that it's very reminiscent of the kind of storytelling that killed Bionicle in the first place in more than one uncomfortable way.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Do we know they're dead though? He only said that they lost their masks, we don't really know how that affects the islanders yet.

Hail Denmark

Frankly, the shorts aren't long enough to really examine heavy themes like that. An entire village being destroyed only reinforces the main thrust of what we've heard otherwise—that the Skull Spiders represent an existential threat to Okoto, hence the need for heroes. I hardly think that's making things too dark—and anyway, the dark aspects of the classic story were most problematic due to how sloppily they were handled (with over-the-top villains like the Barraki and Piraka who were so casually violent that they were impossible to take seriously).

• Upvote 3

Just got my SDCC mask in the mail.

I'm marveling in the its green glory.

EDIT: Since I can't double-comment, the Protectors have names:

PoS: Nilkuu

PoJ: Vizuna

PoW: Kivodav (also a Dude)

PoI: Izotor

PoE: Korgot

PoF:Narmoto

Proof.

Well, those names are both unexpected and nothing like what I was expecting. I mean, of all the names I could have come up with for my Protector of Fire, Narmoto is not one of those. But I think it'll grow on me pretty quick, and I'm sure that soon I will have Korgotten what it was like always calling these guys just "the Protectors".

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

My only major disappointment is that they're all male (or at least seemingly so). Seems kind of like a cop-out, honestly. Interesting though, that the books seem to tell a darker tale. I guess I should preorder the one coming out soon, it'd be nice to keep on with my book collection.

EDIT: Protector of Earth appears to be female. Glad that we didn't make the cast all male, wish it wasn't 5:1 with the protectors, but it's nice anyway. I wonder what else we'll find?

Edited by T.B.O.C
  • Upvote 3

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Attention everyone. The Protector of Water's name is Kivoda, not Kivodav. The original post made a typo.

Don't take it to heart, bro.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Just FYI, it seems that signing in to Amazon will unlock randomly selected excerpts from later portions of the book to read. I got the defeat of the Lord of Skull Spiders and the beginning of the upcoming series of episodes, and if the former is any indication the book stays true to the source material.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I like the names, other than Blingzak they all seem fine to me. I don't think they were all specifically referred to as male, because when they were being described some of them were just described by their weaponry, and if we're going for hoping for more genders for characters if anything having the PoW be a guy is good because that means that Water isn't an exclusively female element, so they all might be gender neutral.

E: This isn't to say that I think it's good that they're all male, a female village leader would have been good for a change since almost all fiction has exculsively male tribe leaders, when iirc there are quite a few tribes that are led by matriarchs, I just mean that the fact that Kivoda is a guy means that gender may not be elementally exclusive since Gali is still not a dude.

Edited by steelviper77
  • Upvote 1

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

I like the names.

...some of them, anyway.

But yeah, making the names sound like they come from a single, cohesive language SHOULDN'T be hard.

I mean... what do you guys think I've been doing with the characters in Nova Orbis? ALL of them (just about, anyway) have names that are derivative of Latin, Finnish, and on occasion, good old Maori. As a result, they don't feel like gibberish names from World of Warcraft or whatever. Even if someone isn't at all familiar with the languages these names originated from, the fact that they share a distinct rhythm, a "feel," they're easier to swallow, and yes, memorize, because the more of them you hear, the better a grasp you get on the language, and you pick up on certain elements of that language, like lyrics of a song.

HECK, here are some names I came up with just now! And they're ALL Finnish or Latin.

PoJ- Folium (leaf)

PoW- Vare (ripple)

PoF- Liekki (flame)

PoS- Kivi (stone)

PoE- Terram (ground)

PoI- Jaatya (freeze)

That wasn't hard. Heck, it took me less than five minutes.

Anyway... the Protectors' names are all right. I just wish they were a teensy bit more relatable (which is the whole point of GIVING these characters names)

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I like the names.

...some of them, anyway.

But yeah, making the names sound like they come from a single, cohesive language SHOULDN'T be hard.

I mean... what do you guys think I've been doing with the characters in Nova Orbis? ALL of them (just about, anyway) have names that are derivative of Latin, Finnish, and on occasion, good old Maori. As a result, they don't feel like gibberish names from World of Warcraft or whatever. Even if someone isn't at all familiar with the languages these names originated from, the fact that they share a distinct rhythm, a "feel," they're easier to swallow, and yes, memorize, because the more of them you hear, the better a grasp you get on the language, and you pick up on certain elements of that language, like lyrics of a song.

I did notice Calor's name as being related to heat right away.  That's the problem I have with most fanfics, a lot of the names just look like gibberish.  Names don't have to be complex for a character to be interesting.

Honestly, Lego could start recruiting people from BZP to start writing their story for them (*hint hint*)

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

the book stays true to the source material.

And I just want to add that I'm exaggeratedly happy about this. With the old books, Greg would take the source material he was supposed to base the writing off of sometimes (in particular, I'm thinking the 2007 CGI shorts directed by Faber) and only vaguely follow them, creating a frustrating discontinuity between the two works. These books aren't going to do that and it's great.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

personally i dont care about names, what stands out to me is that they made them all male characters. it seems like any time lego has tried to break away from having monogender elements, it always comes only at the expense of the female characters, writing them to be male instead, rather than trying to make any attempt to keep any sort of real balance. its bara magna all over again, and i dont know about anyone else, but im a bit disappointed. i at least hope that future waves of sets wont make the same mistake of having one explicitly stated female character in a cast of twenty.

Edited by Weasley Time Prison

bionicle is trans culture

personally i dont care about names, what stands out to me is that they made them all male characters. it seems like any time lego has tried to break away from having monogender elements, it always comes only at the expense of the female characters, writing them to be male instead, rather than trying to make any attempt to keep any sort of real balance. its bara magna all over again, and i dont know about anyone else, but im a bit disappointed. i at least hope that future waves of sets wont make the same mistake of having one explicitly stated female character in a cast of twenty.

To the contrary, someone over on Eurobricks seems to have gotten a passage that identifies Korgot (the protector of earth) as a woman. No confirmation yet, but if it's true this is actually a pretty big step for BIONICLE to take.

EDIT: linked in the topic:

http://s659.photobucket.com/user/Mechafire/media/Private/0cfb0551-4aec-49e2-986e-86fede5628e8_zpsgjhuxrgx.png.html

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 4

To the contrary, someone over on Eurobricks seems to have gotten a passage that identifies Korgot (the protector of earth) as a woman. No confirmation yet, but if it's true this is actually a pretty big step for BIONICLE to take.

did they really? :o

of course, there still needs to be more female characters, but this is pretty exciting for me to hear!

• Upvote 1

bionicle is trans culture

I'm disappointed about that too, but it was kind of what I was expecting, unfortunately. On the other hand...

I would be ridiculously excited if this is the case. While one added female character would do no more than put us on-par with 2001 gender ratios, having a female Protector who's NOT water-aligned would be a step the classic theme never took, and would do a lot to reinforce the idea that, yes, there can be female characters of any element now. Plus, just thinking about the idea of a female Protector of Earth, it just... works.

• Upvote 1

I edited this into my post, but just so it's not as easy to miss, they linked this on Eurobricks:

http://s659.photobuc...huxrgx.png.html

I don't trust this. There's no page number and no borders like on the other leaked pages. I'd take this with a grain of salt.

"Leaked"?  This looks like a screenshot from the Amazon preview.  When I look at the preview pages I get, my screen isn't tall enough for all the text on a page to be on-screen at one time, let alone the border and page number.  That being said, I too am withholding my full celebration for further confirmation.

OpAXNpl.jpg