Imaginative Power Uses

Cobui

Lately, I've gotten to thinking quite a bit about ways a sufficiently resourceful Toa (or other powered being) could use their Kanohi or elemental powers imaginatively for utility or battle. So far I've come up with:

• [*]A Toa of Air could hold very limited control over sonics, given that sound in air is essentially a compressed form of wind. They wouldn't hold as much control as an actual Toa of Sonics, so the ability would probably be limited to something along the lines of an imprecise sonic shockwave.[*]Toa of Water might be able to control an enemy's body (think bloodbending from A:TLA), but only the biological components. They could also counteract a lightning-based attack by capturing the electricity with a water shield.[*]Toa of Earth could possess an ability akin to Toph's blindsight (that is, sensing vibrations in the ground)[*]A Toa of Lightning could render an enemy unconscious by dampening the electrical activity in the target's brain.

Any other ideas? Let's give our fanfic writers something to work with!

fjRqLk4.jpg

I can say that in a world where pretty much everything and everyone is bio-mechanical and/or wearing metal armor, a Toa of Magnetism and a Toa of Iron would be pretty much gods if they didn't hold back. There's a reason the Makuta hunted them in particular after they turned.

Edited by Takatu
rahkshi_symbol.png

There are basically infinite amounts of possibilities for this.Well, any of the physical elements (water, ice, air, stone, etc.) could be summoned in large quantities inside of an enemy's limb/torso/head/etc. for an instant, rather messy removal of the targeted part, not that Lego would ever permit something like that to actually be shown...Gravity could be massively amplified in carefully selected specific regions of the body, such as a specific muscle or structural armor component, to cause permanent injury/incapacitation of that part.Air could be used to create an air supply or even a surrounding bubble of air underwater to allow underwater breathing (I remember an early comic where Lewa dove underwater and almost drowned, and I always wondered why he didn't do this).Light could be used to create a very precise arrangement of lasers aimed toward each other, which, when a deuterium/tritium pellet is added to the middle, causes an inertial-confinement fusion reaction which produces massive amounts of energy. :P

well this may not fit exactly but you know how a common thing for fire wielding beings how they will snap their fingers and little sparks will fly out, well i think it would be neat for a ice wielding being to snap their fingers and a small storm of snow would come out like if you picked up some powdery snow in your hand and u blow air and they create a little flury. I think it would be neat to see somebody do that in the story just once.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

One of the reasons I've never been too thrilled about elements like Psionics being added to the canon is that, for me, at least, I still adhere to the theory that a given element has to be able to be shot in a straight line.However, since it was added, I've thought that inducing a coma by decreasing an enemy's brain functions was an easy way to end a battle.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I think that a toa of telekinesis (we have one of those, right?) would be really powerful I he/she was smart. Doing a bit of telekinesis in an enemies brain or heart, or the bionicle equivalents, would be incredibly damaging. They could also fly, steal the opponents weapon/mask or do a good old darth vader strangle. One would really be powerful.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I think that a toa of telekinesis (we have one of those, right?) would be really powerful I he/she was smart. Doing a bit of telekinesis in an enemies brain or heart, or the bionicle equivalents, would be incredibly damaging. They could also fly, steal the opponents weapon/mask or do a good old darth vader strangle. One would really be powerful.

Telekinesis is classified as a power of psionics.

One of the reasons I've never been too thrilled about elements like Psionics being added to the canon is that, for me, at least, I still adhere to the theory that a given element has to be able to be shot in a straight line.

I don't think Gravity can be shot in a straight line, and it came well before Psionics.

I think that a toa of telekinesis (we have one of those, right?)

Toa of Psionics have Telekinesis powers, yeah.EDIT: Ninja'd. :P Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Toa of water could make a water bubble around an enemies head to drown them.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

One of the reasons I've never been too thrilled about elements like Psionics being added to the canon is that, for me, at least, I still adhere to the theory that a given element has to be able to be shot in a straight line.

I don't think Gravity can be shot in a straight line, and it came well before Psionics.
Thus I'm not a big gravity fan either. :P At least they didn't add Kinetics, though as an expanded universe element it could prove to have some imaginative power uses itself (draining energy, etc.)

I just realized how broken the Gravity Element is. Nuhvok-Kal or any Toa of Gravity could simply crush any of their opponents into a singularity. In fact, I'm suprised Makuta hasn't done that to anybody yet (like the Shadowed One or Voporak).@Poutwuw: Oxygen is an element in both Water and Air, but Air is part Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen as well, and Water is a compound, so the Oxygen in it cannot be seperated. So while your idea would be cool, it wouldn't work (that said, Liquid Protodermis could work differently).As another contribution, I would like to point out how the Mask of Strength and Mask of Speed are equivilant. Newton's Second Law states that Force = Mass*Acceleration. The Pakari increases Force, so therefore it also increases Acceleration. Similarly, the Kakama increases Acceleration, so it also increases the wearer's Force.Another way the Kakama can be used (though this probably only works for the Kakama Nuva) is to make all surrounding objects vibrate so quickly that they approach the Speed of Light, causing their time to slow down (so to an extent it can be used as a limited Vahi).

I know this was denied, but I always did like the idea of a Toa of Sonics moving at the speed of sound. Only a truly legendary Toa could do something like that, though. (And to heck with their sensitive hearing! :P)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I always thought a Pakari could be used to strenghen leg muscles for impossible acrobatic feats (a.k.a STRONGjump).Also, for Toa of Water, is the brain not 77% water? Also, wouldn't they be able to absorb water and cause fatal dehydration?A mask of speed could also be used to fight at super-speed. (Disarming your opponent when they blink nad so on.)

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

I know this was denied, but I always did like the idea of a Toa of Sonics moving at the speed of sound. Only a truly legendary Toa could do something like that, though. (And to heck with their sensitive hearing! :P)

A legendary Toa or a blue thing that vaguely resembles a hedgehog.A Toa of Light could shoot laser beams from their eyes. A Toa of Fire could freeze enemies by sucking away all heat (I think Vakama did something like this).

This has been done twice that I know of The first done to hakann by Toa Inika Hahli, but he used his heat vision to turn the water to steam and the second was done to gorast by Toa Gali.On a similar note i think it would have been neat to have seen Kongu Mahri to use his air power against one of the barraki and force air into the barraki's lung effectively delaying them since toa can't kill.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'm sure we all know how fire can be used to change sand into glass.A Toa of Fire could increase the heat inside a hollow, sealed space and increase the air pressure enough to blow it apart. I believe Vakama did this on the Lhikan during Maze of Shadows.A Toa of Magnetism could theoretically create lightning by turning one area positively-charged and another area negatively-charged, then letting the electrons in the negative area flow back to the positive area. Also, by alternatively increasing and decreasing the amount of electrons in various parts of metal, a Toa of Magnetism could bend that metal.A Toa of Lightning could affect electrical currents throughout a target's nervous system. This could have a medical application: While operating on a being, a Toa of Lightning could interrupt the electrical signals from nerves in the area being operated, thus numbing that area so the patient won't be in pain.That's all I have right now.

I just realized how broken the Gravity Element is. Nuhvok-Kal or any Toa of Gravity could simply crush any of their opponents into a singularity. In fact, I'm suprised Makuta hasn't done that to anybody yet (like the Shadowed One or Voporak).

Probably not powerful enough. A Nova Blast could do it, probably.A Toa of Plasma could control the weather: by absorbing or creating very large amounts of heat in a short time, he could create instant areas of high or low pressure, with all the phenomena associated with them.A Toa of Light could make him or herself invisible, by manipulating the light striking his or her body so that it actually passes around him or her and keeps going. To any observer, it would appear as though light passes straight through his or her body, therefore making the said Toa invisible (though this use would probably require a lot of concentration).A Toa of Psionics could cool (possibly freeze) or heat (possibly melt) objects by telekinetically slowing or speeding up the vibrations of their atoms (or is it the molecules that virbrate? I'm not sure). This however would be beyond the power of an ordinary Toa. Perhaps by using a Nui Stone...

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

One of the reasons I've never been too thrilled about elements like Psionics being added to the canon is that, for me, at least, I still adhere to the theory that a given element has to be able to be shot in a straight line.However, since it was added, I've thought that inducing a coma by decreasing an enemy's brain functions was an easy way to end a battle.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.Gravity could be used to crush a part of someone's body into the rest of their body, effectively destroying their arm.Air could be used to lift someone to a high distance and then drop them.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Air probably has nothing to do with levitation. It might allow someone to move in any direction, minus up and down.A Toa of Gravity could easily kill anyone instantly, like Icarax did to Botar.A Toa of Magnetism could probably bend someone's armor and crush them within it.A Toa of Air could probably explode or implode lungs.A Toa of Psionics could rip apart someone's mind.A Toa of Fire could easily just light someone on fire and burn them to death on the spot.A Toa of Water could extract or take control over all water in an enemy's body, or drown them instantly.A Toa of Stone could create rocks inside an enemy's body, While a Toa of Earth would do the same with dirt.A Toa of Ice could freeze the particles of water in the body, stopping all organs from functioning. Or freeze them to death...A Toa of Iron could also crush an enemy, rip them apart, reshape them, throw them around, or just about anything else.A Toa of Light could blind anyone, or turn anyone friendly.A Toa of Lightning could deactivate all electric currents in the body, causing paralysis and death.A Toa of Sonics could do the same thing Korahk Kal did, and separate all particles in the body and scatter them around.A Toa of The Green could create a parasitic fungus inside a body, which would eat away until there was nothing left.A Toa of Plasma could just melt anyone into a puddle of molten protodermis and organic material. (or blood and metal, depending on the species)So basically, any Toa could easily murder anyone.

LlqByyh.png

Alot of these, like the rust or the Air toa controling Water with the Oxygen, would work here on earth. But you have to remember that a lot of these elements are really just different forms of prototermis. So a Toa of Air couldn't control liquid protodermis. Nor could he necessarily control regular water, because a) he only has control of oxygen in air compounds and mixtures and http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png we don't even know if Bionicle air or water have oxygen, or if oxygen exists at all. I'm not 100% sure on b, I might have missed something, but I don't think many of these are as easy as ya'll make them sound.Edit: Um, the sunglasses is supposed to be the letter b and then parentheses. Accidental emoticon ruined it.Edit numero dos: Plus there's the whole limeted EE thing.

Edited by Lego Obsessionist

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

With Gravity, remember that you don't need to crush people. Inf act, that's a waste of energy. Just go the Nuhvok-Kal route and fling your opponent into space. Boom, essentially an instant kill. even if your target doesn't suffocate or freeze to death in space, good luck getting back where you came from without propulsion. In my opinion, the best power uses are also the simple, effective and logical ones. Controlling water via "air-bending" sounds silly to me. Simply suffocating them is pretty interesting, as you would expect a Toa of Air to use wind and tornadoes. A point for Lewa there.No fortress can stand against a team of Earth/Stone/Fire/Iron. Earth weakens the foundation, Stone breaks down brick walls, Fire burns away wooden structures and Iron removes metal plates and doors.Poutwuw: Though I know you probably like that power judging by your av/sig, friendship/emotional softening is a power of the Avokhii, not the Light element in general. :PIf they weren't fighting beings with similar power, any Toa would be "overpowered". A whiff of flame and your entire army burns to death along with the nearby forest. Water drowns you on dry land. Magnetism crushes your weapons and armor (with you still inside) like tin foil. This is the reason why I liked Dark Mirror and the battles towards the end of the Aqua Magna saga so much, by the way. All-out war, elemental blasts flying everywhere and people dying almost instantly. I mean, this right here (Chapter 8)? Within the first paragraphs we already have several deaths, all of them from a single attack each. Teridax, "master of shadows" and wielder of 42+ powers, is forced to retreat from your average Toa!Conclusion: Toa are hardcore.

Edited by Katuko

This has been done twice that I know of The first done to hakann by Toa Inika Hahli, but he used his heat vision to turn the water to steam and the second was done to gorast by Toa Gali.On a similar note i think it would have been neat to have seen Kongu Mahri to use his air power against one of the barraki and force air into the barraki's lung effectively delaying them since toa can't kill.
Or a Toa of Water could literally fill the enemy's lungs with water. Nigh-unstoppable, almost certain death (if she really didn't want to kill the person, she could always just absorb the water after the enemy was unconscious).

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?

They could also counteract a lightning-based attack by capturing the electricity with a water shield.Toa of Earth could possess an ability akin to Toph's blindsight (that is, sensing vibrations in the ground)

Sorry to be Mr. Nitpick here, but just wanted to note that a lightning enemy with actual elemental control would likely not be hindered by a water shield at all; they could control where the lightning went. But if it was a just "shoot bolts of lightning and hope" type enemy, sure. :)And to the second, maybe that's part of what LEGO meant about Onua?

Air could be used to create an air supply or even a surrounding bubble of air underwater to allow underwater breathing (I remember an early comic where Lewa dove underwater and almost drowned, and I always wondered why he didn't do this).

Probably they can't make air do something completely unnatural like exist in a bubble underwater -- it would immediately whoosh up to the surface. And he'd be meanwhile expending more energy doing that when he should be focusing on freeing himself. Admittedly this logic breaks down a lot in light of the bubbles of many sizes seen in 2007. :shrugs: I've tended to assume something was added to make those hold up, though. I dunno.

It can be -- remember all elements work by shooting out a beam of elemental energy which then converts into whatever element it is, whether energy or material. Psionics being an element means that elemental energy of it exists. It just can't convert until it hits a mind.

It can be too, actually, by remaining in its elemental energy form for a while. Also, even when converted, gravity can be aimed like a beam, and stuff will be attracted towards the source of the beam (moving it sideways, for example).

But a long time ago I had an idea of a Toa of Air being able to also control water because it's part oxygen.

Well, that wouldn't work on protowater. The idea of the elements isn't so much based on specific makeup but of general function. Which is why a Toa of Water can control both real-world molecular water and protowater. So since water functions as a liquid, not a gas, Toa of Air can't control it. Water Vapor, though, is admittedly more debatable. :P

Nuhvok-Kal or any Toa of Gravity could simply crush any of their opponents into a singularity. In fact, I'm suprised Makuta hasn't done that to anybody yet (like the Shadowed One or Voporak).

It wouldn't be simple, though -- remember Nuhvok Kal only did that when the Toa Nuva supercharged his elemental energy and made it run out of control -- it was his equivalent of a Nova Blast. And also destroyed him in the process. :P So that's two reasons why Makuta can't and wouldn't do it, heh.

As another contribution, I would like to point out how the Mask of Strength and Mask of Speed are equivilant. Newton's Second Law states that Force = Mass*Acceleration. The Pakari increases Force, so therefore it also increases Acceleration. Similarly, the Kakama increases Acceleration, so it also increases the wearer's Force.

I think this has to be another case where the adage "Earth physics don't apply" has to be pulled in, though. Greg said the Kakama specifically speeds up nervous system signals and allows muscles to move faster. That isn't the same thing.Also, really, even under Earth physics, something lightweight can move really fast, but if you slam it really fast into something heavy, that doesn't necessarily equal the same as something heavy slowly moving something heavy. Damage to either object can occur at fast speeds that wouldn't happen at slow speeds. So basically, there's more going on that just that one simple equation. :)

Another way the Kakama can be used (though this probably only works for the Kakama Nuva) is to make all surrounding objects vibrate so quickly that they approach the Speed of Light, causing their time to slow down (so to an extent it can be used as a limited Vahi).

A nice idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. :P Increased vibration means heat, not temporal effects. To get time dilation you have to actually move faster, or move into a region of more intense gravity. Vibrating molecules that fast instead would make them basically vaporize. Ouch. :PAlso, the Kakama Nuva doesn't so much worry about the speed of vibrations, but the location of the vibrations so that the molecules sort of dance around each other. How fast they have to vibrate to do that depends on how fast the wearer is physically moving through an obstacle. And since there's an upper speed limit way below the speed of light for the user, the molecules would never be able to vibrate that fast. It's like if there's a car driving at you at highway speed, you have to jump out of the way faster than if it's inching along. But it still is nowhere near so fast that you'd need to move near the speed of light to jump out of the way.

I always thought a Pakari could be used to strenghen leg muscles for impossible acrobatic feats (a.k.a STRONGjump).Also, for Toa of Water, is the brain not 77% water? Also, wouldn't they be able to absorb water and cause fatal dehydration?

1) It should be able to, yeah.2) We don't have information like that about Bionicle brains. There's no "the brain" here. :P3) Perhaps, but a true Toa would not, heh.

A Toa of Magnetism could theoretically create lightning by turning one area positively-charged and another area negatively-charged, then letting the electrons in the negative area flow back to the positive area. Also, by alternatively increasing and decreasing the amount of electrons in various parts of metal, a Toa of Magnetism could bend that metal.

Along those lines, a Toa of Lightning should be able to make electricity flow in a coil, thus making an energy version of an electromagnet.

A Toa of Psionics could cool (possibly freeze) or heat (possibly melt) objects by telekinetically slowing or speeding up the vibrations of their atoms (or is it the molecules that virbrate? I'm not sure). This however would be beyond the power of an ordinary Toa. Perhaps by using a Nui Stone.

Molecules are made of atoms. The two terms are interchangeable in an informal sense; if you say molecules are vibrating and the substance is really pure atoms, we understand you meant atoms in that case. We usually use the term molecules in Bionicle because Greg has confirmed that protodermis is a molecule (of unknown fictional design), and even on Bara Magna most things would be molecular.

A Toa of Ice could freeze the particles of water in the body, stopping all organs from functioning. Or freeze them to death...

Well, we've seen that Toa of Ice can non-fatally freeze people as a method of stunning, and they are fine when they thaw. But, if you were to shatter them (or at least their organic components) while frozen, yes.Anywho, one of of my favorites is a Toa of Ice creating a lot of ice, then absorbing the cold energy so it melts quickly into water, while shooting it as a beam. Could thus shoot a beam of water. Come in handy for putting out fires, for example.Probably a Ko-Toa should be able to absorb enough cold energy from flammable materials like wood to make them ignite too.One that's little known is that Toa of Fire make both flammable material and heat to ignite it with air. Theoretically, they should be able to make only the flammable material, which I always imagine as a dust-like substance, and cover an area with it. Then set up some kind of trap so it all goes up in flames later. Instant fire-cages, no need for supervision, etc. :PSpeaking of shooting beams of gravity, shoot the elemental energy as a beam, then only once it hits its target release it in whatever direction you want. Would give more precision control over its effects and could lengthen the range by a lot.We also know Toa can charge up objects with elemental energy to trigger later. So for example a Toa of Psionics could charge up telekinetic energy into a bunch of stones, walk away, and an enemy walks near, and boom, the stones all start flying around. Would accomplish freakiness as well as attack value, heh. Especially if being pursued by an enemy.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

They could also counteract a lightning-based attack by capturing the electricity with a water shield.Toa of Earth could possess an ability akin to Toph's blindsight (that is, sensing vibrations in the ground)

Sorry to be Mr. Nitpick here, but just wanted to note that a lightning enemy with actual elemental control would likely not be hindered by a water shield at all; they could control where the lightning went. But if it was a just "shoot bolts of lightning and hope" type enemy, sure. :)And to the second, maybe that's part of what LEGO meant about Onua?
First off, I did actually think of that shortly after posting this topic, but I did realize that it would indeed better suit something along the lines of a chain lightning attack.And what did Lego mean about Onua?But that aside, BONESIII POSTED IN MY TOPIC *dies of honor*[/noob]

fjRqLk4.jpg

And what did Lego mean about Onua?

Well, I might be misremembering, but I thought something was said about him being able to sense vibrations in the ground. I always assumed it was just a bonus ability, but maybe it's elemental along the lines of your idea. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

And what did Lego mean about Onua?

Well, I might be misremembering, but I thought something was said about him being able to sense vibrations in the ground. I always assumed it was just a bonus ability, but maybe it's elemental along the lines of your idea. :shrugs:
Well you did not misremember it was mentioned in the first chapter that onua showed up in the book BIONICLE Chronicles 1: Tale of the Toa, so if you read the first 5 chapters of the book you will see that you remembered correctly.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu