Winter vs Summer

Toa Alvarno

During Gen 1, did you get more excited about winter or summer sets? For me, I remember finding early images of winter sets and getting really excited about receiving them for Christmas. The winter releases always introduced a new theme for the year, which was much more exciting. But summer still had quite a lot of hype. Are you guys as excited to relive these moments for the new generation?

Well for me the best wave of winter sets in gen 1 that I remember were the Barraki, I was so excited for them after seeing images of them in the LEGO magazine that I would get in LEGO Club that November, but generally I think BIONICLE was the only LEGO theme that both winter and summer sets were as good as each other, because I generally find that the summer sets are bigger and better than winter sets in majority of other LEGO themes. And yes I am excited to see how good the summer sets are in comparison to the awesome winter sets we are getting.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Honestly, I can't really remember which were which. :/

I'd say the winter sets, though, because I remember some friends and I getting really excited about... the Inika, maybe?, during that time. I can't remember. Something in that time period.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

it was always the winter sets for me, because of the mystery surrounding the next story year. i remember the 2008 winter sets being a particularly exciting leak/reveal process; i checked Brickset obsessively for a while.

....and then i ended up buying almost none of them. how about that.

• Upvote 5

It truly depends. I was always super excited for the summer wave because that's when the story kicked into high gear, and often we received the more memorable characters as sets (like the Inika/Mahri). Regardless, winter was also very exciting because it's the first look into the new year! We know what the sets look like but we have no idea where the story will go. That's always a really exciting time as well. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I'm down under. I honestly think I preferred beginning of the year more so overall, but I can't say I looked forward to one more than the other - only what was next after I'd collected all that I could that I liked in the current season :3

I mean end of year had the Titans, but set for set... with the notable exception of 2003 I liked more things from 'Winter' than 'Summer'.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Winter is cool to introduce everything for the year... it is fun to see everything new. But summer sets always look great, especially titans.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

I like the start of year reveal the most, but I've noticed I tend to get more excited for the mid year sets. There's usually more mystery and anticipation regarding the start of year since it's usually a new chapter, new location and so many unknowns. Whilst the mid year ones are teased more and generally have some cooler story significance. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I'd have to go with the Winter line-ups, for much of the same reasons mentioned above. Since the Summer lines were usually Toa, and thus pre-established characters, they were neat but already expected and understood. Nothing could really match the speculative fires fueled by the villain line-ups, which was always the most exciting part of the year (except perhaps for story climaxes).

• Upvote 1

~ Renewal ~

Winter always had that New Line feeling—it's where we got lots of great new pieces. Summer lines were always hit-and-miss for me in that they nearly always followed the winter wave.

That said, the Inika were so much better than the Piraka in every conceivable fashion, so there are always exceptions.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

During the earlier years of Bionicle I was a fairly young kid, so I would receive sets of the winter waves much earlier because of my family giving a number of them as Christmas presents, meaning that I remember a lot more excitement over winter sets. Of course, the anticipation of waiting until Christmas probably helped too, as summer sets could be opened immediately without building up excitement.

~B~

Edited by Ballom