Future Set Designs

Zippo

No, but what I loved about 2001 was that canister sets were $4.99!

$7.99, or in today's money almost $11.  The sets also had about 1/3 of the pieces the current $20 sets have.  And fewer pieces than even this wave's $10 sets.

Don't give me this. Brutaka cost $20 - 193 pieces. Tahu cost $20 -89 pieces. 

You'll say, "inflation!" and "higher petroleum prices means higher plastic prices!"

I'll say, "People are making the same amount or less than they were in 2006, while we've had constant inflation and increasing prices." That doesn't make it okay. I feel like a lot of people try to gloss over how expensive Bionicles (and LEGOs in general) are getting. I am not trying to force this fact down anyone's throat, but price is not something that you guys should just dismiss so quickly. 

Blame the World Market for inflating prices. Cost is cost.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

$7.99, or in today's money almost $11.  The sets also had about 1/3 of the pieces the current $20 sets have.  And fewer pieces than even this wave's $10 sets.

You'll say, "inflation!" and "higher petroleum prices means higher plastic prices!"

I'll say, "People are making the same amount or less than they were in 2006, while we've had constant inflation and increasing prices." That doesn't make it okay. I feel like a lot of people try to gloss over how expensive Bionicles (and LEGOs in general) are getting. I am not trying to force this fact down anyone's throat, but price is not something that you guys should just dismiss so quickly. 

It isn't too much of an issue, but it does annoy me a bit when people talk about the number of parts and don't take into account that some sets have smaller parts than others.

• Upvote 3

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

It isn't too much of an issue, but it does annoy me a bit when people talk about the number of parts and don't take into account that some sets have smaller parts than others.

Smaller and simpler, yeah. There's a reason that in classic Bionicle, "titan sets" tended to have a way better price per piece than "canister sets", and it wasn't just the cost of the canister. The titan sets, with their more Technic-intensive builds, tended to use far more basic and inexpensive parts like axles, pins, and beams/liftarms. Same reason why Lord of Skull Spiders has the best price per piece out of this year's sets. The size, price point, and packaging of the set are not considerably different than the other sets this year, but the actual types of pieces used in the set are a lot different.

By contrast, Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua may be priced like G1 titan sets, but they're built more like G1 canister sets, and so their price per piece has more in common with the latter than the former. By G1 titan standards, their value for money would be quite underwhelming. But by G1 Toa standards, they are priced pretty fairly, with a similar price per piece to the corresponding Toa Mata even WITHOUT making any adjustments for inflation.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

I'll say that I was addressing the comparison of "$5 canister sets in 2001" vs. "$20 canister-sized sets in 2015".  Which, aside from comparing two wildly different scenarios (14 years apart, completely different sets), isn't even correct in the first place.

There are plenty of factors that influence price, including, yes, the value of currency and the price of materials.

By the way, going solely on piece count:

Tahu - 89 pieces, $20 (22¢/piece)

Kopaka - 97 pieces, $20 (21¢/piece)

Onua - 108 pieces, $20 (19¢/piece)

Lewa - 85 pieces, $15 (18¢/piece)

Pohatu - 66 pieces, $15 (23¢/piece)

Gali - 87 pieces, $15 (17¢/piece)

LoSS - 145 pieces, $15 (10¢/piece)

Protectors - 15¢/piece on average

All Piraka - 41-42 pieces, $9 (21-22¢/piece)

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm saying that we're paying for much less stuff at the same price point. That much, at least, is not debatable. 

That said, I think we're (I) are digressing from this topic's intent. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I want to see some brown-green pieces. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that this years villains weren't anything like what we'd seen before, so assuming lego continues this maybe next years villains will be something like serpents, kinda like the snake people from ninjago. 

I will say, that is a pretty good idea. All the more beastly villians we've had in Bionicle are mostly insectoid, so a serpent would be a cool idea. Half snake(lower body), and a Protector fused together. Awesome.

EDIT FROM EARLIER  POSTS- I recently picked up Toa Gali, and I have to say, I'm impressed. The colors work, I love the mask, and it is a awesome looking set. I guess Kopaka felt big and clunky to me due to the beefed up legs and upper body. Can't wait for the summer wave :D

I just picked up Gali as well, and she is one of my favorites of the winter wave! 

I agree about the serpent idea, except it would be even better if they were in the form of revamped Rahkshi...

I'm glad someone else likes Gali! Lot's of other people say Gali is a bad set, but I can't see it...It all just flows together.

And that Rahkshi snake design....YES. I might try to do a MOC of that, if you don't mind me using the idea. I'll have to buy some parts, though...

Also, more trans Purple bones and armor. And maybe a Makuta titan set?

• Upvote 1

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Leg pistons, 'nuff said. Those were my favorite parts of large titans and I hope they're brought back. There's got to be some way to integrate them into CCBS.

There's plenty of ways to integrate them into CCBS. But only one CCBS set (Witch Doctor) has been big enough to need them—otherwise, doubling up the leg beams or using friction extenders generally makes legs sturdy enough for most builds.

I'd love to see another colossal titan set like Witch Doctor eventually, but I'm not so confident I want it to become the norm—the Bionicle community already tends to dismiss any villain who's similar in size to the heroes, and I don't think that's a sentiment that needs to be reinforced.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd love to see another colossal titan set like Witch Doctor eventually, but I'm not so confident I want it to become the norm—the Bionicle community already tends to dismiss any villain who's similar in size to the heroes, and I don't think that's a sentiment that needs to be reinforced.

I second this. I want a larger titan set, something that forces the Toa to work together and act as one united force. That and just some large and fantastic build :D But as you said, the gigantic figures should be used sparingly to keep them unique and worthwhile.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I second this. I want a larger titan set, something that forces the Toa to work together and act as one united force. That and just some large and fantastic build :D But as you said, the gigantic figures should be used sparingly to keep them unique and worthwhile.

I'd like that too, but I want it to be approachable in terms of cost.

I want a titan villain for the heroes to fight at a reasonable price. If it's some type of, for example, Makuta incarnate with a few special masks at $50+, I'm not interested.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I'd like that too, but I want it to be approachable in terms of cost.

I want a titan villain for the heroes to fight at a reasonable price. If it's some type of, for example, Makuta incarnate with a few special masks at $50+, I'm not interested.

I'm all for a big 'ol Makuta Titan, but not $50...Even with the masks, that's still a bust. I definitly don't think LEGO would do it. They probably won't go over the Witch Doctor size. But then again, that is pretty big  :D

I always imagined my idea for a Makuta titan for G2 to be around $35-$40, and about 2x taller than the Toa. And maybe the Ekimu figure with it. I think that would be pretty good, and still affordable. Probably would also come with Mask of Ultimate Control and Mask of Shadow.

I would so buy that

Edited by Vokaru Mistika

I'd love to see a set of a big, bulky CCBS titan like this guy built by Christoffer Raundahl. But its harder to say what such a set's place might be within the Bionicle theme.

Honestly, a theme like Bionicle that is full of supernatural powers doesn't need a character to tower over the heroes to seem like a formidable threat, and it can even be counterproductive if it starts to seem like the main villain is dangerous because of their raw physical might rather than because of their personality and cunning. In Mask of Light, and Legends of Metru Nui, Makuta felt extremely dark and twisted. He was a manipulative spirit who believed he deserved to be worshipped and plotted to break his enemies' spirits (not just their bodies) to achieve that end. By contrast, in Journey's End, when he had his massive robot body, he felt more like a mere brute, wreaking havok just to bully those smaller than him into grudging submission. Likewise, think about the Harry Potter universe. Lord Voldemort may not tower over the main characters the way the troll from the first book did, but he was definitely a scarier adversary.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while larger villains can make great display pieces, figures above, say, 12 inches/30 centimeters in height can be a hassle to actually play with! Their joints need a lot of reinforcement just to support their weight, which can make posing a lot more time-consuming. That's probably why Bionicle had no single figures above $35 besides Toa Mata Nui from 2009 and the various titan combi models like Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, and Kardas.

Now, I'd love to see "powered armor" like the Exo-Toa make a comeback, and if that were to happen it would pretty much necessitate a main villain for that year nearly as large if not larger. Is the constraction category strong enough to support not one but two $35+ sets in this day and age? That I don't know. But it'd definitely be a neat idea to explore.

• Upvote 3

I'd love to see a set of a big, bulky CCBS titan like this guy built by Christoffer Raundahl. But its harder to say what such a set's place might be within the Bionicle theme.

Honestly, a theme like Bionicle that is full of supernatural powers doesn't need a character to tower over the heroes to seem like a formidable threat, and it can even be counterproductive if it starts to seem like the main villain is dangerous because of their raw physical might rather than because of their personality and cunning. In Mask of Light, and Legends of Metru Nui, Makuta felt extremely dark and twisted. He was a manipulative spirit who believed he deserved to be worshipped and plotted to break his enemies' spirits (not just their bodies) to achieve that end. By contrast, in Journey's End, when he had his massive robot body, he felt more like a mere brute, wreaking havok just to bully those smaller than him into grudging submission. Likewise, think about the Harry Potter universe. Lord Voldemort may not tower over the main characters the way the troll from the first book did, but he was definitely a scarier adversary.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while larger villains can make great display pieces, figures above, say, 12 inches/30 centimeters in height can be a hassle to actually play with! Their joints need a lot of reinforcement just to support their weight, which can make posing a lot more time-consuming. That's probably why Bionicle had no single figures above $35 besides Toa Mata Nui from 2009 and the various titan combi models like Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, and Kardas.

Now, I'd love to see "powered armor" like the Exo-Toa make a comeback, and if that were to happen it would pretty much necessitate a main villain for that year nearly as large if not larger. Is the constraction category strong enough to support not one but two $35+ sets in this day and age? That I don't know. But it'd definitely be a neat idea to explore.

I completely agree. In '01, Makuta was just in the form of the Tohunga. But now, Makuta seems for of a fighter, due to the Mask of Ultimate Control messing with him. So, if you ask me, it kinda fits to have him as a formidible opponent for the Toa to fight. The story doesn't really hint at Makuta being a manipulative kind of villian. Instead of working in the shadows, in just made a Mask and fought Ekimu.

I'm not saying make him *Huge*, but if I'm going to buy a Makuta Titan, I want a formidible opponent for the Toa to fight in the story. Unless, the Skull Villians are working for Makuta and he is in a weakened state...But regardless, I want a Makuta set. Not a titan exculsively, though. If he is Protector sized, that'll still fit with the story. I just think since it showed the Mask of Ultimate control mutating(I use that term loosely) him to make him more powerful. I think that might lead to some size multiplications later in the story. That's just my theory though. You would expect the mask to have that power :D

• Upvote 1

Maybe just more Technic integration then? I mean, I've built a few larger CCBS figures which integrate a lot of Technic in the torso and legs, such as Kaikohuru, Karetao, my G2 Umbra and a revamp of Onua (which I've now pretty much finished, but need to take pictures of). Technic integration like this is still a little fernickety and fiddly, but would make building much larger figures much more interesting, for kids and us alike. 

A big thing with building bigger figures is that these models still need functionality. While all the above models have some form of gearbox, something like the G2 Maxilos I'm working on would be much more problematic to apply a gearbox or something similar to. I mean, I could always use universal joints to extend the drive from the shoulder gears to the shoulders themselves, but that would likely mean I'd have to add a lot of ugly bulk to the model. That, and said gearbox would have to contend with the weight of what will probably be pretty heavy arms and weapons. Bionicle G2 is set-wise shaping up to be very function-oriented - every "canister" sized set has some form of shoulder-centric function, and to have what would be the biggest figure in it's line basically be about as active as an Inika build would honestly be awfully disappointing - and not just for me, but for kids who'd have gotten used to Bionicle figures as things which move about when you twist a knob. 

Leg pistons, 'nuff said. Those were my favorite parts of large titans and I hope they're brought back. There's got to be some way to integrate them into CCBS.

They can be integrated, and I have done so, but as Lyichir said it's not really that necessary now we have friction joints around. It's still a cool aesthetic though, so I can see why you love it.

EDIT: I've put more effort into this post than I did some of my English course. This is the fifth edit.

Edited by Logan McOwen

So how would joint reinforcement make posing more time consuming? While more articulation generally means more time-consuming posing because of more limbs to adjust, the reinforcements work in conjunction with the standard limb joints rather than adding extra points of articulation like fingers, waist, shoulders and toes. 

So how would joint reinforcement make posing more time consuming? While more articulation generally means more time-consuming posing because of more limbs to adjust, the reinforcements work in conjunction with the standard limb joints rather than adding extra points of articulation like fingers, waist, shoulders and toes. 

I meant in terms of making the limbs stiffer. Perhaps time-consuming wasn't the right term, necessarily, but it's a lot easier to adjust the limbs of a smaller figure on the fly, which is what you'd want to be able to do if you're actually playing with the figure rather than just setting them up for a static display (which would give you more time to get the pose just right).

Maybe some of this is just personal bias, of course. While the 2008 Takanuva set remains one of my favorite titan sets, I almost never actually play with it, as opposed to many of the smaller sets in my collection. And that could also have to do with what Logan mentioned above — that set didn't have a lot of actual play features compared to, say, the much smaller G2 Toa sets, so other than changing the pose there wasn't a whole lot you could do with it.

Now that the G2 sets have managed to integrate functions into smaller figures without reducing articulation, it'd be interesting to see if they could do the same at a larger scale. But they'd probably have to go about it differently. Just as joints have to be reinforced to support the weight of a set, they also have to be reinforced to support the weight of an arm and weapon, especially when they have the inertia of a "battle arm" function to contend with. Once you start getting up into higher size classes, a single friction joint in the shoulder might not be enough — but on the other hand, a reinforced shoulder in the same vein as those of Maxilos, Takanuva, or Witch Doctor would not be able to pivot on a single axis as effectively. You might have to get a little bit more creative.

• Upvote 1

Maybe just more Technic integration then? I mean, I've built a few larger CCBS figures which integrate a lot of Technic in the torso and legs, such as Kaikohuru, Karetao, my G2 Umbra and a revamp of Onua (which I've now pretty much finished, but need to take pictures of). Technic integration like this is still a little fernickety and fiddly, but would make building much larger figures much more interesting, for kids and us alike. 

A big thing with building bigger figures is that these models still need functionality. While all the above models have some form of gearbox, something like the G2 Maxilos I'm working on would be much more problematic to apply a gearbox or something similar to. I mean, I could always use universal joints to extend the drive from the shoulder gears to the shoulders themselves, but that would likely mean I'd have to add a lot of ugly bulk to the model. That, and said gearbox would have to contend with the weight of what will probably be pretty heavy arms and weapons. Bionicle G2 is set-wise shaping up to be very function-oriented - every "canister" sized set has some form of shoulder-centric function, and to have what would be the biggest figure in it's line basically be about as active as an Inika build would honestly be awfully disappointing - and not just for me, but for kids who'd have gotten used to Bionicle figures as things which move about when you twist a knob. 

They can be integrated, and I have done so, but as Lyichir said it's not really that necessary now we have friction joints around. It's still a cool aesthetic though, so I can see why you love it.

EDIT: I've put more effort into this post than I did some of my English course. This is the fifth edit.

I'm all for more Technic intergration. I've seen some really good ways Technic goes with CCBS, and it looks very easy to do, so no doubt a few sets in the future will have that Technic coolness. Those MOCs are really good, though. I like G2 Umbra and Kaikohuru the best.

I get what you mean by saying Technic can be intergrated into smaller sets, and I would really like to see a bigger-size Titan set. Not just Makuta, though that is one of my big hopes for G2. But another Titan I would love to see is Ekimu, just not in his Villager form. I think the story would take a real interesting turn if Ekimu became more than a Toa. I imagine the set would be priced about 30-40 dollars. Definitly some Technic intergration in that set, and the tool would be a larger Hammer-Shooter Contraption he has. I guess throw in the Mask of Creation and his Protector mask. That is a set I'd hope to see in the future

• Upvote 1

There should be a set with a sword that also doubles as a blaster.

That's actually a really good idea, not sure if a set like that has been done before.

Hey, it has—and in a set I hadn't really thought much about until recently! Sahmad wielded a sword with a Thornax launcher attached in 8994 Baranus V7.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That's actually a really good idea, not sure if a set like that has been done before.

Hey, it has—and in a set I hadn't really thought much about until recently! Sahmad wielded a sword with a Thornax launcher attached in 8994 Baranus V7.

Skrall also has a (imo much cooler) sword with embedded thornax launcher running it's length, it's part of why the swords are shaped that way!

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Skrall also has a (imo much cooler) sword with embedded thornax launcher running it's length, it's part of why the swords are shaped that way!

I was thinking more along the lines of the memetic RWBY "this weapon is also a gun" type thing.

• Upvote 1

The surprise was vampires!

I would probably want LEGO to incorporate more technic parts into the sets, and to make the toa look less bulky. I know a lot of people might disagree with me on the second part, but when the new sets first launched, I was honestly kind of turned off by how much bulk there was (in some cases it even limited movement). I've always liked how the toas' body structure used to be very rookie-esque.

justin_verceles

Exactly, besides the density of a CCBS piece is way more than regular system elements.

that is a possibility since they did so with Ekimu's hammer

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

I would probably want LEGO to incorporate more technic parts into the sets, and to make the toa look less bulky. I know a lot of people might disagree with me on the second part, but when the new sets first launched, I was honestly kind of turned off by how much bulk there was (in some cases it even limited movement). I've always liked how the toas' body structure used to be very rookie-esque.

I agree with the technic parts. I do think the sets could benefit from being a little more complex at times (not all of them need to be, but at least one challenging one would be fun). The bulk...I don't think the 3 smaller toa are that bulky. Gali is probably the bulkiest of those 3. The larger toa...Onua makes sense to be that large, just saying. Kopaka and Tahu, you may have a point for those 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I agree with the technic parts. I do think the sets could benefit from being a little more complex at times (not all of them need to be, but at least one challenging one would be fun). The bulk...I don't think the 3 smaller toa are that bulky. Gali is probably the bulkiest of those 3. The larger toa...Onua makes sense to be that large, just saying. Kopaka and Tahu, you may have a point for those 2

As I said, I bought Kopaka, and was surprised on how bulky and top-heavy he was. As far as Technic elements go, I think a lot of people(Including me) want those, and with good reason. I know a lot of people say this, but I think it's true. CCBS is very simplistic. I know it has it's perks, but I love Technic and the early Generation 1 sets for the Technic bits. Specifically gears, axles, and the like. Notice how the later had little real Technic parts. That doesn't mean they are bad by any means, as I love a lot of the later sets. The Toa to me were kinda simple due to the Inika build limitations. But with CCBS it is even simpler. I know you can do a lot with CCBS, but that essentially they are just skeletons with armor. I would really like more complex builds. I think I've already said this, but I'm just going in to bigger detail ^_^ 

I'd like to see some actual titans, I'd like one of them to be yellow.

Why yellow, specifically? :P

Just to have more diversity in the colours of the characters. 

Fair enough. I like the color Yellow, but I'm not hoping for a titan that's covered in "Keetongu-Orange" as we've already had Toa Mata Nui use that color in a lot of his pieces. Plus, I think the more common shade of yellow that is used in today's System bricks would be a better choice, personally. It just seems more natural, I guess.

As I said, I bought Kopaka, and was surprised on how bulky and top-heavy he was. As far as Technic elements go, I think a lot of people(Including me) want those, and with good reason. I know a lot of people say this, but I think it's true. CCBS is very simplistic. I know it has it's perks, but I love Technic and the early Generation 1 sets for the Technic bits. Specifically gears, axles, and the like. Notice how the later had little real Technic parts. That doesn't mean they are bad by any means, as I love a lot of the later sets. The Toa to me were kinda simple due to the Inika build limitations. But with CCBS it is even simpler. I know you can do a lot with CCBS, but that essentially they are just skeletons with armor. I would really like more complex builds. I think I've already said this, but I'm just going in to bigger detail ^_^

Agreed--I'd love to see more complex builds for larger sets and I'm a bit worried that CCBS will be a limiting factor (though I didn't follow HF very closely, so I can't say how large they got). I've found sets like LoSS, Skull Basher, and the like to be more interesting specifically because they integrate some more unique Technic bits.
  • Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

While we're on the topic of CCBS and possible limits, I say they should make shells with Technic axle-sized holes.  One of the reasons I'm leery of getting the new sets is that I'm afraid it's gonna be a pain to use Technic and Gen1 parts with the new shells and their minifig-axle holes.  I tried a couple of things with my one Surge 2.0 set (trying to make a wrist blaster, I think?) and finally I got so frustrated I made my own arm bones to make it work =P

It's just it seems to me if I start getting the new sets all the parts from my old sets will be pretty much useless.

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

While we're on the topic of CCBS and possible limits, I say they should make shells with Technic axle-sized holes.  One of the reasons I'm leery of getting the new sets is that I'm afraid it's gonna be a pain to use Technic and Gen1 parts with the new shells and their minifig-axle holes.  I tried a couple of things with my one Surge 2.0 set (trying to make a wrist blaster, I think?) and finally I got so frustrated I made my own arm bones to make it work =P

It's just it seems to me if I start getting the new sets all the parts from my old sets will be pretty much useless.

I think you might be thinking of this sort of the wrong way. There are a LOT of ways to use the newer parts together with older ones that don't involve sticking axles to shells, and a lot of builders who do use the two systems in tandem. Consider MOCs like this one that use CCBS shells as a sort of a "kneecap" just by sticking them to a vacant ball joint from a G1 leg beam.

If you DO want to convert those connections on shells to something more compatible with older parts, there exist some parts that are great for doing just that, like the flick missile (Ø3.2mm bar on one end, Technic pin on the other), or this connector (two 3.2mm bars and a cross axle hole), or even the old lightsaber blade piece (which I used to attach the wrist-mounted shield and blaster on one of my larger MOCs). But parts like that are certainly not the only way of using G1 and G2 parts in tandem.

• Upvote 2

I know how that feels. I can't customize my brand spankin' new 2015 sets because I don't have CCBS pieces. Integration is something on my wishlist for 2016