OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I want more characters like The Piraka. They were just so cool and gangsta and I jumped every time Vezok or someone would glare at the screen. I loved the rubber spines and the dual weapons. Oh, and the light up eyes and glow in the dark teeth!

I can't pretend to imagine characters like the Piraka fitting into the style of the new BIONICLE, as released thus far. I know the original started off with a mythical, tribal feeling too, but something about the Legend animation just doesn't jive with the Piraka's gangster feel.

• Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I want more characters like The Piraka. They were just so cool and gangsta and I jumped every time Vezok or someone would glare at the screen. I loved the rubber spines and the dual weapons. Oh, and the light up eyes and glow in the dark teeth!

I can't pretend to imagine characters like the Piraka fitting into the style of the new BIONICLE, as released thus far. I know the original started off with a mythical, tribal feeling too, but something about the Legend animation just doesn't jive with the Piraka's gangster feel.

No reason why it's not going to change in the future. 

bZpOwEr

To be honest, as much as I like the Piraka, I have to agree. At the same time though it's still possible we could get six ragtag elemental villains. They wouldn't have the same feel but would have a similar base. Not every set of villains we get have to be animals/creatures!

• Upvote 1

All I ask for, really, is a villain that actually feels like a threat. It keeps me excited and what not.

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

All I ask for, really, is a villain that actually feels like a threat. It keeps me excited and what not.

I want something that's scary. I want something that will make the Toa terrified. I want something that can crush lives by using a small fraction of its power. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I want something that's scary. I want something that will make the Toa terrified. I want something that can crush lives by using a small fraction of its power. 

That sounds cool, but I think villains are more than just sheer power. There are different kinds of villains that I'd like to be explored. The kind you described sounds like one that's used at the end of a trilogy. There are lots of other types I'd love to see in the reboot to make things interesting!

But I do agree that perhaps towards the end a huge villain that the toa just don't have the power to overcome would be great. It could be Makuta or even another villain that stretches beyond even him. The toa could have to upgrade to some super duper almighty ultimate form or whatever or (even better) find something inside of themselves that was always there, but more powerful and valuable than they could ever imagine.

THE POWER OF LOVE

Edited by Banana Gunz

That sounds cool, but I think villains are more than just sheer power. There are different kinds of villains that I'd like to be explored. The kind you described sounds like one that's used at the end of a trilogy. There are lots of other types I'd love to see in the reboot to make things interesting!

But I do agree that perhaps towards the end a huge villain that the toa just don't have the power to overcome would be great. It could be Makuta or even another villain that stretches beyond even him. The toa could have to upgrade to some super duper almighty ultimate form or whatever or (even better) find something inside of themselves that was always there, but more powerful and valuable than they could ever imagine.

THE POWER OF LOVE

LEMME HEAR YOU SAY LUUUUV!

LEMME HEAR YOU SAY EDUCATION! 

(Doubt anyone here will get that reference). 

Anyway, in addition to the giver of nightmares I mentioned, I'd like to see some villains that actually cared for the other ones. The only clone set villains that were not robots or rahi were the Rahkshi (who didn't talk to each other much in the first place), the Makuta (who didn't trust each other), the Barraki (who really didn't trust each other) and the Paraka (who REALLY didn't trust each other).

There's so much backstabbing, I'd like to see an alliance on friendship between six baddies. I want to see one of them sacrafice him/herself to save another one from the heroes. It really makes one rethink their lives. 

bZpOwEr

If they brought back in another sentient, fully conscious being to become the main enemy for a story arch then I would hope the story team would take the careful time and put in the resources needed to make sure that the villain wasn't a flat, scary looking cardboard cutout that they insert over and over again whenever they need a menacing front, or a menacing reason for something. Hopefully they would give a villain, not godly powers unless they were, in fact, the equivalent of that, but an actual purpose, an actual reason, an actual motivation and an actual goal. I want to see the villain fail, I want to see the villain succeed here and there, I want to see the villain change and act as a dynamic character.

I don't want to see another Makuta. I don't want to see the same character from 2015 in 2021 who merely cackles and takes the credit for all the wrongdoings in the world because he's a jealous gas creature.

Give the villain some life. Some of their own struggles, their own ideology, their own reasons for why they're doing what they're doing, why they believe in what they're doing, why they believe what they're doing is ultimately the better and correct way to solve a problem that's persisting in the world. Give them a character, an ideology, that ultimately clashes with the heroes, but give the villain room to change, room to grow and develop as well.

• Upvote 6

Tahu even sounds like the sound a fire makes when it's started!

lolwut? Hang on, I'm going to get a book of matches and some audio recording equipment. 

Come on! a bit of imagination! When you start a gas kitchen, the fire makes a similar sound.

Oh yeah, and Gali is the sound running water makes...

No, but it reminds me of water in some wa i cannot explain...

I agree with everything in this post, but this in particular;

I don't want to see another Makuta. I don't want to see the same character from 2015 in 2021 who merely cackles and takes the credit for all the wrongdoings in the world because he's a jealous gas creature.

There is only so much of a certain villain(-type) one can handle before you need to spice it up a bit; & G! did have things done differently but not enough methinks. I really hope this is changed, I'm interested to see how far they go with the LoSS though; Spiders being evil will never get old :P

Oh and "jealous gas creature" is actually ow I've referred to him before! :D

...A few times o.O

Could that have something to do with your age when you were introduced to it. :)

I'm very much influenced by how the elements & their correlations were shown in Ocarina of Time (& Wind Waker)...

lolwut? Hang on, I'm going to get a book of matches and some audio recording equipment. 

Come on! a bit of imagination! When you start a gas kitchen, the fire makes a similar sound.

I'll give you that some things suddenly erupting into flames with a somewhat of a pop sounds, vaguely, very vaguely, sounds like something like [t̪͡(θ)ʼʰ ~ ǀʰ] which I can't quite determine how to best express in IPA, but generally something along the lines of a heavily aspirated dental ...click?

Hard to say, but I can see onomatopoeia for that 'popping' sounds being made with a /t/ sounds, although I feel that a labial stop encapsulates it better, although that could be English bias on my behalf... [Additionally I think pop works because of the stop+()+stop pattern; the aspiration gives the rushing & if you were to make it something like /p'ʰ.p'/ it captures it very well... but meh]

Really though; I don't think Tahu is that evocative of fire, I suspect a number of people that tried would make the connection (it if you had it with some of the other Toa Mata names and said that some of the elements, probably would help if they've actually thought about onomatopoeia &/or language much before...) but it really doesn't strike me as evidence for;

[...] the epicness of the toa mata's names. 

:P

In unrelated news, I'm unsure of how ...uh, intelligent I want the LoSS to be? Like ... I sort of expect an Shelob (& in a way Ungoliant) type of presentation in terms of talking but also seeing they're intelligent?

Like in the bits of the comics I've seen there is the LoSS 'showing off' the Golden Skull (Spider) Mask, but generally considering his name; I don't really expect him to do much talking over the course of the series? Either haveing a lot before he's ah, solved, very early in the series, or remain mostly on the evil Rahi side of things... IDK I just don't see him being a long term villain at all.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

:P

In unrelated news, I'm unsure of how ...uh, intelligent I want the LoSS to be? Like ... I sort of expect an Shelob (& in a way Ungoliant) type of presentation in terms of talking but also seeing they're intelligent?

Like in the bits of the comics I've seen there is the LoSS 'showing off' the Golden Skull (Spider) Mask, but generally considering his name; I don't really expect him to do much talking over the course of the series? Either haveing a lot before he's ah, solved, very early in the series, or remain mostly on the evil Rahi side of things... IDK I just don't see him being a long term villain at all.

If he's a long term villain, I think he's going to turn out like Darth Vader, provided he's sapient. 

In Star Wars IV, Vader is always on Tarkin's leash. In Star Wars VI, he was a servant of the Emperor. It was only in The Empire Strikes Back that we got to see him on the loose, causing havoc (which is why that's my favorite movie out of the six). 

So I predict that the majority of the time, he is going to be in servitude to someone. I don't have much evidence to back this up, but I've noticed that that seems to happen often when you've got a puppet villain like the LoSS here. I'm hoping that he just stays here for one (MAYBE two) year(s). 

bZpOwEr

Don't know if you follow Legends of Chima (I stopped several episodes ago, the show was becoming unwatchable) but whenever the villain for the year appears, the heroes each scream their incredibly annoying screams. (Especially Eris) ;)

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I think I might have figured out what significance the gold skull spider mask might have in the story, notice in the LOSS comic LOSS grabs the gold skull spider mask then all the skull spiders come toward him, this hints towards the idea that whoever owns the gold spider mask controls the skull spiders. 

Heart of the Visorak confirmed for 2015. 

• Upvote 6

bZpOwEr

I think I might have figured out what significance the gold skull spider mask might have in the story, notice in the LOSS comic LOSS grabs the gold skull spider mask then all the skull spiders come toward him, this hints towards the idea that whoever owns the gold spider mask controls the skull spiders. 

Heart of the Visorak confirmed for 2015. 

Legacy of the Mask soon after that? :P

• Upvote 1

Even then, It doesn't meet up with BIONICLEs standards.

Regular Visorak (each breed had a name) -> Big Visorak (Kahgarak)

Skull Spiders (each color seems to just be a Skull Spider, nothing more, nothing less, so far...) -> Big Skull Spider (Lord of Skull Spiders)

You seem to be ignoring the dozens of Rahi that DID have generic English phrases as names. Doom Viper. Rock Raptor. Catapult Scorpion. Blade Burrower. Chute Lurker. Cable Crawler. Dagger Spider. Lightning Bug. Pit War Tortoise. Ice Vermin. Lava Eel. The list goes on and on. There may even be more Rahi with names like that than Rahi with actual Matoran-language names.

• Upvote 4

Even then, It doesn't meet up with BIONICLEs standards.

Regular Visorak (each breed had a name) -> Big Visorak (Kahgarak)

Skull Spiders (each color seems to just be a Skull Spider, nothing more, nothing less, so far...) -> Big Skull Spider (Lord of Skull Spiders)

You seem to be ignoring the dozens of Rahi that DID have generic English phrases as names. Doom Viper. Rock Raptor. Catapult Scorpion. Blade Burrower. Chute Lurker. Cable Crawler. Dagger Spider. Lightning Bug. Pit War Tortoise. Ice Vermin. Lava Eel. The list goes on and on. There may even be more Rahi with names like that than Rahi with actual Matoran-language names.

Whilst I don't agree with Boidoh, in fairness to him: many of those sets which had generic English names weren't 'primary' sets as such, by which I mean the typical pattern of; 6 medium sets, 6 small sets, & a few large sets each wave  they did certainly seem to be more promoted (than 'impulse' [i think-hope that that dis-includes the small sets such as most Matoran, Bohrok Va, Rahaga, & Agori] sets, & combiner models).

Also, those listed were either offhand mentions (or with a very minor appearace) or contest-winning entries (or combiners). All the official Rahi from sets had names in Matoran language.

This is entirely true! However, it still flies in the face of the notion that descriptive English-language names for BIONICLE creatures somehow don't fit the tone of the BIONICLE story.

I'd almost say it makes MORE sense to use meaningful names on the sets that appear on store shelves than to reserve them for use in supplementary media, since the sets on store shelves are the ones that are going to be seen by kids and parents who know nothing about the BIONICLE theme and who will be most likely to need things explained to them in terms they understand. By contrast, kids who buy books like BIONICLE: Rahi Beasts that are full of supplementary information are more willing to enjoy and appreciate the complexity that comes from terms unique to the BIONICLE lexicon.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I can explain it.

It's because you know the characters and their elemental affiliations, and probably have for a while.  Because of that, you're naturally going to associate their names with their elements.  But to anyone else, the names won't mean anything.  "Tahu" won't be the literally hotheaded team leader, Kopaka won't be the icy loner, Gali won't be the master of the waves.  Those are really only associations you can make after learning about the characters.

Also, gas stoves sound more like "click click click fump" to me.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

I can explain it.

It's because you know the characters and their elemental affiliations, and probably have for a while.  Because of that, you're naturally going to associate their names with their elements.  But to anyone else, the names won't mean anything.  "Tahu" won't be the literally hotheaded team leader, Kopaka won't be the icy loner, Gali won't be the master of the waves.  Those are really only associations you can make after learning about the characters.

Well, I hear tahu instea of fump. My ears are bionicleized after all those years...

I sort of see where you are coming from, but could you really imagine them in MNOG either? I wont speak for you but I know I cant. Obviously Bionicle changed a lot over the years and the bog question is will this one follow the same path of will it stick to its roots faithfully? 

Which could make it the mask of Control. It does have the weird blue spiral coming out of it in LOSS's box art that we have seen on the Mask of Creation

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Which could make it the mask of Control. It does have the weird blue spiral coming out of it in LOSS's box art that we have seen on the Mask of Creation

...If this in the video turned into the mask in this set, & if we don't get a more faithful set versions &/or a good explanation for why it transformed into something else; Others-&-I will be very disappointed.

I can explain it.

Well, I hear tahu instea of fump. My ears are bionicleized after all those years...

Well, I suppose that "Lewa" has a nice, woody sound to it.

Goooooooooooone...

I sort of see where you are coming from, but could you really imagine them in MNOG either? I wont speak for you but I know I cant. Obviously Bionicle changed a lot over the years and the bog question is will this one follow the same path of will it stick to its roots faithfully?

Well you're talking to the wrong person. The only thing I like about the Piraka are the colours. Luckily when TLG reps talk about the new BIONICLE, they have mentioned over and over how much 01-03 have inspired them. They mentioned over and over that those years more than any other really set the tone for what BIONICLE really was, and what they wanted to do.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

2006 was one of the best years for Bionicle. the first three years were decent at best, and it wasn't until Takanuva and The Rahkshi that things started to get interesting. Before that, while the sets looked cool and everything, the story was very generic and one dimensional. The years after the first three gave everything time to grow and improve, and it worked for the better.

...Until 2010 happened....

Edited by Blueblur21

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Ugh. I seriously don't want 01-03 again. It had no real storyline to it, it was just a bunch of collection-related adventures in repetition. I want a story that actually has a backbone to it. 

Look at MNOG and the succeeding animations again. They are shining examples of narrative construction amidst the generally standard fare BIONICLE offered.

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

If you go over to a complete stranger who does not know anything about bionicle, and make him match names to elements, he will surely get them all right.

I don't buy that at all.

Asked my mother:

Blue: Water

Red: Fire

Green: Plant

Brown: Desert

Black: Shadow

White: Snow

Close enough?

skratchR was saying that, given names like "Tahu" or "Onua", people would be able to identify elements. Obviously people can tell that red is more likely to represent fire than, say, water.

• Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

If you go over to a complete stranger who does not know anything about bionicle, and make him match names to elements, he will surely get them all right.

I don't buy that at all.

Asked my mother:

Blue: Water

Red: Fire

Green: Plant

Brown: Desert

Black: Shadow

White: Snow

Close enough?

skratchR was saying that, given names like "Tahu" or "Onua", people would be able to identify elements. Obviously people can tell that red is more likely to represent fire than, say, water.

Yeah, the colors are really the only thing giving away their elemental affiliation.  I also maintain that if you show someone who doesn't know BIONICLE a monochrome image of the Mata (probably Nuva too) that they wouldn't be able to tell which element is whose, because aside from the color (and Tahu's fire sword) there's no real visual cues for any of them.

Heck, they might think Onua Nuva is "jungle" because of the chainsaws, or Pohatu is "water" because of the foot additions.

OpAXNpl.jpg