Set Review: 75109 Obi-Wan Kenobi

75109_Obi-Wan_Kenobi_Review_teaser.jpg

Today we continue our LEGO Star Wars Buildable Figure reviews with 75109 Obi-Wan Kenobi. BZPower Forum Assistant Sisen takes a look at this Jedi Master, decked out in his Clone Wars armor and ready to take on some Separatists. Should you pick up this hero of the Light Side or avoid him like a Jedi after Order 66? Read on and watch our review to find out!

View the full article

At least he has armor on the back of his legs. :P

Anyways, this does look like a great Obi-Wan Kenobi Lego set. He has some interesting pieces and looks like jumped out of the movies or TV show and into real life.

Thanks for the review! 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Apparently, Obi-Wan Kenobi introduced the crotch shield. However, it didn't catch on with the clone troopers and his idea of adding the groin plate to the phase 2 armor was phased out during the planning stages of the armor. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Good review. Though I'm surprised not to see any mention of the price, which seems to be this set's biggest shortcoming. It's got a similar piece count to the $20 sets yet it's priced at $25. Granted, it's more substantially armored than any of those, but that's still the biggest reason to think twice about getting this set in my eyes.

Design-wise, it's a really well rounded model with a good selection of new pieces. I'm a little bit disappointed that the review overlooks some of its new recolored elements like white 4M shells, brick yellow (tan) 6M shells, and brick yellow Technic panels. Granted, these three parts also appear in other sets like Cody and Grievous. I definitely think the cape suits Obi-Wan better than Vader, who uses the same cape pattern but attached directly to the back instead of over the shoulders.

One drawback to Obi-Wan compared to the $20 sets (and probably the chief reason he has a lower piece count than some of them despite having more armor overall) is the lack of custom Technic weapons. But there aren't really a lot of points in the Star Wars canon when Obi-Wan uses anything other than a lightsaber.

Good review. Though I'm surprised not to see any mention of the price, which seems to be this set's biggest shortcoming. It's got a similar piece count to the $20 sets yet it's priced at $25. Granted, it's more substantially armored than any of those, but that's still the biggest reason to think twice about getting this set in my eyes.

Design-wise, it's a really well rounded model with a good selection of new pieces. I'm a little bit disappointed that the review overlooks some of its new recolored elements like white 4M shells, brick yellow (tan) 6M shells, and brick yellow Technic panels. Granted, these three parts also appear in other sets like Cody and Grievous. I definitely think the cape suits Obi-Wan better than Vader, who uses the same cape pattern but attached directly to the back instead of over the shoulders.

One drawback to Obi-Wan compared to the $20 sets (and probably the chief reason he has a lower piece count than some of them despite having more armor overall) is the lack of custom Technic weapons. But there aren't really a lot of points in the Star Wars canon when Obi-Wan uses anything other than a lightsaber.

But then again, it's bigger than most sets of similar piece-count.

But then again, it's bigger than most sets of similar piece-count.

Than some of them, yes! But he's actually the same height as Luke, just with shoulder pads, a cape, and whatever you call that crotch-flap instead of a blaster and a set of handcuffs. They even have the exact same piece count.

Oddly, in Great Britain, Luke is priced the same as Obi-Wan, but in the United States, he's priced the same as Jango and Cody. Regional pricing differences like this are not unheard of, but it's a bit rare to see them with constraction sets.

isn't the "crotch-flap" just his robe bottom or somthing like it? i assumed it was supposed to represent cloth bewteen the two similarly-colored leg-shells, which are also supposed to be cloth. o:

I suppose it is, I just didn't know what to call it in the context of this set.

• 4 weeks later...