Cryoshell 2015

Toa Alvarno

i doubt they would, but given that they did a song for Hero Factory, i can't say for sure. i feel like they probably would want to leave their ties to Lego behind for any future projects, although maybe i'm just projecting my own desires onto them.

Edited by Arc

I would rather see a return to the 06-07 way; they used some good rock hits that really caught my attention for Bionicle. Move Along by The All-American Rejects and Crash by Daughtry are two songs that make me think of Bionicle and are a joy to listen to. Gravity Hurts was a good song for the first year of listening and then it lost its listening value when I lost interest in Bionicle (don't worry, my interest is 10000% revived now!!!).

In case I haven't made my answer clear, NO! I don't want Cryoshell back for Bionicle! I'd rather see Bionicle borrowing music from modern rock hits or heck! Lego is based in Denmark where loads of power metal bands are producing music! I would love to see Evergrey (my favorite band) team up with Lego for this! Or the more well known Iron Maiden. Point is: for Bionicle's reboot to reach me, they should try to introduce me to new music to keep things fresh.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Cryoshell was alright for me for some time, but my tastes have settled down and moved on. They make some nice music, but the overly dark and ambitious tone probably doesn't particularly fit the reboot. Dunno, just my thoughts on it. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

the overly dark and ambitious tone probably doesn't particularly fit the reboot.

oh, yeah, that's a really good point - one i'm not sure how i overlooked, heh. i love Cryoshell to death, but their music was definitely originally designed to fit the Darker And Edgier 2006+ Bionicle so. yeah that'd be waaaay out of place in G2. here's hoping they bring something like the old 2001 music back; that'd be really nice.

• Upvote 1

I'd LOVE it if they made something for Gen 2; but if they don't, I'm not gonna fuss. Gravity Hurts definitely wasn't as "dark" as the others, so I don't doubt they could pull off a more cheerful tone if they came back for this series.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Honestly, I'd really rather they didn't. All Insane Kids had the best Bionicle songs IMHO. "Hero" is still my favorite song of all time and Caught Up in a Dream" still rocks.

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I would rather see a return to the 06-07 way; they used some good rock hits that really caught my attention for Bionicle. Move Along by The All-American Rejects and Crash by Daughtry are two songs that make me think of Bionicle and are a joy to listen to. Gravity Hurts was a good song for the first year of listening and then it lost its listening value when I lost interest in Bionicle (don't worry, my interest is 10000% revived now!!!).

Ah yes, I too would like them to use generic popular rock songs with messages just generic enough to perhaps slightly fit the current story instead of having music written specifically to fit the story. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

• Upvote 5

Dark and Edgy? I need to actually search up some of their Bionicle music to confirm this accusation. 

their first song was literally titled "Creeping In My Soul".

its a good song but still

Oh, lol. I guess I have different standards when it comes to music--which is cool.

But back on topic, I think Cyroshell should do at least a modern version of one of their classic Bionicle songs. I'll admit, the whole 'rock theme' doesn't really fit into this cartoon-y vibe we're going to get. But that's where action scenes come in!

Edited by Toaborox18

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

They're probably still associated with LEGO, but I don't know if they'd do anything for the line; I don't think we'll get a designated BIONICLE single or anything for a bit, they probably want to establish their tone first.

Personally, I guess I'd be okay with it. Everything after Creeping In My Soul wasn't that great, but in terms of professional music production, it's nice that they had that for BIONICLE.

Wally, I don't know what you listen to, but All American Rejects and Daughtry couldn't be any less generic. I'd love to have them over some lame, corny, cheesy 'island music' that the early years had.

I don't think he was saying that the bands themselves are generic (I personally think they are, but that's really a different discussion), rather that LEGO just pulled whatever was trending on the radio at the moment and that happened to vaguely be thematically connected, rather than crafting a song based on their ideas. The songs might have a specific message, but like a lot of pop songs they contained a number of different interpretations that allow it to be easily grasped by any listener, which is what LEGO was banking on.
  • Upvote 2

Wally, I don't know what you listen to, but All American Rejects and Daughtry couldn't be any less generic. I'd love to have them over some lame, corny, cheesy 'island music' that the early years had.

"Move Along" has one of the single most generic messages a song could have. "Move along". They could have used Dory's "Just Keep Swimming" with just as much effect.

I'd prefer island music, considering it's, you know, an ISLAND. I'd rather not Moulin Rouge it here. I want music that fits the tone and story, not music plucked off the airwaves because it's what the "cool kids" are listening to these days.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he was saying that the bands themselves are generic (I personally think they are, but that's really a different discussion), rather that LEGO just pulled whatever was trending on the radio at the moment and that happened to vaguely be thematically connected, rather than crafting a song based on their ideas. The songs might have a specific message, but like a lot of pop songs they contained a number of different interpretations that allow it to be easily grasped by any listener, which is what LEGO was banking on.

My original point is illustrated in this quote. I'd rather see Lego using thematically connected music for 2 good specific reasons:

1. If it's a popular song, that would widen the audience of Bionicle to those who like the song or vice versa; say someone hears the song on the radio one day and then see the commercial with the same song and thinks the set looks cool: is that not success for both parties involved?

If Lego wants to look at marketability, then this is the way to go.

2. If it has the versatility to be interpreted different ways, then it not only is easier to stay with the listener (in this case, a potential Lego customer), but it would also honor Lego's sense of creativity and forming you own ideas. This reason is definitely more subjective, but it is a good point.

Now, I'm not going to defend the bands because I can see ya'll's arguments for those two groups being "generic." I respect ya'll's opinions. Just know though, that Cryoshell, while they are a good band, aren't so original either. I'm not calling them generic as ya'll did to the bands I like, but I just want to make you aware that Cryoshell (stylistically) aren't that different from Daughtry.

But I really don't want to start a pointless argument, let's just get back to the topic at hand.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I don't think they will return, but that would just be a guess on my part.

As for wanting them to return, I really never got into the band. I thought their songs were good, but they weren't my favorites from Gen 1 Bionicle. So I would be okay if they didn't come back.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I never said the bands themselves were generic. Heck, back when I was in middle school, I enjoyed bands like that. What I said was the message of the song itself was just generic enough to be slapped onto a Bionicle commercial without a second thought instead of actually thematically matching what was going on, which is notably what using Cryoshell helped avoid, since the songs were specifically written to match the tone of the sets/story.

"Move Along" has one of the single most generic messages a song could have. "Move along". They could have used Dory's "Just Keep Swimming" with just as much effect.

I'd prefer island music, considering it's, you know, an ISLAND. I'd rather not Moulin Rouge it here. I want music that fits the tone and story, not music plucked off the airwaves because it's what the "cool kids" are listening to these days.

Not really...

Most songs tend to try to forcefully inspire people, but I love that song because it doesn't tell you to keep hope, it tells you to just keep going and eventually you'll fin yourself in a better place. That in itself inspires me more than if someone tried to force it.

And how about we not let our personal tastes get in the way of each other. Just because you don't like a song, it doesn't give anyone the right to spit all over it while other people might actually like it. I'm sure lots of us can agree on fitting tone but dismissing a song just because you don't like it just feels rude. Songs impact others differently, so it's best we try to keep that in mind when posting on a place where others read what we say and are impacted by it.

I do agree that making a song specifically for something can be better than finding a different song for it, but calling it generic just because it wasn't custom made isn't true. Relevance can be found and associated with anything. Any one of the Cryoshell songs can be seen as generic the same way you feel Move Along was generic. It's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind ONE song for nostalgia's sake, but really their style doesn't fit with the direction Bionicle is heading in now. Maybe in the future, when themes get a little more action-y or whatever. Same deal as Gen1, their songs would have been so out of place with the Toa Mata/Nuva (though now that I think about it they could have worked with the Toa Metru...)

I don't mind Cryoshell. I like all of their Bionicle focused songs, but I don't think their syle quite suits that of a tropical island setting. I'd prefer music that is similar to that of Makuta's Theme from MNOG, not because of nostalgic purposes, but rather because I feel it fits well. That is just my opinion though. 

As for thinking they'll return, I don't think they will. But if they do, it won't be a big surprise to me.

• Upvote 2

Bionicle is in Cryoshell's DNA—the band was founded by employees of Advance for the explicit purpose of creating promotional songs for the theme, and then when the theme ended they kept it rolling with moderate critical and commercial success in their home country of Denmark. Considering that, I would not be at all surprised if their talents are once again tapped for commercials or the credits to a movie or TV special. I'm sure the episodes themselves will be backed by a more traditional instrumental score, mind you (and I'm hoping it's one that can establish a new sound and new leitmotifs for the rebooted theme), but for some things you just want to have something you can sing to, and I can think of no other band which would be as willing or well-suited to such a task.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think it would be good to have a different band then Cryoshell, passing the torch to a different band That Not Three Days Grace.  Like bands that is not that known yet and still small, I think it would be epic if my new favorite band Gemini Syndrome did the songs for the new Bionicle.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube