Skrall, Reproduction And Extinction

This topic is probably too inappropriate for a kids' forum, but here goes...If male and female Skrall live separately from each other, and hate each other, how could they reproduce? If they do it the same way as Earth life, then odds are they'll hate each other into extinction!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Someone once asked Greg about that. If I recall correctly, he did, indeed, suggest there might be a "mating season" of sorts, that they stick to.signoffffff.png

Now that I think about it, the males and females only separated a year ago, so whatever it was would only have stopped recently.Also, if there are still Skrall alive on Bota Magna, their males and females could reproduce with little issue, though Greg said that those females were also outcast (then again, afaik they were never abandoned in any mass evacuation like the Bara Magnan Sisters were).

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Well, even if there isn't a "mating season" as such, females who live together tend to synchronise their fertility cycles. That way, they're all ready at the same time.So, if they all banded together, the female Skrall could quite easily use their mind powers to invade the males' territory, have their way with them, steal their kidneys, draw moustaches on their faces, and then leave them with no memory of what happened the previous night.Whichever way it goes, I seriously doubt that both parties are willing, if you know what I mean. That implication in itself is pretty disturbing for a kids' franchise.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

So, if they all banded together, the female Skrall could quite easily use their mind powers to invade the males' territory, have their way with them, steal their kidneys, draw moustaches on their faces, and then leave them with no memory of what happened the previous night.

Thanks for those mental images...

Now that I think about it, the males and females only separated a year ago, so whatever it was would only have stopped recently.

If what you say here is true, than they probably haven't noticed too much lack of young Skrall. If these guys live for 150,000 years or so, extinction probably isn't too big of a deal immediately.

If I got a quarter everytime GregF said "I'm not going to go into that" with reference to Bionicle reproduction, then I would have retired five years ago. Without a pension.However, with regards to the topic at hand, you really need to watch more nature shows on TV. There are all kinds of species where the guys are just total bums except during mating season. Take tigers for instance, the males and females live totally seperately for basically their entire lives except durign mating. Something similar to that may be order for the Skrall.Or the Skrall are just enforcing very harsh gender-based segregation. :shrug:-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I don't think that's the case. For such a complex organism to be spawned asexually seems a bit far-fetched to me. Furthermore, by the very defintion of asexual reproduction, there would be no distinction of gender at all. And also, I get the feeling that there is at least some individuality among the Skrall. While they may be very disciplined, I don't think they're all clones of each other.EDIT: Also relavent to the topic at hand: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Sisters_of_the_SkrallApparently the female Skrall all have psionic powers. That shouldn't be surprising, though, because every man will tell you that his wife can read his mind :P.-don't touch my pocket protector

Edited by Toa of Nerds

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Ah, my favorite discussion http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gifYou know, the real answer is that there's no way we'll ever, ever know because Lego would never, ever, ever go into this territory.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I doubt this is inappropriate for a kids' forum - it's the life cycle, the way life works.Well, even as clones and taking out reproduction from the picture, cloning would still have a sense of individuality to it. At least the Skrall don't take the approach of the GBs, whereas the elements are gender based. One thing I always liked about Bara Magna. :P But I'm getting off topic: I think that somehow reproduction is possible on Bara Magna, although I don't think it's the way to create the Skrall. It's a territory that LEGO isn't going to touch - being biomechanical beings, reproduction wouldn't (or shouldn't, I should say) be possible, for they still have mechanical parts.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

So...would this be the same with Glatorian and Agori? Just asking. Then by that logic, every /Bara Magnian could reproduce like humans.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

So...would this be the same with Glatorian and Agori? Just asking. Then by that logic, every /Bara Magnian could reproduce like humans.

That is... disturbing, to say the least.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Okay since some think is gross, disturbing or perverted or something, reproduction isn't bad, other wise, no matter how we got here on earth (Notice how I said how, to prevent religion issues), or whata you believe, all living things need to have a way of reproduction. So both MU residents and Bara Magnians have a way to reproduce, Mu residents produce by making matoran from scrath from aa factory in Metru Nui, and Bara Magnians produce like all life on earth. There just answered this.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Greg Farshtey has stated that Bara Magnans get children like humans do. From the stork. *cough cough*I think I would agree with the mating season idea; it's rather animalistic (yeah, I've watched nature shows before), but aren't Skrall somewhat bestial anyway, if only bestial in fighting? If they've worked with the females that way from the start, it wouldn't seem so odd to them.

Perhaps they are an entirely genetically-engineered form of life, created by the Great Beings, and they can use some form of technology to duplicate themselves or artificially combine DNA to make complex clones. Perhaps, before the Shattering and the Baterra, they could identify and select specific genes to bring into the next generation, therefore creating stronger, more superior Skrall with less illnesses and deformities.That's just wild speculation, mind. They could just as easily do things the usual way, which would make this all a lot simpler, if not less sci-fi and cool.To the asexual-reproduction debate: There is actually quite a few species of lizard that can asexually reproduce without great consequence. Their species is entirely female, and the females' DNA retains the mix of genes from their parent species (meaning before they evolved to not need males), thus allowing them to survive for several thousand generations.Don't believe me? In the Whiptail Lizard genus, one third of the fifty known species under the name are entirely female. Google it or something.So it's actually possible for it to work, even though it's unlikely, and would require a more complex pattern. Also, the mix of genes would have to include the genes to either become male or female. Males would serve little purpose child-wise besides protecting the female and, I don't know, being slaves or paperweights or something, but somewhere along the line males felt more obligated to rights and as such a hatred was formed between them.Lots of speculating here, too. Think of it what you will.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.