The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Well, if it is any consolation, Dino Attack RPG actually got pretty mature as far as LEGO-based RPGs go. The only complaint I know of was one member who was somewhat uncomfortable with the presence of an explicitly homosexual character, but even he eventually relented.

That intolerant person was actually violating the rules. I'd have reported him for it.

Really? I didn't realize you could report someone for that sort of thing.

Just throwing my two cents in - if we did backtrack a bit and make this something featuring a cult, one based in a more politically unstable portion of the world would have better access to weapons.

In fact, if we do the El Dorado but-with-Lovecraft setting, I could see a native cult (playable characters please?) serving as yet another problem for the crash survivors/snack for the beasties.

A cult could be interesting, something along the lines of the dark cult seen in The Call of Cthulhu? I could make them playable characters but I'm not entirely sure what you would do as a cultist.

Edited by Atton Rand

but they're primitive tribes, from what I gathered. howabout we sacrifice squids! cause only Cthulhu can have tentacles!

how o you guys pronounce Cthulhu anyways? I pronounce it as "Coo-thoo-loo"

Lovecraft himself actually said that there was no real way to pronounce Cthulhu's name, largely because it isn't so much his true name as it is the closest approximation human vocal cords and produce to an alien language.

Also, goats seem a bit of an... odd choice. I can't help recalling that the cultists in the second part of The Call of Cthulhu were actually kidnapping people out of their homes to be used as sacrifices.

Edited by Atton Rand

Mmh.

And, of course, in dense jungle, it is not unheard of for people there to practice cannibalism. One thing I would ask, though, is that we make this cult/tribe something other than clear-cut, one-dimensional villains - they should have an understandable reason for following the practices they do, and worshiping the eldritch horrors they worship. In modern times, with the increasing threat to the rainforests of Central and South America, it is not entirely unlikely for these to be people defending what they see as their home - and accepting the help of anything they think will let them do that, regardless of the price.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hey, what do you guys think about a Dragon Ball RPG? I'm sure it's been done before but I'm interested in putting my interpretation of it possibly. Currently I'm thinking about basing the plot off of Dragon Ball Online, as I find the idea behind the plot very interesting and I'd want to see it fully fleshed out. However, I certainly wouldn't be able to tackle such a project myself, so I'm going to see if anyone's interested in the idea.

Perhaps Power Levels could be a concept? I'm considering it but I'm trying to find a reasonable limit for such a concept. And the idea of the Dragon Balls being used to revive player characters could also be a part of the RPG, but I'd see it more like being a very rare event.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Mmh.

And, of course, in dense jungle, it is not unheard of for people there to practice cannibalism. One thing I would ask, though, is that we make this cult/tribe something other than clear-cut, one-dimensional villains - they should have an understandable reason for following the practices they do, and worshiping the eldritch horrors they worship. In modern times, with the increasing threat to the rainforests of Central and South America, it is not entirely unlikely for these to be people defending what they see as their home - and accepting the help of anything they think will let them do that, regardless of the price.

I could see something like the Cthulhu Cult performing some kind of ritual that includes cannibalism. In fact come to think of it in The Call of Cthulhu it was heavily implied that the cult exists all over the world. Inspector Legrasse's raid took place in New Orleans, Louisiana, but he also consults a professor who claims to have seen a similar group on an expedition to Greenland. Theoretically with a cult so widespread it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that there could be some slight variations in the rituals of different groups. That could allow for some creative freedom provided we still incorporate some of what was established in the original story.

I will agree that they should be more than two-dimensional villains. I've always found it interesting whenever a work actually manages to make you sympathize with a character while also being disturbed by them. To name some examples Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange (both the book and the controversial Stanley Kubrick film) is a teenage psychopath who enjoys committing acts of "ultraviolence" but at about the halfway point once he is completely messed up in the head thanks to an experimental treatment and unable to function in society it's hard not to sympathize with him; if only because you now understand why he acted the way he did in the first half. Carrie (at least the 1976 film) is the other way around; you spend most of the rising action just wanting to give poor Carrie a hug, but then we get to the somewhat infamous climax where she gets legitimately terrifying, though not totally losing the audience's sympathy. If we could pull off that kind of effect with a Cthulhu Cult of all things... which in itself could tie in with the basic philosophy behind the mythos; the cults were written to seem evil in the Lovecraft's own text but Cthulhu himself isn't so much evil as indifferent, and many of Lovecraft's stories feature an unreliable narrator.

Mm. There are, for the record, cults for other Outer Gods and Great Old Ones.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Indeed. I find Nyarlathotep much more entertaining than Cthulhu - and there are a number of benefits to his presence in an RPG. Unlike Cthulhu, a personal appearance put in by the Crawling Chaos would not be guaranteed to spell physical doom for the survivors, as this trickster god is quite happy to toy with his prey, stringing them along, pointing them towards what appears to be salvation, and pulling every magician's trick in the book out of his hat.

Plus, Cthulhu is very much an ocean-going creature. Not at all fit for El Dorado. Considering the relative number of stories in which they appear, the 'Cthulhu Mythos' has much less original source material for Ol' Squiddy than it does for Nyarlathotep, who appears more often, and conveniently appears to be somewhat more important than the terrible squidfaced monster.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hey, what do you guys think about a Dragon Ball RPG? I'm sure it's been done before but I'm interested in putting my interpretation of it possibly. Currently I'm thinking about basing the plot off of Dragon Ball Online, as I find the idea behind the plot very interesting and I'd want to see it fully fleshed out. However, I certainly wouldn't be able to tackle such a project myself, so I'm going to see if anyone's interested in the idea.

Perhaps Power Levels could be a concept? I'm considering it but I'm trying to find a reasonable limit for such a concept. And the idea of the Dragon Balls being used to revive player characters could also be a part of the RPG, but I'd see it more like being a very rare event.

As a member who was around when the Old School DBZ RPG was around, I can at least say that given the right attention, it can be quite successful and fun, but will require a lot of suspension of disbelief, as well as some kicking logic to the curb. Also, power levels tend to not go so well.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

I think a Dragonball RP could be fun. I've never played Online so the story might be fresh and fun. Anything with multiple saiyans and stuff would be cool. Yeah there would be a suspension of belief since in that show they get knocked through entire mountains and whatnot but honestly I think that would be refreshing.

As a member who was around when the Old School DBZ RPG was around, I can at least say that given the right attention, it can be quite successful and fun, but will require a lot of suspension of disbelief, as well as some kicking logic to the curb. Also, power levels tend to not go so well.

I'll be over here.

Tending to the horrible horrible wounds Dragonball Z left on the laws of physics.

You monsters.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Power levels, if I remember correctly, were openly mocked in the manga. Villains used them and almost always derped up because they relied on power levels, which don't account for cunning and thinking outside of the box.Power levels themselves though would not warrant disapproval from me though. I ran Outbreak with a very successful, though... hard to tweak, custom power level system. It can work, when done right and well.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I say suspend power-levels other then as he said used as a joke at times. Different levels of Super Saiyan work well in the place of power-levels.

Oh and Basilisk. Sometimes physics needs to get kicked in the face by a flying guy with yellow hair who likes to block punches with his face. It just helps balance the fun. :P

Edited by Flex Fiction

Indeed. I find Nyarlathotep much more entertaining than Cthulhu - and there are a number of benefits to his presence in an RPG. Unlike Cthulhu, a personal appearance put in by the Crawling Chaos would not be guaranteed to spell physical doom for the survivors, as this trickster god is quite happy to toy with his prey, stringing them along, pointing them towards what appears to be salvation, and pulling every magician's trick in the book out of his hat.

Plus, Cthulhu is very much an ocean-going creature. Not at all fit for El Dorado. Considering the relative number of stories in which they appear, the 'Cthulhu Mythos' has much less original source material for Ol' Squiddy than it does for Nyarlathotep, who appears more often, and conveniently appears to be somewhat more important than the terrible squidfaced monster.

Fair enough. That does raise the question of how Nyarlothotep will work in the gameplay; like do we have one player control him or just make him an NPC that can be used by anyone?

Well, I certainly didn't enjoy Dragon Ball for its realism. :PGood point. No power levels unless someone comes up with a good system for them.Also, there wont be any Saiyans, but Humans by the time the plot took place would pretty much be cross-bred with the Saiyan race anyway. So they could have a tail or go Super Saiyan.Dragon Ball Online also had Namekians and Majins. Anyone else got any other race ideas, or do those seem fine?

Edited by JiMing

Well, one reason I was rather looking forward to Basilisk's take on a Lovecraft RPG was that he had lined up a player for Nyarlathotep who, in my experience, had proven themselves quite adept at causing absolute mayhem, while still knowing how to balance things so that the most restrained of the Outer Gods doesn't come off as too over-the-top.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

We are really not getting into Lovecraft vs. Dragon Ball Z. Not just because Lovecraft is so clearly superior in every way that the debate would be pointless, but because the debate would get stupid fast.

Anyway, unless you're making a DBZ vs. Lovecraft RPG (please, don't), such a debate is also kind of off-topic.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Other playable races could include Androids or members of whatever Frieza's race is called.

Hm, yes that would work well. But there'd have to be an explanation for why Androids or Frieza's race being involved...

Anyway, unless you're making a DBZ vs. Lovecraft RPG (please, don't), such a debate is also kind of off-topic.

I was just joking. =P

Also, what do you guys think about the RPG being broken up into Episodes/Chapters? They would have players going back to specific moments in time to fix whatever damage is being done(or trying to cause the damage in the first place, if the villains are playable).

Edited by JiMing

A Dragonball RPG would be interesting solely for the fact it's almost impossible to G-moderator in it.

If that's what you think, then don't get involved in it I guess. And it's true, if everyone is overpowered, then no one is.

I didn't mean it as an insult, personally, my interest in anime is.....restricted. That is the kindest term.

We are really not getting into Lovecraft vs. Dragon Ball Z. Not just because Lovecraft is so clearly superior in every way that the debate would be pointless, but because the debate would get stupid fast.

Fair enough. While I'd love to argue that Goku wouldn't be able to destroy Yig, since being a Great Old One he'd be so utterly alien that Goku would go mad from the sight of him, the last thing I need right now is to start up another fight.

So anyway, I think I should recap what we have so far here, just to make sure we're all on the same page:

A present-day airliner crashes into an isolated part of South America where the survivors find an elaborate series of ancient ruins which happen to have inspired the myths of El Dorado and happen to be inhabited by a sinister cult that performs human sacrifices to Nyarlathotep; who also may or may not appear himself. There may also be some Shoggoths and/or Dark Young in their somewhere. Did I miss anything?

Well, if Nyarlathotep is involved, then we'd be facing whatever nasties he controls. Not the Dark Young.

Possibly. If it is an old Elder Thing city, then yeah, Shoggoths.

No saiyans :/

Well, I said that Humans became cross-bred with the Saiyans, so they could have all the traits of a Saiyan. If it really bothers you that much, then I'm sure not what to do.

Edited by JiMing

Nyarlathotep has certainly had dealings with the Mi-Go, though I don't expect to see them hanging around musty old ruins in the middle of the Amazon. I admit that I am not having much luck finding what other creatures follow Nyarlathotep specifically, and do not view the idea of him hijacking another deity's followers as an impossible or altogether unlikely thing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You know what, given the fact that the plot heavily invovles time travel, races like the Saiyans could be made playable if specified they were from the past, sucked in through a disruption in time. Though I would most likely make them a reward in such a situation.

Edited by JiMing

Multiversal Collision
The universe is vast, ever-changing, eternally expanding. It encompasses many worlds, untold locations, and places in the darkest frontiers never explored by any being. It has long been considered the final frontier, space the one region left to be explored.
But there is not just one universe. There are countless alternate realms, realms similar and dissimilar to each other, alike in so many ways, but differing in small, incremental amounts. The system by which they are organized is unknown to most, but it is truly simplicity itself. The closer two universes are together, the more similar they are. Realms side by side will only differ in small respects, in the beginning, at least. As time goes on they will change more and more, until finally, they look nothing alike. Big things have small beginnings, after all. But each world is created in the same way. When a choice occurs in one world, whenever a fork in the road approaches, each world takes its path. But that other path will be taken by a second realm, created in that exact instant.
There are infinite worlds, but they are isolated. They are kept apart, never to touch, never to come into contact with each other. We may know of their existence, but we will never reach them. Walls unseen keep us away. Parallel worlds were doomed to remain a theory, unable to be proven, no matter how sure humanity was.
Until now.
Three months ago, four worlds were altered forever.
Four of the oldest, four of the most different realms anyone could ever find. They differed long, long ago, and any similarities between them are long gone. They had gone through their timelines unaware of the others, unaware that everything was about to change.
It had happened too quickly to react. One moment, everything was normal. The next, the sky had been ripped asunder by lightning, and frightening vortexes of color incomprehensible to the mortal mind. The noise was deafening as the planet itself was ripped apart, the ground shook, the wind raced, the very elements of reality turned against each other. When the dust settled, they knew that things would never be the same again.
Their world was no longer there. They had been transported, along with a section of unknown size from their world, somewhere else. And they weren't the only ones. Three other times, three other places, had been brought with them, smashed and crushed together into a shape they were never meant to occupy. Things would never be the same. But at the same time, things hadn't changed. As the inhabitants of these worlds gathered their wits, they realized that they hadn't moved. Nothing had moved. Their worlds still inhabited the same place they always had, but they were cut off from the rest of their realm. Where a bridge might once have connected one side of a river to the next, it now connected to another place entirely. Their worlds had collided almost seamlessly. Where one ended, another began.
But it did not end there. New worlds have continued arriving since the initial event, integrated seamlessly into this new realm without warning, heralded only by another deafening sound as another crack formed in the fabric of reality.
No one knew how they had arrived, or what these other realms were. Some have chosen to explore, and accept this new reality. Others seek to return to the way they were, and find a way to go home. Others have continued on in the same way they were, fighting against each other, incorporating these new places into decades-old struggles. And yet more have decided to use these changes for profit and personal gain.
After all. Humanity never changes,
-Gameplay-
Welcome to Multiversal Conflict. In case you hadn't guessed from the introduction, this game is set in a place where alternate realities have inexplicably collided, bringing together places and societies that have never known of each other's existence until now. These worlds are radically different, in all possible ways. There are four worlds included at the outset of the game, but more may be added as time goes on (See "New World Approval" below}.
This game is very, very sandbox. There will be plot elements introduced by the staff, but it is largely up to you to decide how things go. Will you try and correct the damage done to these realities? Will you try and rule them all? Or do you simply wish to explore?
-The Setting-
The four realms have merged into one world almost seamlessly. Where one ends, another begins. As new worlds are added this trend will continue, with the new world being dropped into position and expanding the landscape. But I suppose you want to know what you're dealing with.
Earth
Earth is the land most like our own home, but it is not quite as we remember it. This is our world, circa 1940. The world is at war, and this region is no exception. Largely forested, with dense urban populations near the center, this is a world prepared for war. The region is coastal, as it always has been, but rather than the Atlantic Ocean, it borders the channel separating them from the Dominion of Britain. Earth is a force to be reckoned with, despite its somewhat antiquated technology. It's leader, the mayor of the largest city, is wary of the other realms, but retains a sense of curiosity. The largest city is small by modern standards, but it is equipped with factories and shipyards capable of cranking out equipment at a rapid rate. Unlike some of the other realms, its populace has not been caught off guard. After all, they were already prepared for war. Now it's just a different one.
Earth borders both the Dominion of Britain, and Erde. It is separated from the former by a large channel, and the latter by a wide river. Earth's leadership has been in the most contact with the Dominion of Britain, seeing them as a familiar ally in an unknown land. There is one very, very curious thing about this land, however. For unknown reasons, magic users are hardpressed to use their skills here. It has been speculated by some that this is due to a lack of naturally occurring magic, but no one knows for sure. Regardless of the reason, magic is much harder to perform, require more energy, and all but restricting the use of any complex uses.
(Note: This is more or less Earth in the 1940s. Use tech levels accordingly.)
Terra
Terra is the most technologically advanced civilization present, without equal in that regard. Their cities are immaculately maintained, and medical technology is advanced enough to cure all but the most severe illnesses, and heal all but the most grievous wounds. Even the technology in their daily lives is light years ahead of everyone else, with biotechnology and mental interfaces no longer the realm of science fiction, but fact.Interactive holographic displays are common, and brain implants are common among the more wealthy citizens. Smartphones are antiques, and tablets a thing of the past.
However, this is the least politically stable of the realms. For within this apparently utopian society, the seeds of discord have been sown. The region only ended a long civil war weeks before the event that brought these realms together, and there are those within it that seek to use this change of setting to reignite that war, and change the outcome in their favor. Weapons technology is very, very advanced, with the best example being the Valkyrie System armor. So named by the inventor, it is powered armor that takes many, many forms. The original models were reminiscent of the valkyries of Norse mythology, winged, and with a similarly fantastic armor design, thus leading to the name. Though not all take this form any longer, it is still one of the most common designs. These armors and trhe technologies associated with them are usually mass produced, but skilled pilots have been known to have custom models.
The weaponry of this world is highly destructive, and as such, all realms are leery of allowing them to war amongst themselves again. However, the scientifically inclined society is baffled by magic, and cannot figure out how to replicate, counter, or combat it effectively. The two formerly warring factions have but one thing in common; an innate curiosity over anything magical in nature. The war between the two started decades prior, and few truly care about the difference in philosophy that caused it anymore. The atrocities committed by both sides have made it personal, and the two capital cities are eternally at odds.
(Note: Though Terra is technologically advanced, technology must follow some level of logic. Try and keep it consistent with the flavor of the land.)
Erde
Erde took the strangest turn of these four worlds. Where they advanced in science and technology, Erde turned to stranger pursuits. Nestled in the Draconian Mountains, named for the creature that once inhabited them, is Lorem, the land's largest city. Built on the site of the dragon's former lair, it surrounded by a tall stone wall. A central gate leads into an open air marketplace, surrounded by shops and homes of varying construction, though the most common is stone. By the standards of most worlds, Erde's technology is medieval at best. But it compensates with a high degree of magic, with a wide variety of forms present. Some harness magic from the environment, some from their own energy, and others from higher powers of varying kinds. But one thing is consistent; magic comes with a price.
Outside of the mountains, Erde is largely forested, with a few small villages scattered about. Creatures of all kinds and levels of intellect inhabit every corner of the world, some benevolent, some malevolent, and others simply incomprehensible by human standards. Erde is separated from Terra by a thick forest, and from Earth by a wide river. The land has no true ruler, instead, each settlement selects its own through their own methods. The most powerful of these rulers, however, are the council member of Lorem. The council is composed of representatives for the merchants, the warriors, the craftsmen, and every other group of significant size within the city, and makes decisions based on a vote. They are intensely distrustful of technology-driven nations, Terra in particular.
(Note: I am willing to give a degree of freedom with the magic and species found in Erde, but they must make sense. As the setting is largely high fantasy in nature, fiction of that setting should be used as a guideline.)
The Dominion of Britain
In contrast with the lush forests of Erde, or the crisp, clean cities of Terra, the Dominion of Britain is a land dominated by steam-powered marvels. In this world, Britain leaped forward with the Industrial Revolution, advancing themselves at a rapid rate. They reclaimed their status as a colonial power, and continued along their path. The entire land has been industrialized, the landscape dominated by factories and zeppelins. Steam is the power of choice, and it fuels everything from vehicles to factories. Zeppelins crowd the sky, the vehicle of choice for travel and for military. The cities are controlled chaos, the air filled with noise and water vapor. Fashion never truly advanced past the Victorian era, though the necessity of certain items for the safe operation of steam powered devices has changed designs a bit. Electricity is used, but it is mostly reserved for powering lights and telephones. The largest city, London, is easily one of the largest cities in any of the realms, its technological prowess matched only by Terra despite its antiquated methods. The Dominion is ruled by a long line of monarchs, backed by an elected Parliament.
It borders Earth and Terra, separated from both by a wide expanse of water. Docks are built on either side to aid in travel, as the inhabitants are quite curious about the realms around them.
(Note: The Dominion falls squarely into the genre of steampunk. Use said genre as the guideline for technology and fashion.)
-Approval-
Fill out this profile template, and post your profile for approval in the Discussion topic.
Name:
Appearance:
Equipment:
Abilities:
Weaknesses:
Bio:
-World Approval-
If you wish to create a new world to be added, fill out this approval form.
Name: This is pretty self explanatory. What is the location in this realm called?
Setting: Describe the place. Is it mountainous? Lots of lakes? What are the major locations? Cities? Use as much detail as you can, images or maps if you want.
Description (Include any major conflicts, if applicable): What is this land like? Is it a post-apocalyptic world? A utopia? Describe what kind of world it is we're dealing with. The political structure, warring factions, any major issues or conflicts, all of it goes here.
Technology Level/Magic System: Technology and magic, no matter how advanced or cool it is, follows certain rules. If there is magic, outline how it works, what it can do, and what its limitations are here. Same goes for technology.
World creation is significantly more challenging than it appears at first. I'm going to put the disclaimer right here; if a world is not carefully constructed, it won't be approved. It's not that the staff want to prevent you from creating your own worlds, but we have to make sure they're carefully considered and created. Because otherwise we'll end up with a sea of half-formed places. Worlds should be posted for approval in the discussion topic.
Note: Worlds that are not original in nature are tentatively banned. This is a universe where all universes can collide, but they should be original in nature. That said, if you wish to use a universe from preexisting fiction, you will have to make a case to the staff over PM. This should consist of an essay detailing why you should be allowed to use an adaptation of an existing fictional world.
-Rules-
1. No godmodding. Yes, there is magic. Yes, there is advanced technology. But each one follows very specific rules as to how it functions, and what its weaknesses are. You cannot autohit (Hitting another character without giving a chance to react), you cannot insta-dodge (Dodging things you shouldn't be able to), you cannot bunny (Controlling someone else's character without their permission), and you cannot meta-game (Your character knowing things they cannot and should not know).
2. Use IC (In character) and OOC (Out of Character). For example:
IC:
Joe ran down the street, glancing over his shoulder hoping that he had lost his pursuers. Unfortunately, he hadn't.
OOC: Anyone want to give him a hand?
3. OOC discussion belongs in the Discussion topic. Only two OOC-only posts will be allowed in a row before warnings are issues.
4. You may have up to five characters.
5. Respect the staff. This should go without saying, but any staff members are where they are for a reason. If you have an issue with one of them, or one of their rulings, talk to them about it. If you feel that they are still being unreasonable, take it up with one of the other staff members. They will make a ruling from there.
6. This game follows a tiered punishment system. Your first offense will result in an official warning. This is your one chance to shape up and turn back without real consequence. Your second offense will result in severe injury to either the offending character, or a character of the staff's selection if the offense occurred OOC. Third will result in character death. The fourth will result in a temporary ban of duration selected at the time of punishment, and the fifth and final offense will result in a permanent ban. Leave, do not come back. Any one of these steps may be skipped over if the action is severe enough, but a final ban requires a majority vote of all staff members, and can only be administered by either the Head GM or the Co-GM.
-Staff-
Head GM: The Snark Knight
Co-GM: Lord of Adders Black
Here, my friends, is the first draft of the Reality-esque RPG discussed a while back. Comments, questions, and criticisms would be appreciated.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG