Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I am this derp: http://www.bloggingw...ur-running1.jpgKothra's right

So I was right in my ETAs. :o*victory dance*In process of updating maps as we speak; I'm going choose the oppertunity to once more pull out the big read text.YO PEEPS LOOK HEREIf you want your new colony to be put on the map asap, PM me! Otherwise, no one will know until Sunday and/or I decide to actually read. Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: On the lunar base in the 1-1 sector the Alizarin had clambered back into their exploration suits and were seeking their Natsirt hosts. It was probably time to discuss a treaty. Alliance between the two peaces was essential given the proximity of their homeworlds. A great deal of trust would have to be built upIC (2-7): "If there is more you wish to discuss now we have traded information, should we arrange a more formal meeting?" the 'ambassador' to the Syrrinx suggested, "To make any agreements properly official."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [Location: Homeworld. Identity: Head Admiral]They did not have to look far; the moment the aliens had begun seeking them out the Admiral and the delegation were alerted, the two groups meeting each other rather quickly."I trust the accommodations are too your liking?" The woman gave a quick hand gesture to a man standing next to her. "This is the Confederation Council Leader, Orcen Revor. He has been granted powers by the Council to negotiate a treaty between our two peoples; if you'll follow us, we have a room prepared where we can talk."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:"I see nothing that needs attention. Exchanging contact information would be ideal, so our governments may speak as needed."

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: You're an English Bulldog, Xom? That's pretty cool, I guess.Ooh, quick question. Considering that my building project (Carreg-dur) was initially announced back when we had the 3-for-1 price, cancelled when you were saying 3-for-1 with Carrier bay modifier stated as 1-for-1, and then restarted when we got to the final configuration, does that put the completion date as the first one (a week from the initial announcement of the building project) or the new one (a week from the end of the confusion over cost-modifiers)?I lost two days over that debate, and considering that the project was initially announced to be completed Tuesday...

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCI think if you were building three at the time it's auto rearrange to just one. Rectons are fun when done right.

voidstars.png

OOC: The only problem I see with that is that I declared the project cancelled as soon as Xom mentioned the whole 1-for-1 carrier-cost multiplier thing for Starbases.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC (1-1): "The accommodation was perfectly satisfactory, yes. I hope that it, and the current meeting room, has not put you at too much of an inconvenience." the Chief navigot answered, it and its crew following the councilman, suits singing out with metallic slitheringsIC (2-7): "Very well. We have updated this copy of the holomap with our information on known space, and provided transmission details should you want to make contact. We shall be taking this copy," it held a second holomap in its grasping tentacle, "With your contact details. Should we find anything of importance you can be sure we shall alert you."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

The Minister floated into his chambers, neural plugs glowing with blue light on his "head". Roshad followed him in, then turned slightly and tapped a button on the wall, the door sliding shut. The crustacean-like alien stood around 7 feet tall, with a hard red and grey carapace beneath his silver titanium marine armor. A personal laser pistol hung at his side, and a large knife was strapped to his thigh armor. He knelt before the Tsui'nau.The Minister couldn't help feeling a bit rushed, so wasted no time with formalitiesStand up.Roshad complied, and looked upon the Minister."Why have you brought me here, Oh majestic one?" asked the Bivalvi.Drop the formalities. We don't have time for this. I won't be able to keep the ship from recording this conversation for long."Sir, what are you sayi-"Don't talk yet. LISTEN. The following conversation never happened.If he had eyes, the Tsui'nau would've cocked an eye at the Bivalvi soldier, appraising him. Roshad merely nodded, indicating that he would remain silent.Have you ever wondered, Roshad, why your race has free will? Why I cannot force you to do my bidding, the way I could any Tey'so?"Because that is how we were created. Though we have free will, we choose to serve the gods."Don't spit back at me the answers you've been taught. I want to hear what you think. Don't tell me the thought hasn't crossed your mind.The Bivalvi shrugged. "Sir... Some things are better left alone. I'm not here to ask those kinda of questions."If you're here, you have as much right as anyone to ask those questions. Let me ask you something- the Bivalvi are, to the Tsui'nau, alien, correct?"Well, we've integrated so well, so-"Answer the question. Are the Bivalvi from a different world?This time, Roshad simply answered. "Yes."Exactly. Do you not find it strange that the one race not from Treanu is the one that we cannot control?Roshad shrugged. "That's just the way things are, sir."Well, what makes you think that I will be able to bend the will of another alien race if I cannot bend your own?"You are a god. If the other race has not been created with free will, your will will be there's, sir."...I have a feeling that any race we encounter will possess free will. Roshad, let me ask you something. What if I am not a god?"You are Tsui'nau, sir. The Tsui'nau are the gods, therefore so are you."I've been told that my entire existence. So have you. But I have come to realize something- I can be killed. I cannot create life. I cannot bend matter or energy to my will. I am not immortal. Tell me- are these not all characteristics of a deity?"Well, yes, sir, but-"Then I am not a god.The Minister let the statement hang in the air for a moment, as Roshad's eyes widened."Sir, if you are not a god-"Then everything you've been taught is a lie.Roshad remained silent, mulling over what the Minister had said.Think on what I've said- but tell no one.The Tsui'nau extended a tentacle towards Roshad.If I am not a god, you are not below me. Though society may not see it so, I consider you my equal.Roshad gave a questioning glance, but the Minister simply dipped his cap, much like nodding.With great reluctance, the soldier extended his hand, and the tentacle wrapped around it.The Minister held the contact for a moment, then broke away.We don't have much time left, continued the Tsui'nau. When we leave this room, it must appear as if nothing has changed. We must continue to act in the roles we're expected to play. When I am unable to influence any race we encounter, the Tsui'nau will respond by saying they are the gods of Treanu, and other races will have their own gods. Do not believe it. Think on what I've said.The Bivalvi nodded. "I will, si- Minister."Good. We will talk again, Roshad. The ship will begin recording again in approximately fifteen seconds. You are dismissed.The soldier nodded, turned, and exited the room.The Tsui'nau silently contemplated what'd he'd done. Somehow, he doubted he was the first Tsui'nau to question this. When the others discovered, he had no doubt he would be executed- without the public knowing.But they will not discover Roshad. I will keep that from them. Because an idea is the most dangerous weapon of all- and I've just planted the most powerful idea possible.With these thoughts, he re-entered the main cabin.Rolling Gamboge moved out of the cockpit, tentacles spreading through the water. The squid-like alien's skin flashed with light, signaling that the jump drive was again ready.The Minister tilted his cap again.Good. Continue on course, pilot.The Sui' Malo moved back into the cockpit, and the ship glowed bright cyan before disappearing as it jumped into the next system.The ship appeared in 2-40, near the edge of the system. Drawing a deep breath of water into his gills, the Minister placed his tentacles back into the slots, re-interfacing with the ship.He locked onto the planet, the ship's cameras serving as his eyes. He suddenly stopped breathing as he sighted what looked like ships flying around the planet, some entering the atmosphere, some exiting.They were not alone.The Minister activated the ship's transmitter, and took a moment to calm himself. As he surveyed the alien ships, he decided that any race advanced enough to build such craft would have an understanding of mathematics. He began a prime number sequence.One pulse. Then two. Three. Five. Seven. Eleven. Thirteen. Seventeen.He waited for a response, his complete attention focused on the planet.OOC: Hello, Necro! :P

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Homeworld: Kalmara (1-48)Territories: Kalmara (1-48), Colony 1 (1-46), Colony 2 (1-45), Colony 3 (1-44), Colony 4 (1-47)Navy:I'akoi x5 (1 posted at 1-46, 1 docked at 1-46, 1 docked at 1-47, 1 docked at 1-48, 1 docked at 1-45)Under Construction:Nothing

Edited by TheMightyFighty

calvin_and_hobbes_under_tree.jpg

IC [Location: Homeworld. Identity: Council Leader]They reached the chambers soon enough, larger seats prepared for the bulky suits around a table shaped like a omega; once everyone had taken their places, the council leader began to talk."The Confederation wishes peace from our peoples, however, it has come to our attention that you came from the Great Passage; do you control the worlds around the Passage? If so, we would like to arrange a... travel agreement. We wish to make a presence beyond the Passage, at minimum cost. If possible, we could even form an alliance that would give us mutual protection; many species exist that are not quite so friendly as species such as us, and we must protect ourselves in whatever way possible."

voidstars.png

IC (1-1): The suits rested the bases of their hydration tanks against the chairs, their tendril-legs either splaying along the floor or tucking up underneath the chair itself."Alliance is a necessity. Our home planet is just beyond this 'Great Passage', a similar proximity to your own. We stand, as it were, back to back. By now we control most of the worlds around our side of the Passage, if you do the same we can guard each other from assault from the rear and focus on our frontiers."OOC: Btw Alex, looking at the maps you've forgotten to fill 2-17 in as one of mine

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOCI'll fix it pronto, which means sometime next week depending on just how hard high school murders me this week.IC [Location: Homeworld. Identity: Lead Councilor]"That is exactly what I was thinking; we must protect each other from the forces on either side of the Passage." The Councilor waved at an assistant, who activated a holographic project which spelled out an alliance. "You'll find this to be a rather through alliance treaty, though it boils down to this; we protect each other if one of us is attacked, we have full trade access, and we share our conquests. Whatever discoveries and new worlds we find however are fair game to either of us, though a combined settlement is not out of the question in such a case."OOCXom, what was the limit on combined settlements again, and what was the rational behind that, aside from 'we can't have two species benefiting five IPs from the same world!'

voidstars.png

OOC: The limit for each planet in a shared system is 3, and I have no clue what the rationale is, apart from making you want to backstab the person you're sharing with.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCBecause I mean, yeah, alien technology IS NOT COMPATIBLE. Macs cannot bring down city-ships. However, everything tends to work off the same basic principles and with some time and doing a compatible hybrid technology can be made. So, with enough time, one could have a prosperous homeworld like planet that is shared between two races via hybrid tech.Me, personally, I'd be happy if it could do something like, once past three it takes double the time to mature, to account for tech issues as the cities begin to merge and the species intermingle fully.

voidstars.png

OOC: The limit for each planet in a shared system is 3, and I have no clue what the rationale is, apart from making you want to backstab the person you're sharing with.

That's precisely it. I want everyone here to be looking out for their own, not their "allies" who are also looking for the perfect moment to backstab them.IC:Changeling from 2-32 to 2-33

-Rover

OOC: Excellent.On an unrelated note, I'm making nice progress with some of the main races for my RPG - the one I'm working on now subsists entirely on soup.If either TPtI or ToA would like to send a scout down to check out my little corner of the Sector, I'd be happy for the interaction (plus I think we should make a northern alliance and beat the stuffing out of those silly sods down in Sector 1. :P)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Rover, I agree completely.IC:The Changeling's previous move hadn't been entirely without purpose; it had picked up a wave of Electromagnetic signals upon reaching this zone of space. The ship's commander had decided to investigate, as it was well within his rights to do so. An hour after jumping to 2-33, the ship made another jump to 2-43. Since it hadn't been perfectly possible to determine the origin of the signals(that required receivers far enough apart to judge parallax) the captain ordered the Jump Drive spun up, but began broadcasting what the Navy designated the First Contact Signal."1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17"

-Rover

IC: On the arid(by Treanuan standards, which meant partially covered in shallow seas with exposed, desert land) world of Bivali Mun, the signal was picked up. The prime number sequence was diverted through the military channels to the planets governor, a Tsui'nau designated Tau'mec 9054. The governor was shocked. First contact- after all the millennia of Treanuan existence, they had done it. They had discovered another sentient species.Following the first contact protocol, he governor replied, continuing the sequence:"19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 39."Hoping extraterrestrials would have a translation algorithm, he added a simple greeting."Greetings, from the Treanuan world of Bivali Mun."

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:"Greetings from the Syrrinx Republic. Could we come down and have a chat?" Obviously, the Captain's words were not so informal, but the pickled brain that ran the ship's translation program wasn't exactly the most Oxfordian of sentient brains lobotomized, kept on life support, augmented with quantum computers and used to calculate billions of fluid operations per second."

-Rover

IC: The governor was shocked to understand an alien race's words so clearly. Apparently the translation algorithms were working as planned.He transmitted a reply "As we have not been able to yet construct a starbase of any kind on this colony, that will be acceptable. Please be advised of all atmospheric conditions and other concerns. Does your species respirate in a gaseous or liquid manner?"Landing coordinates, as well as information on the air and water of Bivali Mun were sent out.Today would be interesting.As the Syrrinx looked down, they could see a great shallow sea, covering over half the planet, with another 30% being taken up by a large, sandy, arid landmass. Small areas of settlement were scattered around the coast, but as the light hit the seas right, large underwater ctites could be seen, connecting the coastal towns.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:"We have environmental hardsuits. This is a spaceship, after all." The ship began to descend into the atmosphere, its slim shape letting it slip into the atmosphere where a large ship would have to punch through. A screaming white fireball was soon descending into the atmosphere, before it slowed on fusion thrusters. It hit the water at a speed of less than thirty meters per second, and immediately inflated several bags of helium across the sides, which would keep the ship afloat and stable. A dive team was being suited up in hardsuits while the ship's commander waited for any more signals from the aliens.

-Rover

IC: Small vehicles surfaced around the ship, humanoid figures in metal armor appearing, black glass covering their faces. When the ship opened its airlock, the head soldier tapped just under his cheek, and his helmet retracted, revealing a crustacean-esque head with a red and white exoskeleton. It nodded to the Syrrinx, then spoke in Bivalvi. The translator algorithms in his suit activated, running through and causing what came out to be a rough approximation of the Syrrinx tongue."Greetings, and welcome to Bivali Mun."

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:The ship's Xenologer looked the alien in the eye; her eyes were a striking brown, mythically rare among Syrrinx*, while her bright green scales made her an obvious sight among the pale greens and muddled browns of the rest of the crew, and Syrrinx in general. Her teeth, black as obsidian, glinted in the light as she spoke."The Syrrinx Republic greets you." The Xenologer said as she put on her helmet.OOC: *Brown eyes are among the Syrrinx as rare as purple eyes are among humans.

-Rover

IC: The Bivalvi looked the Syrrinx in her eyes, his mind having no trouble processing the idea of an alien race- after all, five separate species made up the Treanuan Confederacy."The Treanuan Confederacy returns your greeting, and recognizes the Syrrinx republic."His eyes flashed a brighter blue for a moment as his implants uplinked to the computers in his armor."Preliminary scans of your physiology show that you respire gaseously. If you're all ready, we will take you to our planet's chief god."

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:Waitwhat-play along, play along. Was the thought running in the Xenologer's head. "All right everyone." The Syrrinx Xenologer was technically the third highest ranking member on the team, but in such a situation the entire dive team, five Syrrinx in all, followed her lead. "Dive" she said. Five splashes, and the Syrrinx were the first ever to swim in the oceans of a new world.

-Rover

IC: The Bivalvi dove into the water, their suits not hindering them at all as they moved effortlessly through the sea. Each soldier took one of the Syrrinx delegates onto a small, underwater craft resembling a large motorcycle, streamlined to slice through the water using jet propulsion. The marines lead their Syrrinx passengers through the sea, passing numerous examples of underwater life as well as some beautiful coral formations. While on a Bivalvi dominated world like this, the coral which made up Treanu's network was not as needed, it was still to be found here and there, glowing a bright purple. They moved into the city- being of Bivalvi design, it was not as aesthetically pleasing, functional, metal buildings, though there was a certain beauty in the underwater city among the coral, and aesthetic touches were not totally lacking.The vehicles made their way straight to a tall, rather impressive tower with smooth, flowing sides- Treanuan in design. The tower broke the surface of the waves, and the vehicles rose, nearly reaching the top, and deactivated on a circular metal platform surrounding the spire. A door opened, and the Bivalvi motioned the Syrrinx to follow them inside, using a complicated sign language to talk to one another beneath the water's surface.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

(@Alex) Ic (1-2): The squad of ships rolled counter-clockwise, arcing downward towards the planets atmosphere, their hull-plating sparking a brilliant orange as they hit the mesosphere. A few minutes passed and the trio ruptured out through the cloud layer and began to rapidly descend towards the base of the looming space-elevator in front of them. The sea beneath them began to churn and foam white as the formation leveled off within five meters from its surface. The spray of mist acted as a mask as a large, clear pod tumbled out of the back of one of the Klein-ships. It quickly sunk beneath the surface before the water settled and once again became transparent. The Leben ships continued on to the designated landing pads. This time Viisas exited along with what appeared to be several other high-ranking delegates, donned in deep, Prussian-blue robes. Each of those that left the ships wore a frightening looking crustacean-parasite on their face that covered their mouths and nostrils, clinging on by spindly tendrils. The representatives waited for further instruction.Beneath the ocean surface, half a mile from the island, four Leben soldiers pried open the latched door on the pod from the inside. Water rushed in, engulfing the spec-ops squad. The group swam out into the open-water, organic-respirators over their faces, and disconnected their gear from the exterior of their "drop-capsule". Sukel'taja, the leader of the operation, gestured with hand signals if the party was prepared for departure. Upon receiving the okay from everyone they began to swim out into the murky waters underneath the floating island.Ooc: Gah Xom, now my post feels like a rip-off...Weekly Update Info:Leben:Systems:

• [*]1-36 (HW)[*]1-42 (PR)[*]1-35 (PR)

Ships:

• [*]1 Forschung Scout/Stealth Ship (Small)[*]2 Klein Boarding Craft/Dropships (Small)[*]2 Drydocked Anfänge'samen (Colonizer)[*]10 Abfangen (Fighter)

Total Industry : 3 (5, -1, -1)Total Industry Usage: .75 (25%)Currently Constructing:

• [*]1 Tinte (Medium) (Done 11-8)

fibonacci

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

IC:Nervously, the Syrrinx followed, led by the Xenologer, who was doing her best not to clench her smaller arms in fear and apprehension. Was this a literal god, the reality bending version, or a metaphorical one? A simple idol, or an actual being?

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

OOC: Just a quick interjection here. ToA, I'm loving the work you're doing with your races - clearly, tons of improvement happened between the end of IL and now.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: As they entered the tower, they came upon two guards. They were not Bivalvi, but Sui'Malo. They stood eight feet tall, on four tentacles that served as legs. They wore ornate armor, with glowing orange sections. Their heads were long, extending back with large, black eyes on either side, while hanging tentacles covered their mouths. A pair of long tentacles sprouted from their backs, while two more came from where their shoulders should be. These two split into three at the end, forming a pair of "hands" which were coiled around bladed staves of some kind, though the triggers and gun barrels on them made them look even more dangerous. From the "stomach" of each hung four more short tentacles, which curled and uncurled in the water.As they approached, the guards crossed their staves, blocking further entrance. The lead Bivalvi's mouthpiece projected something in untranslated Bivalvi, and the guards uncrossed their weapons, signalling their assent with patterns of multi-colored light. If the Syrrinx had their translators on, it would say something like "These are the aliens who wish to speak to the god."The Sui'Malo lead them back a little farther, and they entered a small, dead-end room, though there was enough space for all the beings.The doors closed, and the room began to sink, showing it was an elevator. They descended for some time, until the doors opened. The Sui'Malo guards stood at attention on either side of the elevator doors, while the marines lead the Syrrinx down a long hallway.At the end of the hallway was another metal door, with two more Sui'Malo guards. The same exchange went on, with the guards flashing their assent in a burst of multi-colored light.The doors opened, and they entered, the guards and marines bowing low. From the back of the room floated what looked like a ten-foot tall blue glowing jellyfish. Its voice echoed in the minds of all in the room, small metal objects attached to its cap flaring with blue light.Thank you for escorting the visitors, captain. Have four of your men stay in here- the rest are dismissed.The Treanuans rose. The lead Bivalvi saluted, then signed out orders to the other marines. He and three others stayed in the room while the rest walked back the way they'd come. The guards took their places at the door, staves at the ready.The Tsui'nau focused its attention on the Syrrinx, and again they heard its voice in their minds, speaking a perfect imitation of their language.Greetings, Syrrinx. I am the head Tsui'nau of this world, designated Tau'mec 9054. Tell me about yourselves.OOC: Thanks, man, I'm glad to hear that. I've got a good side plot planned out, and I think my writing's improved. :)

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: Your writing has improved considerably, and I love the concept you've built up with the Tsui'nau and the races they control.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: It definitely hasIC:Sienta saw no god; merely a ruler. What she had expected was entirely different; a great being of some sort, a nebulous power, perhaps, or a physical god, perhaps an embodiment of a natural force. What she saw was an unusual, aquatic creature. She was rather displeased at being deceived so. She did not kneel, bow, or give any gesture of assent. This was no god, and its worshipers would know it."I am Sienta Kralan, Xenologer and representative of the Syrrinx Republic. I stand before you as an equal, as all members of my race shall." Sienta suppressed a predatory grin. If these people thought their rulers gods, what better way to prove them wrong?OOC: Sienta here is not the wisest Xenologer in Syrrinx employ. ToA, wait for my PM before you reply, please.

-Rover

OOC: Thanks, Rover. I appreciate that. :)IC: The Marines glanced sharply at Sienta, while the guard's grips on their staves tightened.The lead Marine projected his voice out- "How dare yo-"Stop, cut off the Tsui'nau.He looked at Sienta, and she heard his chuckle in her mind.We may not be the gods of your race, child- perhaps you have none, perhaps you do. But I am the god of this world, and we are the gods of these people. You may see me as an equal, but you're only a child. Your short-lived race cannot comprehend certain things.However, I wish not to be displeasant on the first meeting of our races. I propose we begin to share a little about our people and their ways of life? Is that acceptable, Miss Kralan?

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:Sienta shot a predatory grin at the marine who had spoken, her teeth bared, and a deep, predatory growl escaped her throat. She looked back at the false idol before her."My people live lives of freedom, our most honored virtue. We are a Spacefaring empire, our Navy wide reaching and strong. And we are immortal."

-Rover